A gut feeling

Fancy Meeting You Here

 

"So…" Haneul said while drumming her fingers, as Audrey slid back into her seat after coming back from her call, "What did Gikwang say about it?" She sat back upright and faced Audrey with no expression whatsoever on her face.

 

"Well…" Audrey said, then started curling her hair with her right index finger, to annoy Haneul on purpose, "He said…"

 

Haneul's expression didn't change though. There was just a slightly hint of annoyance in her voice, "It's okay Audrey, take your time then. If you really wish for me to decapitate you, friend or not, then continue at this slow pace you are going at." She said while she cautiously repositioned herself in a position to attack. She knew Audrey would be able to see this of course, as it was all an act to scare Audrey into quickly telling Haneul whatever she was supposed to tell. Audrey knew Haneul wouldn't actually harm her, as Haneul hated hurting anyone, but she was still scared.

 

"Alright, alright!" Audrey gave in and decided to just give Haneul the information. "Why I still play around with you, I don't even know myself." She muttered, "Anyway, Gikwang said you can either try Cube Entertainment where he's at, cos he said he can explain the situation to CEO Hong for you, and he said CEO Hong's pretty understanding. And isn't your cousin Hyunseung the one in Beast?" Haneul froze slightly when she heard his name.

 

"Hyunseung's in Beast? The group that Gikwang's in?" Haneul said with completely confused eyes.

 

Audrey slowly brought her palm to her face, and yes, facepalmed. "Why is it, I know where your family is better than you?" She sighed, "You should probably keep up with pop culture a little more if you're planning to pull off the cover of an average Korean teenage girl anytime soon."

 

Haneul nodded to herself, "Ahh… So that's where the boy went!" She said to herself and clicked her fingers in front of her face, "It's been such a long time since I saw oppa!"

 

Audrey gave Haneul a strange look and then decided to continue on, "Or, he said, you can try NH Media. He heard that their only current boy group U-Kiss received not much training before they debuted… Though the actual reason for that is because the CEO of the company was worried that some members of the group would have no time for too much training so he debuted them without much training." Audrey finished talking and just looked at Haneul who looked back at Audrey.

 

"I don't know. " She admitted simply, "What do you think? I know nothing about the K-Pop world."

 

Audrey looked over at Haneul and sighed, "Come on Haneul. Stop being lazy and think about it yourself. Though I think before you make your decision I should tell you some things."

 

"And that is?"

 

"Cube Entertainment is a much bigger entertainment company than NH Media, but NH Media…"

"Yeah?"

"Is under the KT corporation."

 

"Yes… so how is that rela-…" Haneul paused as the information ran itself over in her brain. Audree watched Haneul's reaction closely.

 

"Exactly. You have connections, do you not?" She said winking at Haneul slightly, then standing up to leave Haneul in all her thought, "I'm going to go over to the counter and order us some coffee. A bit suspicious to the average citizens how we've just been sitting here for half an hour without ordering anything, isn't it? I'm going to get order myself a mocha. A decaf cappuccino for you?" she asked and Haneul nodded. Audrey then smiled slightly at Haneul then walked over to the counter.

 

Haneul laced her fingers together to form a bridge, and rested her forehead upon it. She sighed. "Eotteoke, eotteoke…." She mumbled to herself, wondering what to do. Cube Entertainment as a company’s a lot bigger than NH Media and she’d probably be successful a lot faster. Haneul suddenly realised that her career path had already been lined out for her, and she wasn’t here to look for a future as a K-Pop idol. This was only just to investigate some things. “Maybe I should go with NH then…” Haneul muttered under her breath.

 

But then she remembered Hyunseung, her cousin she had not seen since she was 12. If she joined Cube her cousin and Gikwang both could probably explain things out to the CEO. She remembered her cousin fondly calling their CEO “Papa Hong”. Haneul smiled a little to herself. It’d be nice to have someone to call and treat as a father again. Then Haneul realised where her line of thoughts were going and shook her head slightly.

 

“No Haneul.” She continued muttering to herself, “Don’t go there. And plus. You’re not looking for a future in the K-Pop industry. This is only temporary. The more successful you are, the more likely people are going to notice your disappearance when you need to leave again…” She trailed off and stopped muttering to herself as she thought about how it was always a big lie for her every time she left a new identity. She always had to leave behind the new people she met. For a highly trained spy though, Haneul was too caught up in her own thoughts to realise Audrey came back and was listening to her mutterings.

 

“Then try NH. It’s okay. Hyunseung won’t be too heartbroken by his baby cousin prioritizing her job over him.” Audrey said to her and just chuckled. “It’s okay. I’ll explain. You just go do what needs to be done.” She said while slowly standing up and smiling kindly at Haneul. Haneul looked up at Audrey and smiled at her. Audrey was so much like her older sister sometimes that Haneul even looked up to her as one.

 

“Gomawo, unnie.” Haneul said gratefully, and slowly stood up as well. They both made their way out of the café, walking slowly with their heads angled slightly downwards staring at their phones. Both of them were making a quick inspection of the place they just left. “Coast clear.” Haneul typed on her phone while position her thumb in a position so the CCTV camera installed in the department store couldn’t see what she typed even if someone hacked into the CCTV system to look at what she wrote. She tipped the screen slightly towards Audrey, and knew Audrey was looking at her screen with minimal movement behind the curtain of hair blocking her face off from all CCTV cameras in the room. Audrey straightened up and cleared the hair away from her face while fixing up the jacket she was wearing. Haneul saw Audrey briefly flash her thumb upwards before using that very thumb to push a section of her jacket upwards to fix it up while the right edge of Audrey’s lips twitch slightly into a small smirk.

 

They soon climbed into a Bentley with tinted windows, which also happened to be bulletproof, as Audrey had requested the CIA prepare beforehand. They just silently sat there, waiting for the car to get nearer to their destination.

 

After a while, the driver of the Bentley the CIA had prepared was approaching the IAI Tokyo base and told the two girls sitting at the back that the car would arrive in about 5 minutes. Audrey quickly pulled up the padding of the seat next to her to reveal a secret compartment, and pulled out a mocha coloured wig with light curls made from 100% human hair, a make-up kit and a fuchsia coloured fake diamond studded leather jacket and handed it to Haneul. Haneul stared at the leather jacket in disgust and just commented on the colour with a raised eyebrow, “Seriously? Bright pink?”

 

Audrey snorted in return and just corrected her that it was “Fuchsia to be exact” and said “It’s bulletproof though, for my dear dongsaeng suffering from extreme paranoia. And plus, the more you stand out, the less likely people will suspect you to be an agent. Geez I thought you knew.” Audrey said pointedly. Haneul stuck her tongue out at Audrey and just shook her head pretending to mumble under her breath when she really knew Audrey would hear everything, “Geez. This girl. At least don’t make it bright pink…” Audrey just simply laughed at Haneul.

 

Haneul then quickly put the wig on, pushing all her black hair underneath the wig, took off her striped cardigan and stuffed it into her shoulder bag and put on the fuchsia jacket. She then let Audrey put on some makeup. Audrey decided to use lip liner and eyeliner for today, and with just two pieces makeup equipment, Audrey managed to change Haneul just slightly, so then she looked like Haneul yet didn’t at the same time. Haneul looked at herself in the framed ornamental hand mirror Audrey handed her and just pursed her lips and frowned slightly at her reflect in the mirror. She never understood how such little make-up could make people look like a different person.

 

“Ah yes. We mustn’t forget.” Audrey said and then lifted up the same car seat as before and pulled out a box. She then took out what looked like packaged pieces of sticky tape which said ‘size 5’ on the outside packaging and handed it to Haneul who knew much better what this innocent junk-looking piece of stick tape did. Haneul took 10 pieces of sticky tape out of the packaging, 1 for each one of her fingers, then handed the packet back to Audrey who safely stowed it away again. She peeled the protective backing that said ‘thumb L’ on one off and stuck it on her left thumb, and continued to do so with the 9 other pieces of sticky tape for all her other fingers. Haneul was putting on fingerprint changing tape in case someone tried to collect her fingerprints from somewhere outside of the IAI base. “Fingerprint changing, complete.” Audrey said as Haneul stuck the last piece of tape on her right pinky. She then proceeded to look at her watch. “4 minutes and 7 seconds. Hm. Not bad, eh?” Audrey said while wiggling her eyebrows which caused Haneul to chuckle slightly at Audrey’s silliness.

 

The car soon arrived outside a luxurious looking apartment complex. “I guess this is goodbye… For like another year…” Audrey said as she pouted at Haneul. Haneul just chuckled and shook her head. “No, it’s okay. We can continue to communicate through messenger pigeons.”

 

Audrey just scoffed, “Messenger pigeons my arse. They’re not even real pigeons.”

 

“Real enough.”

“Not for me.” Audrey said as she pouted again, “Anyways, shouldn’t you be getting your arse into that fancy looking building right there? Man I’ve never seen an IAI base before. Are they all as fancy as this?”

 

“Not quite.” Haneul said while shaking her head, “The Fukuoka one definitely isn’t. In fact it looks quite the opposite.” Haneul said as she remembered the base she just visited, “Neither is the Bangkok one or the Pyongyang one or Manila one.” Haneul said, as she shivered at her own mentioning of the last one. Last time she went, their cleaner had recently been fired, so it was actually dirty, not fake dirty.

 

Audrey just smirked an then said to Haneul, “Shouldn’t my dongsaeng be getting her out of the car by now?” Haneul widened her eyes in surprise as she realised the big black Bentley with tinted windows probably looked suspicious just parking there for a while. She nodded her head and reached for the car door, but was stopped by Audrey who grabbed onto her arm for a moment. “Haneul…” She began to say in a wary voice as Haneul slowly turned around with bright eyes to smile at her, “Yeah?” Haneul asked in a bright voice.

 

Audrey faltered slightly then looked back up at Haneul again, “Be safe… yeah?” She asked seriously. Haneul just blinked a few times then laughed, “How dangerous could this possible be anyway?” She awkwardly laughed a few more laughs until she realised that Audrey was completely serious. “Unnie?” She asked warily, “Is something wrong?”

 

Audrey slowly and gently bit down on her bottom lip, “Molla.” She admitted, “Mollayo. I just have a gut feeling that this’ll be bad somehow... Not to discourage you or anything… I just have a terrible feeling that you may be hurt in some way…”

 

“A bad feeling?” Haneul asked with concern evident on her face, “What do you mean?”

 

“Just be careful with you ‘investigation’, okay?” She asked Haneul, waiting for a reassuring answer, “Be sure to utilise all of your training, don’t forget the basics. Never, ever, forget the basics. And be wary of people. Promise me, okay?” She asked with seriousness in her eyes.

 

Haneul looked at Audrey with a hint of fear in her eyes. It must’ve been Audrey’s sixth sense. All agents were the same. Their sixth senses were more alert than most people’s. Haneul gulped and swallowed the small lump that had formed in . “Of course, unnie…” She trailed off as she opened the car door and stepped out with a cautious look back at Audrey. “I… I promise…”