Me too

Fancy Meeting You Here

 

“Excuse me?” Haneul retorted back at the rude comment the tall girl with the sharp eyes threw her, “Could you repeat that again?”

“Oh? Young  and deaf and retarded, are we?” She said and smirked at Haneul, “Right. Since I am soooo nice, I will repeat it or you. No. Way. In. ing. Hell.” She said slowly, word by word to Haneul as if Haneul were stupid.

“I’m not ing retarded or stupid, for your information. You’d better watch how you talk to me.” Haneul fired back in an offended voice. Hwayoung opened her eyes wide because she’d never heard Haneul cuss at anyone like that before.

“Don’t talk to your elder that way, high school student.” She said and smirked at Haneul, who laughed loudly at her which confused her.

“Ah… Neh… Mianheyo, unnie…” Haneul said mockingly, “But this dongsaeng here isn’t a high school student. She’s a 93 liner.”

“So first year university?” She snorted, “I’m 3rd year university, youngin’. Don’t mess with me.”

“I don’t even attend university.” Haneul rolled her eyes at both the girl’s rude attitude and prejudice to all people the same age.

“That’s nothing to be proud of, unqualified stupid girl. Did you not pass the university examinations and dropped out of school and decided to become an idol instead? Is that what this is?” She said in a condescending tone as she walked towards Haneul, and when she was standing right in front of Haneul she smirked down at Haneul.

“What’s your ing problem?” Haneul answered as she glared angrily, “Don’t assume just because I don’t attend university now it means I’m a ing moron who can’t pass university examinations. What university do you attend that makes you think you’re so high and mighty anyways?” She scoffed.

“Seoul-dae.” She smirked at Haneul, “Or maybe a stupid kid like you isn’t even good enough to know how good Seoul-dae is.”

“I do know for ing sakes. I’m Korean.”

“Oh really? Not a stupid delinquent who knows nothing?”

“Watch what you’re saying, girl who goes to Seoul-dae.” The girl smirked satisfyingly thinking that Haneul had given up by acknowledging the fact she went to the top university in Korea, “I went to ing Columbia and Harvard for you information.”

The President’s eyes widened and he finally decided to break up the tense atmosphere between the two of them, “What? You went to Ivy League Universities?”

“Yes.” Hwayoung replied for Haneul. Haneul rolled her eyes and Hwayoung just laughed, “Did I ever mention the fact that Haneul has an IQ of 173 and that she did grow up in America for part of her life? She was actually born there! So of course this will help her communicate with future international fans in English!” Hwayoung said cheerily. Haneul gave her a weird look wondering why she knew that much about her life. The president just clapped and looked extremely happy he had managed to find such a talented person who had come to him asking for a place in the industry. He was only too happy to allow this talented girl in.

“Liar.” The girl said and rolled her eyes, “You’re only 18, how is it possible you’ve attended both Columbia and Harvard in the United States? I bet your English isn’t even fluent. Show me proof that you’ve attended both.”

“Well…” Haneul started, “It’s a bit hard for me to find you proof that I’ve attended Columbia…”

“Ha!” The girl cut in, but Haneul just continued.

“But I do have my certificate in Medicine and Business for Harvard. I can bring that to show you one day if you like?”

“Why not tomorrow?” She challenged.

“Because it’s currently at my cousin’s country manor in the English countryside.” She said and sighed, “I can get him to ask a servant to send it over tonight, if you really insist on seeing it. Since he’s not currently in England, but in Japan.”

The girl seemed unsatisfied, “Oh. So now you, Haneul or whatever your name was, you’re a rich girl too?”

“No.” Haneul immediately replied, “My cousin is a rich boy though, if that helps in any way. Anyway, how the heck did we end up on this subject. Why don’t you shut up about your opinions of me and tell me your name first?”

“You’re not even worthy of my n-”

“Soo Jin! Just shut up and be nicer to people, please!” Eun Ae suddenly spoke up whining, “Hi! I’m Kim Eun Ae,” Eun Ae suddenly turned to Haneul with her hand out, “I’m the maknae out of us three, but with you joining us, I think you’ll become the maknae.” She said cheerily, “What’s your last name, Haneul-ah?”

“Jang.” Haneul replied.

“Ah! Jang as in Jang Hyunseung, Jang?”

“Exactly that.” Haneul laughed, “In fact the very Hyunseung you’re mentioning is the one from Beast, am I correct?”

“Yeah…” Eun Ae said and blushed, “That one.”

“That one from Beast is my cousin.” Haneul laughed at the thought of this innocent looking girl liking her stupid 4D and dorky cousin, “Why do you even like him? He’s such a dork!”

“No way! He’s so cool an-… Hang on! I don’t like him! Don’t misunderstand anything!” Eun Ae cutely blushed and attempted to clear the ‘misunderstanding’.

“It’s alright. Your secrets safe with me.” Haneul winked at Eun Ae, “Want his number?” she asked and chuckled at the amusing immediate reaction she earned out of Eun Ae.

“Yes! Well… Yeah… I suppose… That would be cool… Yeah…”

Hwayoung noticed Hye Su the girl who had been silent all this time look extremely uncomfortable that Eun Ae was getting along so well. She then noticed that the Soo Jin girl seemed extremely annoyed at the interactions Eun Ae and Haneul were having. Hwayoung remembered what the president said while they were walking there. “The three girls aren’t really accepting of ‘newcomers’, although one of them is alright. And that would be Eun Ae, the current maknae, though after we add you two girls, Haneul here will be the maknae. Eun Ae, she’s already with newcomers as long as you manage to impress her. Impress her, and you’ll have her on your side. Well, at least she’s one that’s relatively easier to impress. Impressing the other two is a tough job. After you do manage to impress them though, they’ll treat you guys better. Not necessarily, ‘on your side’ like Eun Ae, but they’ll still hold that certain level of respect for you. They’re just such stubborn girls, after all.” Hwayoung decided to break up the awkward atmosphere that had settled in after Eun Ae and Haneul quietened down.

“Ahem.” She coughed, “So what are we going to do now, President Kim?”  She turned to him and asked loudly so everyone would hear.

“Ah. Well.” He tried to wipe off the smile that had formed on his lips from watching all these young adolescents interact with each other. It reminded him of his adolescence too. “I think I should take a look at you girls’ skills. I forgot to ask you girls earlier, but can you play any instruments?”

“Haneul can play the piano, the violin, the cello and the oboe. And as for me, I can only play the piano and the flute.” Hwayoung said before Haneul could reply, and once again Haneul wondered how Hwayoung knew so much about her. Haneul simply nodded.

“Ah. That’s good. Now, I’m going to play on this piano for you. Haneul I want to hear your 4 and a half octaves. Let’s not try 5 and strain your voice, okay?” Haneul nodded. “Haneul, what’s the lowest note you can reach?”

“C2.” Haneul replied.

“Alright. Would you like time to warm up your vocal chords or are you fine?”

“I’m fine.” Haneul said, and immediately after she said she was fine she heard a C2 being played on the piano. She immediately followed after it with a note of her own, hitting the perfect note instantly.

“Now what’s the highest you can reach?”

“Right now it’s probably an F6.” Haneul replied, and once again immediately after she replied she heard the note being play on the piano. Her being able to hit such a high note without warming up her vocal chords beforehand amazed all the people in the room, including Soo Jin whose impression of Haneul improved slightly from being ‘a cocky disrespectful girl’ to ‘a cocky and disrespectful yet somewhat talented girl.

“Right. That’s good enough for now. I just had to prove you weren’t lying to me. Now, your turn Hwayoung. Show us a bit of your dancing.” Hwayoung nodded obediently. “So will it be contemporary or ballet that you will be showing us today?” He asked.

“Contemporary. Because Haneul hasn’t seen my contemporary yet.” She smiled, “But what song will I dance to?”

“Don’t care. Your choice.” The president said as he walked towards a chair, sat down in it and relaxed.

Hwayoung nodded, pulled out her iPhone, put it in an iPod dock system that was in the room and chose a song. She then placed herself in the middle of the room and Haneul recognised the beginning of the song from the very first word. It was Missy Higgins’ ‘Where I stood’. She watched Hwayoung powerfully, yet gently dance. Gracefully, yet rough at times. At the 1 minute mark when it came to the chorus, Haneul found herself joining in.

“’Cos I don’t know who I am, who I am, without you
All I know is that I should
And I don’t know if I could stand another hand upon you
All I know is that I should
‘Cos she will love you more than I could
She who dares to stand where I stood…”

Haneul then sang the rest of the song loudly, more powerfully than the measly recording of Missy Higgins’ voice coming from the iPod dock system, while Hwayoung choreographed a dance up on the spot. Time seemed to just freeze as Haneul and Hwayoung performed their little duo. Everyone just froze to listen to Haneul’s beautiful voice which seemed to hold similarities with Missy herself’s voice and watch Hwayoung’s amazing fluid moves. The end of the song started to near and Haneul’s loud voice started to drop in volume and she gently closed her eyes and softly and slowly sang along with Missy Higgins.

“’Cos I don’t know who I am, who I am without you
All I know is that I should
And I don't know if I could stand another hand upon you”
All I know is that I should”

Haneul slowly sang with her eyes shut, not even watching Hwayoung dance anymore, being too caught up in the song.

“’Cos she will love you more than I could…
She who dares to stand where I stood
Oh… She who dares to stand where I stood…”

The last note of the song resounded through the practise room as Hwayoung flipped over and did the same splits she showed Haneul just a day back. When the note finished, everyone in the room suddenly heard clapping from the door. They all turned to the door, including Haneul who simply opened her eyes and stared right ahead, to see seven handsome boys standing (actually, three sitting on the floor) in the doorway applauding loudly. Haneul quickly shut off her musical side and switched back into agent Haneul and stared at all their faces. She recognisedthe three sitting on the floor as the three younger members of U-Kiss; Dongho, Sunghyun and Hoonmin.

“That was amazing noona!” Dongho said while jumping up and running over to Haneul. When he reached her, he threw her arms around her and stunned her with his friendliness. She was wondering why he was acting so friendly to her when she was so cold to him earlier on in the president’s office. “Wah! Noona’s singing so amazing!” He exclaimed excitedly and hugged her tightly again, almost suffocating her.

“Yah!” She yelled at him, “Get off me!” She said as she pushed herself away from him. “You were choking me.” She said with a slight pout. “I did not get away from stupid Nam Woohyun just to get half suffocated by someone else.” She muttered as she scrunched up her nose in a way in which Dongho found adorable, “Goodness…”

“Noona! You’re so talented!” He yelled at her as if she wouldn’t be able to hear if he spoke any softer (completely false) and as if she weren’t standing (sitting) just one metre away from him. “Noona! You’re so good at singing! Why didn’t you tell us before when we met you in the office! And why was your conversation with Papa so private!? Wae, wae, wae!” He continued shouting loudly at her, causing everyone in the room to laugh except one.

“Geez!” She shouted back at him just as loud while watching Sunghyun out of the corner of her eye wondering why he was the only one not laughing and instead just staring strangely at her, “I can hear you, you know! I’m only one metre away from you, Shin Dongho! Noona’s only a year older! Noona’s not that much older that she has hearing problems!” Everyone in the room, except of course that same one person, continued laughing at their exchange. “And it’s private because it’s private!”

“Let me guess what you guys were talking about then!” He yelled back, even more loudly than before if that was possible, “Papa is going to debut you with Eun Ae, Hye Su and Soo Jin noonas! And he’s going to debut this noona over here too.” He yelled excitedly as he pointed at Hwayoung, “Noona!” He yelled at Hwayoung, “What are your names actually, noonas? Dongho doesn’t know your names yet!”

“Geez! I just said stop yelling!” Haneul said grumpily, not bothering to yell with him anymore, “And this noona’s name is Jang Haneul,” She said while pointing to herself, then went on to point at Hwayoung, “And that noona’s name is Lee Hwayoung. Now listen to your noona and stop yelling.” She said strictly.

“Hehe. Fine.” He said and pouted cutely at Haneul who didn’t understand why he was pouting so much and puffing his cheeks out, for she was not used to boys who acted like this. Except Woohyun. He was an absolute exception and she called his flirty ways ‘Namgrease’. But Haneul knew he wasn’t a normal boy anyways, so she didn’t expect this boy called Shin Dongho to be acting like this.

“Good. You’ve stopped shouting.” Haneul said to him, suddenly switching to Chinese to test out if Hwayoung’s data collecting was right. He blinked a few times in confusion.

“Jiejie can speak Chinese?” He said, too switching to Chinese. Haneul and Dongho then had a conversation in Chinese about Beijing and Haneul watched from the corner of her eyes at the people watching. She could tell the boy who looked like a pigeon called ‘Kim Kyoung Jae’ could understand from his facial expressions, but that was expected. It was in Hwayoung’s data after all. The president , Hye Su and Hwayoung too could understand only a little, but there was someone Haneul didn’t expect to understand them talking. That boy called ‘Woo Sunghyun’ who had been staring at her weirdly seemed to be able to understand. Quite well, in fact.

“Strange.” Haneul thought to herself, “It wasn’t part of the data that he could understand Chinese… I’ll ask Hwayoung about this later.” She smiled at Dongho brightly, causing him to stare at her beautiful smile, “Haha. Dongho-ah, let’s switch back to Korean.” She said in Korean again, “I think some people around us are thinking we’re strange talking in Chinese. Except for, of course, the ones that can understand what we’re saying.” Haneul said, pointedly looking at Sunghyun from the corner of her eyes while smiling at Dongho.

“Ah, neh!” Dongho said, smiling brightly and happily at Haneul. Then he suddenly seemed to think of something and pulled out his phone. “Noona! Since we’ll probably be working together from now on under this company together, give me your number!” Haneul stared at him a few times then her brain started to panic and wonder which number she should give him. She looked over at Hwayoung who seemed to sense her panic. Hwayoung just signaled to her to give him any number with her facial expressions.

“Ah, okay. Give me your number too, okay Dongho?” She said with a soft smile upon her face. Upon her giving him her number (which was her phone number 3; her personal phone's phone number), Dongho grew ecstatic.

“Yes! I have a pretty noona’s number on my phone now!” He said excitedly, causing everyone except Woo Sunghyun, once again, to laugh. He just began to stood up and he walked over to them causing the room to silence itself again.

He pulled out his iPhone and held it lightly between his right thumb and index finger in Haneul’s direction. The room was quiet except for his voice saying the two words, “Me too.”