~Search 8

Where I Found You

“Are you…are you comfortable?” Chun asked nervously.

“Uh…yea,” Selina replied pulling the blanket over her.

“Ok…good night,” Chun told and walked off quickly.

Selina watched as his bedroom door closed and let out a breath of relief. What a foolish thought it was of hers to think that he would kiss her! Selina closed her eyes and fell back to sleep quickly.

Chun, on the other hand, lay awake on his bed staring into the darkness. Should he really have Selina in his apartment alone with him? Well generally they were alone other than Deshi who was also there, but he was just a baby. Chun thought for a moment and decided he could trust himself. He wouldn’t do anything that would be considered as crossing the line. Selina’s face seemed so soft and she seemed so peaceful. If he didn’t have Deshi he would have given anything to have a chance to go for Selina, but without Deshi he was nothing. Without Deshi he wouldn’t have met Selina.

Chun woke up the next morning. The first thing that occurred to him was that Deshi had not cried all morning. He quickly got off his bed and scampered out of his room to find Selina holding Deshi cooking a simple breakfast in the kitchen. She was humming a song to herself and Deshi seemed to be enjoying every bit of it. Chun decided that if he were a stranger he’d think Selina and Deshi were son and mother.

Feeling something on her back Selina turned around to see Chun staring at her.

“Morning tired man,” Selina greeted with a splendid smile.

Chun smiled a little, “Deshi…”

“He gave a cry this morning but you weren’t getting to him so I did,” Selina explained. “You seem really tired. My word of advice: You should take a break.”

Chun just smiled and went back into his room and got dressed into fresh clothes. As he made his way over he grabbed Deshi from Selina.

“You big boy!” Chun said snuggling his face against his son’s. “It must be easier to cook without having to hold him.”

“He’s heavy for his age,” Selina commented.

Chun stared down at Selina. She seemed so small, yet she was able to do so much. Selina set the table and threw the dishes into the sink. After washing them Selina wiped her hands dry on her jeans.

“Enjoy you breakfast little boy,” Selina said pinching Deshi’s long cheek.

Chun looked up from his chair, “Aren’t you eating?”

“Actually I’m going to go back first,” Selina told. “I’ll see you later.”

“Oh…I’ll see you then,” Chun said and watched as Selina left.

Chun turned toward Deshi who had a blank expression on his face, “Eat up. It’s not everyday that we’re this lucky.”

+++

When Selina got back she found Hebe standing by Ella who was sitting down on a stool by the counter in the kitchen. Hebe looked as if she was trying to comfort Ella, but it wasn’t working. There were two big mugs sitting on the counter.

“What’s going on?” Selina questioned.

“Selina! Where were you? You don’t even return to your own apartment anymore,” Hebe scolded.

“What’s wrong?” Selina asked as she successfully changed the subject.

“Ella’s not feeling well, but she won’t go to bed,” Hebe explained. “She’s drunk two cups of coffee already.”

Selina’s eyebrows went up surprised. Ella did look stressed out and her eyes were red showing that she was exhausted or that maybe she’d been crying. Selina patted her back comfortingly.

“Did you fight with Calvin?” Selina questioned.

Ella shook her head, “It’s nothing. I’ve just been thinking too much.”

“What’s there to think about? Everything’s going so well for you. You’re like…a star off the Christmas tree,” Hebe told. “You’re going to get engaged and shortly get married and have ten kids or so.”

“Yea I know,” Ella told.

How could she bring herself to tell her friends about what was really bothering her? What would they think? She knew for sure they’d call her evil for abandoning her own flesh and blood and the man she’s promised to love. She’d heard their point of views on love before and she was positively sure that they’d dislike her if they found out. Ella didn’t want to lose Hebe nor Selina. They meant so much to her and they’d always been there for her. She wouldn’t be anything without her friends.

“We’ll give you a hug to bandage you up,” Hebe told and threw her arms around Ella.

Selina did the same too.

“Now isn’t that all better?” Hebe asked.

“Why don’t you go and get a rest?” Selina suggested.

“Ok,” Ella gave in and got up from her stool.

Hebe and Selina watched as Ella disappeared into her room.

“Wait for me. I have to shower first,” Selina turned to Hebe then rushed off toward the bathroom.

“You’re probably going to be gone every night from now on eh?” Hebe asked as they got into the car.

“Why’d you say that?” said Selina.

“You haven’t been selling yourself as a e have you?” Hebe asked.

“Hebe!” Selina screamed. “You’re way out of your mind!”

Hebe chuckled satisfied with Selina’s answer.

“Ok, I know,” Hebe said.

Selina turned to look out of the window and thought of Chun’s warm breath against her face. What if he had kissed her? Selina shook her head quickly of the thought.

“You’ve been spending a lot of time with him haven’t you?” Hebe asked.

“What are you talking about?” Selina questioned.

“Deshi’s father,” Hebe told. “I’m going to warn you to stay away from him. He gives me this…this unexplainable feeling. I have a feeling that if you get near him things are going to turn bad in the future Sel.”

“Have you suddenly switched over from being a nurse to a fortune teller?” Selina asked.

“I’m serious Sel,” Hebe said and from her tone of voice Selina knew she was serious.

“I already said he isn’t my type,” Selina cleared. “Don’t worry. I can take care of myself.”

Even as Selina told Hebe that lie to stop her from worrying Selina already knew she was an angel that had fallen from heaven. No matter how hard she tried he was always on her mind.

+++  

Chun was charmingly handsome even in that casual suit he wore as he held Deshi. Deshi reached his arms out eagerly for Selina as she hurried toward him.

“You miss me already?” Selina questioned kissing him on the cheek.

Chun smiled as he watched her do so.

After Chun left Selina spent her day normal like any other day. Her mind drifted off every now and then. She figured the only explanation to why she felt so hurt when he yelled at her was because she liked him. She didn’t want to get him angry or do anything that would make him disappointed. Her mother always told her that when a girl likes a guy she would always be naïve and foolish. Was her desire for him a little exaggerated? Even the thought scared her a little. How could she like someone who already had a child? On the other hand what was wrong with that?

The ringing of her phone brought her out of her cooped thoughts. It was Hebe suggesting that since they’d been busy the past few days the three of them should have a small get together to cheer Ella up. Reluctantly Selina agreed knowing she needed to do what was best for Ella first. Chun and Deshi would have to come afterward.

After a few more hours when Selina had followed Chun out of the Day Care to the parking lot. She literally had to pry Deshi’s hands off her shirt and handed him to Chun.

“Do you want to come over and cook again?” Chun asked hoping the answer would be yes.

He’d wanted to taste Selina’s cooking again. It’d been a long time since he’d eaten good food.

Selina wanted so much to say yes but instead said, “I already have plans tonight. What about tomorrow?”

“Ok,” Chun forced a smile onto his face. “Have a good time then.”

Selina nodded and waved to Deshi. As soon as his car was out of sight Hebe’s car arrived.

+++

“So what’s the plan tonight?” Selina questioned.

“Shopping!” Hebe shouted excitedly.

“Shopping?” Selina repeated.

Hebe nodded, “The best way to relieve a girl of stress is to shop!”

For a moment Selina wondered if this was for Hebe or for Ella. After picking up Ella from the apartment they headed toward the mall. They stopped in several stores, tried on clothes, bought the ones they liked, and so on. Ella seemed to cheer up a little as she was able to clear her head. It was only after they walked out of Macy’s which was located next to a baby store Ella seemed to freeze for a second and slowly walked in.

“A baby store?” Hebe asked looking up at the name of the store then followed Ella in.

Ella walked through the aisles of toys then passed onto the toys. She stopped by the 14 month old section and thought that if she still stayed with Chun her baby would be able to wear these clothes.

“They’re so cute!” Hebe exclaimed. “Wait till you have one Ella then I’ll buy all of them for you!”

Selina on the other hand thought of Deshi. He could use some new clothes even though he seemed to have a lot already.

“Do you have a baby we don’t know about?” Hebe questioned as Selina picked up an outfit.

Selina laughed then answered, “It’s for a friend.”

“You have a friend that has a baby?” Hebe asked.

“Well…” Selina stuttered. “Well I have plenty of friends you don’t know about.”

“Selina are you still in touch with Chun?” Ella suddenly asked.

“You know him?” Selina sounded surprised.

“Well we used to go to school together. He was my senior,” Ella lied.

She had never gone to school with Chun.

“If I buy a toy for his baby would you be able to deliver it for me?” questioned Ella.

“Sure, why wouldn’t I?” Selina said.

+++

Chun sat on the couch with Deshi silently. He’d only cried once on the way home and hadn’t cried again.

Chun patted his as he said, “You little fatty.”

Deshi gave Chun a questioning look and Chun laughed. Chun pressed the palm of Deshi’s hand on his hand so his fingers sprawled out.

“Your hands are so small how will they grow big enough for you to be able to hold Selina’s hands?” Chun asked. “Tell me kid why do you like that girl? Hmm?”

“Daddy I just like her,” Chun made his voice high and quiet like a baby’s in the place of Deshi.

“Oh really?” Chun asked as himself now then he chuckled. “There’s no way you’ll be able to date her. You’re twenty years younger boy!”  

Chun let out a loud sigh and listened to the silence in the room.

“She should have cooked for us,” Chun said and sat up. “Guess I’ll have to eat ramen and you’ll have to go back to the bottle.”