~Search 24

Where I Found You

+++

Chun woke up from his nap suddenly that he almost felt surprised. He’d just had a dream of him walking down the aisle arm in arm with Selina. Chun sat up and rubbed his eyes. He got off the couch and walked into Deshi’s room to find that he was awake. Chun took Deshi out of his crib and rocked him gently in his arms.

“You want Selina back too don’t you?” Chun asked. “Will you call me papa now?”

Deshi made a noise, but it was no where near talking.

“I guess we can wait until Selina returns. I want her to be here when you start yapping,” Chun said with a small smile.

Chun walked out of Deshi’s room and went to stare out of the window. How much had he done for Selina during the time he still had her? He gave her small surprises that weren’t much. He tried cooking and failed horribly. He tried to make up with her after every argument he’d had and he had apologized for being so mean to her. Was Selina happy? Was she content during those periods? Or was a part of her lingering about his past? Maybe he should have paid more attention to how much Selina was being bothered by the existence of Deshi’s mother. If he had spoken up while Selina was asking him would it have hurt her the same? Selina could have spent much more of her time outdoors enjoying her time with friends and doing what young women should do. Instead she’d spent her time with him taking care of Deshi. How much of her life had he made her miss out on?

Chun let out a chuckle as he recalled when he had told Selina that he would have to take her home with him. The look on her face was priceless. Would they ever have such moments again?

“Where are you Selina?” Chun asked the silence aloud.

+++

Nothing had happened. Selina was sure of that as her eyes opened and she looked around in the dark. She could feel Jiro laying next to her his face against her shoulder. As every object in her small room became clearer Selina felt her breath become calmer. Jiro’s jacket had fallen off but his ed shirt was still on his body. Selina had taken off her shirt but she still could feel her tank top on. Relief flooded through her. Their hands were entwined underneath the blanket. Selina began to reposition herself.

“What? You can’t sleep?” Jiro questioned.

Selina glanced at him to see his shining eyes glitter through the dark.

“So you were up,” Selina said.

She cold feel him unclasp his hand around hers then clasp them again.

“No you woke me up,” Jiro told.

“Did I? Am I supposed to feel sorry?” Selina asked with sarcasm.

“No it’s ok,” Jiro said.

Selina glanced at Jiro and with her free hand brushed his hair aside.

“I never noticed you had so much hair,” Selina commented.

Jiro moved himself so that he was face to face with her. Selina felt strange as he smiled at her.

“You should just go back to sleep,” Jiro told.

Selina closed her eyes and hoped to fall asleep fast.

+++

Chun woke up early and dropped Deshi off at the Day Care. While on the road headed toward work a thought occurred to him as he came to a stop light.

“I should have gone back to that store,” Chun said aloud to himself, “why didn’t I think of it? Selina could have been there anytime.”

Chun pulled over to the side and grabbed his phone. He made a quick call to his work lying that he was sick. After hanging up he decided that doing it just once wouldn’t hurt too much. If he would get to see Selina then it would be worth it.

+++

Jiro squinted his eyes closed as he sat up. Selina wasn’t in bed and noticing that he got off the bed. Grabbing his jacket off the ground and buttoning up his shirt he walked out of Selina’s room to find her moving around in the kitchen.

“You’re late for work aren’t you?” asked Selina.

“And you didn’t wake me up?” Jiro snorted trying to adjust his clothes.

“A guy should be able to get up by himself. I have to go to work too,” Selina told setting a plate of omelet on the table. “Do you want some?”

After a quick meal Jiro quickly left Selina’s apartment then walked into his apartment. He took a quick shower, changed clothes, and ran off to work.

“You’re here?” Selina’s manager asked as the door opened.

“Morning,” Selina greeted.

“I have a quick favor to ask,” her manager said as Selina took off her purse.

“What is it?” Selina asked slinging her purse back onto her arm.

“A friend of mine called and asked me to bring her some flour, but I’m a little busy right now. She needs it right away…can you deliver it for me?” her manager asked.

Selina found herself walking through the small run down streets with the big bag of small bags of flour.

“I didn’t know he meant this much,” Selina told readjusting the bag onto her arms.

As she took a few more steps the bag was suddenly lifted out of her arms. Surprised Selina looked behind her to see no one then quickly looked to her right and tilted her head up to see Chun.

“Looks like you could use help,” Chun said.

“What are you…” Selina asked then gritted her teeth deciding she’d deal with him after delivering the flour.  

“I finally caught you,” Chun thought to himself.

“Lets deliver the flour first…” Selina glared at Chun.

“Where to?” Chun asked.

Selina couldn’t help, but felt herself fill up with a bunch of emotions. They were swirling inside her. Questions of why he was there and why did he appear.
    
“The gray house over there,” Selina pointed out.

“You’re welcome,” Selina said as the smiling woman closed the door.

Selina turned around and wiped her smile off her face.

“What do you want?” asked Selina.

“Can we talk over breakfast? I didn’t eat this morning,” Chun told.

Selina felt like kicking him. Didn’t he know how angry she was? Selina looked at him. If he wanted to play she’d play along and she’d make him regret it.

The small café wasn’t quite busy yet so Selina and Chun made themselves comfortable by the window seats.

“I want a Bacon and Bagel, Scrambled Eggs and Tomato Wrap, Caprese Sandwich, Artisan Baguette, Coffee Blast, and Fresh Grapes,” Selina said picking random things off the menu.

The waitress had a surprised expression on her face as she scrambled to jot down on her small notepad what Selina wanted. Chun stared back at Selina wondering what had gotten in her. She had never eaten so much before. Was she not getting enough food?

“Um…just a Turkey Sandwich for me,” Chun told handing back the menu to the waitress.

The waitress nodded and walked off quickly. Selina felt a smirk climb onto her face as she turned to look out of the window.

“Where did you go?” Chun asked. “I thought maybe you left Taiwan.”

“You should just worry about yourself,” Selina snapped.

It stung her to even think of the fact that Chun was sitting right in front of her. Had he and Ella gotten back together? Selina bit her bottom lip to get a better grip of herself. She’d make him pay, yet it felt good to see him. Selina gulped as he drink arrived. She quickly decided she had no pleasure on seeing him.

“What do you want?” Selina asked turning to Chun whose eyes had been following her the whole time.

“Selina…ok I know you’re furious,” Chun said.

“This meal’s on you I hope you know that,” Selina interrupted.

“I just want to…” Chun began again.

“Looks like I don’t have much time. My food isn’t coming either,” Selina quickly interrupted again as she glanced at her watch.

Chun felt a wave of small panic fly through him. He didn’t want to lose sight of her again. He knew for sure that Selina was trying to avoid him.

“I’m sorry,” Chun blurted out, “everything that happened wasn’t intentional.”

Selina gripped onto her purse.

“Sure! Ok!” Selina said the volume of her voice increasing. “You didn’t mean to lie! Where’s my food?!”

“Selina…calm down,” Chun said glancing around at the other customers. “I…”

Selina could feel her blood boiling. She hadn’t meant to shout so loudly or anything, but once Chun had brought up the subject of the secret they’d kept she felt her head flying off.

“I didn’t want to see you hurt so I never said a thing. I’m sorry Selina,” Chun said without taking a breath.

“Excuse me,” Selina said as she lifted her purse off her lap and got off her chair.

Chun watched as Selina push the door open and walk out of the café. Immediately Chun rushed after Selina. Selina hurried down the sidewalk doing her best to hold back her threatening tears. She just felt so angry at the same time as she felt her disappointment go up. She just wanted to be alone, why was he bothering her? Selina stopped by the bus stop to wait for the bus. She could hear Chun’s loud footsteps stop near her.

“Just listen to me for a bit ok? I won’t take much of your time,” Chun pleaded.

Selina’s reply was an angry silence that filtered around them. Chun stared at her back. Was she not really going to turn around and listen to him? Was she really confident about not seeing him anymore? Even if she was he wasn’t.

“I…I knew you’d get upset if you knew…so I didn’t want to say anything. It wasn’t like I was going to keep it a secret forever…I wanted to tell you…but I also really wanted to be with you,” Chun told, but as soon as the bus arrived Selina had walked off without letting him continue.

She wasn’t giving him a chance.

Chun quickly followed her and climbed onto the bus. Selina had found a seat at the end of the bus, but an old woman was sitting in the seat next to her. Chun walked over with his hands against his side. The bus began to move down the street, but Chun remained standing. He cleared his throat loudly, but Selina did not glance up at him. She kept her face against the window and did not budge. Chun was surprised with how stubborn she could be. Chun cleared his throat again and the old woman shot her head up at him.

“What are you sick or something?” she questioned in an annoyed tone. “If you’re feeling unwell or something you should have gotten off the bus. Aiissh, young people these days.”   

Selina felt a smile come onto her face as she felt that Chun would be embarrassed. As the bus came to the next stop the old woman got off and Chun quickly sat on her seat before the people coming onto the bus could sit down.

Selina felt anger climb up her body and before the bus went on she shouted, “Sorry but could you stop here? I wanted to get off too.”

The bus came to another halt and Selina hurried off the bus.

“Me too,” Chun called and followed Selina down the street.

She was arriving back at the store. When they were a few buildings away from the store Selina paused and it felt like a while before she finally turned around. Her eyes were filled with fury and unhappiness. Chun didn’t need to be told to see it.

“Stop it! Stop following me. How long are you going to keep it up? Shouldn’t you be going to work or something?” Selina shouted.

Chun stared back at her.

“I’m going to keep following you until you come back,” Chun told. “It doesn’t matter how long it is even if I have to lose my job.”

“You’re crazy!” Selina shouted again.

“Crazy?” Chun repeated then smiled. “Yes.”

Selina gritted her teeth again. Chun was definitely driving her nuts if he was willing to drive her over the limit.

“Fine! Lets see if you can stand out here all day!” Selina said then turned and walked angrily into the store.

As soon as she walked through the door her manager looked up from the boxes where he was taking stuff out of.

“Where were you?” he questioned. “I was afraid you got lost I even went over to confirm that she got the delivery. What takes two hours to go and come back?”

“Sorry,” Selina apologized with a smile then slightly turned back to see Chun pacing back and forth outside of the shop.

Selina made a face and turned back to her manager.

+++

Hebe was in the room changing the bed sheets when she heard a knock at the door. Hebe turned around to see Jay standing there with a slight smile.

“You’re running so much around the place that I couldn’t even find you,” Jay said.

“Excuse me?” Hebe remarked.

Jay chuckled then leaned against the frame of the door, “Want to eat lunch with me?”

“Why?” Hebe asked as she smoothed out the bed sheet so no wrinkles were there to be seen.

Jay didn’t reply but hurried over and placed the pillow on the bed and threw the blanket on quickly then turned to Hebe.

“So now that I’m finished helping you can we go?” he asked.

Hebe made a face at him and wondered what he wanted from her. In the next few minutes she found herself sitting at a small table enjoying a warm cup of tea, and a small cake after a sandwich.

“You’re pretty hungry after trying to reject my offer,” Jay told.

Hebe smiled and continued to eat.

“You’re paying for your share though,” Jay stated.

Hebe set her fork down on her plate.

“Why? You’re the one that offered lunch!” Hebe pouted.

“But we aren’t even dating and why should I pay?” Jay questioned.

“Well why wouldn’t you?” Hebe said trying to chew and swallow everything in .

“My first reasoning is I’ll pay anything for my girlfriend,” Jay told.

Hebe stared back at Jay with a bored expression.

“Well you’re paying anyway cause I said so,” Hebe told him off and walked away quickly.

Jay laughed and watched as Hebe walked out the door. He quickly got up heading over to the counter to pay and followed Hebe down the street.

“I figured you would wait for me,” Jay said as he went over to her.

Hebe crossed her arm, “Who’s waiting for you? I’m waiting for a nice handsome guy to come by in taxi so I can go back.”

“Oh please…it’s so busy here that all the taxis are occupied,” Jay told. “I’ll just give you a ride back.”

“Why?” Hebe asked. “I don’t want to go back with you.”

“It’s good to save gas for the economy,” Jay told as he pushed Hebe toward his car.