Chapter 4

녹 (Rust)

Irene was cuddling next to her; hugging her Mommy tightly throughout the night. Jessica stayed up for a little while more; watching her only daughter sleeping soundly next to her. Her bed was rather small for the two of them but it was comfortable enough for Jessica.

She stared hard at her daughter; she was snoring softly and her arms around her Mommy didn’t leave Jessica’s waist all night. Jessica smiled as she swept Irene’s fringe back gently. She couldn’t believe she was enjoying this closeness with her daughter and now she regretted not giving Irene this privilege to sleep next to her when she was a child. She kissed Irene’s forehead softly before tucking her daughter closer. Her eyelids went heavier and she fell asleep immediately.

Morning came and Jessica was the first one to wake up. This was the first time she had a good sleep and her daughter was just next to her; still cuddling her. Jessica giggled softly as Irene whined when Jessica gently pulled her nose.  She waited for Irene to open her eyes. And when she did, Jessica flashed her brightest smile.

“Good morning sweetheart.”

Irene blushed instantly. It was the first time her Mommy called endearing names for her. Irene nodded and hugged her Mommy for the first time in her 20 years of living.

“Good morning Mommy.”

“You had a good sleep?”

“Yeah, I did. You? Was it uncomfortable for you? I purposely laid on my side so that you could have more space.”

Jessica’s eyes glinted. Tiffany was right. Irene cares a great deal about her. And she was going to do the same for her only child.

“I’m fine. I had a great time hugging you to sleep.”

“I was too big for you, aren’t I?”

“Nah, you’re never big for me. You’re always a child in my eyes.”

Irene was taken aback by her mother’s confession. She then grinned and then kissed her mother’s cheek. She sat up and carefully manoeuvred her way out of the bed. Jessica looked on with a tender stare.

“Where are you going today?”

Jessica asked.

“Aunt Krystal said she’d bring me for shopping.”

“Don’t you have class today?”

“Nope, I don’t have classes on Saturdays.”

“Oh.”

“Mommy’s joining us?”

Jessica shook her head. She had something on in the office. But she promised something else instead.

“Why don’t you bring Aunt Krystal and Grandma to meet me for dinner later?”

“Okay!”

Jessica didn’t realize how easy it was to please her daughter. For some reason, Irene had that cute charm just like Taeyeon.

“I’ll call you later.”

“Okay Mommy. I’ll wash up now. It’s my turn to help Mommy Yul for breakfast today.”

Jessica nodded and Irene gave her a tight hug before running to the bathroom. Jessica chuckled softly when she heard Tiffany screaming at her.

“IRENE JUNG! DON’T YOU KNOCK?!”

“I’M SORRY, FANY MOMMY! I DIDN’T SEE YOU! BUT WHY ARE YOU IN THIS BATHROOM?”

“YOUR MOMMY YUL HOGS OUR BATHROOM ALL MORNING!”

“OH MY GOD! MOMMY YUL, ARE YOU DOING BIG TIME?!”

“IT HAS BEEN AN HOUR NOW!”

“I’M SO GOING TO STAY CLEAR OF MOMMY YUL TODAY!”

“YA! I DIDN’T FOR THE LAST TWO DAYS!”

“EEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!”

Jessica shook her head.

-

“Okay, be good.”

“What are you talking about?”

“You just need to be good and don’t be a bad influence on my daughter.”

“Oh please, Mom’s coming along. You should tell her to be good.”

“That’s right.”

Jessica turned to her mother.

“Mom, please don’t buy the shopping mall back.”

Mrs Jung knocked her daughters’ head with her knuckles simultaneously. They have the habit to because Mrs Jung is a shopaholic.

“I’m using your Dad’s credit card.”

“Dad will have fits if you spend so much here.”

“Take mine.”

“Unnie, are you serious?!”

Jessica just shrugged her shoulders before slipping her credit card onto her mother’s hand. Mrs Jung had that sinister smile on her face.  Jessica peered over her shoulders; her daughter was wearing her shoes. Jessica knew her daughter had not been spending much despite giving her the credit cards.

Jessica used to check her joint account with her daughter. Irene only spent $200 a month and she didn’t touch the supplementary cards that Jessica had given to her. Tiffany told her that her daughter is not really a spendthrift.  Irene definitely needs to learn to be a Jung.

“Mom, can you take Irene for shopping too?”

Irene looked up.

“She doesn’t really spend a lot.”

“Wow, she doesn’t shop?”

Mrs Jung was looking at her granddaughter who gave her a sheepish smile.

“I don’t really know which fashion suits me well.”

Krystal smiled widely.

“Don’t worry. Aunt Krystal will teach you.”

“Grandma will too!”

Jessica rolled her eyes. She knew she would be bankrupt as long as her mother and sister are here.

-

Yuri was doing house chores and Tiffany had left to meet her client. Jessica was using her laptop to type out some documents.  The vacuum sound was a little distracting for Jessica. She stared at the tanned woman.

“What are you doing?”

Yuri looked at Jessica with disdain.

“What do you think I’m looking? Do I look like I’m mowing the lawn?”

“You don’t do household chores.”

“I do!”

“You’re only in charge of cooking.”

“Fine, someone’s coming.”

Jessica narrowed her eyes at Yuri. The latter leaned backward; feeling uneasy.

“What?”

“Are you bringing some other girl back to our apartment?”

Yuri looked deadpan.

“Yes, I’m inviting a girl home while you’re still sitting here on the dining table; typing your documents.”

Yuri answered sarcastically but Jessica was unfazed.

“Does Tiffany know?!”

“Of course she does! She’s my cousin.”

“I hope that’s not an excuse.”

Yuri was exasperated.

“I’m faithful, k!?”

“A lot of women said that but they went astray too.”

“Not all women are like that.”

“Yeah, unfortunately I knew such woman.”

Yuri knew who Jessica was referring to. She sighed and then turned off the vacuum cleaner. She sat next to Jessica.

“It has been 20 years. You’re still bearing a grudge against this woman?”

“I don’t know what to feel anymore, Yuri.”

“For all you know, that person might not be alive anymore.”

Jessica’s fingers ceased typing and she stared at the document for the longest time. Yuri knew she had said something hurtful. She tried to redeem herself.

“I didn’t mean it that way, Jessica. But if I were you, I’d want to look for that woman and tell her off. You’re raising her child but she was nowhere in sight. She didn’t even care about you. Tiffany has her name written in her death list.”

Jessica didn’t say anything.

“But from how I look at this, the reason why you’re still bearing this grudge towards this woman is because you still love her.”

Jessica snapped her neck to Yuri. It was so unbelievable.

“You’re so wrong.”

“Then prove me right. If you don’t love this woman anymore, you would have let it go a long time ago. Why would you keep it in your heart for this long? It’s really difficult to keep hating someone for 20 years. But if you still love this woman and wants to have answers to all that had happened, you should track her down and make her eat her words.”

“You mean, be revengeful?”

“You’re not planning to murder her right?”

“You just said make her eat her words.”

“Not literally. I mean, honestly Jessica, tell me the truth. Do you still have feelings for this woman?”

Jessica stared blankly at Yuri’s face. Her mind started to wonder. Yuri’s words made sense somehow. Why was it so difficult for her to forgive Taeyeon and let it go?

“I have no idea, Yuri.”

“Then find the reason so that you can forgive yourself and Irene.”

Yuri smiled as she wrapped one arm around Jessica’s shoulder. She then gripped it tightly before letting go. She then picked up her vacuum cleaner and went back to her chores.  Jessica stared at her back; her mind was confused.

Could she ever forgive Taeyeon somehow?

-

Irene’s professor called her earlier on. She had to return to her school for a short while. Luckily it was nearby. Krystal drove her back to her school.

“Will you be fine in school?”

“Don’t worry, I’ll be fine. I’ll see you for dinner later.”

“Okay, give me a call and Aunt Krystal will pick you up.”

“Yes, Yimu. I’ll see you later.”

Irene ran all the way to her professor’s office. She was in the middle of shopping feat with her grandmother and her aunt. They could really shop; the car’s bonnet was filled with shopping bags. They spent mostly on her though. Jessica had requested them to.

Irene felt fuzzy when she thought of her Mommy. Things were getting better between them. And yesterday was the best night sleep Irene ever had. Jessica’s embrace was warm. Irene could almost imagine how she felt when she was in Jessica’s womb.

Never mind the woman who hurt her mother. That was in the past now. Irene knew she had to be more responsible and she has to take good care of her Mommy. She was glad that she was given this chance to express her feelings towards her Mommy. It was definitely a big step for Irene but she was going to cherish this opportunity.

She was smiling to herself like an idiot when she remembered her mother fed her a spoonful of cereals this morning. She didn’t realize she was at the front door of her professor’s office. She snapped out of her thoughts and walked in. Her professor was waiting for her.

“Ah, Irene, come in.”

Irene nodded and bowed slightly. She didn’t realize there was a guest in the room too. The professor urged her to come forward. Irene stepped up and then was surprised to find a familiar face in the room. She knew that person.

“Oh, it’s you.”

The person smiled as she stood up.

“Do you know her, Erika?”

“Not really but we bumped into each other yesterday at the airport.”

Irene finally remembered.

“Fancy meeting you here, my dear.”

“Yes, it’s a surprise.”

“My name is Erika Kim.”

“I’m Irene. Irene Jung.”

Irene shook Erika’s hand firmly.

-

Erika was invited by her old friend, Choi Soo Young to her faculty at her university.  Soo Young was her ex-colleague. They used to work together at the office in Singapore. The lady had quit and then returned to Korea when she was offered a job at the university.

So since then, Erika had kept in touch with her via email so obviously now that she had returned, Soo Young was ecstatic. Yoona had initially invited her to her cousin’s place but Erika declined. She wasn’t really comfortable with strangers and Yoona rolled her eyes at her.

She still remembered the lady’s scornful words.

“You need to live it up and get to know new people. Are you going to be alone for the rest of your life?”

“Why don’t you find yourself a partner first then you can persuade me to meet new people.”

“Urgh, Erika Kim! You’re one of a kind! And people wonder why I didn’t fall for you despite staying with you for the longest time!”

“Im Yoona, I could never be yours. You’re just a child.”

“Shut up! I’ll see you later! Buy dinner for me!”

“You’re so childish. Fine, I’ll buy dinner for you! And be back soon!”

She chuckled softly at the memory. Yoona might be childish at times but she was always there when she needed somebody. Other than Soo Young, Yoona was the next best person whom she could rely on. Well, sometimes.

“MIDGET KIM!”

Erika rolled her eyes. She was surrounded by “children”.  Yoona wasn’t the only one. Choi Soo Young could act like a child if she wanted to.

“Are you sure you’re a professor?”

“Oh, don’t be mean. I haven’t seen you for 12 years!”

“You left me.”

“Don’t make it sound like I’m your lover.”

“Well, almost.”

“Oh shut up. Come here, you!”

Soo Young welcomed Erika with arms wide open. Soo Young was with her when Erika was at her worst plight. It was Soo Young who gave her hope in life. Erika left for Singapore 20 years ago. Without anything, Erika wandered around the foreign country; trying to find a decent job. But Erika’s English was atrocious so she couldn’t find any job. She was mortified that people in Singapore speaks English more than their own mother tongue.

But Soo Young befriended her when she found Erika by the road side. Soo Young was a student from Korea who was studying in Singapore. She took Erika in and they became fast friends. Erika was scrawny.  But Erika decided to start over so she studied English and got herself a job.

And Erika was lucky. Her employer was a good man with a good heart. He taught Erika a lot of things and eventually made her the CEO of the company now.

“You look good, Soo Young or should I say, Professor Choi.”

Soo Young grinned before pushing her door open. Her office was spacious and Erika settled down at the sofa immediately. She looked around and all she could see were books.

“How’s life?”

“I’m fine as you can see.”

“Are you still staying with Yoona?”

“Yes, I am.”

“Are you sure you’re not attracted to her? She’s really hot.”

“Soo Young, you’re married. Please stay at your side.”

“Oh come on, I might be married to Kyungho oppa but Yoona’s really gorgeous.”

“I cannot believe I’m having this conversation with you.”

“Well, I’m just teasing you. I know you’re still waiting for your wife, aren’t you?”

Erika’s smile stopped short. Soo Yeon came into her mind immediately. Soo Young knew one or two about her past.

“I don’t know.”

“You’re back in Seoul. Don’t you want to look for her?”

“Do you think I deserve the chance to look for her?”

“You cannot get over her because the two of you have some kind of unfinished business.”

“What if she’s seeing someone else?”

“Then you have to respect that. You hurt her in the first place. And besides, aren’t you curious about your daughter?”

Erika stared at the books near the shelves. Her fingers lingered at them before she sighed softly.

“She should be 20 this year.”

“Ah, she might be in college now.”

Erika smiled sadly.

“She might hate me.”

“Why? Because her mother hates you?”

“Why wouldn’t she? I left her and her mother for 20 years.”

“Then find them and atone your mistakes. You cannot keep on like this and letting this mistake to linger on for another 20 years.  You’re not getting older, Erika. Just do something about it whether it would end well or bad; at least there’s an ending and you could move on from there.”

Erika pondered on Soo Young’s words. She knew she had a responsibility to be taken care of.

“I’ll see what I can do.”

“Don’t worry; I have your back.”

“Great, thanks Soo.”

“Okay, now let’s get down to business.”

“Tch, so much for the anti-.”

“Hah~ we have something business to talk about.”

“Sure, so what are you suggesting?”

Soo Young took out her file and gave it to Erika. It was a proposal for letting some of the uni students to work as an intern at Erika’s company. It was proposed as a joint-venture; creating work opportunities for the university students.

“How many students are you expecting me to take in?”

“I have one student in mind. She’s really good. She wants to be like her mother – a successful businesswoman.”

“Oh? So why can’t she work with her mother?”

Soo Young frowned and then sighed.

“Her mother doesn’t really fancy her that much. Something happened in the past and this poor girl has to pay for her other mother’s dues.”

Erika looked up; taken aback with the sudden revelation.

“You mean..?”

“Yeah, she was born to two women.”

Erika started to wonder.

“The story seems familiar, huh?”

Erika nodded.

“I feel sorry for the girl but she’s lovely, hardworking and down to earth. She said she doesn’t mind that her mother treats her like that. She’s still convinced that her mother loves her.”

“Sounds like a sweet girl.”

“So how? Will you accept her as your intern?”

“But she’s in her first year, right?”

“She can work with you during her holidays or something.”

“She’s your favourite student, isn’t she?”

“Yes, you can say that.”

“You’re such a biased professor.”

“Shut up and are you going to help me or not? Besides she’s not the only one. I have some other students to offer too.”

“Fine, I’ll take up to 3 students.”

“Ah, you’re so sweeeeet!”

“Get off me, Choi Soo Young!”

-

Jessica was preparing for work. She has typed and printed all the documents she needed. She would be meeting her client for appointment later on. She was too lazy to drive to office so she worked from home. She stuffed her document files into her bag and got changed immediately.

Yuri was cooking in the kitchen. She popped her head through the kitchen doorway.

“You’re leaving?”

“Yup, are you cooking dinner?”

“No, I’m just making some snacks for my cousin. I’m having dinner with her and my cousin later.”

“Okay, Irene’s meeting me and my family for dinner.”

“I know, she wouldn’t stop yakking about it this morning. She’s clearly excited about it.”

Jessica smiled.

“So, is it time for me to hand over the baton to you?”

“Huh? What do you mean?”

“You’ll be spending more time with Irene, right?”

“I guess so.”

“I’ll teach you slowly.”

“About what?”

“Her favourite food; her favourite colour; her favourite drink and what she likes to eat her pancakes with; her fruits and many things.”

Jessica nodded. Yuri was a little bashful but she meant good. Jessica knew nothing about Irene and all her favourite things in the world.

“That’s right. I don’t know her favourites.”

“Well, you know one already.”

Jessica frowned.

“Her most favourite thing in the world is you.”

Jessica’s heart fluttered. Yuri smiled before scooping up a spoonful of soup.

“Here, try this before leaving.”

“What is it?”

“Green bean soup.”

“Oh okay.”

“And this is Irene’s favourite dessert.”

Jessica nodded before she took one spoonful and thanked Yuri. She wore her heels and left the apartment.  She was going to take one step at a time to learn more about Irene.

It was about time anyway.

Jessica didn’t pay attention to her surroundings. Her mind was filled with her daughter when someone accidentally bumped into her. That someone fell.

“I got to stop bumping into people, I swear.”

The person mumbled as she tried to sit up. Jessica was still taken aback from the bump but immediately offered her hand out to the fallen one. 

“Hey, are you alright?”

The fallen one was entranced for some reason. She was just staring at Jessica with wide open. Jessica frowned.

“Is there anything wrong? Are you alright? Can you stand up?”

“Oh, I’m sorry. Yes, I’m fine.”

The tall lady stood up and she was towering over Jessica much to her annoyance. But Jessica smiled and concerned about her.

“Are you sure you’re alright?”

“I’m okay, I think.”

She glanced down and Jessica’s eyes were following her. Both were taken aback to see a deep wound on the lady’s knee cap.

“Oh dear!”

“Oh crap.”

“You need medical attention.”

“Why do I bruise like a peach?”

“I beg your pardon?”

“This is so embarrassing.”

Jessica was amused. The lady was blaming herself.

“It’s okay. I’m not laughing at you anyway.”

“I kept bumping to people and I’m the one getting hurt. It’s not your fault, really. I’m just weak like that.”

“I guess so. Come on, I’ll take you home. Where do you stay?”

“I’m here to visit someone.”

“I’ll take you there.”

“It’s okay, it’s just here.”

The lady pointed to Jessica’s apartment. Jessica was staring at the door before turning back to the lady.

“You’re Yuri’s cousin?”

The lady was shocked and stood back.  Once again, Jessica was amused.

“How do you know? Are you Yuri’s neighbour?”

“No, I live together with her.”

“You do?”

“Yes?”

“Tiffany unnie?”

“Huh?”

“Are you Tiffany unnie? You look so much different from the last time I saw you.”

Jessica giggled.

“No, I’m sure I’m not Tiffany either.”

The lady’s eyes suddenly grew wide and then she exclaimed loudly.

“KWON YURI, ARE YOU HAVING AN AFFAIR BEHIND TIFFANY UNNIE?!”

Jessica laughed heartily.

-

“You’re so embarrassing.”

“You didn’t mention about her!”

“Do you have to shout at the top of your lungs?!”

“I WAS SHOCKED!”

Jessica laughed as Yuri tried to settle her cousin down.  Yoona’s her name.

“I’m sorry, Jessica. This woman can be such a dork sometimes.”

Yuri smacked her forehead and Yoona pouted her lips.

“HEY!”

“It’s okay, Yuri. She’s amusing.”

“Oh great, now I’m a laughing stock.”

“If you stop behaving like a 14 year old, people will not think of you like that.”

“Shut up! I’m not childish!”

Jessica’s heart was tickled. Yoona was funny and cute in a way.  Yoona, on the other hand, was staring at her.  Their eyes met and Jessica could feel something. She shrugged it away.

“I’m going now. I’ll see you later, Yuri. Nice meeting you, Yoona and be careful of your injury.”

Jessica smiled and left the apartment immediately. Yoona waited and when the door was closed; she pounced on Yuri like a tiger.

“YA!”

“Who is she?”

“She’s Jessica.”

“Yes, I know her name but who is she to you!?”

Yuri rolled her eyes.

“Why do you want to know?”

“Are you bedding two women now?”

“Are you insane? Tiffany will skin me alive.”

“Then why is she staying here with you and Fany unnie?”

“She’s Tiffany’s best friend.”

“Oh, she’s your housemate?”

“Kind of. Why are you asking so many questions?”

“Is she single?”

Yuri finally knew where this conversation was heading.  She smacked her forehead. Yoona screamed before rubbing her forehead.

“Yes, she’s single with a 20 year old daughter.”

Yoona’s eyes grew larger.

“WHAT?!”

“She’s single and available but she has a 20 year old daughter.”

“YOU’RE LYING!”

“WHY WOULD I LIE TO YOU FOR?”

“How old is she?!”

“She’s not much older than us.”

“YOU’RE LYING!”

“What’s wrong with you?”

“She’s a goddess!”

Yuri rolled her eyes at Yoona.

-

“Irene, this is Erika Kim. She’s a friend from Singapore.”

Irene was introduced to Erika formally. Erika’s smile was gentle and almost familiar. Her hands were warm and her handshake was sincere.

“Erika, this is Irene, one of my best students in this university.”

“Ah, Professor Choi, you’re thinking highly of me.”

“You are, Irene. I wish half of my students are like you.”

Irene’s face blushed immediately.  Erika caught it and she was amused. The girl’s really cute.

“Irene, did I disturb your Saturday afternoon?”

“Well, I was with my Aunt and Grandmother for shopping.  So it’s alright but I have to leave by 5pm. I’m meeting my mother for dinner.”

“Your mother?”

Professor Choi was surprised.  Irene nodded eagerly.

“She has been nice to me lately. We’re making up for our lost time.”

“Ah, that’s great! You must be really happy!”

“Yes, I am! I want to be the best daughter for her. I want to make up for her broken past.”

Erika was listening to their conversation as she sat there; sipping her tea.  Irene was animatedly telling stories about her mother and from there; Erika could feel Irene’s love for her mother.

She suddenly thought of her daughter. She should be around Irene’s age and she wondered if her daughter would love her the way Irene loves her mother.

The trio talked for quite some time although Erika didn’t say much. Irene’s smart and observant. She seemed to know more about business and Erika was curious.

“Wow, you know so much.”

“I used to sit at the dining table while doing home work; I would look at my Mommy doing her work. She’s really meticulous and she’s really cool when she’s serious.”

“You admire your mother, aren’t you?”

Irene nodded.

“People don’t know my mother that well. I could say I’m like them but I do know my mother is a soft, gentle and caring woman. She has a soft spot for me.”

“What do you mean?”

“Mommy comes into my room in early morning while everyone is asleep. She will whisper sorry in my ears and kiss my forehead before leaving the room. I happened to wake up earlier than usual and spotted my mommy in my room. I didn’t want to startle her so I closed my eyes when I felt her lips on my forehead.”

Erika listened carefully. Irene seemed contented with that gesture alone.  But what Irene said next caused Erika’s heart ached so badly.

“Mommy went through a lot. Her wife left her for some other woman and I was born on the same day her wife left her. So I won’t blame her if she hates me. Maybe I was the reason why the other woman left my mother.”

-