Candy floss

Fancy Meeting You Here

 

 “Wah! I haven’t been to Big Bang World since it first opened when I was 13!” Eun Ae said excitedly as she ran into the theme park at full speed.

“Eun Ae, wait!” Hye Su ran after her and grabbed her by her collar and dragged her back to everyone else. “Calm down first!”

“Aww, but I wanted to get in there as quickly as possible!” Eun Ae pouted.

“Do you guys want to pay to get in, or do you want me to get you guys some specials?” Haneul asked as her phone materialised in her hands.

“What do you think?” Eli gave her a pointed expression.

“Okay, okay.” Haneul warily said and held up her hands in defence, “Was just asking!”

Haneul quickly dialled a number on her phone as she walked towards the ticket office with the rest of them in tow behind her. The number she was dialling picked up. “Ah! Youngbae oppa!” Haneul said happily.

“Yes? Is there anything you need?” He answered in a serious but hushed tone from the other end of the phone.

“I’m guessing you’re in a meeting by your tone?” Haneul asked.

“Yes, yes I am in a meeting right now. What do you need? Is it urgent?”

“Well I was just wondering if I could have free entrance for me and 12 other friends to Big Bang World.”

“12?!” Youngbae suddenly exclaimed loudly.

Haneul raised an eyebrow. “I thought you were in a meeting?”

She heard him apologising from the other end of the phone, “That’s it, Jang Haneul. You made me shout during a meeting and I had to excuse myself and leave the room. Next time I see you, you’re dead.” He joked in a very serious voice.

“Whoops, sorry oppa!” Haneul laughed, “But yes, back to the topic, I’d like free entrance for me and 12 other friends to Big Bang World. What? Is 13 too many people?”

“No, it’s not. Big Bang World is thriving in this age of bored people with a place they need to go to and especially with that new haunted house which was opened, more couples have appeared because boyfriends evidently want their girlfriends to cling to them.” Haneul suppressed a laughter at Soo Jin’s brother’s clichéd thoughts. “But the only thing I was wondering is, since when did you have 12 friends?”

Haneul scowled, “Why can’t I have 12 friends? Why does everyone suspect something’s wrong when I say I have 12 friends?”

“Oh, it’s nothing much. My dear yeoldongsaeng is a very, very lovable girl.” Haneul snorted but Youngbae continued, “But all I was wondering was since when did she have that many friends? Because she doesn’t get to meet people much, you see.”

“Oh I forgot to tell you the important news too.” Haneul facepalmed herself.

“And what is that important news that has any relation to you having 12 friends? Did you decide to enrol in a university or something?”

“No.” Haneul flatly replied, “You know I already have degrees.”

“Then what?”

“I’ll tell you another time. It’s a long story. For now though, can we have free entrance or are we going to have to pay?”

“Free entrance for my dear dongsaeng, of course.” Youngbae said in a singsongy voice.

“Alright then. Tell your workers to let me in or something.” Haneul said as she was in front of the counter, confusing a female worker greatly.

“Excuse me miss, how many tickets would you like to purchase?” The female worker politely asked of Haneul with confused eyes.

“None. I’d like to go in for free.” Haneul replied and then turned her attention back to the phone, “Quickly. Send an email or something down to the ticket office to tell them to let me in for free.”

“Well, well, well. Today’s your lucky day. I’m actually here at Big Bang World holding a meeting about what other feature we should add in next, so I’ll come down and personally greet you.” Youngbae said and Haneul could hear the grin on his face through the face. No sooner had he finished saying that sentence, Haneul saw his distinct smiling face with his distinct Mohawk hairstyle.

“Oppa!” Haneul waved at him happily.

“Hello, Miss Kim Hyomin.” Youngbae read off her name tag and smiled at her which caused her to blink rapidly at how stunning he was. She also knew how privileged she was to meet the second in command of the entire BB corporation.

“E-er…” She stuttered, “Hello Mr Dong Youngbae.” She said and got up off her seat to bow 90 degrees to him, “How is your day?”

“My day’s been fine so far. How about you let this group of 13 people right here through for free? They’re acquaintances of mine.” He lied through his teeth even though he was only acquainted with one of the people. And that person was his cousin.

“Oh! Of course! There was no need for you to personally come down here and ask me though.” The girl bowed and again and quickly got 13 wristband tickets for them. “Here! 13 unlimited ride wristband tickets! Please enjoy your day at Big Bang World.” She politely ended off and bowed at them.

Haneul walked in through the gates and turned around on her heels suddenly, surprising everyone. “Everyone go off and have fun. I’ll come join you guys later. I’m going to go see my cousin.” Haneul waved at them all and ran off in the direction of the administrative buildings.

“Oppa!” Haneul said excitedly and ran up to him and hugged him. He softened at her and hugged her back. She then quickly let go, “It’s been a while!”

“It’s only been a month.” He chuckled and poked her nose, “Sometimes we go for a whole lot longer without seeing each other. Remember 6 years ago that year when we didn’t see each other at all? Man, I missed you so much that year!”

“Me too!” Haneul happily said.

Youngbae narrowed his eyes at her, “Did you meet Hyunseung recently?” He asked suspiciously.

“Yes. Why?”

“Because you’re suddenly a lot more touchy feely.” He noted and nodded his head.

“Mwo?” Haneul asked, confused.

“You see, I’ve noticed that normally you’re quite reserved except whenever after you see Hyunseung you’re a lot more touchy feely with me.” He laughed, “Normally you act so polite and everything but because of that hyperactive Hyunseung, you turn into a strange one as well.”

“Yah! Neither of us is strange! Okay, so maybe Hyunseung is strange, very strange, but I’m not!”

“Sure you aren’t.” He patted Haneul on the head and laughed.

“Psh.” Haneul stuck her tongue out at him childishly then laughed as well, “Oppa don’t you have a meeting to get back to?” She asked.

“No, it’s okay. It’s already ended. We’ve already come up with a list of potential future features to add.”

“Can I see it?” Haneul asked with her head cocked to one side, “Actually, can I keep a copy of that list and ask for my friends’ opinions?”

“Oh yes, that reminds me about the important question. What’s this important thing you said? And what does it have to do with U-Kiss?”

“You know them?” Haneul asked, dumbfounded.

“Well, of course.” He chuckled, “Even if I don’t keep up with the K-Pop world that much, I do know quite a few idols. I work in a job that could occasionally use the help of some idols to help promote, you know.”

“I know, I know.” Haneul nodded her head.

“So you going to tell me?” He asked with an eyebrow raised.

“It’s a long story.” Haneul bluntly stated.

“Well, I have time. My next meeting’s not till another 6 hours.” He said and led Haneul into a office room.

--------------

“So tell me again, why exactly does it have to be an idol?” He said with her arms crossed and an eyebrow raised.

“Just because!”

“Why not a cordi noona or something?”

“Because…” Haneul paused and gave him a meaningful look, “I’m sure you know why.”

Youngbae sighed. “Haneul, I’m not sure if you know this, but the life of an idol is very hard.”

“Can’t be as hard as the life of an IAI agent.” Haneul laughed bitterly.

“It’s hard in different ways.” He said and massaged his temples with his eyes closed as he continued to talk, “You have to deal with pressure from everyone around you who is watching you. And you’re not necessarily going to be extremely successful and this isn’t the best way to prove yourself to uncle if he’s even going to be watching all this.” Youngbae carelessly slipped out then realised his mistake when he heard the sharp intake of breath from Haneul. “Oh, I’m sorry.” He apologised.

“No, it’s fine.” Haneul waved it off and pursed her lips, “And what are you talking about? It doesn’t matter whether I’m that successful or not, after all you know that the more successful I am the harder it is to leave unnoticed again.”

“Yeah, I know that.” He nodded.

“And plus, I’ve already got two extremely useful people to help make myself successful.” Haneul smiled at him meaningfully.

“You don’t happen to mean me and our other idiot cousin, do you?” He gave Haneul a look.

“Precisely what I meant.” Haneul said and laughed as she whacked his arm.

“Ouch!” He said and frowned, “Please don’t forget that you’re a little stronger than most people who carelessly whack others’ arms.”

Haneul rolled her eyes, “Weak.”

“What did you say?” He challengingly glared at Haneul.

“Nothing~” Haneul sweetly sang out sarcastically.

“Do you know the amount of girls that dig my muscles?” He said in a heated voice, “And then-”

“Oh boy here we go again.” Haneul rolled her eyes, “Yes, yes. They dig your muscles and think that you’re just perfect. You know, because you tick all the boxes. Smart, rich, good looking, toned, what else could a girl want? Other than a taller guy, of course.” Haneul winked at him as she slipped his greatest complex in.

“Yah!” He shouted at her.

“Hehe.” Haneul chuckled and stuck her tongue out at him again which caused him to just glare at her.

“Anyway, I think I should get going.” Haneul said as she stood up from the plush sofa and brushed off her jeans, “The others might be wondering what’s taking me so long.”

“Fine then.” He shook his head at her, “You haven’t seen your cousin in over a month and you choose them over me? I see how it is.”

“Oppa!” Haneul said and poked his forehead, this time remembering to do so lightly.

“Is there someone you’re just itching to go back to there?” He wiggled his eyebrows at her which earned him a proper smack on the arm from her.

“You’re just being silly now oppa.” Haneul pouted at him and then her face softened again, “But it was nice to see you. Bye oppa. Until next time.” She sang out and pressed her lips to his forehead then headed out the door with a wave.

-----------

“Why is Sunghyun the only one who texted back.” Haneul wondered to herself as she headed towards the confectionary section of the food court. “What exactly are all the others doing?”

“Haneul!” Haneul heard a familiar singsong voice call out and she looked up to see Kevin with sunglasses on waving at her.

“Sunghyun!” Haneul waved and walked towards where he was while adjusting her messenger bag strap.

“Are you done talking with your cousin yet?” Kevin asked her in English.

Haneul nodded at his question and then turned her attention towards the stall Kevin was in front of. She raised an eyebrow. “Candy floss?”

“What? It’s good stuff.” Kevin said as the line moved forwards an inch. Haneul and Kevin both moved in pace with the line.

“Seriously? But it’s all sugar, literally. There is no nutritional health benefits to it at all.”

“Oh, you and your health things.” Kevin said and laughed, “Relax a little. Have you ever had candy floss before?”

Haneul shook her head and then thought again. “Okay, just once.”

“And how was it?”

“Terrible.” Haneul stuck her tongue out.

Kevin gave her a pointed look. “And how was it terrible?”

“It was so ridiculously sweet and had zero health benefits. I felt myself slowly dying just from eating it.” She frowned at the memory of when she was 8 and Sungyeol and Woohyun were both stuffing candy floss in . “Bad times, bad times.” She shivered.

“Oh gosh. How can you not like candy floss?” Kevin laughed, “You are such a strange girl, you know that? What kind of girl doesn’t like ridiculously sweet things that are terrible for her but that point aside, are still a necessity at any fair, carnival or theme park?”

“This kind of girl.” Haneul pointed to herself.

Kevin gave Haneul a pointed look.

“What?” Haneul frowned.

“Oh, nothing. Just thinking that you’re definitely not normal.” Kevin said as he stepped up to the front of the line and asked for 2 candy floss sticks.

“Why two?” Haneul raised an eyebrow as they walked away from the stall, side by side, “Who are you buying the second one for? Who else in the world is silly enough to eat such a useless piece of junk?”

“You wanna know who?”Kevin said with a mischievous look in his eye as he sat down at a bench and Haneul followed suit.

“Who?” Haneul asked, completely innocent and unsuspecting.

“Come closer.” Kevin said as he smoothly slid towards Haneul. Haneul moved her face closer with a puzzled expression on her face, wondering why something like this had to be such a secret.

Kevin leaned in to her ear and smiled as he whispered the words, “You.” Then very quickly, he grabbed Haneul’s jaw, forced it open and stuck a bit of the candy floss in. Haneul’s eye widened as she didn’t react in time.

“Ew!” Haneul said and moved backwards. “Ew!” She repeated again.

Kevin laughed to himself and then handed the stick to her. “You’ve already eaten off this so don’t make me eat from it now.”

“But!” Haneul began protesting.

“Haneul, we don’t want to waste food now, do we?” Kevin said and waggled his finger at Haneul. Haneul pouted at him. “Pouting and acting cute’s going to get you nowhere. So if we don’t want to waste food, what are we doing to do with that candy floss?” Kevin asked and raised his eyebrows.

Haneul wrinkled her nose up and then stuffed the sickeningly sweet pink thing into . After taking one bite out of it, she grimaced. “It’s so gross.”

“There we go, such a good girl.” Kevin pat her head like she was 5 or 6.

“Gosh, I’m not a child.” Haneul wrinkled her nose up and stuck her tongue out at Kevin, “Don’t talk to me like I’m a kid.” She huffed to herself and turned away from Kevin to eat it.

“There, there. When was the last time you ate it anyway?” Kevin chuckled at Haneul’s cute behaviour and then smiled softly as he looked at her face.

“The last time I ate it was a long, long time ago.” Haneul shook her head at the memory, “I never thought I’d have to eat this disgustingly sweet stuff again.”

“Oh, come on, Haneul. It’s not that bad, is it?” Kevin said.

Haneul stared at the pink ball of fluff judgingly then pouted at it. “Do you really want me to answer that question?”

“Yes.”

“Well…” She started, “It’s not as bad as I thought it’d be.”

‘I wonder why it is that it’s better than I remember it to be.’ Haneul thought to herself.

------------

A/N

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH. I WONDER WHY, HANEUL? ;);)

By the way, sorry I haven't updated in like a week... I've been busy. School just started and I had this whole heap of Chinese homework due today because I was lazy during the holidays and spent too much time writing for this fanfic ^.^""

By the way, updates will most likely be slow now because school started. :(