Neither did I

Fancy Meeting You Here

 

Haneul’s eyes snapped open to meet the sight of the blank ceiling above her. Her head turned to her right to look at her bedside clock, ready to calibrate her clock for the day. 4:48:32 am.

Haneul sat up straight on the bed ad dangled her legs over the edge o the bed. Her legs, however, were too long for the low bed and touched the ground. Haneul scowled. She had always loved dangling her legs off the edges of beds, couches, boats and whatnot.

Haneul gently brushed the hair out of her face and continued to stare at the ground. “Sungyeol oppa, I wonder how you are right now.” She said as her hand reached out for her charms necklace with the bee hive and crown on it. She gingerly rolled the two charms around in her hands and smiled at them sadly, “You’d better come back soon. I’ve already made everything okay again, so come back soon, okay?” She spoke to the charms almost as if they were a way to communicate with Sungyeol.

Haneul got up and wandered into the bathroom to get ready. After about 1 minutes, she wandered back out and into the kitchen still with slightly damp hair. She pulled out a carton of milk from the fridge that she had bought previously the night before with Kevin. She poured herself a cup and gulped it all down thirstily. She then grabbed a banana from the fruit bowl, her sunglasses, cap and bag and was out the door with her comfortable trainers on.

Haneul was at the lifts patiently waiting for the lift to come up when she heard a familiar voice call out, “Fast packer and early riser?” Haneul turned in the direction of the voice to see Kevin with an amused look upon his face.

“Yeah, I am. Got a problem with that, Sunghyun?” Haneul answered challengingly.

“Nope, not at all. Where are you headed off at this hour of day?”

“Well I must ask of you where you too are headed at this same hour of day.” Haneul threw back.

“Touché.” He replied and nodded.

The lift arrived and the two of them stepped into it together in uncomfortable silence due to their fight the night before. Kevin suspected that part of the reason for the uncomfortable silence was due t her overhearing his and Soo Jin’s conversation, but he suspected wrongly. Haneul never held grudges against people speaking about her behind her back for she had experienced the feeling of that too many times to care much more anymore. She had learnt to let go of those feelings since she was pretty young. The one thing she didn’t, and never would, be able to let go of was betrayal. Because no matter how apathetic she had ever seemed to the matter, the scars of past betrayals ran deep into her very core.

“Look, I’m sorry about last night.” Kevin started in English attempting to initiate conversation to rid the awkward silence, “I shouldn’t be saying things like I don’t like you behind your b-”

“No, that’s not it.” Haneul continued on in English as she leaned back into a corner of the lift and crossed her arms, “I couldn’t care less whether or not you liked me. What I didn’t’ like was you lecturing me, you thinking that you know more than me and have the right to tell me how I should act and what I should be doing.” The lift doors opened and Haneul stepped right out.

“Oh, I’m sorry about that then.” Kevin said as he followed her out, “But I really was just concerned, you know.”

“I don’t know why you’d be concerned about some girl you don’t like, but I really don’t care.”

“Alright. Fine then.” Kevin mumbled and then returned to his normal bright self, “So where are you going?”

“Is it any of your business?”

“Yes.”

“How so?”

“I want to come with oyu.”

Haneul frowned and then spun on her heels to stare at him strangely, “What? Why?”

“I just feel like coming!” Kevin brightly replied.

“No.” Haneul flatly replied ad continued along. Kevin continued to follow Haneul.

“Why not?”

“Because I’m visiting someone.”

“At this time of morning?” Kevin snorted, “You’re not very considerate, are you? Wouldn’t the person be bothered by a girl visiting them at 5 in the morning and waking them up with the sound of the doorbell?”

“No.” Haneul dangled a set of keys in front of Kevin’s face and he swore she didn’t have anything in her hands just seconds ago, “I have keys to his place after all.”

“He?” Kevin raised an eyebrow, “Your father?”

Haneul almost flinched at the mention of her father. Her voice turned icier than before. “No. I don’t even know where my father is.” She mumbled.

“Then who?”

“None of your business.”

“Aww, come on. Tell me?”

“I said none of your business!” Haneul said, starting to get irritated by him, “Why do you care anyway?” Before Kevin could open his mouth to reply, Haneul butted in first, “And don’t tell me stuff like you’re worried. Because we both know that ridiculous and not true.”

“Fine, I won’t ask anymore, but could you at least enlighten me on what you’re planning to do at this… Man’s house?”

“I don’t even think he’s like a proper man, more like a man-child,” Haneul snorted, “But feel fre to call him a man if you want. Though he does have well developed muscles that make many girls swoon over him, I must say. Also once again, that’s none of your business.”

“Yes it is. What if you’re planning to murder him or something? I don’t want to be the acquaintance of a murderer!”

“Oh trust me, he’d be a lot harder to murder than waltzing into his place and just stabbing him with some knife I’d prepared beforehand or something.” Haneul snorted as memories of the last time on a mission somebody tried to kill Woohyun in his sleep. The person ended up having their own face mutilated by their very own knife with Woohyun still only half-conscious.

Kevin’s face seemed to darken slightly at Haneul speaking like that and he grew slightly suspicious of Haneul and the people she was acquainted with, “What kind of person are you getting yourself involved with here?”

“Oh, no one in particular.” Then Haneul realised Kevin was getting slightly suspicious, “But if you must know, I’m just going to crawl into his bed and sleep with him there until he wakes up and give him a heart attack… That is if he’s still asleep. He’s a light sleeper, you see.” Haneul nodded to herself and continued, “And then we’ll go visit my mother or something.” Haneul added the last part in falsely. She knew her mother was currently somewhere in South-East Asia in deep cover and there was no way she’d be allowed to casually have communication with her mother to tell her that her only daughter left would be deciding to put herself right in the limelight. Haneul added it in because she knew that no mother would want their daughter near a dangerous and bad guy and surely Kevin would know this.

Just as Haneul suspected, the part about her mother had done the trick. “Ah, alright then. I won’t disturb a family visit. Just don’t come back too late, alright? And of course don’t murder anyone.” And with that, he turned around and finally left Haneul alone.

“Pfft. The parent trick always works. Too easy.” Haneul said to herself as soon as he was well out of even Haneul’s hearing range. Haneul smirked to herself then continued on her way to Mapo-gu.

----------

Haneul soundlessly slipped the key in and smoothly turned it in the lock. She slowly opened the door a crack and slipped her slender frame in through that crack. She soundlessly pulled the key back out and closed the door behind her. She then sprinted quickly, but silently, for the canvas painting of a picturesque mountain scene and pressed her thumb to the follow of a tree in the painting. The canvas warmed up underneath her thumb for five seconds then suddenly cooled down again. Haneul sighed in relief that she confirmed her identity before the alarms began sounding, whether the owner of the home was in or out.

“Did you think you’d managed to sneak in without my realising?” Haneul turned around to see Woohyun leaning on his bedroom door’s frame. He was still dresses in his favourite pyjamas, a plan white top with striped white and sky blue bottoms. Pyjamas that the two of them had matching ones of. Haneul also realised that she hadn’t seen Woohyun with bed hair in years. She’d completely forgotten how attractive he could be with bed hair. She also noticed that his hair seemed to be messed up so perfectly and instead of having messy hair that turned down his attractiveness, it seemed to up it.

Haneul pouted though, attempting to ignore how good looking Woohyun was, “Aww… How did you know I had come? If I failed to even do a little simple apartment sneaking in, I’m not sure I’m qualified to be an agent.”

“No, don’t worry. You are more than qualified. It’s just that I knew you’d be planning something like this so my alarm’s been changed to notify me the moment the keys I gave to you entered the lock on my door.”

Haneul pouted again, “Aww. You’re no fun! I was planning on sneaking into your bed and giving you a heart attack like we’d always do to each other when we were younger, remember?” And now all of a sudden Woohyun regretted getting back up and alerting Haneul to the fact that he was awake.

“Oh, don’t worry. We can always do that now anyway, you know?” He said and winked at Haneul as seductively as he could. Haneul laughed and walked over to him and poked his forehead.

“No thank you very much, Nam Woohyun. My plan’s already been ruined so I don’t see the point anymore.” With every word Haneul spoke, Woohyun’s forehead received one poke.

“Ow!” Woohyun pouted, “Oppa’s hurt now!”

“Aww, I’m sorry oppa.” Haneul laughed, “However will dongsaeng ever make it up to you”

“Here,” He said as he leaned down slightly to eye level with Haneul with a small y smirk on his face, “Kiss it better.”

Haneul pulled a face and then laughed and used her two hands to pull Woohyun’s face closer. She gave his forehead a small peck then used her finger to push his head back to normal height again. But Woohyun didn’t mind at all and if you couldn’t tell that he was ridiculously happy at that moment then you’re definitely missing quite a few points off your IQ. His smile was so incredibly wide just from Haneul’s one small action.

He ruffled her hair affectionately. “Yah! Why do you love messing my hair up all the time?”

He laughed and leaned down again to return her forehead kiss. He then pulled her close and embraced her. Haneul closed her eyes and buried her nose into the crook of her shoulder and neck and breathed in his same familiar scent which always seemed to stay the same no matter how long she hadn’t seen him for. “It’s been so long since we’ve been able to just be like this, huh.” He whispered quietly to her.

“Mm.” Haneul sounded out in agreement.

Slowly, Woohyun let go of Haneul and smiled gently at her. “So what did you want to see in Hanbi noona’s case?” He asked gently, worried just saying Hanbi’s name would break her.

“The map.” Haneul replied with resolve in her voice, “I’ve finally understood the meaning to the map and the pocket watch. The other items she has left us, I still haven’t figured out yet, but I’m getting there.”

Woohyun seemed extremely happy for Haneul, “So we can finally start the last mysterious mission noona has left us?”

Haneul nodded happily. “I think were meant to find something or someone of some sort. Perhaps this is like the fourth mission she set us. Remember that one?”

“Oh yeah, the scavenger hunt? That one was fun!” Woohyun exclaimed, eyes shining at the memory of when he was 10 and Haneul was 8, “That one was my personal second favourite! It was also Sungyeol…” Woohyun suddenly trailed off awkwardly. He cleared his throat then changed the topic casually, “So what are we going to do now?” Haneul realised that he was avoiding the topic for Haneul. Haneul then felt that she probably shouldn’t tell him that she had a dream about Sungyeol just recently.

Haneul pulled the pocket watch out of her pocket which now had a huge crack on it. Woohyun’s eyes widened.  “Holy! What have you been doing to it since I last saw it?”

“I split it on purpose.” Haneul replied bluntly as she cracked open the pocket watch and pulled the metal sheet out to show Woohyun. His eyes widened yet again as he understood why Haneul wanted to see the map now.

“Map page and grid reference?” He asked. Haneul nodded.

“At least that’s what I think it is.”

“Hanbi noona’s smart… so smart.” He said as he thought to the girl who must have been creating the last mission she was ever going to leave Haneul and her two best friends, which is now only one. “And to think she was only 13 at the time.”

Haneul nodded and pointed to his room, “So shall we go take a look at the case?”

--------

“Oppa…” Haneul said as she clung onto Woohyun’s arm with one hand nervously whilst the other was tugging at the hem of her mini black dress, “Are you sure this is the right place?”

“Yes. I’m quite sure. My contact said it definitely was anyway.”

“Are you sure your contact’s right?”

“Haneul, look it’s okay. We’re both of age. No one’s going to throw either of us out.”

“That’s not what I’m worried about.” Haneul said as she bit her lip.

“Then what?”

“I’m going to be seen in here with this ridiculously ty and revealing dress on.” Haneul said as she frowned, “What if I see anyone I know in here? My image will be ruined immediately.”

“Look Haneul, just relax and pretend you’re like any other girl wearing a ridiculously short dress in here. Just stick to me and act like any other girl who’s clinging to some smoking hot eye candy.” Haneul rolled her eyes at Woohyun and smacked him over the top of his head. “See!” He exclaimed as he rubbed his head, “That’s exactly how you shouldnot behave. Just act shallowly infatuated with me due to my looks or something.”

“Fine.” Haneul mumbled and pouted as she clung onto Woohyun’s arm like an idiot.

“Now put your y face on.” Woohyun whispered to Haneul as the two of them got out of their limo and went towards the club named ‘Utopia’ which was in the Hongdae club district, very close to Woohyun’s home.

Haneul grabbed his neck and pulled him down towards her face and towards any other person it would’ve seemed like they were kissing, “What do you mean by y face?”

“Argh. I knew I should’ve educated you on some things before we came here.”

“How do you know so much anyways?” Haneul asked suspiciously.

“I just do, alright? And as for a y face just act uninterested in everything and don’t open your eyes too widely and innocently.”

“Alright. Whatever you say, songsaengnim of acting y and going to clubs.” Haneul rolled her eyes as she released him and made it seem like the two of them had finally let go after an extremely long kiss. She changed her grip back to his arm.

“Just two.” Woohyun said as he held up two fingers with his right hand as he left hand pulled out a thick wallet of cash.

“Alright. 100,000 won please.”

Woohyun handed them a 100,000 won note and the two of them proceeded into the club. “Such a pricey place. Must be upper class.”

“What’s got me wondering is why Hanbi unnie who was a 14 year old at the time is directing us towards this place. You are absolutely sure that this is the right place, right?”

“Yes, I am Haneul.” He sighed and rolled his eyes, “We went through this many times in the car.”

“Alright then.” Haneul mumbled.

Woohyun sighed again, “Not too cute, I told you.”

“I’m not even being cute!” Haneul hissed back at him without opening . She was highly trained in the art of ventriloquism, after all. Both of them were.

The two of them soon found themselves in the centre of the dance floor. “The room’s circular.” Woohyun said as the two of them leaned in together and danced slowly, with Woohyun’s hands around Haneul’s waist and Haneul’s around his neck. The two of them gazed into each other’s eyes softly.

“Twelve doors. Evenly spaced.” Haneul said back with her ventriloquist skills, eyes not leaving Woohyun’s, not even for a moment.

“Think that represents a clock?” He whispered back, mouth not moving.

“4:40:28. That’s the time that’s frozen on the pocket watch.”

“You think we should go take a look at the space between what door 4 and 5 are?”

“With the main entrance as 12?”

“Yeah.”

“Alright, let’s go.”

Haneul released her hands from Woohyun’s neck and he released one hand from her waist. The other however, was still on her waist as he led her towards the area between doors 4 and 5. The walked over to find that there was where the DJ was working. The DJ appeared to be a tall man either in his mid or high 20s.

Haneul then remembered the random scribblings on the edges of the pages in the map. On page 49 was a couple of scribblings of 5 different things. Each of these 5 different words was scribbled 3 times. The one closest to the grid containing this club was a name.

Shin Changsun. Shim Changmin who was Hanbi’s close friend’s older brother.

“Where that DJ is… It’s exactly 2/3 of the way away from door 4 and towards door 5.” Woohyun muttered to Haneul.

“I think he’s the person we’re looking for.”

“But how do we approach him? Was there any sort of secret phrase we were supposed to pass on?” Haneul could tell Woohyun was starting to panic.

“I think there is.” Haneul said as she frowned and brought up a mental image of page 49 of the map in her mind.

“Well what is it then? And we don’t even know his name.”

“I do.” Haneul said and then she remembered the scribble on the page done in English. “As for the secret phrase… I think I know that too.”

“How?”

“Remember the stuff Hanbi unnie scribbled on the page?”

“Ahh…” Woohyun said as he begun to remember. “So smart, my Haneul.”

“Thank you. And I’m only smart compare to you.” Haneul said as she pushed his arm away from her and made her way towards the DJ, avoiding grinding girls and guys left and right.

“Yah!” Woohyun called a little loudly which caused a couple of people to stare at him weirdly. He ducked his head downwards and went after Haneul.

“Hi Changsun oppa.” Haneul said brightly to the DJ, “You’ve been working here quite a couple of years, haven’t you?”

He gave Haneul a peculiar look, “Who are you, how do you know I’ve been working here quite a couple of years and why are you calling me oppa?”

“Oh, the first and third ones are easy to answer but I’m afraid it’s not so easy for the second one. You see, I’ve only been able to guess that you’ve worked here a while.”

“So then answer the first and the third.”

“Alright then. Last one first. I’m calling you oppa because you’re older than me, obviously.”

“And then who are you?” He asked as he tapped his arm.

“Jang Hanbi’s younger sister.”

He narrowed his eyes at her. “Who’s Jang Hanbi?”

“Did you forget? Shim Changmin’s close friend.”

“My brother’s close friend? What do you m-” Then Changsun seemed to realise. “Oh. That girl? From 9 years ago?”

“Yes.” Haneul bit her lips, “From 9 years ago.”

Then he seemed to realise what that meant. “Prove it to me then.”

Woohyun finally made it through the crowd of grinding couples, “Uh, how is she supposed to prove to you she’s Jang Hanbi’s younger sister?”

“Parisian occult by the moonlight.” Haneul said to him in her perfect English.

“What?” Woohyun asked, squinting his eyes.

“I see.” Shim Changsun nodded, “I understand now.” He pointed to the bar. “Please wait there for just a minute until my shift ends. It’s almost over. Feel free to get a drink. It’s on the house.”

Haneul and Woohyun made their way towards the bar. The bartender asked them if they wanted anything. Woohyun asked for some mint julep and the bartender nodded and walked away to make it. Haneul raised an eyebrow. “I didn’t know that you drink.”

“And I didn’t know that you were the type of person to hang out at a club in a ridiculously short dress.” Woohyun teased Haneul. She stuck her tongue out at him.

“Neither did I.”

-----------------

A/N

An extra long chappie just for my awesome readers ^.^!!