~Search 20

Where I Found You

+++

Chun turned the TV on and off, on and off. He’d woken up earlier than usual and wasn’t feeling tired at all. Deshi was awake and playing with his toys on the ground. Something was itching at him. He’d called Jiro, but Jiro wasn’t answering his phone. Selina would be at the engagement ceremony by now. Should he go? Chun thought for about an hour and finally got up.

+++

Selina was drinking another glass of wine to free herself of the feeling, but it wasn’t going away.

“Selina!” Hebe’s loud voice boomed.

Selina turned around to see Hebe rushing toward her.

“What are you doing?” Hebe asked taking the empty wine glass from her.

“I just had 1,” Selina told as to keep Hebe from lecturing her. “I’m not feeling good.”

Placing the wine glass on the desk Hebe turned back to Selina, “Did something happen to you? You didn’t seem well yesterday either.”

“I feel like something’s going to happen Hebe,” Selina tried to explain, “something…I know it Hebe.”

“Are you getting drunk from the wine?” Hebe asked.

“No I’m not. Listen to me Hebe,” Selina tried.

“Lets go back. Ella needs us,” Hebe said trying to grab Selina’s wrist but Selina was refusing.

+++

Ella searched through the crowd for her friends. If they were standing there she felt as if she might be able to go through the whole ceremony. Calvin was about to the cut the cake and he was waiting for her to put her hand over his so they could cut it together. Ella turned to look at Calvin with sorry eyes she knew he saw because his face expression changed too. She needed to go. She wasn’t ready to start anew.

“I’m sorry,” Ella told. “I can’t do this.”

With that Ella hurried off stage and out the doors to the reception area.

+++

Chun glanced out his window. After leaving Deshi with a neighbor and getting dressed in a suit he’d hurried out. Only now he was battling with traffic to get there in time. So what if Ella was getting engaged? He could at least congratulate her and wish her well. He wanted to make up with Selina. He wanted to apologize to her. They’d start again and be happy. Chun would make sure they stayed happy.

+++

“Selina are you crazy?” Hebe questioned.

Before going on Ella came running toward them. Hebe and Selina turned to watch her wondering what was going on. Selina felt her lips tighten.

“Hebe, Selina,” Ella began, “I’m so sorry.”

Selina felt her heart sink even if she didn’t know what was coming.

“I lied. I’m so sorry,” Ella kept apologizing.

“Ella! Why are you out here?” Hebe asked.

Ella wet her lips then looked straight at Selina, “Chun was my boyfriend. Deshi…he’s my son. I’m so sorry Selina. I started having these thoughts and feelings after I saw him again.”

Selina could literally feel her heart crumble. She was just dreaming. It was because she had taken sleeping pills again. Selina wanted to believe that. None of it was true Ella was just a dream.

“I want my baby back,” Ella finally said.

There was no mistake about the tears enveloping Selina’s eyes. What did Ella want her to say?

“Selina,” Ella reached out to try to touch her hand, but Selina had turned and started running out.

Hebe felt stunned herself. What she’d been getting suspicious of was true. Yet was she supposed to side with Selina or Ella? Either way they both were hurt.

+++

Jiro headed back into the room only to find that everyone had broken into groups and were gossiping with each other. He hurried to find the stage empty with only the cake visible. He quickly searched around feeling unsure if something had happened. When he finally recognized Jay Jiro seemed almost panicked.

“Where’s Selina?” Jiro questioned.

“I don’t know. They obviously ditched me,” Jay told.

“Where? Where did they go? Answer me dammit!” Jiro shouted.

People turned to look at them but Jiro didn’t care.

“They went out there gosh,” Jay said pointing to the reception room.

+++

As Selina ran across the street Chun finally got out of his car and started running into the hotel. If he could he’d at least want to be there for Selina. Why hadn’t he thought of doing that before? He had been so stubborn causing Selina to slowly drift away from him. Before he ran in he heard someone call him. Chun turned to see Ella standing with Hebe.

“Chun!” Ella shouted running over to him.

Chun stepped back and stared at Ella.

“What…” Chun began.

“Chun,” Ella called again.

“Ella!” Jiro shouted breaking their moment.

Chun watched as Jiro came over.

“What are you doing here?” Chun asked.

Jiro ignored him, “What did you say? What did you tell everyone?”

Hebe wanted to cut in to protect Ella, but felt it was none of her business and she couldn’t do anything about it.

“I…I just told Selina,” Ella started.

“You told her?” Chun asked. “How could you?! Ella! Do you know how foolish and naïve Selina is?”

“I know!” Ella shouted. “I know! I wanted to apologize! But she ran out!”

Jiro seemed taken aback then turned to Hebe, “Where did Selina go?”

“I don’t know. She just ran out the doors,” Hebe told.

“Chun we need to look for Selina,” Jiro told.

“I know that,” Chun said through gritted teeth.

Before Chun and Jiro made it out Hebe stopped them.

“Can I come along? I could be of help,” Hebe told. “I’m worried about Selina too.”

Jiro glanced at Ella then back to Hebe, “Just stay here and keep an eye on Ella.”

Jiro turned back to Chun and they hurried out the doors. They split up with Chun running in the direction Selina had gone and Jiro the opposite.

+++

Lies. How much she hated them. She’d been used. She was just a tool for them to forget everything. Ella and Chun had known the truth but they kept everything from her. She knew they were hiding something. Why didn’t they just come out and say it? Or were they waiting for the perfect moment to make a fool out of her? Selina wiped the tears off her cheek. People approached her to ask if she was ok and if she needed help, but Selina just ignored them.

She had no idea where she was going. Even in this city that she knew she felt lost. Why had she come in the first place? Why did she leave Hong Kong? Selina stopped in the middle of the sidewalk and gave out a loud sob. Her face tilted to the ground she let her tears fall freely.

+++

Chun and Jiro stopped every so often to ask people if they’ve seen a woman in a black dress. Some gave them answers and others ignored them. Half an hour passed by and they felt their blood rushing. Where had Selina gone?

“Excuse me miss,” Jiro stopped a woman, “have you seen a woman in a black dress?”

“Are you talking about the woman over there?” the woman pointed to Selina.

Jiro turned and recognized Selina immediately.

“Selina!” Jiro tried shouting, but Selina didn’t seem to hear at all. “Selina!”

Jiro glanced into the street and tried to cross it, but was forced back by a speeding car.

“Selina!” Jiro tried again.

+++

“This way?” Chun asked. “Thanks!”

Where was Selina? The only thing that mattered to him was getting to her again. Though he realized the possibilities that Selina may hate him forever, but he just wanted to see her again. Why didn’t he just say something to her? Why, why, why?

Chun stopped and waited for the cars to pass as he saw Selina up ahead. Her head was tilted down and her body was shaking. She was crying. How he wanted to hold her and comfort her. As the light signaled for pedestrians to cross Chun ran.

+++

Jiro stopped shouting when he sighted Chun run toward Selina. As Chun threw his arms around her Jiro felt his heart sink. Even if he’d been the first to find her Selina would have wanted him to be Chun.

+++

“I’m so glad you’re ok,” Selina recognized Chun’s voice.

She fought her way out of his embrace and pushed him away with all her might. Chun stepped toward her again, but Selina shouted.

“Stay away from me!” Selina screamed at the top of her lungs. “Why are you here? Go back! I don’t want you here!”

Chun witness the tears fall down her eyes and onto her round face. She looked so tired.

“Selina,” Chun tried.

“Liar!” Selina wiped her face. “I won’t hate you…is that good enough? Is that what you wanted to hear?”

“No!” Chun shouted. “Selina just calm down please!”

“I can’t calm down!” Selina shouted. “Just leave me alone.”

Selina started to step back then suddenly tripped. Chun watched painfully knowing that he wanted to comfort her, but Selina didn’t want him.

“Selina,” another voice called.

Jiro had managed to cross the street after watching their argument. Selina lifted her face up from her hands. Finally someone else had come. Selina got up from the ground and ran toward Jiro. Chun felt jealousy and pain strike through him as Selina threw her arms around Jiro and cried against him. For once Chun wondered why Jiro had finally chosen to appear at that moment.

“Jiro…Jiro…Jiro,” Selina cried.

“I know,” Jiro told patting Selina’s back.

+++

Ella tossed her jacket onto the couch. Where had Selina gone? Where was Chun? She watched as Hebe rushed into the kitchen and poured a cup of water. Hebe ran back and handed the cup to Ella.

Ella seemed a little surprised, “You don’t hate me do you?”

“Of course not,” Hebe’s face softened, “I know the kind of person you are Ella. I know why you did what you did, but I have to tell you…it was wrong.”

“I know,” Ella told. “I know doing this won’t get me near them again, but I had to say something. I feel so choked up keeping this secret.”

“I know. It’s ok Ella,” Hebe said hugging her friend. “It’s understandable. Once Selina gets back I’ll talk to her.”

“She must hate me by now,” Ella finally managed to let her tears fall.

“She’s too nice to hate anyone,” Hebe managed to tell.

+++    

“Look, I think it’s better if you just go ok?” Jiro asked standing by his door refusing to let Chun enter.

Knowing that Selina was sitting inside Jiro’s room crying didn’t make Chun feel better. It was the fact that Chun was leaving Selina alone with Jiro.

“Can’t I just see her?” Chun asked.

“You should understand that she’s too shocked and angry to be able to express anymore soft feelings toward you at this moment Chun,” Jiro explained.

“But…” Chun told. “You never told me you were Selina’s date.”

“That’s not important anymore. She didn’t want me to tell you about it anyway.” Jiro turned to look back then turned back to Chun. “I won’t do anything to her. Once she feels good enough I’ll send her back to her place ok?”

Chun stared at Jiro for a moment and reluctantly stepped back from the door. It was then that Jiro closed the door and locked it. He could hear Selina’s heartbreaking sobs. Jiro wanted to comfort her, but already realized that Chun wanted Selina more. That simple fact made him uncomfortable.

Jiro sat on the couch for some time and had fallen asleep. He woke up hours later and quickly remembered that Selina had been crying, but now he wasn’t hearing anything. He hurried into his bedroom to find Selina perched on his chair staring out at the window. She wasn’t asleep or she hadn’t been asleep at all. Hearing his footsteps Selina turned her head slightly then turned back to the window.

“In Lion King when the Kings died they became stars right?” Selina asked.

“I think so,” Jiro agreed. “Are you feeling better?”

“Can you find a place for me to stay?” Selina questioned.

Jiro was silent then said, “But there’s still Hebe and…”

“I can’t face them anymore,” Selina told. “I’ve thought about it all night. Please Jiro.”

Was he supposed to deny her?

“There’s a room next door. It’s been vacant for some time now. I can talk to the manager about it,” Jiro offered. “But how are…”

“Don’t tell anyone.” Selina ordered. “If you do I’ll run away.”

“You don’t sound like yourself Selina,” Jiro said.

Selina ignored his comment, “I’ll go back in the morning to get my clothes. Come with me ok?”

+++

Chun couldn’t sleep even if he wanted. He didn’t like the idea that Selina was with Jiro even if Jiro was his most trusted friend. He couldn’t forget the fact that Jiro had once liked Selina or did he still like her? What if Selina did something foolish? What if she and Jiro…Chun shook his head.

“Trust Jiro,” he told himself.

He also couldn’t forget that Selina had called him a liar. He felt hurt with her words, but it was true. Selina was only telling the truth. How much hurt was she feeling? How much was she bearing alone? Chun got up and went to get a cup of water. He wouldn’t be able to sleep anymore.