A Dark Alleyway

Fancy Meeting You Here

After the incident in the tunnel, Haneul dragged herself back to the south entrance to find a frantic and worried Woohyun standing there pacing back and forth. The moment he saw her, he started fretting and asking her if she was alright. He was actually making such a big fuss that he even managed to cheer her up.

 

"Look, umma. I'm fine!" She said with a small giggle. Seeing her laugh made Woohyun relieved.

 

"Arasso, my daughter." He joking said laughing at her while pulling her in for a tight hug with his left arm, while patting her head with his right hand, "But what happened to make you run off so suddenly?"

 

Haneul froze. The reason why she had run off in the first place actually managed to leave her mind so completely for a second, which was abnormal for a person like her who never stopped thinking. Woohyun sensed her tension and wasn't sure whether to keep pushing the question or to change the topic. "I… I thought I saw something but I wasn't sure. It's nothing, really!" She lied, not very convincingly. Well, actually it would have been a great lie had she not been lying to her best friend of 10 years.

 

"Ah… I see…" Woohyun said in an unconvinced voice, deciding not to push the matter any further. "So… The crisis is over now I heard." He said, deciding to change the subject to avoid any more awkwardness, "Apparently it was a false alarm, and nothing is missing or destroyed, and everything is fine. I think we can go our separate ways now." He said and gave her a quick tight hug before leaving while waving gingerly at her.

 

Haneul looked up after she knew he had turned around and stared at the retracting back of her best friend of 8 years but she didn't have the heart to wave back, not when she had just lied about something like that. She was stuck between whether to tell the IAI the truth about the intruder, or keep it to herself. After much debate, she decided to keep it to herself and see if anything else happens. If anymore bases are infiltrated, she decided, she would tell the IAI everything she knew about the mysterious man she met.

 

Haneul went to find the base managed Inoue Naoko. She found her at the receptionist's desk calling someone, who Haneul presumed to be even higher up officials in the IAI. When Haneul arrive in front of the desk, Inoue Naoko looked up and looked slightly distressed. She quickly pointed Haneul at a leather couch which was near the front desk. Haneul sat down and heard her quickly whisper in perfectly fluent French into the phone. Haneul wasn't that good at French so she only caught a few words. "Maybe… today… reporting soon… yes sir…" Was about all she could understand from the woman's whispers.

 

"Sorami-san." She suddenly heard a stern and cold voice say to her. "You are dismissed now. Feel free to go wherever you want. You deserve a break from all this anyway."

 

She turned to go and walked about two steps in the direction of her office until she suddenly turned around, "Do you want a ticket to Tokyo for a first class flight that is at 6:10, exactly 2 hours and 18 minutes from now?" She said quickly, without a need to even check her watch. This was a skill just about all good field agents and higher ups had. We had no need for a watch at all. We had a good track of time. "Your mother is currently residing in Tokyo right now. Hanako-san here," She said as she gestured to the receptionist, "Will have your new fake passport and print out your ticket for you. She'll also tell you the address of where your mother is residing at this moment in time." Haneul noticed she didn't use the words "give you the address" as of course, giving personal information about field agents in physical form was dangerous. And they were probably counting on Haneul's good memory.

 

"That sounds fine, thanks, Inoue-san." Haneul said and bowed.

 

"You're welcome, Sorami-san. Pass my regards to your mother." She said and walked off.

 

--------

 

At exactly 8pm the Japan Airlines plane Haneul had boarded from Fukuoka landed in Tokyo Narita Airport. "Man, it's late by 20 minutes, and it's only a domestic flight." Haneul muttered to herself.

 

After exactly 7 minutes of the regular safety checks and announcements, the first class passengers were allowed off first. Haneul stepped off her JAL3056 plane with only a small Coach shoulder bag as her luggage was being sent over to her destination later. She eventually made her way into the cool air conditioned building of Narita Airport. As she stepped in, she heard her tummy rumble loudly. She stared down at it and realised she hadn't eaten in over 7 hours.

 

Pumping her right arm in the air she said to herself, "Gogogo Suzuki Michiko!" She shouted out her new fake identity in Japanese, which earned her some strange looks from passersby, "Mission: Find some food to eat!" After her quick talking to herself, she went to the food court. She had no need for a map, because after all her memory was good enough to remember the way around any place she had been to. And this wasn't exactly her first time at Narita Airport. (It was her 6th time actually, to be exact.)

 

She made her way onto the 4th floor of Terminal 2 and she spent a good 2 minutes standing there on the spot thinking about what to eat. She looked up and saw a traditional looking restaurant called 'Tentei' and found out that it sold tempura. She felt watering and remembered that the last time she had tempura was over a year ago. 'Tentei' it is then!

 

After she settled down, a pretty young Japanese girl with a cute eye smile and single dimple on her right cheek came and handed her a menu. Haneul opened the menu and a piece of folded calligraphy paper fell out. Haneul quickly and discreetly slipped it into the left inner pocket of her jacket with her right hand while disguising it as fixing up her jacket and all the while never taking her eye off the menu to make it seem like she really wasn't doing anything suspicious. She made a mental note to read it afterwards.

 

Haneul quickly waved the girl from before over and smiled at her politely before ordering TBanquet Set A for 2 people. The young girl looked at her quite surprised that someone as slim and slender as Haneul could eat so much. "Etto… Okyaku-sama… Our dishes here aren't extremely stingy and small, they're actually rather large so…"

"That's fine!" Haneul said cheerfully and gave a quick smile, "The more the better!" This only caused the girl to look at Haneul more strangely than ever. "Alright then okyaku-sama…" The girl said staring at Haneul as if she were from another planet.

 

After about half an hour, Haneul paid and left the restaurant. She quickly went through the usual procedures of exiting the airport and quickly made her way out of the airport. Haneul swiftly walked out and past the throngs of people who first looked at her with excitement, then changed to blunt disappointment when they saw that she wasn't the loved one they were looking for. Haneul sighed and just walked past them all. The last time when she had anyone excited to see her step off a plane was when her flight had been delayed for 2 hours and the chauffeur was extremely impatient. And the last time when anyone was excited to see her step off a plane just because it was her. Not because she was an agent, somebody else who was too lazy to come pick her up's relative. Not because she had to meet somebody important, or because of even a tour group. That last time was 7 years ago. That last person to have looked excited was her father, Jang TaeHyun.

 

--------

 

I finally got off her 9 hour flight from LA to Seoul. Sure, I was sitting in first class and it was kind of comfortable and all, but 9 hours in a plane still wasn't much fun and she still felt a bit stiff.

 

 "HANEUL!" I suddenly heard a very familiar tenor pitched voice call my name. My head snapped towards the direction of the sound and I saw my favourite male figure in my life called out my name.

 

"APPA!" I shouted, running excitedly towards him. "APPA! APPA!" I called out excitedly to the man whom I hadn't seen in 4 months. "APPA! I MISSED YOU! I HAVEN'T SEEN YOU IN SO LONG!" I shouted loudly to her father. Other people in the airport chuckled at me and pointed at me and said things like "Aww. Look at that little girl! Isn't she the sweetest little thing?" and "Haha. How cute!" But I didn't care at all. The only person that mattered to me at the time was my father, smiling down and crouching down low with his arms open, ready for me to run into them. And that, I did.

 

"Aigooo… My little girl Haneul!" My father said, laughing while tickling me, "You've grown so much in just 4 months!"

 

"Of course!" HI cheerfully chirped out, "And I'm not little anymore! Haha!" I laughed.

 

"Of course… of course… appa's sorry… so Haneul, anything you want to eat today? Appa will buy you anything!" Father said, with one of the biggest smiles anybody would ever see in their lives.

 

"Hmmm… BULGOGI!" I shouted out excitedly after a full 8 seconds of thought.

 

"Okay! Bulgogi it is!"

 

---------

 

"Miss?" She heard a woman's voice call from the left of her. "Daijoubu desu ka?"

 

"Ha?" Haneul said waking up from her reverie, "What's wrong?"

 

"Nono… I was just worried about you, you see. You've been staring at my luggage trolley for a whole minute now. I was just getting a bit worried for you. But now that I'm sure you're fine, I think I'll take my leave. Sayonara!" She waved and forced on a polite smile and wheeled her trolley away from Haneul, obviously worried Haneul was a thief.

 

Haneul looked at the woman and sighed to herself. "Now's not the time to get carried away with your memories Haneul.  She lightly slapped her cheeks with the palms of her hands to try and wake herself up a little. She quickly flagged a taxi outside the airport and asked the man in the car to take her to Roppongi Hills.

 

The moment after Haneul sat down in the taxi she quickly went through her usual checks for any bugs in the taxi. Discreetly though, of course. She wouldn't want to alarm the taxi driver. After she had done all her checks, she pulled out the note from within her jacket to read. It had 3 digits on it. 502. Haneul looked carefully at the paper the note was written on again to check if it was Evapopaper. Evapopaper was a type of paper intelligence agencies around the world had all pitched in effort for, including the IAI, to create. It was a type of paper which would evaporate after moisture was applied to it. "Evapopaper." She thought to herself and quickly stuffed it into . She stuck her tongue out in distaste. It was peppermint, or at least a very bad imitation of it, one of the worse flavours of Evapopaper the intelligence agencies had managed to create. Why the bad flavours were still around baffled Haneul. "Maybe some strange people out there actually like the flavour. Or maybe they made too much at the start and they still have a warehouse store full of them somewhere." Haneul muttered to herself.

 

Halfway through the ride, the taxi got stuck in some Tokyo traffic and the car stopped near an alleyway. Haneul peered out the window into the darkness of the alleyway and saw a familiar figure. "WAIT! STOP THE CAR HERE! I NEED TO GET OUT!" She shouted at the taxi driver and left a 10,000 yen note on her seat, overpaying the driver, before yanking her taxi door open and disappearing into the depths of the dark alleyway.

 

Glossary

Tentei - It's an actual restaurant in Narita Airport. I did my research. Though as to whether it has the meal that Haneul ordered, I do not know as I have never been to Japan. You can always go to Narita Airport then go there and tell me though! ;)

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/shops/rest_shop/rest/floor_list/detail/t2mn04_t000a1.html

Daijoubu desu ka? - Are you alright? Basically the same as Gwenchana?

Roppongi Hills - A luxury mega-complex in Tokyo