Chapter 20

녹 (Rust)

I was supposed to stop at chapter 20 but looks like i have to extend for another few chapters. The story is coming to an end. We will see what happen. Whether its TaengSic or YoonSic, this is just a story. 

I have differing opinions from many readers. But I already have this couple in mind when I wrote this story. So, if you don't wish to read it anymore, please accept my apologies. 

I do have the intention to end some characters with deaths. 

But I might change my mind again.

Anyway, please enjoy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Irene was surprised at how comfortable Professor Choi’s apartment was. It was a small studio with a queen sized bed, right in the middle of the hall. The kitchen was on the left side fitted with a counter bar table and a small glass bowl-like-sink in the middle. There was a balcony behind the kitchen where Professor Choi probably did her laundry. A small sized washing machine was at the right corner of the balcony and an arm rest chair in the middle of it.

“Wow, it’s small but seems cozy.”

“Yeah, I’m just one person. I don’t need such big space.”

“But wouldn’t your bed smell when you cook?”

Professor Choi smiled before she pressed onto a button. The space between the kitchen and the hall was separated by a glass screen. There was a ventilator right above the stove as well as the kitchen window.

“Oh.”

“That would separate the smell. So after I cook, the smell would just stay in the kitchen.”

“Then how did you get out?”

“It would take about an hour for the smell to go away. So I’ll eat here.”

She pointed to the counter bar table. Irene nodded and was impressed with the way Professor Choi designed her small space.

“I don’t really cook at home. It’s just so rare that I do.”

“Ah, that explains the clean kitchen.”

Professor Choi grinned widely before pulling her fridge door. She grabbed two packet juices and threw one to Irene.

“You can sit on the bed.”

“It’s okay; I’ll sit on the sofa.”

“Oh, okay. I’ll find some spare clothes for you to change into.”

Professor Choi tottered over to her cupboard. She pulled out some old t-shirt and sweat pants that she used to wear in college. They should fit Irene now.

“Wow, you still keep this?”

“Yeah, I just love them.”

Irene pulled out the t-shirt and saw the name of the school.

“SMU?”

“Singapore Management University.”

“Oh? You studied overseas?”

“Yeah, I did. My father was working there for almost 40 years. I studied there from high school up to university. Then I worked there for a couple of years before returning to Seoul.”

“Awesome.”

Professor Choi winked at her before grabbing the towel for Irene.

“The bathroom is at the back. You can take shower first. I’ll cook some ramen for us. Are you hungry? Is Ramen enough?”

Irene nodded and smiled.

“It’s good enough.”

“Okay, go wash up. I’ll wait.”

20 minutes later, Irene appeared in the kitchen. She wore Soo Young’s t-shirt and it fitted her perfectly. Of course it would. Erika used to wear that t-shirt.

“You’re done!”

“Yeah, you can take shower now if you want to.”

“Nah, I need my food first.”

“Shikshin?”

“You betcha!”

Irene somehow managed a small laugh and Professor Choi was relieved. The girl was a little intense when she was driving home earlier on. Professor Choi had to do something to win the girl’s trust.

“Come over here.”

“Hee.”

Irene’s mouth was watery. The ramen smelled so good and there were plenty of ingredients in hers. Side dishes were abundant too.

“Wow.”

“I bet you’re hungry now.”

Irene nodded eagerly.  She settled down immediately and gobbled the food down. Professor Choi looked on with a smile. The girl was certainly hungry though she denied it earlier on. They had a quiet dinner but Irene chipped in happily; complimenting on the delicious ramen.

Professor Choi watched Irene as she mentally compared Irene with Erika. How could she not see it before? Irene is Erika Kim’s alter ego. The way she ate her ramen; picking on the ingredients she likes and putting those she didn’t fancy aside; and how her eyes drew out more expressions even when the girl wasn’t talking much. They were the same as Erika’s.

The two spent the night talking about their lives. Well, Irene wasn’t really interested to talk about hers so she was listening to Professor Choi’s past instead.

“It was really weird to be in a foreign country with limited knowledge of the English language.”

“So they speak English more often?”

“Yeah, that country is made of people with difference races, language and religion. So English is their mainstream language for communication with one another.”

“It must be tough on you.”

“I’m lucky that my father can speak English well. I learn from him.”

“Wow, you have a memorable childhood.”

Irene’s voice trailed off and Professor Choi stretched out for her hand immediately. She squeezed it tightly.

“You can always continue to make wonderful memories in the future too.”

“What kind of wonderful memories could I have?”

“You still have a family.”

Irene looked away.

“The word ‘family’ hurts me a lot. I have two mothers but I grew up with none.”

“Are you still mad at your Mommy?”

“I’m not. But I’m disappointed. I resent the fact that I was born under such circumstances and it wasn’t even my fault. I didn’t ask to be born in the first place.”

Tears were evident in the poor girl’s eyes and Professor Choi was obligated to embrace the younger woman in her arms. Irene is Erika’s daughter.

“Sometimes we were born into this world for a reason. God has planned our lives but perhaps maybe he wasn’t really nice to you as a child. However I strongly believe he has better plans for you in the future.”

Irene looked up and stared into her Professor’s eyes. Soo Young was taken aback at the same painful expression Irene bore was exactly the same as Erika’s when she met her 20 years ago. Soo Young smiled before speaking up again.

“You know, I said the same thing to someone years ago. She was pitiful and almost pathetic when I met her accidentally for the first time. She was a beggar on the street; she was a foreigner who came to Singapore without knowing anything. She had nothing on her.  She was ridiculed; strangers threw her snide looks and some even spit at her.”

Irene frowned.

“That person’s life was that bad?”

“Well, at that point of time, it was. I saw her a lot before I saved her from some thugs on the street. She used to sit at the corner of the street. I worked for a local restaurant selling Korean food. Her hair was unkempt and unclean. She smelled like trash and she was almost sickly. One night, after I was done with my shift, I saw some thugs were attacking her. I called the police and chased them away. But the damage was done. Her head was bloodied.”

Irene listened earnestly. Soo Young knew how to capture her attention. The girl has a good heart as Soo Young could see the pitiful look in Irene’s eyes for that person she hardly knew. Well, literally.

“Then what happened?”

“I saved her. I took her to the hospital and paid for her treatment. That was when I realized she’s a Korean.”

Irene’s face changed. Soo Young anticipated she knew who this person was.

“Irene, I’m not telling you this because I wanted to help her. But I wanted you to know that her life wasn’t that all red and rosy. She regretted deeply and it hurt her so much because she left you and Jessica.”

“I don’t care what happened to her back then. She has done a huge mistake towards Mommy.”

“And she has done her dues for that.”

“She has done them well.”

“She worked really hard to be where she is right now. Irene, it’s unfair that you’re following your emotions and judged Erika like that.”

“We’re even then.”

“At least you have them both now.”

“What do you mean?”

“Erika’s father chased her out of the house. Her family business was snatched by the same woman who seduced your mother. She was stripped to nothing and Erika went from a rich woman to a poor one who has nothing to her name anymore. True, she could crawl back into your Mommy’s arms and beg her to take Erika back but she didn’t want your Mommy to live in misery with her. She has nothing left to offer for you. You could live in poverty if she had returned to your Mommy.”

Irene didn’t say anything. She just remained quiet. Professor Choi sighed and got up to the nearest book shelf. She pulled out an album and put it on her lap. She turned the pages and stopped at one photo. She pushed the album to Irene.

“Take a look at this photo.”

Irene refused but Professor Choi persuaded her.

“Please, Irene. Look at this photo for just one minute.”

Irene glanced to her side and saw a photo of a totally messy and dishevelled girl in appearance. Her face was dirty too. There was a huge bandage around her head.

“This is Erika when I took her back to my place that night when I saved her.”

Irene’s eyes widened.

“She looked so much different, right? That was her 20 years ago; the same year she abandoned your mother and you in Seoul. She came to Singapore with no money. She was so pathetic and so pitiful that my roommate offered her to stay with us. We are all Koreans and I truly feel for Erika.”

Irene caught that. She jerked up and saw Soo Young staring lovingly at Erika’s hideous photo. She could see how her Professor’s eyes sparkled.

“Wait. You like her?”

“I have always been.”

“Wha – what?!”

“I like Erika for the longest time but she’s too hung up on your Mommy. She loves Soo Yeon so much that she wouldn’t even consider others who came into her life after that.”

“What do you mean?”

Soo Young gave a sad smile.

Flashback

“Erika! I’m going to school!”

Soo Young was screaming at the top of her lungs. She was wearing her jacket when Erika appeared in front of her; clean and proper. Soo Young looked up at the mirror and Erika’s clean appearance reflected in the mirror. She was taken aback when she could finally see Erika properly.

“Wow.”

She whispered in a breath.

“Soo – Soo Young ssi..”

“Eh?”

“Thanks for letting me stay here for the night. I – I think I should go.”

“NO!”

Soo Young turned abruptly; her reply startled Erika.

“I mean, you need proper nutrition to get well soon. The doctor said you need proper and clean place to rest. Your wound on your head hasn’t still healed. You should stay here until the doctor removes the stitches.”

“But...”

“Don’t worry; my roommate doesn’t mind. She would prefer you to stay here too.”

“But I cannot stay here for free.”

“Erm, you can always clean our dorm. You should see the messy state it has become.”

Erika glanced around and Soo Young was already throwing her dirty linens under her pillow. Erika giggled softly.

“Well, I can do your laundry if you want me to stay here.”

“That’s great! Do I need to pay you?”

“That’s not necessary. You saved my life and gave me a shelter. I’d do anything.”

Soo Young was relieved and happy at the same time. The pretty girl was going to live with her. Hyomin was going to laugh at her later on but she didn’t care. She was already attracted to Erika Kim.

-

“Erika, I’m going now!”

“Hyomin, your lunch box!”

“Ah, I’ve almost forgotten about it. Thanks Erika!”

Hyomin threw herself at Erika and hugged her tightly. Someone was watching with a pair of green eyes. She poked into her pancakes incessantly.  She was jealous of Hyomin and Erika’s close contact. And that stupid Hyomin knew something about her.

“Stop poking the pancakes ferociously. They are innocent.”

Hyomin stuck her tongue out; Soo Young wished she could poke her instead.

“What’s wrong, Soo Young?”

Erika finally noticed what that girl had done to her poor pancakes.

“Oh, I was just letting the heat out.”

“Ah.”

“Tch.”

“Shut up, Hyomin!”

-

“There! You got the job!”

“Thanks, Soo Young!”

“I know you can do it!”

“You know, I was enjoying myself working at the restaurant.”

“You know, you’re smarter than just a waitress. Uncle Shim is impressed with you.”

“You told him about my family, right?”

“Uncle Shim knows about you.”

Erika kept quiet and looked away. She was always uncomfortable when it’s about her family.

“Erika, I don’t really know what happen to your family or aware of your past. I’m just sincere in helping you to get a job and settle down here in Singapore. You told me you ran away from Seoul because you wanted to start anew; start a new life.”

Erika slowly turned to face Soo Young. She was grateful towards Soo Young but she was completely unaware of the lady’s feelings towards her.

“Soo, I’m thankful for everything you have done for me. You’re right. I have to build my life all over again so that I can return to Seoul one day to meet my family and ..the woman I love.”

Soo Young nodded. She knew about Erika’s love life. Erika used to scream “Soo Yeon” while sleeping and Soo Young would see tears rolling from the corner of her eyes. The latter would be the one wiping them away.

“Yes you should. You should work hard and win that lady’s heart once again. And you should meet your daughter soon.”

-

“Soo Young, are you seriously going to help her despite knowing she would never date anyone else including you?”

Hyomin was appalled to witness how much Soo Young was helping Erika.

“When you love someone, you would do anything to see her happy.”

“You’re insane.”

“She’s working hard now. She’s changing for the better. I’m comforted that she’s listening to me somehow.”

“She’s indebted to you for life.”

Soo Young smiled.

“It’s fine with me; just as long as she’s happy.”

-

Irene sat on the sofa quietly. Professor Choi has fallen asleep after some time but Irene couldn’t close her eyes. She had listened to her professor’s story about her mother. She was confused once more. She did felt sorry for Erika at one point and especially after looking through the photos her professor had shown her earlier on.

The past Erika was totally the opposite of the present one. At least, the present Erika was more pleasant looking. The past Erika looked like a drug addict. She was so thin. And after learning how Erika lost her father without her knowledge. It was only when her brother managed to track her down; broke the news to her but it was all too late.

Her younger sister blamed her father’s death on her. Her mother was heartbroken after her husband’s death and her brother got married; left Seoul and took their mother with him to stay at Jeju Island with his family.

She lost her family instantaneously and she was about to lose her wife and her daughter.

Or would she not be?

Irene was frustrated with the sudden change of events. She was adamant not to forgive Erika for what she did but after listening to her professor’s words, the truth was Erika suffered the worst.

“What am I supposed to do now?”

Irene’s head spun and fell asleep after the overbearing thoughts. She was too exhausted to think anymore.

-

Tiffany looked on as Jessica helped Taeyeon with her suitcases. She decided to bring Taeyeon home so that she could look after her. Taeyeon had promised her that she would go for the treatment.

“Hi Taeyeon!”

Tiffany greeted her happily but the latter was a little bashful. She just nodded and smiled slightly.

“Hi Fany.”

“Don’t look so nervous. I’m glad Jessica has decided to look after you.”

Jessica could only smile before taking Taeyeon’s suitcases up to her room. Jessica decided to sleep at Irene’s room while Taeyeon could stay in hers.

Yuri was with Yoona. They were carrying Taeyeon’s other stuffs up to the apartment.

“Okay, hold up! I’m losing my balance here!”

“Yuri unnie, move in faster! It’s not getting lighter!”

Tiffany rushed to the cousins’ aid. Yoona almost smacked Yuri’s forehead.

“YA!”

“I’m sorry! I had cramp out of sudden!”

“Okay, okay, don’t fight. Yoona, I’ll get you a glass of water.”

“Do you have beer?”

“Seriously?”

“Shut up, it’s heavy! And look at my arm!”

“What’s going on?”

Jessica finally appeared in the living room; Taeyeon was behind her. Jessica went straight up to Yoona and took her hand. She massaged gently.

“Yuri decided to give up carrying the heavy stuff and left me to hold on to it.”

“Wow, you’re so... WOW!”

“What!?”

“Okay, okay both of you stop it!”

Tiffany came in between Yoona and Yuri before pushing the two ladies into the kitchen. Taeyeon looked on as Jessica pacified Yoona with a kiss on her forehead and a hug. She felt irked by that but she put on a brave front. She smiled widely when Jessica spotted her and walked over to her.

“Why are you standing here alone?”

“Ah, nothing.”

“Come and join us.”

“It’s okay. I’m a little tired. I think I’ll go and rest for while.”

“Okay, sure.”

Jessica smiled and Taeyeon’s heart cracked a little. She truly believed she didn’t deserve this kind treatment from her Soo Yeon. This was the same reason why she ran away.

For all the pain she had put Soo Yeon through, this woman would forgive her. Taeyeon walked up the stairs and stopped for a second. She peered over her shoulder and witnessed the soft kiss shared between Yoona and her Soo Yeon.

Taeyeon regretted a little but after witnessing how broad Yoona’s smile went, she knew she did the right thing.

Flashback

“No, Soo Yeon. I cannot accept this.”

“What are you talking about?”

“You cannot just forgive me and take me back without anything.”

“What?”

“I cannot live like this. I don’t deserve your forgiveness so easily.”

Soo Yeon stared blankly at Taeyeon. She couldn’t apprehend her estranged wife’s thinking. She sighed.

“Yoona pushed me to you and now you’re pushing me away as well. What the hell do you want me to do now?”

Taeyeon bit her lower lip. She knew it was not right for her to willingly accept Soo Yeon’s good heart.

“What did you plan to do?”

“I want you to live with me so that I can take good care of you until you get your treatment done.”

“Why? I’m fine living here.”

“Yoona’s busy with her work lately. She’s taking over your position too. She’s hardly at home and she’s worried that you might be alone most of the time.”

“I’m not invalid.”

“Nobody said you’re invalid. Kim Taeyeon, I just want to make sure you get your treatment done. You owe me a lot more than you can imagine and perhaps it’s time for us to make it up to Irene together.”

“But I don’t want to be indebted to you.”

“So what do you want now?”

Taeyeon took a deep breath. She knew she had to do this.

“Don’t break up with Yoona.”

Soo Yeon was surprised at Taeyeon’s suggestion.

“She’s a kind woman. If I’m going to lose you, I rather lose you to someone like her.”

“Are you sure about this?”

“Soo Yeon, tell me frankly. Do you intend to leave Yoona in the first place?”

Soo Yeon looked away and shrugged her shoulders.

“I have no idea. I’m still confused.”

“Then don’t break up with her. I’m just glad that you’ve forgiven me but you don’t have to take a step further.”

“But I want to look after you. I want to make up to you and Irene. Maybe when you live with us, Irene will slowly accept you.”

“You’re going to force her?”

“No, absolutely not. But I just want her to learn to accept that you’re her mother no matter how she’s going to deny it.”

Taeyeon looked away but Soo Yeon grabbed her arm. She held on tightly.

“Even if we cannot be together somehow, we still share a responsibility together – our daughter, Irene. We have to make up to her for the rest of our lives. Are you with me?”

Taeyeon searched deep into Soo Yeon’s eyes. Her smile was sincere enough.

“I can stay with you but you must not break up with Yoona.”

“Just stay with me. And we will worry about that later.”

Taeyeon agreed.

-

Jessica was in the same room with Tiffany. Yuri went out with Yoona and Taeyeon was in her room. Tiffany was folding her clothes and Jessica made a mess out of it.

“YA!”

“Hee, I’m sorry!”

Jessica threw the last folder shirt at Tiffany.

“YA! JUNG SOO YEON!”

“I’ll help you to fold them back!”

The two best friends sat side by side and started folding the clothes in front of them. Tiffany looked on as Jessica meticulously folded the clothes. Their eyes met and Tiffany smiled.

“What?”

“You did well with Taeyeon.”

Jessica smiled.

“I’m doing this for Irene’s sake.”

“You seriously don’t have feelings for Taeyeon anymore?”

“It’s not that I don’t. But it’s lingering.  But my feelings for Yoona are much stronger.”

“Taeyeon didn’t mind?”

“She told me not to break up with Yoona.”

“What? Kim Taeyeon really said that?”

“I don’t know, Tiffany. All I want to do right now is to get her condition treated. She has really lost so much weight from the last time.”

“I understand. Say, did you hear from Irene lately?”

“Sunny said she’s staying at her place.”

“Did you try to call her?”

“I did. But she told me not to worry about her. She’s fine with Sunny and Wendy.”

“Doesn’t that girl miss us? Well, at least me.”

Jessica grinned widely.

“You miss my daughter?”

“Don’t you?”

“I’ve wanted to ask you this.”

“What is it?”

“Don’t you plan to have your own baby with Yuri?”

“Jung Soo Yeon, I’m in my 40s.”

“You can always adopt a baby, stupid.”

“I’m not sure if Yuri agrees.”

“I’m sure Yuri will agree.”

“Why are you worried about me? Shouldn’t you worry about Taeyeon and Irene?”

Tiffany bit her lower lip. That sounded offending but Jessica just laughed it off.

“I’m halfway there. I’ve convinced Taeyeon to stay with me. So now, I have to talk my baby.”

“Yeah, your baby girl needs you now.”

Jessica nodded.  However Tiffany was a little sceptical.

“But do you think this will work?”

“What thing?”

“You and Taeyeon living together but not together like that? You know what I mean?”

Jessica shrugged her shoulders.

“Let’s just get her to go for treatment. Then we will see from there.”

“Okay.”

Tiffany could only hope for the best and Jessica decided to take things slow.

-

Taeyeon was in her room. She was still unsure what to do. What the hell was she doing here? Why did Jessica insist to take her home with her?

“Hey, why are you staring into blank space again?”

Taeyeon peered over her shoulder to find Soo Yeon standing in the doorway. Tiffany was there too but she excused herself so now the couple was left alone.

“Nothing, I was just thinking.”

“Are you wondering why you are here?”

“Yes, I’m still confused.”

Soo Yeon sighed before closing the door behind her. She put her arms around Taeyeon and hugged her tightly.

“Maybe right now, the both of us are still feeling awkward with each other. And I’m not sure of my lingering feelings for you. But I don’t want to waste any more time. You need to get treatment. Tae, I’m sorry if I make you feel uncomfortable but I cannot risk letting you run away from us again.”

“You’ve forgiven me too easily.”

“We’re not getting any younger. And we have Irene to consider. Let’s take one day at a time. Tomorrow we will visit the hospital. I want to know what we can do for you.”

“Are you sure about this? Wouldn’t I be wasting your time?”

“We’ve wasted 20 years. Let’s try to do things right this time.”

Taeyeon relented.

-

“So, Taeyeon’s staying with Jessica and you alone in that apartment?”

“I have already paid the down payment for the rental. Anyway it’s nearby. So don’t worry, I’m a big girl. I can take care of myself.”

“You’re not worried that their love will rekindle?”

“Like I’ve said, if this set the sparks going, I’ll let Jessica go.”

“You’re one damn amazing and stupid person at the same time.”

Yoona laughed. Their drinks came and the waitress was actually flirting with Yoona. Yuri rolled her eyes when Yoona reacted to it.

“What?”

“A leopard won’t change its spots!”

“Oh come on, it’s just a harmless flirting. You know the drill too.”

“She’s too young for you.”

“I’m totally aware of that.”

“So, don’t react to it.”

“She’s basically flirting with everyone. Will you please lighten up?”

“She didn’t flirt with me!”

“You’re so grumpy today! What’s with that? Didn’t get anything last night?”

Yuri slapped Yoona’s thighs; the lady winced in pain.

“I’m sure you don’t.”

“She’s too busy worrying about Jessica and Irene.”

“Ah, are you jealous or something?”

“What?”

“Tiffany used to like Jessica.”

“I’m over that.”

“Then why are you whining?”

“We hardly have time for one another now.”

Yoona nodded. She patted on Yuri’s back.

“I’m sorry that this is taking a toll on both of you as well.”

“Nah, it’s fine. I just need to distract her.”

Yoona suddenly suggested.

“Take her for a short trip over the weekend.”

“I can do that?”

“Why not?”

“Then Taeyeon and Jessica?”

“What’s wrong with them?”

“You think they’ll be fine on their own?”

Yoona smiled.

“I think they will be fine. Maybe that will help them to mend their relationship again.”

-

Irene decided to head home. Professor Choi was elated to hear that.

“Are you going to at least listen to Erika?”

“I’ll try.”

“That’ll be great!”

“But will you come with me?”

“Huh?”

“I need someone, you know. Like a supporter; like someone’s got my back?”

“Absolutely, I’ll drive you home now.”

“Thanks, Professor. You must have loved my Omma a lot.”

“You call her Omma?”

Professor Choi was stunned with Irene’s acknowledgement.

“I cannot run away from it. She’s always and forever being my Omma. Her blood runs in me.”

Irene seemed to have resigned to her fate.

-