~Search 12

Where I Found You

+++

“Don’t you look happy?” Genie asked pinching Deshi’s cheek.

He gave her a bored look then leaned against Chun’s chest.

“He was a little angry this morning,” Chun told.

“Really? Maybe he wants Selina,” Genie said.

Chun seemed to stiffen up because he didn’t reply.

“You two have been getting along fine these days haven’t you?” Genie asked. “She disappeared yesterday. She must have been with you right?”

Chun didn’t reply but smiled, “Glad you didn’t have Deshi to take care of yesterday?”

“I don’t mind. Selina’s going to watch him anyway,” Genie replied jokingly. “I don’t get why you teach him to hate everyone.”

“Deshi was born to hate,” Chun replied.

Genie laughed in remark then the door opened.

“Morning Selina!” Genie shouted.

Chun turned to look at her then turned away quickly. Selina pressed her lips together as she made her way toward them.

“Hi Deshi,” Selina greeted.

“I’ll see you later,” Chun told then left.

Selina turned to watch him leave feeling confused. Why was he giving her the vibe that seemed as if he wanted to ignore her?

+++

Chun backed out of the lot and headed into the streets. He wanted to get as far from Selina as possible. Why was it every time he was near her he wanted to get closer and closer? He couldn’t allow that to happen as long as Jiro liked her.

+++

A little after 9 as promised Ella arrived with a bag. She found Selina sitting in one of the rooms with Deshi and some other babies.

“Hey Selina,” Ella greeted with a smile.

Selina smiled back. “I was wondering when you’d come. Deshi come here.”

“Deshi?” Ella asked.

“Yep, that’s his name,” Selina told.

Ella thought for a moment coming to the conclusion that Chun had changed his name. She felt a sting of pain hit her and had to turn away from Selina for fear that tears would arise in her eyes.

“You brought the outfit I bought right?” Selina questioned.

“Yes,” Ella replied.

Ella reached into the bag and grabbed out the toy.

“Here Deshi,” Ella told as she attempted to take Deshi into her arms and not surprisingly he let out a loud cry. “Why are you crying? Don’t like me?”

Ella felt the motherly sense come to her for the first time. She actually felt like being his mother. She tried to comfortingly shake him in her arms, but it was useless.

“Selina what are you doing?” a girl nearby questioned sounding annoyed.

“Sorry,” Selina apologized. “Ella…”

Ella seemed reluctant and Selina found that strange. Finally Selina took Deshi out of Ella’s arms holding him. Ella listened as Deshi soon stopped crying and immediately felt jealous that his son would pick a total stranger over his own mother.

“That better?” Selina questioned.

A small surge of anger went through Ella. She was about to protest, but someone from behind spoke.

“I had a hard time finding you,” it was Jiro.

Ella turned around and their eyes met. Jiro could feel a shot of shock and surprise hit him. They stared at each other for a long time.

“Ella this is my friend Jiro. Jiro this is my friend Ella,” Selina introduced.

Jiro gulped before saying, “Hi…Ella.”

Ella turned away to look at Selina, “I’ll be going now.”

“Drive safely,” Selina told.

Jiro watched as Ella gathered her purse and hurried out, “I’ll be right back.”

Jiro hurried after Ella and stopped her outside.

“It’s surprising to see you still around,” Jiro told.

Ella paused in her tracks, but did not turn around.

“Don’t you think this is all too coincidental?” questioned Jiro. “Have you bumped into Chun yet?”

Ella did not reply.

“I hope you know better than to try to go near him again,” Jiro told. “It was hard for him trying to raise Deshi, but luckily he ran into Selina.”

Ella spun around, “What do you want?!”

Jiro smiled, “I’m just hoping you won’t go near Chun again. You weren’t ready for anything.”

Ella bit her lip, “This is none of your business.”

With that Ella stomped off.

Jiro returned and found Deshi sitting on Selina’s lap. He figured he should dig some information off of her.

“Hey,” Jiro greeted.

“Where’d you go?” Selina asked.

“Nothing,” Jiro told. “So…how long have you known your friend?”

“Who? Ella?” Selina asked.

Jiro nodded.

Selina thought for a moment, “We were primary school classmates. After that I moved to Hong Kong.”

“So you’ve known her for quite a long time huh?” Jiro asked.

Selina nodded, “She’s cool and really nice.”

“So do you know about everything that…has happened to her?” Jiro asked.

Finding it strange that Jiro was asking her Selina questioned, “Why do you want to know?”

“I was just wondering,” Jiro shrugged, “if I know more about her maybe I’ll ask her out.”

“So do you find her attractive?” Selina questioned.

“Sure…why not,” Jiro told then thought he would have found her attractive, but those thoughts had gone a long time ago.

“Um…well. She had a few boyfriends, but they all weren’t any good,” Selina told.

“Why’s that?” Jiro asked.

“They cheated her,” Selina replied. “After that I don’t remember her dating anymore. Well…not until she met Calvin a while ago and they’re getting engaged in a few weeks.”

“Calvin? She’s getting engaged?” Jiro questioned.

+++

Ella could feel her hands get sweaty. Clutching onto the steering wheel she pulled over to the road side. She was breathing heavily. Jiro…she’d met him once again. Would he say anything to Chun that she’d gone to visit Deshi? Would Chun get angry? Would he do anything serious? Ella felt afraid yet she was glad she’d been given the chance to reunite with her son again. Thinking about it she felt angry with Selina. She couldn’t help, but think that Selina was trying to steal everything away from her.

+++

Chun got off work in the late afternoon and drove back to the day care. He found Selina and Jiro sitting together with Deshi. He felt a sting of jealousy, but dismissed it and walked over to them.

“Daddy’s here,” Chun said as he picked Deshi up from the ground spinning him in the air.

“I got a new outfit for him and a toy,” Selina told taking the bag from the ground and handing it to Chun.

Chun grabbed it muttering thanks and turned to Jiro.

“You coming over?” Chun questioned.

“I was planning to anyway,” Jiro told. “I’ll meet you there in five.”

With that Chun turned around and began to walk away.

“Bye Selina,” Jiro said and followed Chun out.

Selina had been expecting a bye from Chun, but guessed it wasn’t coming. Was he ignoring her?

+++

Chun set down the bag in Deshi’s bedroom and got him to fall asleep after thirty minutes. He went back out and found Jiro rustling about. Chun guessed right away that he had something on his mind.

“What’s up?” Chun questioned sitting down.

“I’ve been dying to tell you,” Jiro told.

“Then say it,” Chun advised.

“I met Ella today,” Jiro began.

Chun turned away as if resenting Jiro.

“She was at the day care,” Jiro finished.

Chun turned toward Jiro with fiery eyes.

“Don’t think I invited her,” Jiro told.

“What was she doing there?” Chun asked angrily.

“I don’t know…but she was with Selina.” Jiro replied. “You know…she’s Selina’s friend…”

Chun turned away.

“Have you met her?” Jiro asked.

“Yea…but I don’t want to talk about it,” Chun told.

“What…what if Ella wants you and Deshi back?” Jiro asked.

Chun hesitated with his answer, “That’s never going to happen and I’m not forgiving her for sure.”

“Then…what about Selina?” Jiro asked.

Chun turned back to Jiro his eyes calming down a bit, “Why are you asking me about her?”

Jiro shrugged, “Never mind then.”

They went silent for a while then Jiro jumped toward Chun.

“What if…what if Ella wants to start a new life….” Jiro began.

“A new life?” Chun repeated.

Jiro pressed his lips together debating on whether he should tell Chun about Ella getting engaged or not.

“Never mind,” Jiro told smiling a little then got up. “Want some food?”

+++

Selina sat at the table while Hebe brought over a cake she’d bought home. Everything seemed so confusing to her. Why had Chun’s attitude changed all of a sudden? Why was Ella being so strange? The more she tried to piece it together the more questions appeared in her mind.

“There you go ma’am,” Hebe told sliding the plate under her nose.

Selina took the plate and put it down in front of her, “Do you know what’s wrong with Ella?”

“What’s wrong with Ella?” Hebe asked taking a bite of her cake.

“She came into my room last night,” Selina told then explained to Hebe about the conversation.

“Maybe Ella’s feeing unwell…or maybe she’s having a baby!” Hebe told.

Selina frowned, “Wouldn’t she be getting big?”

Hebe shrugged, “How am I supposed to know.”

“You work at a nursing home,” Selina rolled her eyes, “you should at least be making some trips to the hospital once in a while right?”

“If I work at the nursing home I just stay at the nursing home alright?” Hebe told. “I take care of old people not pregnant people.”

“Whatever,” Selina sighed.

She felt bored. She figured by now she’d be at Chun’s taking care of Deshi. Was Chun feeling better?

+++

Chun lay in bed in the dark silently. He was supposed to be taking a nap, but that nap wasn’t coming. He listened to Jiro baby talk to Deshi. Chun felt calm knowing that Jiro was there to keep Deshi company, but it wasn’t that same kind of calm he felt when Selina was there. What if Jiro did something carelessly? What if he fell asleep and left Deshi alone? What if…what if…

Chun turned so that he was facing the wall. Why was he degrading Jiro? Why was he always thinking about Selina? The reason behind that bothered him so much because he couldn’t think of an explanation that he could accept. He thought back to Jiro’s strange questions. Why had he asked about Selina? What about Selina? Chun blinked in the darkness. Jiro was single. Selina was single. They were both hardworking people. They were both good looking. They were outgoing and kind enough to watch Deshi for him. He figured Selina shouldn’t be stuck with someone like him. Who would want their daughter to be with a single dad? He would be no good for Selina. She would only be burdened by Deshi. He would think of a way to get Jiro and Selina together.