Chapter 17

녹 (Rust)

Wendy was doing her homework when Irene returned. Irene asked her for help when she ran away from home. Wendy convinced her Momo to let Irene stay here for a couple of days. But it has been two weeks and Wendy wondered if Irene has calmed down.

“Hey, you’re back.”

Irene acknowledged her and returned a smile.

“Unnie, have you eaten?”

“Yes, I ate with my professor.”

“Oh, I saved some soup for you just now.”

“Ah, why don’t we eat together then?”

“Really?! Awesome! I’ll heat it up! You go and wash up. I’ll see you in the kitchen.”

“Okay, I’ll see you.”

Wendy left her room and went into the kitchen. Well, she was supposed to have a talk with Irene. Her Momo asked her to.

“Wendy, can you have a word with Irene unnie later?”

“Huh? Why?”

“You know what happened, right?”

“Briefly. Irene unnie was so upset when she came to look for me.”

Her Momo told her the true story and Wendy suddenly felt sorry for Irene.

“Wow, I didn’t know Irene unnie has a painful past.”

“You’re lucky that we adopted you.”

Wendy grinned widely.

“You’re so happy go lucky and jovial. Maybe you can talk to her nicely.”

“What should I tell her?”

“Just have a casual talk; getting her to open up to you.”

“Are you kicking her out of the house?”

“No! I’m not!”

“Oh, okay. So I just need to talk to her?”

“Yes, you’re like a sister to her now.”

“Okay, I’ll try my best.”

Wendy pouted her lips. Although she promised to try her best but the girl was clueless of what she should start with. Nevertheless, she heated the soup up and some food that her Momo had kept for Irene.

She sat on the dining table and wondered. Irene’s presence made her even more perplexed. Irene could sense she was nervous.

“Wow, that’s a lot of food.”

Irene was surprised at the table spread.

“I thought it was just soup?”

“Momo left these foods for you. It’s okay, I’m hungry anyway.”

Irene frowned. Wendy would eat a lot if she’s stressed out or nervous.

“What’s wrong?”

“Huh?”

“You’re eating a lot.”

Wendy glanced to her plate. Her eyes widened.

“Are you nervous? Or stressed out or something?”

“Wow, you’re good.”

“I’m a careful observer. I inherited it from ....”

Irene paused and things got awkward. Wendy knew what she wanted to say so she just nodded.

“It’s okay. I know.”

“Yeah.”

The two then ate in silence. Irene was lost in her own thoughts while Wendy was procrastinating whether she should talk about one thing Irene hates the most.

“Wendy, do you have something to tell me?”

“Momo asked me to talk to you.”

“Oh. Is my staying here intruding the family space?”

“No, no it’s not that! Momo just wanted to tell you that your Omma is really sick now.”

“Okay.”

“Unnie, please don’t be mad. I really like you staying here with me. You’ve been helping me with my school work and Momo is really appreciative of that.”

“I understand. I’m not mad. Everyone has been talking to me.”

“Unnie, I’m not going to tell you the same thing as them.”

Irene looked up; surprised.

“Sometimes adults don’t understand how we feel. It’s not that we’re not listening to them but we sometimes want to have our own space to think things through.”

Irene nodded and smiled widely.

“You’re right. Sometimes it’s so frustrating to hear them talking about the right stuff.”

“Unnie, I know a little about what happened. Momo told me. I can understand why you’re so angry; so hesitant and felt so betrayed. If I were you, I would do the same too.”

“What would you do if you’re in my position?”

Wendy gave a thought for a while.

“I would confront your Omma.”

“You would?”

“Yes, I would confront her and tell her everything and how I feel all these years.”

“And then?”

“And then listen to what she has to say. I mean, I would like to know why she ran away and left me behind. There must be a valid reason for everything.”

“She’s sick.”

“Honestly, if she returns to you because she’s sick, I won’t accept it. It’s like you finally remember your family when you needed someone.”

Irene stared at Wendy and pondered over her words.

“But if she returns because she wants to make amends, then you should consider. I’m not asking you to accept it totally but you’re allowed to give conditions.”

“I do?”

“Unnie, you’re left behind for the last 20 years. You’re required to lay down some conditions.”

“But I don’t want Mommy to return to her. I prefer Yoona omma.”

“Your Mommy has to make her own decision. I mean, after all, your Mommy has to be fair to both of them. I’m sure your Mommy knows what to do.”

Irene kept quiet. Her mind was thinking.

-

Soo Young went to visit Taeyeon. Yoona was at work since Taeyeon took a long absence. Taeyeon was glad to meet her good friend; the one friend who saved her life.

“Soo Young!”

“Hey, Taeyeon. How are you?”

“I’m good I guess. I’m so glad you’re here.”

Soo Young took a quick glance of Taeyeon from head to toe. She has lost a lot of weight and she has found out about Taeyeon’s illness from Yoona. She was worried for her.

“Have you been taking medicine regularly?”

“Yoona’s my personal nurse.”

“She’s worried about you.”

“I know.”

“Tae, someone else is worried for you too.”

Taeyeon looked up.  Soo Young was staring at her.

“I’m worried for you too, Tae. I’m really worried for you. And it didn’t help that I was somehow the cause for Irene to have a bad impression of you now.”

“Soo Young, what are you talking about? Whatever happened has nothing to do with you.”

“I saw Irene yesterday. She came to talk to me. She waited for me under the freezing snow and then came undone with me. She cried as she told me everything from how she felt about this.”

“She went to look for you?”

“Tae, Irene cares about you but she’s too confused with what happened. She was completely lost and battered because of the hurting truth.”

“I know. I saw her crushed face the last time she was here with her mother.”

“Soo Yeon is still not talking with you?”

Taeyeon shook her head.

“It must be difficult for Soo Yeon too.”

“Yes it is, and I truly understand that. I’m not going to force them to accept me back.”

“Taeyeon, have you tried talking to them?”

“I wanted to but how am I supposed to do it?”

“Call them.”

“What?”

“Call them and ask them out. You should do it on your own with a sincere heart and determination to win them over.”

“What if they refuse?”

“But what if they agree to meet you? Maybe they’re waiting for you to come up to them and explain everything.”

Taeyeon hesitated. She was afraid she would be rejected. But Soo Young was not going to give up.

“Look, if you’re serious to make amends with them, you do it. You set it up the appointment and let it flow. You should have determination to prove to them. And even if you refuse, you won’t regret it in the future because you’ve already tried your best.”

“Soo Young, you think this will work?”

“Trust me. It might.”

“Why are you telling me this?”

Soo Young paused and then sighed.

“Because I really care for you; so much.”

Taeyeon was surprised.

-

Yuri was with Yoona. The pair decided to hang out at the bar after work. Yoona seemed peaceful and Yuri was curious.

“Are you finally gone out of your mind?”

“Why?”

“Why are you smiling away?”

“I did the right thing.”

“Oh?”

“Jessica agreed to talk with Taeyeon.”

Yuri’s face changed. She was surprised.

“Really?!”

“Yeah, I’ve convinced her. I mean, she needs to lash things out with Taeyeon.”

“Are you really sure this is the right thing?”

Suddenly Yuri felt fearful for her cousin. But Yoona shrugged it off.

“Don’t worry; I’ve made up my mind before I approached Jessica. I mean, she will choose eventually but whoever or whatever her decision is, at least I won’t regret.”

“Aigoo, our Yoona has grown up!”

Yoona grinned but the sudden thought of Irene brought her back to her senses.

“Has Irene returned home?”

Yuri shook her head.

“Is she still mad at Jessica?”

“She’s not mad at anyone. She doesn’t want to be reminded of that painful memory.”

Yoona sighed.

“Irene’s the victim here. She’s the unknown victim. It’s difficult for her.”

“I agree. That’s why Tiffany decided to take it slow with Irene.”

“I’ll talk to her but I need to make it comfortable for her.”

Yuri nodded.

“So when will Jessica talk to Taeyeon?”

“She said she needed time to pen her thoughts.”

“Okay, but you have to promise me one thing, Yoona.”

“Yeah?”

“You will not give up on love if things are not in your favour.”

“I won’t.”

Yoona smiled confidently.

“I learnt a lot from this alone.”

Yuri ruffled her hair and Yoona yelled at her for the mess she made.

Everything would be fine.

-

Jessica waited in her car. She was just outside Irene’s school. She misses her daughter so much. She needed to see her. Just then, Irene was walking listlessly. Jessica’s heart ached to find her daughter’s radiance had been replaced with dark expression. She could see Irene’s hurting just by her facial expression. She got out of the car and called out to her daughter.

“Irene.”

Her soft voice prompted her daughter to look up. Irene was stunned. She stood rooted to the ground. It has been two weeks since she last saw her mother. Jessica approached her cautiously. She didn’t want Irene to run away.

And the moment she stood in front of her daughter; Irene let out her tears. Jessica’s heart ached even more.

“Oh baby..”

She held out her arms and Irene threw herself at Jessica’s embrace. Jessica couldn’t help but to shed tears too. It was hurting both of them.

“I’m sorry, baby. I’m so sorry.”

“Mommy...”

Irene wept bitterly. The pain she has been keeping inside unleashed and left Irene even broken than before. Jessica felt bad; no she felt worst. Her daughter was hurting so much; she could never apprehend the pain but now that she felt it, she wished she could turn back the hands of time.

Jessica finally realized it was not only Taeyeon’s mistake but hers too.

“I’m sorry, Sarang. I’m really sorry, baby. Forgive your Mommy and your Omma.”

Irene wept further.

-

Taeyeon fiddled with her phone. She was hesitating; contemplating and procrastinating whether she should call Soo Yeon. A talk with Soo Young helped her to open her mind and choices.

She knew she had to do it.

She took a deep breath.

Her fingers shakily dialled for Soo Yeon’s number. Yoona gave it to her.

Soo Young’s words lingered on her mind.

It was no or never.

“This is it.”

She waited with a berated breath.

-

Jessica and Irene were in the car when the phone rang. Irene glanced down and saw Taeyeon’s name blinking on the id caller.

“Mommy, she’s calling.”

Jessica looked at her phone and bit her lip.

“Should we answer?”

Irene asked again. Jessica stared at the road for a bit before nodding her head. Irene picked up the phone and gave it to her Mommy. Jessica looked at her.

“I’m not ready.”

“Okay.”

Jessica answered and put it on speaker. She didn’t greet Taeyeon immediately. She waited.

“Soo Yeon?”

Jessica closed her eyes while Irene looked away.

“Yes?”

“Can – can we meet?”

“Okay. I’ll go over to your place now.”

“O – okay..”

It was awkward and almost nerve-wrecking. But Jessica knew she had to settle this once and for all.

-

 


Double updates.

Hope you enjoy it.

Happy Chinese New Year to all my readers who celebrate it. 

and Happy Holidays to the rest!