~Search 14

Where I Found You

+++

Chun stood there stunned trying to recall Selina’s words. The second thing he’d noticed after seeing her stand there was that super large sweater on her. Was it Jiro’s? Did Jiro say anything to her? Did he hear exactly what he’d heard?

+++

Selina walked along the sidewalk feeling as if her mind was tripping over rocks. She felt bad for Jiro and wanted to thank him for his honesty, but what could she do? There were very few people like him that’d she’d run into. She felt lucky that she’d met him and felt that Chun should be lucky to have a friend like him. No wonder he could count on Jiro whenever he needed anything.

Selina’s walk back to the apartment was quite short.

+++

Hebe wanted to shout when the door opened but finding the look on Selina’s face tarnished her opportunity to do so. As Selina walked in Hebe glanced at the large sweater that she was wearing. What happened?

“Selina?” Hebe asked.

“I have such a big headache,” Selina told.

“Whose sweater is that?” Hebe asked pointing to Jiro’s sweater.

“It’s Jiro’s,” Selina replied.

Hebe nodded her head feeling she shouldn’t ask anymore.

“Go get some rest then,” Hebe told.

She watched as Selina headed toward her bedroom and closed the door.

“This is what happens when you mess with guys,” Hebe told herself.

+++

Selina lay down on the bed. Did Chun hate himself because of the way he feels? Or did he hate her for triggering those feelings? Did he have to go through all those troubles just to get her away from him?  

Selina spent the next day in with Ella and Hebe. They sat around enjoying themselves and ordered take outs for all three meals during the day. It was then they’d found out that Hebe had found a date for herself. A guy name Jay something. Ella announced that she and Calvin had reserved a wedding dress and were excited for the engagement that would be taking place in two weeks. All Selina could do was enjoy their excitement and be glad for them.

As she returned to the Day Care Selina wondered how it would feel like to look at Chun again. If he hated her so much couldn’t he have just said so? She almost dreaded the moment the door opened. Chun stood by the doorway frozen for a moment. Selina stared back at him and began to turn around when Deshi let out a loud cry of happiness. Selina paused and turned around as Chun walked over. Selina took Deshi from his arms without saying anything and walked away leaving Chun at a loss of what to say or do. Selina didn’t know what to say either. She’d confessed to him and after figuring out that he must dislike his feelings for her made her feel uncomfortable. How can you like a person who doesn’t like you?

Selina sat Deshi on the ground and stared at his fat cheeks.

“I wonder if your dad was as fat as you,” Selina said aloud.

Deshi looked up and reached over to grab her nose. Selina gave a shout and moved back.

“You’re so naughty!” Selina scolded.

+++

Chun sat at his desk. Instead of doing his work he stared out into space. Selina’s words were still ringing in his head yesterday and today. The whole Sunday he’d sat with Deshi silently. He had no idea Selina felt that way. He was at a lost of what to do. What could he do for her? What good was he? Selina would just be hurt if she wanted to be with him. Still he wanted to tell her that he didn’t mean to just get her with any random guy and expect them to get together. He thought Jiro was good enough, but eventually things hadn’t gone his way. Chun then questioned himself if he would feel better without Selina around…obviously he wouldn’t. Then what does that mean? Was he really attracted to her? Was he as willing as she was to get together? He couldn’t…he still felt afraid. Still he knew for sure that Selina was different from Ella.

+++

Selina sat staring off into space while Deshi, next to her, chewed on his fingers with drool slipping down his chin.

“Dirty little munchkin,” a voice said, “what has your mommy been doing?”

Selina turned to see Jiro picking up Deshi into his lap as he sat down and wiped the drool from his chin.

“Don’t say that please,” Selina told.

“You don’t look like you’re in a good mood,” Jiro commented.

Selina shrugged then thought for a minute. She glanced at Jiro who was busy at playing with Deshi. Why with only a few words that had come out of his mouth he had given her so much confidence? He’d made her believe she had fallen for Chun, but had she really? What if Chun didn’t want her? What would Jiro do? Why was it that since she met Jiro everything seemed twisted?  

“Lets go get some air,” Selina suggested.

“You want to bring Deshi along?” Jiro asked without asking why she wanted to go. “You can’t leave the poor boy here.”

Selina and Deshi stared at each other. It took a lot of effort to turn away from him.

“We can give him to Genie. I really need some fresh air,” Selina told. “Besides you treated me to dinner before I’ll treat you to lunch this time around.”

“Are you sure?” Jiro questioned.

“It’s all cool,” Selina told herself as she got up.

Selina found herself in a shabby, but comfortable restaurant with relaxing air and quiet conversations going around them. Selina poked at her food glad to get away from the Day Care. It had almost been time when Chun would come to pick up Deshi and she had felt she couldn’t face him.

Jiro glanced at Selina and noticed that her soup was getting cold.

“I see someone’s not too happy,” Jiro said.

Selina looked up from her food, her eyes landing on him.

“No I’m not,” Selina replied monotonously.

“Why?” Jiro asked.

“I think he only wanted me around so I could take care of Deshi,” Selina told. “I don’t think he would be interested in me enough to start another relationship. He probably hates me for harboring such feelings for him.”

Jiro stared at her for a moment then burst out laughing.

“That’s ridiculous,” Jiro exclaimed, “would you hate someone because he has feelings for you?”

“That’s not it!” Selina shouted and almost jumped over the table to smack Jiro. “Wouldn’t he be hurt? Knowing that I like him will just remind him of when his wife left him and Deshi.”

Jiro looked at Selina figuring she was serious about Chun. But why would liking him hurt him?

+++

Chun didn’t know whether he was looking forward to going to the day care or not. He knew for sure he wanted to see Deshi with Selina. However, when he entered the Day Care Deshi’s loud wails echoed from room to room. Following his cries he was finally able to locate Deshi in a room squirming on Genie’s lap helplessly.

“Oh my god! You’re here!” Genie exclaimed with a sigh of relief as she got up.

Chun took Deshi from her and started to wipe his arms then glanced around.

“Where’s Selina?” asked Chun.

“I don’t know. She went out with Jiro somewhere,” was all Genie said. “I have a headache now. That kid really has screaming powers.”

“Why would Selina go with Jiro?” Chun asked.

“I don’t know. I do know Jiro gives her the eye. For all I know they could be making out right now,” Genie said and frustratingly walked out of the room.

Chun watched her leave and couldn’t help, but feel flustered. Selina was with Jiro…why? Shouldn’t she be with Deshi? Shouldn’t she be the one handing Deshi to him about right now? Why would she go off with Jiro? Why, why, why?

+++

“And this is the room where snacks, drinks, and dinner will be held.” The hotel manager told. “Your son Calvin and his soon to be bride will cut their engagement cake right over there. We can dim the lights and brighten them whenever you want. The high stage will be placed at the back of the room.”

“And what about the workers who will be decorating the room?” questioned Mrs. Chen.

“Oh yes that too. They’ll be here two days before the engagement party to decorate. The next day they’ll also be here to make sure there won’t be any defects whatsoever,” the hotel manager explained.

“Mom!” Calvin said loudly as he walked in through the large opened door.

“I was still glancing at some candles. Sorry for the delay,” Ella apologized.

“Ella!” Mrs. Chen gleamed. “Do you think this room is big enough? It’s just dreamlike isn’t it?”

Ella glanced around at the dark maroon walls and the large gold chandelier hanging down the ceiling in the middle of the room. Other than that the room was empty with just the red carpet. In the next week she knew Calvin’s mother would make sure tables of food and refreshments would be around available to anyone. There would be expensive luxurious food and expensive wine that were only available in other countries. Chairs and tables would be set filling the room with a large empty dance floor during the evening. It was all perfect. Something she’d dreamt of before, but would she soon prefer just a small party? Like Chun had wanted?

“I can imagine everything,” Ella told with a smile.

“Mom you don’t have to make it this big do you?” Calvin asked. “If you think about it it’s sort of embarrassing in front of all your business friends.”

“You’re going to be my heir. What should be embarrassing about telling everyone about your marriage to the love of your life? Unless you’re embarrassed of Ella?” Mrs. Chen questioned.

“No, no! Why would I be embarrassed of her?” Calvin asked. “It’s a waste of money don’t you think?”

“Money should be used for these kinds of things,” Mrs. Chen went on. “Your father and I have already offered to pay every cent for this.”

“If you disagree with this room we have another available,” the hotel manager said calmly.

As they talked on Ella glanced around the room one more time. Had she been so greedy in the past? Had she not even noticed her selfishness? Asking Chun for such a big ceremony for the two of them so they could celebrate with everyone? Now that this was coming true and that she was standing here in the room she’d imagined how come she wasn’t satisfied? What was missing? What was it that was bothering her? Was it she wanted a real family? Did she want Chun to be the one she was enjoying everything with? Why now?

+++

Selina received a loud phone call from Hebe as she sat in the car with Jiro.

“Where are you?!” Hebe practically screamed. “I waited for you for an hour until Genie came out saying you’ve gone out with a guy name Jiro. Now tell me where you are so I can rescue you before he harasses you.”

“Calm down will you?” Selina asked as Jiro raised his eyebrow questioning her silently. “Go back first I’ll be back in ten minutes.”

“Instead of coming back in one piece why don’t you come back in two pieces?” Hebe questioned then hung up.

Selina clicked her phone shut, “My friend has a lot of humor don’t you think?”

“Sounds like it,” Jiro agreed.

As Selina turned to stare out the window Jiro glanced at her. He figured when he goes to baby sit Deshi he would talk with Chun.

+++

Hebe paced back and forth in front of the apartment door and when it finally opened she let out a shout. Ella jumped back in surprise.

“What? What?! Is there an intruder? Did someone try to break in?” Ella asked panicked.

Hebe made a face as she stepped back, “Turns out the intruder is you.”

Ella frowned and made her way in. After taking off her shoes she made her way into the kitchen and poured a glass of cold water then gulped it down quickly.

“Hebe I think I’m going crazy,” Ella told.

“Oh,” remarked Hebe.

“I don’t know. Calvin’s mother took me to see the hotel room we’ve reserved to do our engagement banquet, but I don’t feel so great about it,” Ella explained, “Hebe haven’t I always been dreaming of something like this happening? But now when I have it and it’s in the grasp of my hands I feel like I don’t want it?”