~Search 23

Where I Found You

Jiro rushed up the stairs and eagerly knocked on Selina’s door. No one answered and it didn’t sound like anyone was inside. Still worried and unsure Jiro ran back down to get the manager.

“Oh hi Jiro,” the apartment manager greeted.

“I need you to unlock the door of the apartment next to mine,” Jiro told.

“But that’s invading someone else’s privacy,” the manager explained.

“I don’t care. I’m worried about her,” Jiro told.

“I don’t know. I could get into trouble,” the manager was reluctant.

“Something could have happened to her. She didn’t go to work. Please I beg you. I’m really worried about her.” Jiro begged.

The manager looked at him with sympathy and finally agreed. He followed Jiro upstairs and unlocked the door.

“If anything serious happened call the police,” the manager told. “I’ll deal with the rest.”

“Thank you. Thank you so much,” Jiro thanked.

As the manager disappeared down the stairs Jiro walked into the room and without taking off his shoes ran to Selina’s bedroom. The door was unlocked and he found Selina still lying in bed. An empty cup sat on her night stand along with a small bottle which Jiro recognized what were sleeping pills that were inside. He bent over Selina who was sleeping on her side with her left arm sprawled across the blanket. She was still breathing. Jiro felt a rush of relief flood through him.

“Selina. Selina.” He called. “Wake up. Selina.”

Jiro shook Selina a few times, but she still hadn’t woken up. Was she going to wake up? Even if she was still breathing would she be able to wake up? Jiro suddenly felt scared.

“Selina! Wake up. Selina!” Jiro said panicked. “Selina! Please open your eyes. Selina please. Wake up. Don’t scare me like this. I wanted to tell you I’m sorry. Selina.”

Jiro kept on shaking her. A few minutes later Selina’s eyes fluttered open tiredly. Jiro felt her hands rest on his arms.

“What?” Selina asked her voice barely a whisper.

“Thank goodness!” Jiro shouted as he pulled Selina in for a hug.

Selina felt lost against Jiro’s chest. What had happened? Why was he there? Why did he seem so scared? Yet she felt comfortable against him and she felt her eyes close again.

The next thing Selina found herself sitting on the couch as Jiro ran into her kitchen to pour her a glass of warm water. He came back and handed it to her.

“Are you ok?” Selina asked looking at him.

“I wanted to ask you that,” Jiro told.

Selina smiled then laughed.

“You looked so scared,” Selina told.

“It’s not funny Selina. What if something happened to you? I was scared you’d never wake up,” Jiro said in a stern almost angry voice.

Selina’s smile dropped off her face.

“Alright I’m sorry,” Selina apologized.

Jiro sighed.

“If you don’t want me to tell Chun about this you have to stop taking the pills. It’s dangerous Selina,” Jiro told.

Selina’s eyes became solid as she stared at him.

“Ok.” Selina told. “I promise. I will try not to take them anymore. Is that good now?”

Jiro nodded with a smile, “You look hungry lets go eat something.”

Selina found herself sitting in the passenger’s seat in Jiro’s car.

“Where are we going?” Selina asked as they drove past some restaurants.

“We’re going somewhere where they have the best food,” Jiro replied then turned to look at her, “you just sit back and relax.”

Selina frowned, but smiled, and turned to look out the window. Twenty minutes later they arrived at a small restaurant. Selina unbuckled her seat belt and got out. She stood by the door and glanced at Jiro as he walked over to her.

“Here? I thought you were going to take me somewhere bigger,” Selina said.

“I’m saving money,” Jiro said with a smile. “Lets go in.”

“Wait,” Selina said.

As Jiro paused he felt suddenly surprised as Selina put her hand around his arm.

“Walk me in,” Selina said then turned to him. “I’m ready now.”

Jiro smiled at her and they headed for the front doors. A lady inside directed them to a table. As they made themselves comfortable another person came to ask them what to drink. After doing so Jiro turned to Selina.

“They have a really nice buffet here and really good healthy food too. Make yourself full or I won’t be paying for nothing,” Jiro told.

Selina gave a snort, “I won’t regret this.”

They took their time eating, talked, played around, and enjoyed themselves. After eating Jiro took Selina to a park for fresh air. They sat on the swings and raced each other to get to the highest. After swinging they played a game of tag and chased each other around on the playground. Selina screamed as Jiro tagged her and she chased him around the slides. When they finally stopped Selina laughed non stop. Jiro felt good seeing her happy. For once maybe she was finally able to forget everything else and lay them off her mind. Then he wondered if she knew he still liked her.

They walked around the streets and bought snacks from a store eating them while they walked. Then Jiro finally recalled about Selina’s manager.

“I forgot. Your manager called me today. He was really worried about you,” Jiro told.

“I can’t believe I forgot about work!” Selina yelped.

“He wasn’t angry,” Jiro assured.

“I feel so bad,” Selina told.

Jiro laughed, “Well his store is over there. Want to go see him?”

“Yea,” Selina said.

As two ladies walked out Selina and Jiro walked through the doors.

“Selina!” the manager sounded glad.

Selina immediately apologized for missing work, but her manager dismissed that.

“I’ve been working you too much so maybe I’ve made you too tired,” the manager told then glanced at Jiro, “you’re lucky to have your boyfriend around. He seems like a really nice guy.”

Selina turned to look at Jiro who seemed to be observing some refrigerated food. Selina turned back to her manager and smiled.

“I guess I am lucky,” Selina replied.

After they walked out Jiro and Selina headed back to his car. They headed back chatting happily. Selina and Jiro later walked up the stairs full of energy.

“Well I’ll bid you goodnight here,” Jiro told as they stood in front of Selina’s door.

“Alright,” Selina told. “I would’ve been bored without you.”

Before Jiro turned around Selina got on her tip toes and gave Jiro a hug. Again Jiro felt surprised. As Selina began to move back Jiro quickly put his arms around her waist stopping her. Selina felt surprised, but didn’t show it. Their cheeks brushed and for a moment Jiro wasn’t sure what he was doing. Their lips almost touched when Jiro heard people whispering.

“They’re going to kiss.”

“I never knew Jiro had a girlfriend.”

Jiro quickly let go of Selina and glanced at the girls. They quickly turned and walked away. He could feel his heart beating fast. Selina looked at him with a blank expression he couldn’t read. Was she thinking strangely of him now?

“Do you want to come in? We can sit on the balcony for some air,” Selina suggested hoping that would clear the awkward atmosphere between the two of them at the moment.

+++

Should she go see Chun? Maybe Selina wouldn’t be back for a long time…and maybe then it would be too late. Ella tossed and turned. She had thought that going to sleep early would help make her feel better, but it hadn’t helped with anything. Was Selina deeply in pain? Who was with her? Was Chun missing her? How were they doing? Ella sighed and threw over her covers. She paced back and forth in her room for the next ten minutes.

“You can’t sleep too?” Hebe asked opening Ella’s door.

During the past few nights they’d been feeling insecure with just the two of them. With Selina gone it felt like there was a huge hole in their lives. Once Ella had thought she heard Selina come back into her room and she had come running out of her room to wake Hebe up for nothing. They had left their doors unlocked so they could stay with each other whenever they felt like it just to be comfortable.

“I need to apologize,” Ella told turning around.

“What are you talking about?” Hebe questioned walking over.

“I can’t ignore it anymore and waiting won’t help,” Ella explained herself, “I want to apologize for leaving first. Only after talking to Chun will I feel better. I didn’t do it so he would take me back. I really didn’t.”

“Oh Ella…you didn’t understand the world yet…who knew what you were thinking,” Hebe tried to comfort her.

“Maybe Selina won’t come back to us but she’ll go back to Chun,” Ella said. “Even if it’s like that I can still accept it.”

After they had taken a two day old pie out of the fridge Ella and Hebe ate it together at the kitchen table. Even if it was two o’ clock at night having something sweet made them feel a little better. Cars were still passing by on the streets and people were still awake.

Hebe stole a glance at Ella who seemed obsessed with her piece of pie. Was Ella right? Would she really feel better after talking with Chun? What if things got worse? Hebe tossed away the thought. Only after Ella had done what she wanted would Hebe know the results and only then if something really bad happened Hebe would take action and do whatever. If Ella was confident Hebe would try to believe in her. On the other hand if things went well Selina might return and move back in with them. Hebe was sure Selina hadn’t gone out of the country. She wouldn’t leave everything behind like that. She really hoped things would get better after Ella met up with Chun…and only if he would listen to Ella.

+++

It had been five minutes. Silence was the only thing that was taking place between the two of them. Selina sat on the chair staring out into the streets of Taipei. Jiro leaned against the thick black spiral railing staring up into the night sky. Selina had felt her breath run short out of surprise with what Jiro had done earlier, but she didn’t feel exactly the same if it had been Chun. Jiro was such a good friend but she couldn’t deny that she was attracted to him too. Selina turned to glance at his broad back. What was he thinking now?

“A penny for your thoughts?” Selina asked finally deciding to break the silence.

Jiro twisted himself around taking one of his arms off the railing.

“My thoughts?” Jiro repeated.

“What are you so immensely thinking about? Wait let me go get my penny jar first,” Selina joked.

Jiro chuckled, “I’m just thinking of ways to clear my head.”

“Why would you want to clear your head?” Selina questioned.

Jiro wondered if Selina knew. If she knew that he still liked her. What would she think of that? Would it be hard for her to accept because of Chun? What would she plan to do? She couldn’t hide forever.

“How long do you plan to stay like this for?” Jiro asked.

“However long I want,” Selina replied. “Do you feel troubled with my presence? Or do you think that others will start gossiping?”

“Why would I be worried about that?” asked Jiro.

Selina got up from her chair and walked over to Jiro.

“I’m surprised Jiro. I didn’t know you were a womanizer,” Selina joked standing next to him. “Practically all the women here have a crush on you.”

Jiro laughed, “It’s because of the money I have that’s why they’re so in love with me. You have to say I’m not that bad right?”

“So conceited,” Selina mumbled.

Selina sneaked a glance at Jiro. Was it because she’d been away for too long? Or was it because she was too hurt that she was letting herself get carried away? Or was she planning a revenge on Chun that she was feeling the way she was? Was she drunk or what was it? For some certain reason Jiro seemed more attractive to her that evening. No Selina shoved away her thoughts. She was grateful that he was there for her. He rescued her when she wanted him to. Was he superman? Selina laughed at the thought and caused Jiro to look at her. Selina quickly turned away from his glance.

“Am I funny?” Jiro asked. “Wow Selina you’re high now.”

Selina turned to Jiro with a smile.

“What? Do I have something on my face?” Jiro questioned.

Selina’s smile dissolved as she placed a quick peck on his cheek.

“I’m feeling grateful because of you,” Selina admitted. “It’s been a long day hasn’t it?”

Jiro felt stunned. He wondered how many surprises God had in store for him. What was he doing? What was Selina doing? Was she wavering or did she actually feel something for him too? Would it be alright if she did? He silently hoped that Selina wasn’t just playing around.

“Grateful?” Jiro repeated. “Maybe it should be more like this.”

Jiro turned and placed his arm around Selina’s waist pulling her to him. Selina’s eyes widened in sudden surprise and without warning Jiro gave her a peck on her lips. Selina could feel Jiro’s arm loosen around her but she kept her hold on his shoulders and returned him a kiss. They didn’t know if it was on impulse, but Selina didn’t let go nor did Jiro. His arm tightened around her waist and Selina’s arms locked around his neck. For a moment neither of them thought about Chun or anyone else.

After what seemed like quite a while Jiro began to let go of Selina. They could still feel their warm breaths on each other’s faces. Selina let a small smile enter her face as she tilted her head down. Jiro bent down so he would be nearer to her and gave her another peck.

“Wait…I think…stop,” Selina said, “I mean…I don’t know how far I’ll let things get.”

“Does it matter right now?” Jiro asked.

“I don’t know what I’m doing right now,” Selina told tilting her face towards his. “If it’s a mistake…”

Jiro didn’t want to let the moment go. Selina wasn’t pushing him away and he knew that if she did he would have already stopped. Was he too engrossed in reality that he was letting everything slip?