Friend or Foe?

Fancy Meeting You Here

Due to her body developing a sort of immunity towards chloroform from it being used too often on her, Haneul woke up much quicker than an average human would. She woke up to hear the whirring of a fan. The types of fans she'd heard the whirring of too often in the tunnel. "So then I'm still in the tunnel" She thought to herself. Haneul was still groggy, but she still opened her eyes open only the slightest amount to look at her surroundings. She could only just make out the fact that she was still in the tunnel, and she was being carried by a man in his arms. She presumed the man was the one who knocked her out before. She quickly shut the small gap between her two eyelids that she was peering through before. Several thoughts were racing themselves through her brain. Most of them questions like "How come I didn't immediately realise I was being carried?" (to which she realised the answer. Because she was still too groggy from the previous use of chloroform. Her immunity hadn't taken care of that yet), "Why am I still in the tunnel?" and the most pressing concern on her mind, "Who is this man?"

 

"You're awake?" She heard the man suddenly whisper to her in Japanese. She could detect a slight accent as if he were a foreigner.

 

She simply ignored him in case it was a trick question designed to get her to open her eyes. If he really was using the trick, then Haneul can't just easily fall into his trap. Suddenly she heard chuckling.

 

"Kekeke. You're cute. Pretending to still be knocked out cold when you're clearly away."

This really got Haneul. She flung her eyes open wide despite the fact she was still groggy and couldn't see clearly and exclaimed out loud, "One: I'm not cute, and two: How did you know I was pretending!!?"

 

Haneul simply heard the man chuckle some more and calmly say "Because I know who you are and your abilities. Sky. Agent 72. And you might want to be a bit more quiet if you don't want to be discovered."

 

Haneul's heart almost skipped a beat. ". The enemy knows who I am and what I am. He even knows my agent number." Haneul thought to herself. Haneul quickly rolled herself out of the man's grip, then staggered up from the floor with her arms still tied. "Who are you and what do you want!?" She hissed to the unknown man. She couldn't even try to identify him as he had a mask on. And even if he didn't it'd be too hard for her with the limited light in the tunnel. To make matters even worse she chose to push herself off and make him stop at the worst possible lighting angle. His entire face was dark and she couldn't make out any of his facial features. All she could tell was the fact that he was quite tall. Haneul estimated his height to be about 1.8m or so.

 

"Keke." He chuckled again, "Such a feisty girl. Just let me continue with my job, will you?" Haneul couldn't see his face but she imagined him smirking at this very moment.

 

"What do you want?" She tried again more gently, "Who are you? And what do you want with me?"

 

Haneul and the stranger continued their staredown for awhile (or so she thought. She really couldn't be sure without being able to see his face.)

 

"I'm just a humble servant." He suddenly replied. "Sky. Here." He said as he tossed a manila folder at her feet. It landed with a heavy thud just perfectly 2 inches away from her feet, all aligned and nice. "I'm thinking you'd probably want that." The stranger then came over to her side and whispered in her ear. "I'll make a deal with you. You don't tell anyone I was here today, don't further question my identitiy and I'll cut you free and let you keep that folder there at your feet, deal?"

Haneul thought it through. It sounded like a good deal, but she didn't yet know what was in the folder. "Show the contents of the folder to me first." She coldly replied. The man complied and open the folder and showed her the first 3 pages of the document in there. Haneul's eyes widened. They were all of Mephistopheles' plans for her operations for the next 6 months. With this the intelligence agency she worked for could easily track down Mephistopheles and put her behind bars, where she belonged. Whilst the last parts of the document appeared to show some of the information and data behind her drug and human trafficking. Grudgingly, Haneul accepted the deal the stranger offered her.

 

"I can trust you, right? The information in this is not false, right?" She questioned sternly.

"No. Of course not." The man replied, "Whilst you may not know me, I am known to those that know me as someone who can always be trusted to do what they have promised." He finished off and cut the ropes binding Haneul's hands with a small dagger. Haneul felt her hands come free and tried to spin around to see the man's face, but he gripped her arm. Haneul could tell he was a martial artist like her. He then whispered "Now keep your side of the deal." and walked off into the tunnel.

 

After taking a few steps though, he stopped."Oh. By the way. I wasn't stalking you when I found you. I just happened to come across you by chance before. And also, we're in tunnel 12 right now for your information and I'm walking in the direction of tunnels 35 and 36. I recommend not using tunnel 15 if you want to get out of here without a struggle."

 

Haneul felt useless using this complete stranger's information and even trusting him, but a smidge of her conscience kept saying to her "But he didn't hurt you when he could have. He even gave you such a good deal."

 

"Fine. I'll trust him for now." Haneul muttered to herself. Then she called out to the man "Hey. Are you a friend or a foe?"
The man seemed to stop in his tracks and he turned around slightly and called back, "I said. I'm just a humble servant."

 

There was a long silence as he seemed to be contemplating something. "Sky?"
"Yeah?" Haneul answered.
"Please quit this. You're still too young for this. You're only 16 aren't you? 16 is far too young an age to die. Wait until you're at least my age for this. Oh… wait… you don't know how old I am. Oh well. Never mind then." He said as he raised a hand as if to salute her. Then he continued walking down the tunnel again.

 

Haneul watched him walk onwards. "No." she whispered so quietly to his back that only those within a metre range would've been able to hear, "You're wrong. I'm not too young to die. Nobody is." As the last word came out of , she slowly closed her eyes and a single tear quietly slid its way down past one perfect cheekbone, down her cheek and off her face and onto the dirty tunnel floor.

 

Glossary

 

Sky - Haneul in english means sky, and Sky is her codename. Another code name for her is Byeol.

 

-----------

When I said mask, think City Hunter style mask :)

Like the one that covered his mouth and nose