~Search 9

Where I Found You

+++

Selina lay on her bed silently. It was dark outside and they’d eaten dinner outside at some restaurant so once they got home they just went to bed. Selina couldn’t help, but think back to when Chun was tucking the blanket around her. Her heart started beating faster as she recalled staring into his eyes. For a moment when that had happened she thought she was just dreaming until she could feel his warm breath against her face. Then she thought Deshi would be sleeping by then and would Chun have gone to work? Or did he stay with Deshi? Without knowing Selina had drifted off into sleep.

+++

Chun chose the most decent of his clothes for that next day not even thinking why he’d done it. He dressed Deshi in a t-shirt and pants and put a hat over his head then carried him off. Chun had gotten up earlier than usual and arrived at the Day Care early surprising Genie. However, to his disappointment Selina had not yet arrived on the spot. Ten long minutes later Selina showed up looking fresh and good as usual. Chun could feel her eyes land on him for a second and she smiled walking over. Before greeting him she took Deshi from him and talked to Deshi first.

“How are you doing?” Selina asked playfully pulling at his small wrist.

Deshi smiled at her happily. Chun and Genie watched with calm smiles on their faces.

“I’ll see you later,” Chun told then placed a kiss on Deshi’s cheek then left.

Selina turned to watch him go and wondered if she should have said hi to him.

“You are really his mother,” Genie told.

“Huh?” Selina questioned.

“It’s ok. We all know,” Genie patted Selina’s shoulder and walked off.

+++

Calvin’s mom had been rambling on about how hard it will be to find the perfect wedding dress after the engagement so she’d decided that Calvin should take her out to try on some dresses. They would reserve the dress and purchase it shortly after the engagement though Calvin had wondered why not just buy it then, but knew better than to keep asking his mother questions.   

After arriving in the store and getting assistance Ella was brought into a large room. A number of dresses were offered to her, but none of them she liked. After looking through another dozen Ella decided to try on at least three of them.

When she’d slipped the last dress on she stared at herself in the mirror. She didn’t need to ask herself why she didn’t feel happy like she should be. When Chun and she had talked about marriage she’d been excited about wearing a wedding gown, but found out she was pregnant and it had to wait. She’d pictured herself like how she was now pretty and elegant and about to get married soon. Ella thought she’d never have to worry about Chun again, but that hope had quickly vanished as it had quickly appeared. It was bothering her. Should she make it up to him or just leave things the way they were?

“I like this one,” Calvin said as he came up to her.

“How’d you get in?” questioned Ella.

“The assistant said that you weren’t coming out so she let me come in,” Calvin answered. “Don’t think I was peeping at you.”

Ella smiled a little.

“You’re not feeling well again?” Calvin asked.

“Yea,” Ella replied. “Sorry.”

“It’s ok,” Calvin told. “In a few weeks we’ll be getting engaged.”

Ella stared at herself in the mirror as Calvin placed a kiss on her cheek. She felt cold. She didn’t deserve anything. Why? Why now did she suddenly feel like having Chun back?

+++

Jiro stopped his car outside of the Day Care. Finally after two days his grandma was finally let out of the hospital and now resting back at her apartment with her sister. Jiro stared into the mirror to make sure that none of his hair was out of place. Finally satisfied with how he looked he got out of the car and walked into the Day Care. As usual Genie was the first to greet him.

“Gone for two days again and you didn’t say anything to me,” Genie told.

“I am a busy man,” Jiro told with a smirk.

Genie felt energized again after seeing that.

“If you’re looking for Deshi he’s in the play room,” Genie told. “I’m busy so I’ll see you later.”

Jiro watched as she walked away and walked toward the play room making sure that he didn’t look too excited. Selina was sitting with Deshi inside adjusting his shirt while he chewed on a toy.

“Morning,” Jiro greeted.

Selina looked up surprised then smiled.

“Morning,” Selina greeted back. “Your grandma all better?”

“She’s back at home,” Jiro replied then invited himself in.

He felt lucky that he was the only one with her in the room except for Deshi.

“You didn’t forget did you?” Jiro asked.

Before coming he’d been eager about the date he had with Selina.

“Forget what?” Selina questioned.

Jiro laughed then commented, “I knew you’d forget.”

Selina looked around the room, “What did I forget?”

“We would have a date when I come back,” Jiro replied.

Selina searched in her mind for a while then let out a big, “Oh!”

Jiro laughed some more, “So do you have time tonight?”

She was going to cook for Chun that night.

“Well I…” Selina started.

“I would like to clear my mind a little,” Jiro told. “Is there something else you’re worried about?”

Selina observed his face for the first time. He had really good features and was undeniably good looking. She could see that he had visible bags under his eyes and concluded that he must be tired though his bags weren’t as bad as Chun’s.

“No there’s nothing.” Selina replied.

It was hard for her to refuse. When she thought about it she’d never refused any person’s request before in her life.

“Yes!” Jiro whispered to himself then turned back to Selina. “How about we got after your job ends? I can give you a ride to the restaurant.”

“Um…” Selina began again, “sure.”

They chatted a little bit about why Selina had come to Taipei instead of staying in Hong Kong and Selina had lost track of time.

+++

Chun hurried out of his office without saying bye to anyone and got in his car driving toward the Day Care. Thinking about the food Selina would cook later and watching her play with Deshi excited him a little. He forgot to see Jiro’s car parked outside and walked passed it. Inside he heard loud crying, but knew it didn’t belong to Deshi. As he walked around and toward the back room he could hear Selina’s voice. Walking toward the door he noticed Selina sitting inside with Jiro. Not paying attention to what he was doing Chun just stood by the doorway silently.

“Hey Chun!” Jiro greeted.

Selina turned around to see Chun standing by the doorway and quickly wondered if he thought she and Jiro were close. Selina got up quickly and picked Deshi up.

“I didn’t hear you come in,” Selina said.

“It’s ok. You two were busy talking,” Chun told.

Selina bit her bottom lip wondering if Chun was annoyed with her. Was it because she wasn’t actually watching Deshi? Or that she’d been chatting with Jiro?

“Lets go,” Chun told and turned around.

Jiro followed Selina and Chun outside. Selina felt stuck and wondered how she was supposed to tell Chun she had a date with Jiro. On the other hand how was she supposed to tell Jiro that she’d already promised Chun to go cook for him? She stood between the two of them silently with Deshi making his own noise.

“I’ll see you again tomorrow Jiro,” Chun said wanting to secretly get rid of him quickly.

Just as Chun had sensed that Jiro liked Selina Jiro could sense that Chun didn’t want him hanging around. However, Jiro wanted that date with Selina.

“Selina and I have a date tonight,” Jiro said quickly.

“You do?” Chun asked.

Selina looked up at him and apologized, “Sorry. I forgot all about it.”

“You should go have fun anyway,” Chun told taking Deshi from her. “Enjoy yourselves.”

Selina wondered why Chun sounded cheerful. Was he glad to get rid of her?

“Come on lets go,” Jiro told.

Selina watched as Chun put Deshi into his seat and buckled it to make sure it wouldn’t fall. Selina reluctantly turned around and got into Jiro’s car.

As Chun buckled himself and started the car he watched as Jiro’s car backed out of the lot and drove away. Another night of being alone again. Why hadn’t Selina told him about her date with Jiro? Was he expecting too much from her? Or was there some other reason behind all his wanting her around?

Selina turned back to look at Chun’s car. Was he really not going to go after her? Selina sighed.

“What do you like to eat?” Jiro questioned.

He knew well from looking at Chun that there was something he was hiding. They’d been friends for years and just looking at Chun once he could tell what was on his mind. However, it wasn’t time to bother about it. He just wanted to enjoy the date with Selina first and then go back to babysit Deshi.

+++

Ella went into her room and rummaged through her drawers where she kept all her junk. Way at the bottom inside a thick folder of files and medical bills Ella found a crinkled picture. The nurse was kind enough to offer to take a picture of her, the baby which she’d called Dewei, and Chun. It was the only picture she had taken with her. Other than that Chun had kept the rest of the baby pictures she’d taken. Tears flew out of her eyes streaming down her face. Emptiness and loneliness filled her. She’d be missing the important parts of Dewei’s life. At the same time questions were running through her head. How much burden was Chun facing? How much jobs had he taken on? Was he handling everything ok? Ella wondered if he’d hate her for trying to contact them again, but one thing she knew for sure Chun was a really soft hearted person. Could he even hate her?