Chapter 14

녹 (Rust)

i decided to re-write the story.

so... yeah.

---

Yoona returned home after spending a night at Jessica’s place. The girlfriend refused to let go until her fever subsided. Fortunately, it did. Yoona went home after having dinner with Jessica. She was hoping not to see Erika but she couldn’t escape her roommate no matter how much she wanted to.

Erika was in the kitchen with her back facing Yoona. She didn’t have a clue that Yoona was right behind her all the while. The younger girl was staring at her back; her mind was filled with questions, uncertainties and hesitations.

Should she give up or should she stay on to fight for Jessica’s love? Yoona had somehow made up her mind what she should do even though it would hurt her to hell. Just then, Erika turned and was taken aback to see Yoona at the doorway.

Erika saw Yoona’s sullen eyes. They were red and swollen and she felt extremely guilty.

“Yoona..”

Yoona raised her hand to stop Erika from talking. She didn’t want to hear her voice.

“Don’t say anything and just listen to what I have to say.”

Erika was hurt by Yoona’s harsh tone but she knew she didn’t have much to complain about it.

“I was at Jessica’s place last night. I was sick and she forced me to stay overnight. She told me she’s giving you up. 20 years of waiting had come to nothing and she hoped to find better years with me by her side. Honestly, I felt good hearing that from her. It boosted my confidence and I was initially determined to hold on.”

Yoona looked away to avoid Erika’s eyes. But the older lady noticed some tears falling from the corner of Yoona’s eyes. She wanted to wipe them away but she stopped herself.  Yoona would not appreciate her sympathy.

“But when I looked at Irene, I couldn’t bring myself to lie to her. For all things that have happened, Irene is the victim here. She was hindered from receiving a proper love and upbringing with a complete family. You were hidden in Singapore and you abandoned her here. I’m just appalled and puzzled. How could you do that?”

Erika was ashamed of that. She herself wondered why it took her so long to return.

“Jessica was waiting for you, Erika. She was. She waited for 20 bloody long years for you to return and take her back. She wanted so much to hear “I’m sorry” from you but yet you did nothing. How did you live your life for 20 years without feeling remorse or guilty?”

Yoona was still glaring angrily at her. She understood that anger. Erika knew she was to be blamed for all the that happened last 20 years ago.

“What do you want me to do now, Erika? No matter how I look at it, I can never be Irene’s Omma. She’s yours.  Your blood runs in that poor girl’s body. Your DNA is also part of hers. She came from you; that tiny part of you and Jessica suffered while carried your baby for months. How could you not feel anything at all, Erika?”

“Yoona, I feel like dying. For the last 20 years, I wished I wasn’t alive.”

“So now you decided to appear when she has decided to move on?”

“I don’t know.”

Yoona rolled her eyes and took a deep breath. She wanted to be selfish but she was thinking of Irene. That girl deserves better and she has the right to know the truth.

“I’m giving you a chance to meet Jessica and tell her everything.”

“Yoona?”

“I don’t have the right to break this family apart even though it was already broken by you. But if this broken family could be put back together, and you have the key to their ultimate happiness, I don’t want to be in the way of that. I love Jessica too much to let her regret anything if she finds about you.”

Erika’s heart was aching so badly. Yoona decided to sacrifice herself for her and Jessica. But Erika has no confidence about getting back with Jessica.

“Whether you have the chance with her again, it’s up to Jessica to decide. You’re sick. You need your family. If she chooses you, I’ll be happy for her. And I will survive somehow.”

Yoona stood up and ran back to her room. It was heart-wrenching for her to make this decision. But she thinks of Irene’s future.

She doesn’t want to lie to the girl anymore. She slammed the door behind her and slumped to the floor. She cried her heart out. She cares about Jessica and Irene so much.

Their happiness is what she wanted for them so badly.

-

Jessica was clearing out her room when she accidentally stepped over something. She glanced down to the floor and realized Yoona has left her wallet behind.  She reached out for her phone and called her girlfriend but Yoona didn’t pick up.

“Hm? Is she still sick?”

Jessica wondered and waited for awhile more. The phone was left ringing until she reached the voicemail instead. Jessica got worried and decided to head over to her girlfriend’s place. She knew where Yoona was staying. Tiffany had mentioned before.

She grabbed her car keys and her jacket. She was wearing it over her shoulders when Irene appeared at her door. Her daughter looked up; puzzled to see her mother was rushing around the room.

“Mommy?”

“Hmm?”

“Where are you going? Why are you rushing?”

“I’m just worried for Yoona omma. She didn’t answer my call and her wallet is with me. I’m going over to her place now.”

“Can I go along? I don’t want to be alonee~”

“Oh? Where’s your Mommy Fany?”

“She went out with Mommy Yuri.”

“Okay then, you can come with me.”

“Yay!”

Jessica and Irene decided to go over to Yoona’s place.

-

Yuri and Tiffany were sitting facing each other. They were having dinner and Yuri wasn’t in the mood to eat. Tiffany looked up when she realized her girlfriend seemed to be in a daze.

“What’s wrong, baby? Why aren’t you eating?”

“Baby, what will you do if you find out the truth behind Taeyeon’s disappearance 20 years ago?”

“What are you talking about? Why are you suddenly so interested in that ?”

“You know Choi Soo Young?”

“Isn’t she one of the pretty professors in your campus?”

“Yes, she’s my colleague. Guess what? She’s Taeyeon’s friend.”

Tiffany looked up; surprised.

“What?”

“Soo Young lived in Singapore to study for a couple of years. She became Taeyeon’s friend when she ran there.”

“And then what happened?”

Yuri told Tiffany everything what Soo Young had said to her. Tiffany was baffled and stared at Yuri in disbelief. She couldn’t eat anymore. Yuri was reaching out for her hands.

“Fany ah, we have to find Taeyeon and ask her to tell us everything. We need to tell Jessica too.”

“Why must we be the one who ask Taeyeon? Why can’t Taeyeon find Jessica and tell her?”

“The last time we were at her house; we left a subtle warning that we didn’t want her to find Jessica. We were so irrational about everything – you’re worried for Jessica and I’m worried for Yoona.”

“What are you trying to tell me?”

“I just want everything to be said and done. The truth is important now because the victim involved is no longer the couple but also their daughter, Irene. The poor girl is clueless about everything and it isn’t fair to Jessica or Taeyeon either.”

“Then what about Yoona?”

Yuri bit her lower lip. She was worried about her cousin.

“I’m extremely worried for her. She has never been in a relationship before and this is the first time she has fallen in love with someone. I know she cares a lot about Jessica but I’m sure if Yoona knows, she would want Taeyeon to find Jessica and tell her the truth.”

Tiffany was perplexed. This was just so messed up.

“We should find Taeyeon.”

“And then what’s next after that?”

“We’ll bring Taeyeon to Jessica.”

Tiffany hated that but she knew she didn’t have a choice. It was now or never.

-

Sunny was worried for Taeyeon. She received a message from the latter. She needed her to be there. She showed her message to Hyoyeon.

“Why are you showing me this?”

“I feel like going over to see her.”

“And why are you telling me?”

“Go with me?”

“You’re asking me to go with you?”

“Yes, I think it’d be better. You can talk some sense into her too.”

Hyoyeon looked at her wife and then nodded.

“Okay, but I’m not going to talk much.”

“Just be there for me?”

“Okay, and are you going to leave Wendy alone at home too?”

“I didn’t cook today. We will have dinner first then we proceed to Taeyeon’s place.”

“Okay, let’s go now.”

-

Erika was standing outside Yoona’s door. She has been knocking on it for the last 10 minutes. But Yoona didn’t open the door. Erika had the urge to barge in but she was worried that Yoona might prefer to be alone for now.

The older woman was confused. Why did Yoona just give up so easily for her? Yoona knew about her condition but Erika wondered how much exactly she knew.

Erika felt guilty. This was the first time Yoona had ever fallen in love. She knew because Yoona spent a great deal of time bonding with Irene for Jessica’s sake. She cared so much for Erika’s wife and daughter while Erika was still a coward for hiding for the last 20 years.

Just then, her doorbell rang. Erika frowned but nevertheless made it to the door. She was surprised to find Yuri and Tiffany standing in front of her. They were staring at her. Erika swallowed hard. They didn’t seem friendly.

“Can we talk?”

Tiffany spoke up after awhile.

“Sure.”

“We need to ask you something.”

Erika nodded before giving way for the couple to move in. They sat on the sofa and Erika offered drinks but the couple declined. Yuri was rubbing the nape of her neck while Tiffany caressed her left thigh gently.

“Tell her what you know, baby.”

Erika was curious but she just kept quiet. Yuri sighed and told Erika everything she knew from Soo Young. Erika was surprised. It didn’t occur to her that Soo Young could be Yuri’s colleague.

“Taeyeon, please tell me the truth. What happened to you?”

Tiffany was reaching out for her hand. Taeyeon knew Tiffany doesn’t really like her that much. She did nothing but hurt Soo Yeon.

“I will tell you everything.”

-

Jessica and Irene finally reached Yoona’s place. Irene was fascinated with Yoona’s neighbourhood.

“Wow, the apartment looks so modern!”

“Why? Our apartment looks old?”

“Well, this looks a little more high class.”

Irene stuck her tongue out and Jessica gently smacked her daughter’s forehead. Jessica took out her phone and tried calling Yoona again but she spotted Hyoyeon and Sunny nearby. She was surprised.

“Hyoyeon? Sunny? What are they doing here?”

Jessica saw them at the lift lobby. Irene was still looking around in awe. But before Jessica could greet them, the couple got onto the lift and went up.

“14th floor? They stay on the same floor as Yoona?”

Jessica kept muttering to herself as she pulled her daughter’s hand along with her. And Yoona wasn’t answering still. Jessica was getting even more worried.

“Irene, let’s go up quickly. Your Yoona omma is not answering my calls. I’m really worried.”

“Okay.”

-

Tiffany was shocked when Sunny appeared at the front door. She recognized her.

“Wait, you’re the nurse.”

“Hi Miss Hwang, we meet again.”

“You were the one who asked a lot about Soo Yeon and Irene.”

“Yes, I did.”

“So you are a friend of Taeyeon?”

“Taeyeon approached me that very night Soo Yeon was admitted. She told me Soo Yeon was in a labour. I found out what Taeyeon did but because she’s a good friend of mine; that’s why I approached you.”

“Taeyeon was at the hospital too?”

Tiffany jerked to her side. Erika was cowering to her side. Yuri was having the biggest headache of her lifetime.

“You were at the hospital and you didn’t even visit Jessica?!”

“I was afraid you might drive me away.”

“You jerk! Even if I did, you should just appear in front of me and try to find your way back to Soo Yeon’s heart!”

Tiffany lunged towards Erika but Yuri stopped her and Hyoyeon stood in front of Erika.  Sunny tried to appease Tiffany.

“Miss Hwang, calm down!”

“Why should I be calm? This here is the root of all problems! If only she has the balls to say sorry that night, this day wouldn’t come!”

Erika was crying. Tiffany was right. Sunny and Yuri felt the same. Why didn’t Taeyeon do the right thing right from the start?

“So you know you have a daughter all this while?”

Yuri asked when she realized Tiffany was just glaring at Erika instead.

“Yes, Sunny told me.”

“Did you at least see your daughter before you ran away?”

Erika nodded.

“Irene was in the incubator. Sunny brought me to her. I’m sorry that I did the stupidest thing in my life. I held her hand and she wrapped her fingers around my index finger. She was so tiny and fragile. I couldn’t bear to see her in that state.”

Erika looked awful with her tears falling from the sides of her eyes.

“I thought if I disappear from Soo Yeon’s life, she would have a better chance to be happier than she should have been. I didn’t do my part as her wife and I don’t deserve her forgiveness.”

Erika sobbed as she tried to explain her side of the story.

“That night changed my whole life upside down. I found out that the woman was actually a spy from my rival firm. My father hit the roof when he found out that I had stupidly signed my name on the dotted line to sell my shares to that woman. Everything hit me at once; the bad luck came after that. My father kicked me out of the house; disowned me and I was no longer his daughter. I didn’t know what else to do or where to go; I couldn’t possibly run back to Soo Yeon’s arms because I was nothing then. So I changed my name; threw my old identity and became Erika Kim. I took off and started life anew at some other country.”

The house was in silence.

“I know all of you must be wondering why I didn’t return for the last 20 years. I couldn’t. I was in some foreign country where I lived my life as a pauper. I lived off the streets; begged for food and people treated me like dirt. I lived my life like that for the next 2 years until I found a kind soul who willingly took me in and took care of me. But things didn’t get any trouble. My father passed away and I couldn’t even apologize to him because I wasn’t aware.”

Erika wiped her tears away.

“I live my life in misery and full of regrets. Sometimes I wished I was a little stronger; having a little courage to face the of my life but I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth. I couldn’t even fend for myself so how could I look after Soo Yeon and my daughter?”

Tiffany slumped to the sofa; Hyoyeon was nodding her head and Sunny was feeling sorry for her. Yuri looked up to find Yoona hiding behind the bedroom door. She was listening in all the while. Erika looked up and found her dearest friend staring at her. Her eyes were red and swollen.

“Yoona..”

“I don’t know this side of your story.”

“I never told anyone.”

“So that’s the reason why you didn’t date anyone and lives alone?”

Erika stared at the floor. Yoona sighed before approaching Erika cautiously. She knew Erika for 10 years and she had seen how lonely Erika could get. She thought Erika was pathetic but her history was really sad.

“I thought you’re weird and pathetic. You hardly join any parties or even go out with friends. You’re always at home; trapped within the four walls of our apartment.”

“I was ashamed of myself.”

“Well, you shouldn’t be. You have a beautiful wife and a wonderful daughter. Even if you cannot face your reality but at least you should be able to face them. They are your family.”

“I know. I was stupid.”

“This isn’t the time to blame yourself. And I know why you’re hesitating about meeting Jessica. You have a rare heart condition. You think you might die any time.”

The rest of the ladies were stunned. But Yoona smiled and tapped gently on Erika’s shoulders.

“I told you earlier on. I can make Jessica happy. I can live a great life with her but you have a responsibility towards her and her daughter. If you can be the one who can fix all these despite the reason that you broke Jessica in the first place, I rather let you have this chance to win her heart all over again.”

Yuri smiled. She already somehow knew Yoona would give her heart up. It was second nature of Yoona to look at the picture from a different angle.

“You love her, Yoona.”

“I love her for a couple of weeks. You love her for almost 20 years and more. She loves you with all of her heart. That’s nothing compared to my love.”

That sentence hurt so badly. Sunny was tearing up and Hyoyeon looked away. Tiffany’s eyes were red and Yuri placed her arm over Yoona’s shoulder for support. Erika was feeling worst than before.

“The time is yours to keep. I’m not giving you any more chance to be a coward anymore. Go, go and find Jessica and tell her the truth.”

Erika nodded and thanked Yoona. Tiffany was feeling really bad for Yoona as she wrapped her arms around the latter. She hugged Yoona tightly and Yoona broke down eventually.

But...

Jung Soo Yeon was outside door; listening in.

Jung Irene was shocked beyond words as truth came undone.

They stumbled upon this horrible truth and both were too stunned to move until Hyoyeon opened the front door.

She wanted to answer her call but seeing the mother and daughter outside the door scared her.

“Jessica, Irene!”

The people in the house were equally horrified to find them. Soo Yeon glared directly at Erika’s direction. Irene shook her head in disbelief.

“No, no, no! It cannot be! Miss Kim cannot be my mother! I have a good impression of you!”

It was really chaotic after that.

-