~Search 28

Where I Found You

“Uh…Hebe,” Jay began as he took a step toward her.

Hebe gave a loud shout scaring him.

“Take a step back!” Hebe demanded.

Jay frowned confused, “What?”

“Stay five steps away from me!” Hebe shouted.

“Why?” Jay questioned.

“You were trying to touch me!” Hebe exclaimed.

“What?” Jay laughed. “How could you even accuse me of that?”

Hebe stared at him for a moment and turned around. She could feel her face turning red.

“Aissh! Whatever,” Hebe moaned then turned around and rushed toward her apartment building leaving a confused Jay staring after her.

+++

Ella watched as Calvin took out some food and found some pots and pans. Calvin began cutting some bell peppers then some vegetables then moved to start on the prawns.

“I heard bell peppers give you lots of nutrients,” Calvin told, “so I thought they’ll be good for you.”

Ella watched silently not knowing what to do. Should she either kick him out of her apartment or stop him from cooking?

“Remember the first time we met?” Calvin asked. “I almost ran you over and made you drop all the food you were carrying. You were working at a food service at that time so I took you with me and I made the food for you.”

Ella remembered everything clearly. She remembered watching Calvin’s marvelous movements as he cooked everything.

“But you were late for the appointment and got fired because of complaints,” Calvin recalled. “Are you sorry for bumping into me then?”

“Who bumped into who,” Ella said. “They say no pain no gain if you don’t regret it I won’t.”

Calvin smiled, “Good to hear. Let me give you this last meal.”

Ella stared at his back as he turned around and wondered what he meant by last meal. She felt a deep sadness she couldn’t explain. Was he going somewhere? Or had he really decided on letting her go? But why when this morning he had told her he still wanted her? But she should have also been ready for this. Ella bit her lip in order not to let her tears fall. Would he leave her like how she had left Chun?

For the rest of the time Calvin cooked silently. When he was done he set the table for her and placed the delicious food in front of her.

“Sorry if I was impulsive this morning,” Calvin apologized, “I thought things over the whole day. If you want them back…you should do everything with courage and don’t back down. I didn’t fall for you for nothing. However, if things don’t go the way you want…I’ll wait for you.”

Ella remained silent. Everyone of his words echoed loudly in her ears. She could hear Calvin move to the door and put his shoes on. He glanced back one more time then opened the door and left. As the door softly closed behind him Ella glanced at the food in front of her. Whatever she would eat now would taste like nothing in . Tears dropped down her cheeks without her thinking it. She got up from the table and slipped her feet into her shoes and flew out the door. She ran down the hall and down the stairs. Calvin wasn’t too far away since he was taking his time going down. Ella ran toward him and threw her arms around him from behind.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” Ella cried with her head leaning against him, “I’m sorry I didn’t know what I want and I still don’t know what I want.”

Calvin was silent, but he could also feel his heart ache. He wanted Ella to clear up her feelings and quickly choose him.

“But I don’t want you to go. I don’t want you to go,” Ella cried.

Calvin turned around and hugged Ella tightly. He didn’t want to let go either. Ella pulled out of his arms and wiped her tears.

“Just wait…after I fix things for myself I’ll make up my time,” Ella told her right hand grasping his shirt. “So wait for me.”

+++

Selina couldn’t help, but turn around once more as she stopped in front of her apartment door. Selina shook her hand and put a hand on her doorknob. Had she been hoping Chun would be following her? Selina laughed at her silliness and went into her apartment.

+++

Hebe opened the door to find everything silent. Had Calvin and Ella argued and Calvin had left? Or did they make up? Hebe wondered everything all over again. She stopped in front of Ella’s door and found that everything was quiet. Ella wasn’t crying or rustling inside. Feeling relieved with that Hebe walked away from her room, but before going into her own room she couldn’t help, but stop in front of Selina’s. Hebe opened the door silently as if Selina was inside sleeping. Hebe glanced through the dark to find everything empty and untouched. Hebe pressed her lips together and sadly went into her own room. Who did she have to talk to? Who would understand her loneliness at this time?

+++

Jiro had gone to work as usual the next morning. An hour after he had began work he received a phone call surprisingly from Genie.   

“Yes?” answered Jiro.

“Do you know where Chun is?” Genie questioned sounding worried.

“Are you going after Chun now?” Jiro joked.

“No, no he hasn’t come to the Day Care. He’d usually be here by now,” Genie told then said, “I’m worried. Yesterday when he went back home he didn’t look so well and he was all soaked and wet. I’m afraid he’s sick…if he is then there’s no one taking care of him or Deshi.”

+++

Selina slowly made her way to work as usual. She stopped and looked around for any sign of Chun. To her disappointment Chun was no where to be found. Maybe he had given up. With a quiet sigh Selina made her way into the store.

+++

Jiro rushed into the apartment building and ran to the manager in charge. After explaining the situation Jiro was let into Chun’s apartment. Jiro could make out Deshi’s loud wails as he entered. Jiro rushed in to see a worn out Deshi with flushed cheeks squirming around in his crib. Immediately Jiro attended to Deshi’s needs first then carried him into Chun’s room. Jiro found Chun curled up on the bed lying still.

“Chun!” Jiro called turning him over.

Jiro felt Chun’s forehead and exclaimed to himself how much Chun was burning up. Jiro set Deshi into his small play pen and got warm water and a towel. Jiro wiped the sweat of Chun’s forehead and changed his clothes. Genie was right. Chun was drenched and his clothes hadn’t dried at all.

“What are you thinking?” Jiro questioned Chun. “Where were you?”

After a bit Jiro had made some porridge and returned to the room. Chun was beginning to wake up. His eyes ran around the room then landed on Jiro.

“Why are you here?” Chun asked.

“Dude you scared me!” Jiro exclaimed. “Good thing Genie called me. What were you doing last night?”

Jiro took his breaths of relief and looked at his friend. Chun looked so tired with his red eyes, dark bags, and a worn out face. He looked so pitiful as he tried to sit up. Jiro helped him up and put a pillow behind his back to make sure Chun was comfy.

“I found Selina,” Chun said.

Jiro stared at Chun.

“She acts like she doesn’t care about me,” Chun told then looked desperate, “but I know she does. If you look in her eyes you know she still cares…I know she does. I miss her.”

Chun’s eyes got watery all of a sudden and he rubbed his eyes as if to hide his tears in front of Jiro. Jiro couldn’t help, but just stay silent. Because Chun had found Selina was that why she had been coming back so late?

“You should just rest,” Jiro said calmly, “you won’t be able to do anything if you keep getting sick.”

“Don’t you know where Selina’s staying?” Chun asked. “If I keep getting sick won’t she come back and take care of me? I want Selina to come back.”

“I…” Jiro began, but Deshi’s loud crying interrupted him.

“Go check on him,” Chun told as Jiro turned from the door to look at him.

Jiro pressed his lips together and went out. Deshi had fallen on the floor clumsily. Jiro picked him up and slightly turned back to look into Chun’s room. Should he tell Chun the truth? Jiro gulped as he remembered the night he’d spent with Selina. If Chun turned furious wouldn’t he just get sicker? What if Selina got mad at him and ran off like she had threatened? Would it be better to follow Selina’s orders or to tell Chun the truth? Whatever he did either one of them would get angry with him. Was there even a right or wrong? Jiro felt so stuck.     

+++

Selina didn’t want to say she missed him. She didn’t even want to think of missing him, but she just did it. As much as she wanted to deny it the truth was she did miss him. Every so often when she was by the counter she couldn’t help, but look through the window wondering if Chun was out there. During lunch even she had gone out with the thought that Chun might be sitting down waiting for her. Selina only found herself feeling disappointed. The clock ticked by slowly and it felt like two days merged into one.

As the sky darkened Selina glanced around one more time before heading back to her apartment. Selina stopped by Jiro’s door and wondered if he was back yet. Should she knock on his door? Never minding that idea Selina went into her apartment and dropped on the couch. Had she been using Jiro too much? Was she taking things overboard? Things should be strange and awkward between them since that night, but they were still acting as close friends, and nothing else. Was Jiro afraid of hurting Chun too? Feeling another headache coming on Selina got up to take a pill, but as soon as she did there was a knock on her door. Selina opened the door to find Jiro standing there.

“Sorry to intrude can I come in?” Jiro asked.

Selina looked up at him. She could tell by looking at him immediately that he had something on his mind.

After setting a cup of warm water in front of Jiro Selina took a seat herself.

“You look tired,” Selina commented.

“Have you seen Chun lately?” Jiro asked playing with his cup and keeping his eyes away from Selina.

Selina felt stunned at his question. Did Jiro know?

Without thinking Selina replied, “No.”

Jiro felt a small ache within him somewhere. Selina was lying. Why? Was there even a reason for her to lie to him?

Jiro took a gulp of his water then continued, “Chun’s sick. He didn’t look too well when I went to see him this morning.”

Without thinking a worried shocked look overcame Selina’s face. Jiro stole a quick glance at her and could tell immediately what she was feeling.

“I think you should go see him,” Jiro told. “Anyways I’m off.”

Jiro got up and went to the door. Without thinking Selina followed him.

“Is that all you came to say?” Selina asked. “Telling me to go back to him?”

“What did you expect?” Jiro questioned quietly.

Selina pursed her lips together then watched as Jiro left. Was she playing stupid or what? Why did she do the things she just did?

“God,” Selina bit her bottom lip.

What was she thinking?

+++

Jiro closed the door to his apartment and stood by it for a few minutes. Did he actually think they had something going on? Did he actually believe for a moment that Selina would reciprocate his feelings? She was still so in love with Chun. He could tell by looking at her eyes that she wasn’t ready to let go of Chun yet. Had he been used? Jiro shut his eyes. How painful his heart was. Would Selina be able to understand? He wished she would continue using him. Even if they still acted like normal friends in front of others Jiro was feeling distant. He didn’t want to be ignored, yet at the same time he couldn’t take out Chun’s pitiful expressions out of his head. Selina or Chun. Chun or Selina. Did he have a choice?