~Search 27

Where I Found You

+++

Ella stared at her clock for the last thirty minutes of her job. When she finally checked out Ella sat in her car gathering her courage. She had made her final decision to meet Chun that afternoon after work. Even if Calvin’s appearance that morning had seemed to throw her off track Ella had tried her best not to think of him. Putting her car into gear Ella made her way to Chun’s apartment. Luckily earlier she made a call to the Day Care center and gotten Chun’s address from Genie. She was sure Genie would remember her and luckily she was right. Ella parked her car by the street and made her way into the building. She took the stairs and slowly made her way up. She’d already gone through what she had wanted to say a hundred times already. Looking at the small piece of paper with Chun’s address again Ella stopped in front of his door. She rung the bell a few times, but no one came. Ella then tried knocking.

“Anyone home?” Ella asked.

No answer. Ella then wondered if she had gotten the right address again.

“Who are you?” an old man asked walking down the hall with a shopping bag.

Ella guessed he must have returned from the mart.

“By any chance do you know if Chun is home?” asked Ella.

“He’s been out since morning. I can tell him you’ve stopped by,” the old man said.

“Oh…thanks,” Ella thanked then turned around and made her way down the stairs hoping the old man wouldn’t think too much of her.

Where did Chun go? Wasn’t it about time Chun was home with Deshi?

When Ella got back home she made tea for herself and was just beginning to relax from the painfully straining day. The ringing of the doorbell made her rise up from the couch. She opened the door to find Calvin standing there once more. To her surprise Calvin had a bag with him.

“Can I come in?” Calvin asked.

Ella stared up at him and giving in she allowed him to step in.

+++

 It had begun to rain lightly when Hebe finally got back. Since they lived in a better environment the apartments were pricier the apartment building was armed with two elevators on each floor. Hebe took one up and was just thinking about how she would deal with Ella’s temper when she got home. Hebe was expecting a lecture from Ella that evening, but however when she got to their floor Hebe stopped in the hallway. She was sure she’d seen Ella opening the door for Calvin. Why was he back? Did they make up already? Hebe took a step forward then stopped herself. She quickly turned around figuring she’d give Ella and Calvin some more time together. Ever since the engagement Ella did seem a little off without Calvin around.

Hebe stopped in front of the doors and brushed her hair with her hands. What would she do? What was there to do? She raised her eyebrow surprised that such an idea would come to her.

+++

Selina stared out of the window. Where was Chun? Had he gone back home?

“It’s raining a lot,” the manager said as he walked toward Selina.

“Yea it is,” Selina agreed.

“The rain’s probably going to get heavier later,” the manager told, “why don’t you go home early today?”

“Already? What if more customers come in?” Selina asked.

“They’d all be more likely to be staying inside their warm homes,” the manager said.

Finally convinced Selina grabbed her purse and stepped outside of the shop. Before going further Selina looked around for any sign of Chun. She hoped he was still not in the rain somewhere. The only thing she had missed looking at was the front of the store. Chun had been sitting on the ground the whole time.

“Are you looking for me?” Chun asked.

Selina turned back in surprise then turned back. How did she miss seeing him? She felt like an idiot at almost giving herself away. She still wanted to show him her angry side, yet she had been so worried about him because of the rain.

“I’m not looking for anyone,” Selina lied. “I was just wondering if there were any taxis around.”

Chun smiled at her lie then extended his hand out.

“I was feeling tired so I decided to sit down then I fell asleep. Sorry I should’ve put more effort into waiting,” Chun told.

Selina stared down at him. She felt sorry to see him in that state. Selina turned around. Her heart ached and she yearned to let out some tears. How come Chun didn’t understand her? Why couldn’t he just give one more week of time? Why did he have to come around and be so pitiful that she almost couldn’t take it? Selina didn’t say anything nor did she turn back around to look at him.

Chun didn’t sigh nor did he feel bad. He knew Selina was still angry at him and couldn’t forgive him yet. He knew she would have wanted to be alone, but one week of being away from her was too much for him to bear. Chun pulled his hand back and pushing against the ground made his way up. His head felt dizzy and he felt like falling forward.

“Selina,” Chun called out her name.

Selina however did not turn around. She felt her bottom lips quiver. What was wrong with her? She wanted to turn around and hug him, but that would be hurting herself too.
In the end Selina turned around and their eyes locked for a moment.    

“Just go back home before you get sick,” Selina told then pressed her lips together, “get lost ok? I told you I don’t want to see you.”

With that Selina turned around and walked away through the pouring rain. Chun watched as Selina hurried away. His heart pounded with hurt. How would he get her back if she kept being like that?

+++

Chun walked up the stairs gripping the railing to keep his balance. When he reached his floor an old man closed his door then rushed toward Chun.

“You’re back,” the old man said. “There was a woman looking for you.”

Chun’s eyes opened up. Could it have been Selina? But how could she had made their before him?

“Her hair was kinda short like a boy’s. I think she wanted to talk to you,” the old man told.

Chun frowned to himself. Who would come looking for him?

When the door opened Genie turned around.

“Where were you? Oh God you’re all drenched,” Genie said covering as if afraid of him. “Do you want some warm water or anything?”

Chun shook his head, “Where’s Deshi?”

“Sleeping,” Genie replied.

“Ok. Thanks a lot,” Chun told then headed toward his bedroom.

“Are you sure you’re ok?” asked Genie.

Chun nodded, “You can go now.”

With that Genie left. Chun cuddled up with the blanket on his bed and closed his eyes. He just wished Selina would come back. He wanted her to take care of him again.

+++

Jay eyed Hebe as he neared her. He walked behind her, tapped her shoulder, and quickly ran to the opposite side. Hebe turned around and didn’t see anyone. Frowning she turned back to stare straight out of the window.

“What’s up?” asked Jay.

Hebe turned to him and knocked her forehead against his.

“Ow!” they both screamed.

“Are you stupid?” Jay questioned.

“Excuse me! Who was the one to play that dumb trick first,” Hebe shouted rubbing her forehead and turned around heading over to a table.

Jay followed her and sat down.

“Why’d you call me out?” asked Jay.

“What’s wrong with doing that? You’ve been dragging me here and there,” Hebe pointed out.

Jay made a face at her, “It isn’t that you like me do you?”

“Oh please,” Hebe snorted.

Jay stared at her and turned away.

“A coffee and ham sandwich,” Hebe told.

“Just tea please,” Jay said to the waitress.

The waitress nodded and walked off.

“Are you on a diet or something?” Hebe asked then repeated, “just tea please.”

“Are you making fun of me?” Jay asked.

“Are you threatening me?” Hebe retorted.

Jay made a face and sat back in his chair.

“Did you order me out just to bully me?” asked Jay.

“Lets see who’s bullying who,” Hebe snapped.

“Are you experiencing PMS or something?” asked Jay.

“What?!” Hebe said.

“Well…you’ve been so obnoxious and getting mad all day,” Jay stated.

“No I haven’t. Since when have I been doing that?” Hebe asked her voice rising.

“If you are then just tell me. That way I’ll ignore everything you say,” Jay told.

“It’s not a crime to have PMS!” Hebe shouted then glanced at the nearby people staring at her.

Hebe smiled and apologized quickly.

“Are you trying to embarrass us?” Jay asked biting his lower lip.

Hebe made a face at him and enlarged her eyes in a threatening way.

“Nothing is wrong with me,” Hebe said making each word long.

“Fine. Geez,” Jay said.

When their food arrived they ate through silence. As Hebe bit on her sandwich she could see Jay’s eyes following her every now and then.

“What you want some?” Hebe asked.

She then smiled and held out the sandwich to Jay. He stared at her and reached for it, but before he could get it Hebe quickly pulled it back and laughed.

“Very funny,” Jay commented.

“It is,” Hebe said picking at the bread, “if you wanted one why didn’t you order one?”

Jay snorted, “I was afraid you wouldn’t be able to pay the bill.”

“If you ordered the bill would be on you,” Hebe told, “either way I wouldn’t let you eat.”

Hebe quickly gobbled up the sandwich and got up grabbing her purse. Jay watched as she got up and drunk the rest of his tea.

“When you leave you’re supposed to tell me you’re leaving,” Jay called after her.

Hebe made a face and opened the door. It was drizzling now so she went to stand under the window tent outside. Hebe stared at the darkened sky. Was God telling her to go ahead and cry? Her heart felt incredibly heavy. After Selina had left she’d been feeling a sort of helplessness. Even Ella was beginning to make her feel useless. There had been nothing she could do for them. She felt so sad seeing them in pain and the loneliness that she slept with every night was beginning to taunt her.

“Hmm? Are you crying?” asked Jay leaning toward her.

Hebe quickly turned toward Jay and made a face.

“No. The rain got on my face,” Hebe lied. “And because you’re so annoying I don’t know what to do.”

“Liar,” Jay said with a laugh. “You’re too tough to be a girl.”

“And you’re a sissy?” Hebe questioned.

Jay made another face, “But it’s ok. I find you cute sometimes.”

Hebe felt herself freeze. Never once in her life had a guy told her that.

“Yea right,” Hebe said turning away.

“No really. The cutest thing about you is your stomach,” Jay laughed.

“Shave your mustache then you laugh,” Hebe told.

“I don’t have one,” Jay retorted.

He stared at her for a while. Hebe frowned back at him.

“What do you want?” Hebe questioned.

Jay laughed as he reached his arm out toward her in attempt to tickle her.

“What are you doing? Stop it!” Hebe shouted as she hugged her arms around herself.

She stopped laughing when she felt Jay’s arm lock all the way around her. She could feel Jay stop as he became conscious of it too. Hebe quickly pushed him away and they stood in their own places feeling embarrassed.