Bonding time with Soo Jin

Fancy Meeting You Here

 

“Yah… Yah! Jang Haneul! Gwenchana?” Soo Jin asked, scared. She may have always seemed cold towards Haneul, but she couldn’t deny the fact that there was something about Haneul she just liked. Maybe it was the fact that Haneul seemed like a jack-o-lantern, scary and strange on the outside but you could just tell there was something warm and bright inside of her. She’d always been curious as to what made Haneul like that and always suspected that it was something like her own story and today it was confirmed. But what she hadn’t expected was to see Haneul in this state.

“Soo Jin…” Haneul pushed the syllables out of as if she was in pain just saying them. Soo Jin saw Haneul’s eyes slowly, slowly become moist.

Then Soo Jin realised something. Even if she had only known Haneul for little over a month, she could tell that Haneul wasn’t the type to cry easily. Yet both the times she had cried, or in this case almost cried, was when something was related to her sister. She suspected there was something painful in her past that she couldn’t bring up. “Alright, alright. Let’s move off this topic. Let’s go to the company for more practise or something today since I don’t have any lectures to attend at SNU. Maybe check with the president about some stuff. And what was that song you said you needed me to write a rap for?”

Haneul looked like a lost puppy in Soo Jin’s opinion for a second. Just a second. Then she recovered her composure. “Oh, the song? Hang on. I’m going to play it for you and sing the lyrics and you can write the lyrics in for the space I left you.” Haneul pulled out her notepad and quickly flipped to the page the lyrics were on.

Soo Jin read the lyrics and raised an eyebrow, “You’re quite the lyricist, aren’t you? Yet you’re a singe at the same time. You can also dance, although in my opinion you’re a little bit awkward. Next thing we know, you’re also a rapper.”

“No, I don’t think I can rap.” Haneul shook her head, “I can say things very quickly all in one breath, but I can’t rap.” She laughed.

“I’ll be the judge of that later.” Soo Jin smirked at Haneul. Haneul nodded and then grabbed the keyboard she had bought the other day and set it up next to her bed so she could use her bed as a chair.

She looked at Soo Jin when she finished setting it up who quickly gave her thumbs up to show she was ready to hear the song. Haneul took a deep breath and began playing the song. After about 4 bars into the piece, Haneul began singing.

“The rains which pour for 365 days a year
The winds that beat down on me for 7 days a week
The loved ones forever running from me 24 hours a day
And my heart which continues to contract 60 minutes an hour

The time ticks by, ever so slowly
Tick tick tick, time goes by
Only wishing that you were here
Every second of the day

Do you see that clock
It’s ceased to move
Do you see my heart
It’s ceased to beat
Do you see my tears
They’re running down my face
Do you see that clock
It’s never going to tick again

All 365 days without you crush me
And with every passing second, I think about you
With everyone passing moment, I wonder if I think of me too
All 365 days without you, have killed my heart

Do you see that clock
It’s ceased to move
Do you see my heart
It’s ceased to beat
Do you see my tears
They’re falling down my face
Do you see that clock
It’s never going to tick again”

Haneul continued playing her piece, leaving the blank part for Soo Jin. Soo Jin then began adlibbing and began rapping.

“You who only ever sees you, yourself and that person in the mirror
Do you know how my heart has been since you’ve left
How do you still deserve my love, my heart
The clock goes tick, and my heart goes crack
Find me a way to mend my heart, right now

Haneul stopped playing after Soo Jin’s rap and gave her a look of awe.

“What?” Soo Jin asked snappily as she saw Haneul unnervingly stare at her. “Is there something on my face or something?”

“No… I was just in awe of the fact that you can rap so well and just adlib like that!” Haneul clapped and nodded her head, “You remind me of Junhyung oppa so much!”

“You know Yong Junhyung as well?” Soo Jin asked with an eyebrow raised, “Man, how many famous and prominent guys do you know exactly?”

“All the members of Beast.” Haneul nodded her head, “You’ve heard Junhyung rap before, right?”

“Of course.” Soo Jin rolled her eyes, “Who hasn’t?”

“Well I think you’re just like a female version of him.” Haneul clapped her hands in delight. “It’ll be s great to work with you! And Hye Su umma’s voice is so good!”

“Umma?” Soo Jin raised an eyebrow.

Haneul clapped a hand over , “Whoops. I guess Eun Ae rubbed off on me. And don’t you think Soo Jin’s like a mother to us?” Haneul sheepishly asked as she scratched the nape of her neck.

“I guess.” Soo Jin shrugged and then a mischievous look came upon her face, “And don’t you think Soohyun’s like the dad?”

“Oh, yes he is.” Haneul said and laughed along with Soo Jin.

“Don’t you think the two of them just look so good together?” Soo Jin asked with a twinkle in her eye.

Haneul paused and then scratched her head. “What do you mean by ‘they look good together’ anyway?”

Soo Jin gave Haneul a strange look. “Are you sure you’re from this century?”

“Yes. Very sure.” Haneul nodded.

“So why don’t you know what I mean by that?” Soo Jin crossed her arms, “Every youth knows what those words mean.”

Haneul shrugged. “I’ve never really understood them. Why would anyone say two people look good together? I just don’t understand it.”

“Well, if you want an example I’d say that like I just said, Soohyun and Hye Su look good together.”

“Yeah, but what does it mean?”

“’They look good together’ means they look suited to be going out with each other.” Soo Jin explained then gave Haneul a queer look. “You really sure you’re from this century?”

“Yes, I am.” Haneul rolled her eyes. “So, when you say that two people ‘look good together’ it means that you think they would be good as a couple?” Haneul curiously asked again.

“Yes, it means exactly that. So now that you know the meaning, don’t you think that Hye Su and Soohyun look good together?”

Haneul stopped to ponder a while then nodded. “Yup. They do, don’t they? Umma and appa.” Haneul laughed. “And plus, Soohyun’s the only one who’s older than Hye Su out of U-Kiss.” Haneul stopped to think a while. “Don’t you think you and Kevin are kind of good together?” Haneul just said.

Soo Jin wrinkled her eyebrows in distaste, “What? Me and that girly thing?”

“Yeah!” Haneul nodded.

“How so?”

“You’re both so straight forward and to the point. And not to mention the both of you can be such jerks at times!”

“Yah!” Soo Jin said and  grabbed Haneul’s head and put her in a headlock which of course, Haneul let her do. “How dare you call your elder a jerk? Apologise!”

“No!” Haneul stuck her tongue out and then pinched Soo Jin’s arm and Soo Jin immediately let Haneul out of the headlock. “I won’t take back what I said!”

“You know what? I’ll tell you who looks good with Kevin.” Soo Jin said, pointing her finger at Haneul.

“Who?” Haneul asked curiously.

“You.” Soo Jin said and smiled at Haneul.

Haneul gave Soo Jin the queerest expression and folded her arms across her chest, ready for an explanation for this strange statment. “Reason being…?”

“I said it, didn’t I? The two of you just look good together. I feel this sense of just wholeness when I see you two together like in that news article before.”

Haneul turned up the queerness in her look, if that were even possible. “What sort of nonsense are you spouting? Now get out of my room please, Soo Jin.” Haneul said and pointed to the door with an innocent expression.

“Geez…” Soo Jin muttered as she began to stand up, “All I was doing was just giving you my opinion… Such a rude girl…”

“I heard that!” Haneul said and laughed.

Soo Jin saw Haneul’s laugh and somehow felt glad that Haneul was smiling instead of pained and terrified like before. “Let’s go to the company now, okay? We should show the president the song.”

“Ah, good idea!” Haneul nodded and grabbed her notepad and bag and headed out the door with Soo Jin