IAI part 2

Fancy Meeting You Here

Haneul ran all the way down to the base of the stairs and was smiling because she made a new friend.
"Hehe." She thought to herself, "I hardly ever get to meet people my age nowadays. That was nice! Now what is this?" She thought to herself as she saw a door that looked like it hadn't been touched in several decades, and when opened, sounded like it hadn't been oiled in just as long.

 

As Haneul pressed down on the door handle, she felt it warming up underneath her hand. "Must be fingerprint sensitive" she thought to herself. After she opened the door, the corridor inside looked much newer and well kempt and more like the base of a top secret intelligence agency. Directly ahead was a large shiny door with a capital 'A' on it. On each side was long thin columns, which Haneul assumed were the letter 'I's. "Nice touch." Haneul thought aloud. On each 'I' column was a small screen. As Haneul approached the door, the screens lit up with an outline of left and right hands, respective to each side the screens were on.

 

When Haneul stood 1m directly in front of the door, she heard a cool mechanical voice say in fluent English "Please place dominant hand on the outline on the respect side." Haneul did as the mechanical voice requested, and placed her right hand on the outline of a hand on the respective screen. The screen grew warm under her hands and gave a little "Ding" when the scan was complete. "Thank you very much, Agent 72, Haneul-sama." It now replied in perfect Japanese, "Please wait for confirmation from the front desk for entry." Haneul waited about half a minute before the shiny silver metal doors abruptly .

 

The first thing Haneul saw she couldn't even make out what sort of object it was. The black blur flew towards her  at a high speed and after her several years of intense training, she leapt aside and watched the 'thing' abruptly stop next to her.

 

"HANEUL!" She heard the thing yell out before it engulfed and lifted her up off the floor in a large bear hug which resembled more of a wrestling tackle, almost knocking all of the breath out of her at once.

"YAH! PABO! GET OFF ME AT ONCE!" She yelled at the thing and flailing about hitting it, who happened to be a childhood friend of hers, "AND WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE AT THE FUKUOKA BASE?"

 

"To visit you of course!" He let go of Haneul all the while smiling evilly at her, "Hey. You're getting better at yelling at me while I'm hugging you! How?"

 

Haneul glared at him as if she was completely pissed off, while truthfully on the inside she was extremely happy. "Pff. Because I practised with other guys, of course." She said on purpose to try and piss him off, "And you still haven't answered my question PROPERLY. Last I heard, you were in Bangkok on a mission." She finished off.

 

Woohyun pretended to put on a serious face and replied, "Indeed. But hear that? I'm not in Bangkok ANYMORE… I WAS in Bangkok." He said winking after he finished the sentence, "But now I'm here to have a mission briefing on my next mission in HIROSHIMA." He said and then stared at Haneul awkward for two seconds before breaking out into a soft smile, "So… how have you been…? You… weren't serious about other boys hugging you, were you?" He cautiously asked the question narrowing his eyes at her.

 

Haneul laughed softly and said to him cheekily, "Of course I am. In the three months I didn't see you, did you really think I could survive without hugs?" Haneul teased, "In fact I hugged a guy juuuuuust under five minutes ago!" She said to him cheerfully while thinking to herself "That's not a lie though."

 

"YAH! HANEUL!" Woohyun yelled at her before Haneul started to laugh.

 

"Anyway, it was nice to see you again after so long." Haneul said happily as her laughter died out a little, "I've got to be on my way now. Inoue-san probably wants to see me now."

 

"Haha. Yeah. Goodbye." He said as he gave Haneul a kiss on her forehead before she walked while waving in through the doors which, thankfully, had stayed open despite it being quite a while since it had opened.

 

Woohyun smiled at her retracting figure. "That girl… forever teasing me." He chuckled to himself and walked off, away from the door and to the outside world.

 

---------------------------------------------

 

"Hmmm~~~~~~" Haneul hummed to herself while she walked up to the front desk.

 

The 'receptionist' looked up and smiled when she saw Haneul. "Haneul-sama. This way please. Inoue-sama would like to meet with you immediately." She spoke extremely politely.

 

"Of course." Haneul smiled politely back at the woman as she brought out the files she had received from the mysterious man back in the tunnels under Mephistopheles' hideout. "Time to see if these are the real deal" Haneul thought to herself.

 

After the receptionist made a call to "Inoue-sama", she stood up and led Haneul down a brightly lit tunnel towards a large black walnut door finished off with a matching ornamental silver door knob and door knocker. She used the door knocker to make three quick knocks and announced, "Inoue-sama. Haneul-sama is here to see you."

"Allow her in." Haneul heard a strong female voice reply in Japanese from behind the door.

 

The receptionist slowly opened the door so it formed a 90 degree angle with its initial position. She bowed to the back of dark figure standing behind a large black walnut desk which was positioned in front of a very large window with light streaming in while saying "Good day to you, miss". After greeting the woman who Haneul guessed would've been Inoue-san, the receptionist's boss, the receptionist left.

 

"Sorami-san, I presume?" The dark figure replied with a steady voice. "It's nice to see you." She said, even though she wasn't actually looking at Haneul, but Haneul guessed she'd probably already seen pictures of Haneul before, "Please sit." She said while turning around and gesturing to a velvet covered seat in front of her desk.

 

Haneul saw that Inoue Naoko was quite a beautiful woman, although her expression seemed to be extremely cold and stern. She had a fashionable bob cut and was wearing a dark purple suit, which Haneul guessed to be made of silk, that day. Haneul slowly sat down on the seat with perfect posture and placed her hands on her lap, folding her arms neatly.

 

"It's a pleasure to meet you too." Haneul replied in her perfect Japanese.

 

"Right. Now that we're done with the formalities, let's get straight down to business." Inoue Naoko said pronouncing every syllable evenly. Haneul could tell she was a straight forward woman. "I believe you have something you would like to show us."

 

Haneul smiled and brought out the manila folder she had received from the mysterious man she met in the tunnels below Mephistopheles' hide out's tunnels that night from inside her leather messenger bag and placed it on the large and neat black walnut desk in front of Inoue Naoko. "I discovered these files while I was in the tunnels underneath Mephistopheles' hide out exactly 17 hours ago, and I believe that they are Mephistopheles' plans of action for the next 6 months, information and data on her drug and human trafficking, and even some contacts she has used to be able to obtain resources and escape from our clutches every time." Haneul said, all in one long breath, though not including information on how she came across the files, "I believe that with this information we will have the evidence to hold against her and also the information to track her down so we can place her in a top security prison, where she belongs."

 

Inoue Naoko showed the fact that she was impressed by raising one perfectly plucked right eyebrow, "Hm. Why thank you. Finding this must not have been easy." She spoke these words with a slight tinge of respect for Haneul, "I see what they said about you was not wrong. You are certainly an efficient agent for us, despite your young age."

 

Haneul smiled, but not in pride, but rather more as a way to express the fact she already knew this, though she did feel slightly guilt that she was once again, hiding how she obtained the files, "Why thank you, Ino-…"

 

"But just one thing. This information is useless now." Inoue Naoko said, raising her voice slightly. "Mephistopheles is currently in a coma in a private hospital on the outer fringes of Nagasaki. It seems there was an attack on her life last night, right after you left the premises of her hide out." She pronounced the last few words with almost an anger on her otherwise monotone voice.

 

Haneul stared in horror. This was not possible. How would somebody be able to get through to Mephistopheles' main office and be able to kill her! Even Haneul, a top trained secret agent for a top intelligence agency wasn't able to do that. Unless this person had greater skills than her… And then it hit her. That mysterious man from the night before. Her eyes widened in horror. What if he was only giving her the information because he knew Mephistopheles was likely to go down that night, so he knew the information would be useless. Could it be?

 

Before Haneul could sort out her thoughts though, she heard an alarm ring through the IAI's Fukuoka base and all the lights turned off leaving her and Inoue Naoko-san in darkness. Both of the two of them whipped their gazes out the windows and saw that red lights were flashing from outside the window.

 

"Code red. Code red. Base has been infiltrated. Shut down has been initiated. Please enter emergency protection procedures immediately."

 

Glossary

 

Nagasaki - A Japanese city on the japanese island of Kyushu. A city quite close to Fukuoka. It is the closest city to where the Mephistopheles' hide out that was mentioned was.