Chapter 2

녹 (Rust)

Months after, Irene blended well with her university mates. She was friendly and it was easy for Irene to mingle around she’s one of the school belles in the faculty.  Jessica had left for a business trip in US so Irene stayed with Tiffany and Yuri.

Yuri was busy that day so she couldn’t go home together with Irene. So the girl decided to go home by herself; promising her Mommy Yuri that she wouldn’t linger around for too long.  But Irene was hungry and stopped by at a nearby cafe. 

She ordered a sandwich meal and she sat there; watching people walking by her and in-out of the cafe. Irene always has this habit of scrutinizing and watching people from afar. She likes to observe which her Mommy Fany said she got this trait from her Omma.

Her omma. That dreaded person whom her Mommy hates the most and Irene knew a little or two about what happened between her Mommy and her omma. She left her Mommy when she was still in her Mommy’s stomach. She has never seen her photo and nobody told her much except for the fact that Mommy hates her a lot.

She found out about her omma when she was 16 years old. Irene stumbled upon some old photos in her Mommy’s bedroom when she did some spring cleaning. She saw her Mommy and another woman standing close together. They were all smiles and that’s when Irene realized how beautiful her Mommy was. But instead of asking her Mommy, Irene asked Tiffany instead.

“Sigh, it’s a long story, Irene. Your mother really hates this person so much. We have to be careful with these photos. Where did you find them?”

“I found them in Mommy’s room. She kept in a box and hid it behind the cupboard. I was vacuuming the room when I found it.”

“Irene, you were born to a lesbian couple. Your Mommy carried you but your flesh and blood mother is this lady over here.”

Tiffany pointed to Taeyeon. Irene frowned.

“Your Mommy was a surrogate mother. They had IVF just to get pregnant and it took them a lot of times before you decided to stick around.”

“So Mommy gave birth to me but I’m not related to her at all?”

“Don’t say that. Your mother was so happy when she got pregnant with you. But this woman here destroyed that happiness in just one night.”

That was when Irene knew what happened. This woman in question tore her Mommy’s heart apart and because she was resulted from this woman; her Mommy couldn’t look at her at all. She hates this woman and in return, hating her as well.

Irene was upset initially but being a sensible girl, Irene ironed out everything. Even though her Mommy wasn’t there for her that much but she has given her everything she needed. For instance, Irene wanted a smart phone when she was in middle school. Most of her classmates were just holding a normal 2G phone but Jessica found out what her daughter wanted. So she got the first iphone 3 for her daughter.

Irene was surprised but delighted at the same time. All of her friends were envious of her and that was what made Irene popular in school. And when she got into high school, Jessica opened a bank account for her. She brought the girl to the bank with Tiffany and got her a bank account.

“Would you like a joint-account with your daughter?”

Irene didn’t dare to look up. She wouldn’t even dare to dream that her mother would acknowledge that she’s indeed her daughter but what Jessica replied to the bank officer surprised her.

“Yes, I would like have a joint-account with my daughter. But I’m getting an ATM card for her as well. Can I put a limit withdrawal for her?”

“Yes, certainly do.”

“Both of us should sign for this account.”

Irene listened attentively. She wasn’t offended with Jessica’s suggestion that they should both sign before any authorization goes through. She was delighted that Jessica acknowledged her presence as her daughter.

“Oh, besides that, I have two credit cards with the bank. Can you send two supplementary cards for my daughter under both accounts?”

“Yes, we can do that, Miss Jung.”

“Thanks, so my daughter can use her ATM card immediately?”

“Yes, she just needs to register her PIN number and she can use it after that.”

Irene was on cloud nine just because Jessica addressed her as her daughter.

Since then, Irene was convinced that her Mommy loves her. She cares about her but Irene just reminded her too much of her omma. That’s the reason why she wasn’t really upset if Jessica didn’t talk to her that much. It didn’t change the fact that she’s indeed Jessica’s daughter.

Suddenly, Irene heard a gang of girls rushing into the cafe. There were 3 girls and they probably knew each other.  Two of them were a little rowdy and one of them was a little reserved and quiet.

“YA, MAKNAE!”

“You were late!”

“Just because you’re taller than I am, you can step all over me?!”

“Unnie, you’re the slowpoke. Don’t blame me!”

“WHY YOU!”

“Okay, okay enough. Don’t make such a din here!”

“Let’s order!”

The tallest of the three ran forward to the counter. 

“Why is she the maknae?”

“She popped out two years later.”

“But why is she the tallest one?”

“She has good genes, I guess.”

“And why am I friends with you?”

“Why?”

“You’re always on her side!”

“Stop being whiny!  Let’s go before Joy starts spending all the money.”

“YA PARK SOO YOUNG!”

“OH MY GOD! DID YOU HAVE TO SCREAM MY NAME?!”

Irene was giggling away. The girls were so adorable. They were probably younger than her since they were still wearing their uniforms.  Irene momentarily looked away when someone called out to her. She turned and was face to face with the one of the girls earlier on.

“Hi?”

“Yeah?”

“Can we share seats with you? The cafe is usually fully packed during this hour. Are you with someone or alone?”

“Oh, sure. You can sit here. There are three of you, right?”

The girl tilted her head.

“Well, I saw you and your friends entering the cafe earlier on.”

“Ah, yes. They usually make a grand entrance each time.”

Irene grinned and then put her bags away. She scanned around quickly and the girl was right. The cafe was full with customers.

“You can sit here. I’m leaving soon anyway.”

“Oh, thanks! I’m Seulgi by the way.”

“Irene here.”

“I should call you unnie, right?”

“Hm?”

Seulgi was pointing to her file on the side.

“Wow, you’re from the most prestigious universities in Seoul. You must be really smart!”

“Nah, I just got lucky.”

“I want to be just like you then!”

“Huh?”

“I want to study hard and go to your university. Maybe you can teach me or something.”

Irene smiled and nodded. Just then the other two returned; with loud voices.

“Hey, you found a seat!”

“Can you stop screaming like that?”

Seulgi was obviously embarrassed but the girl didn’t care. The taller one was scooting in and then realized Irene was there.

“Uh, can I sit here?”

“Park Soo Young, you usually ask before sitting down.”

“I didn’t notice her and stop calling me by full name!”

The younger one jabbed the other girl’s arm before Seulgi hushed them down.

“Girls, behave! Anyway this is Irene unnie.”

“Unnie?”

“She looks too young to be our unnie.”

Seulgi smacked the noisy one again.

“OW! Stop doing that!”

“Stop rebutting my words and listen!”

Irene was amused. They must be really close.

“Irene unnie, these are my friends. The taller one is Joy and this one is Wendy.”

“Hi girls.”

“Hi!!”

“Wendy, what did I just say?”

“What? I’m just excited!”

“Wow, you studied in a good university!”

Joy spotted the file as well.

“OH WOW! I WANTED TO STUDY TOO!”

“OH DEAR GOD! WENDY SON! CAN YOU HOLD YOUR HORSES!?!”

Irene was certainly amused right now.

-

Jessica was flipping through her magazine when someone patted on her shoulder. She looked up and smiled immediately. She stood up and hugged the person tightly.

“God, I miss you!”

“You should miss me. You haven’t seen me in a while.”

“Yeah, so much for being a good sister huh?”

“Hey, I have to work too you know?!”

“Krystal, I really miss you so much.”

Jessica was catching up with her one and only sister, Krystal Jung. She’s in her late 30s now and married to a perfect gentleman. They’re living in UK now since Krystal’s husband moved his business to Europe.

“How are you, sister?”

“I’m good.”

“Yeah, you don’t look old.”

“Shut up.”

“How’s Irene?”

Jessica’s smile faded quickly.

“She’s fine too.”

“When will I ever see your daughter again? I haven’t seen her since I saw her at the hospital and that was 20 years ago, unnie.”

“Krystal, you know I’m not close to her.”

“How long are you going to stay like this?”

“Did Tiffany call you about this?”

“No, Mom did.”

Jessica was defeated. Everyone chided her about Irene each time she met up with them. She was tired of it but she knew she couldn’t run away from it.

“She’s doing fine. She’s studying at Seoul National University.”

“Wow, that’s awesome. She’s a prodigy huh?”

“She’s smart.”

“And aren’t you proud of her?”

Jessica managed a soft smile.

“Which mother isn’t proud of her child’s achievements?”

“Then did you embrace and congratulate her?”

Jessica kept her silence. She never did anything; just secretly praised her when Irene was fast asleep. Krystal shook her head and leaned closer. She was reaching out for her sister’s hand.

“It has been 20 years, unnie. How long are you going to hold this grudge towards that woman and vent it on your daughter?”

“I’m not venting it on Irene. I’m just not used to her. It has been 20 years and I couldn’t even look at her in the eye for more than 5 minutes. It would just be an awkward silence. And besides that, she looks exactly like her. I could see her face in Irene’s.”

“You cannot forgive her?”

“No, I can never forgive her. She didn’t even care about me. She didn’t even care about Irene. She didn’t even visit Irene when she was born. I was really torn and tormented. Since that day, I took it as she was dead.”

“Unnie, that’s not nice.”

“I don’t care, Krystal. My heart is torn into half whenever I think of Irene. Do you think I don’t care about her? Krystal, I love my daughter but I just cannot bring myself to be close to her. It’s all her Omma’s fault!”

Jessica was agitated. She couldn’t control her temper and Krystal was already pulling her sister in her embrace. She knew she shouldn’t touch on this matter but she felt sorry for her niece.

“I’m sorry, Unnie. I shouldn’t bring this matter up. It’s just that Mom’s worried about Irene and you. She misses Irene.”

Jessica pulled away.

“Mom misses her?”

“Yes, Mom misses her granddaughter. You only brought Irene to her once and then not anymore. The old lady is curious about her granddaughter.”

Jessica was feeling guilty.

“Mom was asking if it’s okay for us to visit Irene instead.”

“She’s coming to Seoul?”

Krystal nodded.

“I’m coming with her. I want to see Irene too.”

“Then your husband?”

“He will come later when he’s done with his work.”

Jessica gave a thought before deciding.

“I’m leaving this Friday. Maybe we can see if we can get flight tickets to Seoul.”

“Are you serious?”

“Yes, I’ll pay for the tickets.”

“You don’t mind we’re coming to visit Irene?”

“She doesn’t really know her family. Maybe this is the best time to introduce you and Mom to her.”

Krystal smiled widely. Her sister was changing a little.

“You don’t have to worry about a thing, unnie. Irene’s your daughter and nothing can change that fact. I know you love her deeply in your heart.”

Jessica nodded.

-

Yuri was typing furiously on her laptop. She’s not only a lecturer but she’s also a researcher in the university.  She co-writes books on business management and even business magazines. So she was trying to finish an article when her house phone rang.

“Tiffany!”

She started screaming but her girlfriend was in the bathroom. She couldn’t hear her. Yuri sighed and rolled her chair towards the living room. She grabbed the phone and answered.

“Hello?”

“Yo, !”

Yuri sat up immediately and frowned. There could only be one person who would call her that - Im Yoona.

“, did you just call me?”

“Gee, you don’t recognize your ?”

“What a way of greeting. And how did you know it’s me? What if the caller turned out to be my girlfriend instead?”

“Oh please, Tiffany unnie has the sweetest voice. Your voice is ugly.”

“Both of us have husky voices!”

“I’m just biased towards you.”

“Shut up.”

“Aw, cheer up. I miss you!”

“You’re such a pesky cousin!”

“I haven’t seen you for 10 years and this is how you’re treating me?!”

Im Yoona left Seoul 10 years ago. She has found a job and required her to transfer to Singapore. So Yoona left and she hasn’t seen Yuri for the longest time.

“You’re heartless. In a span of 10 years, you didn’t even come home to visit us!”

“You’re the heartless one! At least your mother has visited me in Singapore!”

“I was busy!”

“So was I!”

“Do we have to argue over the phone?”

“I’m just calling to tell you I’m coming homeeee!”

“REALLY?! LIKE FINALLY?!”

“YESS~”

“You’re returning to Seoul for good?”

“Yup, we’re transferred back to Seoul. Our HQ in Singapore has decided to branch out the office in Seoul to other parts of Korea. We’re expanding so I’m returning to ensure the smooth operations.”

“Are you a manager now?”

“Ehem, I’m the general manager now.”

“Wow!”

“Respect, please!”

“Tch.”

“I’m returning this Friday. And I need to look for an apartment once I’m there.”

“You can stay with me.”

“I would love to but I can’t. I have another person coming along with me.”

“You’re seeing someone?!”

“No, she’s my superior.”

“Wait, if you’re the GM, your superior is..”

“She’s my managing director. She’s like me. She has been staying in Singapore for the last 20 years. So she doesn’t have a home in Korea.”

“Why are you staying with her?”

“She suggested it. Well, I’m looking for an apartment for her.”

“Do you need help? Tiffany can help.”

“Ah, actually I called to look for her.”

Yuri rolled her eyes.

“Over my dead body.”

“Oh come on! You just mentioned her if I need help!”

“You’re too pretty.”

“What kind of reason is that?!”

“She’s busy.”

“You’re unbelievable!”

-

Tiffany was on the phone with Yoona. Yuri finally allowed Yoona’s call to pass through. Irene was already at home. She was studying while Yuri made dinner. Tiffany appeared in the kitchen.

“So what did my stupid cousin want?”

“She’s asking to look out for some apartments near Gangnam.”

“You’re helping her?”

“I’m a property agent.”

“Okay.”

“Can you chill? You know I love you, right?”

“Yes but she had the hots for you too.”

“Well, she’s not anymore.”

“I’m a jealous person.”

“I could see that and don’t be. Furthermore, Yoona’s your cousin.”

“I know. But you’re so beautiful and I love you so much. You cannot blame me. Your eye smiles are so prominent.”

Tiffany grinned from ear to ear. Yuri’s such a sweet and loving girlfriend. Tiffany never regretted choosing her as her life partner. How she found Yuri was amazing.  Tiffany was in a wreck; looking after Soo Yeon and Irene. Baby Irene wasn’t difficult; it was only her depressed mother was giving Tiffany a lot of problems.

Tiffany knew Yoona first but it was Yuri who caught her heart. Yuri had been a great help despite knowing the additional emotional baggage that Tiffany was burdened with.

Tiffany was in love with Soo Yeon since high school. But Soo Yeon fell for the moody Kim Taeyeon. Taeyeon had many charms and Soo Yeon was so attracted to Taeyeon’s singing voice. It was during a school talent time that got Soo Yeon head over heels with Taeyeon.

Tiffany left her love unspoken. She got hurt so badly but she couldn’t give up on Soo Yeon just as yet. She remained by her side as her best friend. She saw Soo Yeon through her dating years; her marriage years but when Soo Yeon got pregnant, things changed.

Kim Taeyeon wasn’t home all the time. Soo Yeon was often alone at home; she was a little weak when she was pregnant. Her body was always feeling tired and weak. It was Tiffany who took good care of her and Tiffany found out about Taeyeon’s affair.

Of course she didn’t want to alarm Soo Yeon first. She wanted to confront Taeyeon herself but who knew, Soo Yeon was following her quietly from behind. So when Tiffany barged into Taeyeon’s office and exposed the relationship, Soo Yeon stumbled upon the secret as well.

Tiffany knew she has lost Jung Soo Yeon since that day. It was the same night when Irene was delivered. There was complication and they had to remove the baby immediately. And Tiffany truly understood why Soo Yeon just couldn’t bring herself to accept Irene. Irene was born on the same day she stumbled upon Taeyeon’s extramarital affair.

It didn’t help that Kim Taeyeon didn’t even visit or find her to explain her actions. She just disappeared into thin air. Tiffany was told that Taeyeon quit her job and had left Seoul for another country.

So one thing led to another; she found Yuri when she needed some space to breathe. Yuri was sweet and gentle; cuddling her in her tight embrace; comforting and consoling her; encouraging her to live her life and then falling in love with her.

Tiffany never told Soo Yeon about her feelings but Jung Soo Yeon wasn’t stupid. She reminded Tiffany that someone was waiting for her and that person was Yuri. So when Yuri came into her life, Soo Yeon decided to make a change with her life.

She changed her name to Jessica Jung. She took over her father’s business and rose above everyone else. She climbed the corporate ladder really quick and Jessica became a lot busier after that.

But poor Baby Irene was the victim. And Tiffany felt sorry for her. That’s why she and Yuri tried to fill Irene’s life with lots of love and concern. And Yuri did a great job.

Irene grew up beautifully.

“Why are you in a daze?”

Yuri’s voice snapped Tiffany out of her thoughts. She shook her head and hugged Yuri tightly.

“Irene’s sleeping.”

“Oh? She doesn’t want to eat?”

“She said she has eaten just now.”

“Just leave her some. She might wake up later.”

“Okay, let’s have our dinner then. I need to get back to my article. Professor Shim wants it by tomorrow.”

“Yes baby.”

Tiffany hooked arms with her girlfriend and prayed to God that she will stay with Yuri forever.

-

Yoona was reading a magazine when she heard the door opening. She sprang up on her feet and ran towards the door. Another lady was skimming through. She looked up with a questioning look on her face.

“Why are you grinning like that?”

“Erika, I’ve got someone to help us to get an apartment in Seoul.”

“Oh, that’s great.”

“She will send some apartments photos over and you decide.”

“Sure.”

The lady was wearing a black blazer and carried a briefcase. She took out her blazer and threw it on the sofa. She sank immediately into the middle of couch and raised her feet up.

“Tiring day?”

“Yup, why aren’t you home so early?”

“I had a meeting with one of our clients and then I headed home.”

“Okay.”

“Erika, aren’t you excited to return home?”

Erika kept quiet. She was staring at the empty glass on the coffee table. Was she excited to be home?

“I haven’t gone back to Korea for the last 20 years.”

“Seriously? Don’t you have a family there?”

Erika’s eyes turned watery but she looked away and grabbed her blazer.

“My parents are in Busan. I called them often though.”

“They must be really happy to meet you again.”

“Yes, I hope so.”

Yoona smiled and then pointed to the dining table.

“I’ve cooked dinner. I’ve let your share in the microwave. I’m going out later.”

“Going party again?”

“Yeah.”

“And I wonder why you’re single. Doesn’t clubbing give you higher chances to meet girls?”

“I’ve met plenty and lots of beautiful girls but I’m just not interested in anyone.”

“You’re picky.”

“Well, you’re the same too. I haven’t seen you with anyone before.”

Erika smiled weakly before shaking her head.

“Lock the door and bring your keys. Don’t expect me to open the door for you.”

She went back into her room; leaving Yoona bewildered.

“Erika Kim, I wonder how lonely can you get.”

She shrugged her shoulders and prepared to change.

She’s going to party for the last time.

-

Erika took her clothes off and grabbed her towel. She the shower and stood under the water. She clasped her arms around her body tightly and letting the water washed away with her tears. She was thinking of someone.

Erika Kim had done a huge mistake 20 years ago. She had let a perfect woman slipped away from her grasp and she has lost that person forever. She wondered why she did what she did and why she was so damn stupid.

It was a big stupid mistake that tainted her life forever. That mistake was the one what made Erika Kim changed so much. She looked up to the ceiling and her memories played on rewind.

“Soo Yeon..”

She whispered softly.

“I’m sorry... I’m really sorry, baby.”

It still hurt after so many years.

-

Irene was sleeping when her phone beeped. She rubbed her eyes gently and turned to look at the time. It was almost 3 am and she wondered who had left her a message. Nevertheless, she grabbed her phone and sat up. She was half asleep but her eyes went really huge seconds later.

She never expected this. She could never imagine that she would receive a message from this number. Irene saved this number in her phone as “My Dearest Mommy”. But her Mommy hardly sends her messages or even calls her.

So this time, Irene was ecstatic.

“Irene, this is Mommy. I’m coming home in the next few days. Can you pick me up at the airport this Friday?”

First time in her life, her Mommy requested for her assistance.

First time in her life, her Mommy addressed her as HER MOMMY.

And for the first time in her life, Irene replied with her hands shook with excitement and happiness.

“Yes, I would love to, Mommy!”

She waited with a berated breath. Then another message came in.

“I’ve sent my flight details to your email. And why aren’t you sleeping? It’s late in Seoul, right? Go to sleep.”

She was too pumped up to sleep anymore. But she wished her Mommy good night nevertheless.

“I will. Good night, Mommy.”

The message was really quick. Simple and straightforward but Irene would save this message forever.

“Good night, Irene.”

Irene was on cloud nine once again.

-