~Search 25

Where I Found You

+++

“Thank you! Have a nice day!” Selina called after the customer.

Selina began to straighten out the bills when her manager walked over and glanced out of the window.

“What is he doing out there?” the manager asked.

Selina turned to look up at her manager then glanced over to the window. She felt shocked and surprised that he was still out there.

“What? He’s really going to stand there all day?” Selina questioned herself.

“I’m going to call the cops so make sure he doesn’t go anywhere,” her manager whispered to her.

Selina quickly turned around feeling alarmed.

“Call the cops?” Selina asked loudly.

“Yes,” her manager replied reaching for the phone.

Selina quickly grabbed the phone and replaced it back in the receiver.

“I don’t think he’s able to harm anyone manager,” Selina said.

Her manager frowned, “Do you know him?”

“Oh no! Of course not, but like I said I don’t think he looks like the type to hurt someone,” Selina lied with a nervous smile.

“He’s the one that came here the other day looking for you. What if he does something to you?” her manager questioned.

“I can handle things myself,” Selina told.

Her manager gave her a stern look, “Alright lets have things your way, but becareful.”

Selina nodded and glanced out the window again. She frowned and bit her bottom lip once more. How long was Chun going to stay out there? If he thought tailing her everyday would make her change her mind he was definitely wrong.

+++

As Jay’s car came to a stop Hebe stumbled out of the car quickly. Jay got out after her and laughed.

“What’s gotten into her?” Jay questioned.

Hebe rushed toward the doors of the building and paused slightly turning back to see Jay adjusting his jacket. Giving a snort Hebe pulled the door open and hurried in.

+++

The world was about to turn dark. The stars were out and twinkling when Selina had walked back to the counter.

“Goodnight!” Selina called and grabbed her purse opening the door.

She paused outside of the door when she recognized Chun’s figure.

“Shouldn’t you be going to get Deshi?” Selina asked.

Chun turned toward her with his hands in his pocket, “I got him a sitter.”

“You trust him with a sitter?” Selina questioned.

“I’d rather trust him with you but I have no choice,” Chun told.

Selina snorted at the same time as she let out a ridiculed laugh.

“You’re going to stand here all day? Are you stupid?” Selina asked.

“Didn’t you say you wanted to see how long I can stand out here?” Chun asked.

Selina frowned deeply. Was Chun trying to twist her words?

“Go away,” Selina demanded and walked down the alley.

Chun followed her silently. They walked on in silence and Selina felt even more irritated as each second passed by. Recognizing Chun’s car up ahead Selina stopped in her steps and turned around.

“Stop it!” Selina shouted. “Are you a dog or something? Why should you be following me around? Go back home!”

Chun stared back at her not willing to move.

“Yea I’m willing to lower myself…I’m willing to become something even lower than a dog,” Chun said, “Selina you know everything’s just a mistake. No one wanted things to be the way they are…just come back.”

“Do you think you’re God or something?” Selina asked. “Everything you say is either come back or return…I’m sick and tired of it. I don’t want to come back…no I don’t ever want to come back.”

“Selina…don’t you think you’re making things too hard?” Chun tried.

“No,” was Selina’s reply, “do you call yourself the victim in the situation now? You created it yourself you liar.”

Chun felt stung by her harsh words. Was she really going to go that far?

“Do you hate me?” Chun asked.

Selina stared back at him angrily.

“Yea…I hate you…” Selina said keeping her tone at an even level.

They stared at each other through the dark. Chun wasn’t willing to leave, but Selina wasn’t going to let him stay either.

“Go back Chun,” Selina said, “if you’re not with Ella yet…go back and get her or if that’s impossible too then go find someone Deshi will like. I don’t want to see your face anymore.”

Chun blinked back his angry tears. Selina wasn’t going to soft for him. He gulped figuring he’d have to think of something better. Taking a deep breath he forced his legs to move forward.

Selina could feel the cold air pass between them as Chun brushed passed her. She almost felt sorry for him and wanted to scream for him to return when he had gotten into his car. Selina watched as he drove away and turned away refusing to let her tears fall.

“Good Selina…just keep things like this.” She told herself.

When Selina reached the top of the staircase she saw Jiro leaning against the wall between both their doors. He stood up straightening himself as he smiled.

“You’re back,” he said.

Selina had a questioning expression on her face.

“Lets have dinner,” he suggested.

“You prepared dinner?” Selina asked.

“All ready to eat,” Jiro told, “come on.”

He opened his apartment door and Selina couldn’t help, but glance in before she actually went in. The small squared table was filled with different dishes. There was a tall, skinny red candle in the center of the table. Selina couldn’t help, but think of the first time when Chun had actually attempted to cook for her. Jiro’s setting seemed a little more successful and had a small romantic air to it. She suddenly wondered if Chun had gotten home safely.

“Something wrong?” Jiro asked.

“Oh…no,” Selina told.

“Then take a seat,” Jiro said.

Selina smiled as she sat down and took a closer glance at the food.

“They taste good right? Did you make them yourself?” Selina questioned grabbing her chopsticks.

“I made sure they all taste good and yes I made them myself,” Jiro said taking a seat, “I used my grandma’s cookbook.”

They both laughed together.

+++

Chun unlocked his door and stepped in to find Genie sitting in front of the TV eating popcorn out of a bowl.

“You’re back,” Genie said, “took you long enough. Deshi finally went to sleep barely five minutes ago.”

“Thanks,” Chun said with a small smile.

“You look tired. Try to get more rest,” Genie advised.

Chun nodded as Genie got up.

“I’ll take my leave,” Genie told and opened the door heading out.

Making sure the door was locked Chun dropped onto the couch. How much further was she going take everything? Didn’t she think she was exaggerating things? She had gotten angry just a while ago. Had he been trying to step on her pride? Should he have given her more time to be by herself before trying to pursue her again? Would Selina suddenly just turn back to him? Chun shook his head. There were no answers to his questions.

+++

Hebe finally got up the next morning when she wasn’t able to sleep any longer. Hebe made tea for herself first along with a side of rice and some leftovers from the take out the night before. Right before Hebe finished her food the bell rang. Thinking of the possibility that it might be Selina Hebe rushed from the table to open the door. A surprised expression appeared on her face as Calvin stared back at her.

“What are you…” Hebe began.

“Is Ella in?” Calvin asked.

Hebe nodded her head yes and let Calvin in. For all she knew Ella had been avoiding him. Would Ella get mad with her now that she’d let Calvin into their apartment?

“Would you like something?” asked Hebe.

“Is Ella in?” Calvin asked looking around.

Ella’s door suddenly opened and she looked as if she had something she was about to say, but the expression that was suddenly drawn on her face made it seem as if she forgot. She stared at Calvin then Hebe. Having a feeling of what Ella was going to say Hebe grabbed her purse.

“I’m going. Have a nice chat,” Hebe scrambled off.

Ella watched as the door closed and turned to Calvin. What was he doing there?

+++

Hebe stopped by the doors and turned to look behind her. She had to make sure that Ella hadn’t followed her leaving Calvin behind. Hebe sighed a sigh of relief when she didn’t see Ella anywhere. Ella would for sure kill her later. Hebe turned around and took a step, but gave a loud shout of surprise when she almost ran into Jay.

“What are you doing?!” Hebe shouted.

“What? I was just coming to give you a ride,” Jay said widening his eyes wondering why Hebe was so surprised.

“Since when did you start giving me rides to work?” asked Hebe ignoring the people who were staring at her.

Jay glanced at his watch, “Starting today. We’re going to be late.”

He grabbed her wrist and led her out of the apartment building.

“You guys are all driving me crazy,” Hebe mumbled to herself.

+++

“I missed you Ella,” Calvin said.

Ella turned away from him as he tried to grab her hand.

“I guess I’ll have to serve you. Tea or coffee?” questioned Ella.

“Coffee,” Calvin replied following Ella to the table and took a seat.

Ella placed a cup in front of him without saying anything.

“I didn’t come to interrogate you,” Calvin told.

“It’s still just embarrassing me,” Ella commented as she sat down. “What do you want to say? We’re going to have to get this over with anyway.”

Calvin stared at Ella for a long time.

“I’m not mad at you, but why did you suddenly disappear? Ella my mom’s disappointed in you. Not for ruining the engagement, not for the expenses, but she’s angry at why you never said a word. You just ran off at the last second,” Calvin told. “Why didn’t you say anything?”

Ella rubbed her hand against her face as she recalled her first time at attempting to say something to Calvin, but had failed. All her feelings came flooding back and she felt more frustrated than ever. Without a word Ella got up from the table, disappeared to her room for a while, and came walking back with something in her hand. She placed a picture in front of Calvin.

“This is my son and that’s the guy I used to date,” Ella said.

She watched as Calvin stared at the picture. He wasn’t saying anything.

“Speechless?” Ella asked. “And you still want to go on with the engagement? Sorry, but no I think it’s a crazy idea for me to continue on with this.”

Before Ella reached for the picture Calvin snatched her hand.

“You hid this?” Calvin asked.

Ella stared at Calvin with tears overwhelming in her eyes.

“I’m a bad woman Calvin! I left them because I was too selfish. I could only see myself back then! He should be 15 months old by now,” Ella told, “I miss him…I want him back.”

“What about the father?” Calvin asked. “You want him back too?”

Calvin turned to look up at Ella and she couldn’t help, but let her tear fall down.

“I don’t know,” Ella said pulling her hand out of his grasp, but Calvin just grabbed her wrist again.

“I haven’t finished loving you,” he said looking straight at her, “I want you back.”