~Search 3

Where I Found You

“Just to a friend’s house,” Selina said over the phone.

Hebe was on the other line. She was also Selina’s ride back home and to work.

“So don’t come pick me up. I’ll find a way home. Alright don’t worry,” Selina said then hung up.

“Friend?” Chun repeated.

“Well what am I supposed to say? A man’s house? What man? What relation? You definitely aren’t my boyfriend,” Selina told.

“Who’d want to have you?” Chun asked. “Stealing other people’s babies.”

“Hey! What do you mean by that?” Selina questioned. “It’d also be bad luck for a person to end up with you. As if you’re so great.”

“A little jealous aren’t you?” Chun said.

“Jealous?” Selina repeated. “There’s nothing to be jealous about.”

Chun snorted, “That more girls come after me than guys go after you.”

“Oh please,” Selina said, “I don’t need those kinds of troubles. A calm, tiring life is enough.”

Selina glanced back to see Deshi sitting still in his baby chair. It had taken a few minutes to be able to pry Deshi off her.

Selina rode with Chun up the elevator up to his apartment. The place didn’t seem so expensive yet it wasn’t so cheap either. She waited behind Chun as he unlocked the door and led her in. It surprised her to see that it was pretty clean.

“You’re the first guy I know that cleans,” Selina commented.

“Did you expect beer bottles?” questioned Chun.

“I don’t know,” Selina answered.

Chun glanced around a bit as if wondering what to do next. He noticed that Selina was the first girl he’d led into his apartment. Should he feel nervous? Nah, Selina was just like a baby sitter wasn’t she?

“Do you have food?” Selina asked.

“Some but not a lot,” Chun told. “Why? You’re hungry?”

“I worked all day and I only ate a candy bar.” Selina told.

“I don’t cook a lot at home,” Chun stated.

Selina turned from the refrigerator to look at Chun, “Well it’s about time you taste home cooked food again. I’ll gladly do the honors.”

“I didn’t ask you to so what’s with taking the honor?” Chun questioned.

Selina rolled her eyes, “Never mind. Your daddy’s so poor even I have to pity him.”

Chun shook his head and went into his room. Selina turned around making herself feel at home. She sat Deshi at his high chair and hummed to herself as she began to prepare everything.

Chun sat at his desk in his room and glanced back into the kitchen. He was glad he’d be able to get some free food. He was also happy that Selina was able to keep Deshi thrilled no matter what. He also felt happy for some other reason he wasn’t able to bring out. The corner of his lips seemed to be pulled up by some source of energy as he smiled.

After about thirty minutes Selina had the kitchen sizzling with the smell of food. Saliva was pouring down Deshi’s chin as he laughed.

“I swear you’re going to be twice as hot as your father Deshi,” Selina said with a smile poking Deshi’s cheek.

“And your cheeks are twice the size of his,” Chun commented as he sat down at the table.

“Does that mean I’m twice as cute?” Selina questioned.

“Just as cute as a pig,” Chun teased.

Selina bit her bottom lip and turned around promising herself she would get him later.

After setting the table with a variety of food Selina sat down. Chun watched as Selina cut the food into small bite size pieces and place them in front of Deshi. Eagerly he picked at them and dropped them back onto the plate. He squealed in delight.  

“Oh come on you.” Selina said. “Playing with food is bad.”

Chun turned to his food and made himself busy.

Suddenly remembering Selina asked, “Where’s your wife? We should set another plate for her and after that I’ll leave.”

“Don’t need to,” Chun said quickly in a strict matter of fact tone.

“Why?” Selina asked.

Chun gulped before answering, “Deshi’s mother left us a long time ago so she doesn’t exist anymore.”

Selina found herself in a blank state of mind. What should she say? Now she was really alone with just a man. Should she be nervous now? Nah, he had a baby.

“Sorry,” Selina apologized.

“Lets just forget it,” Chun told.

They were silent for the rest of the meal and at the end Chun finally spoke, “Why don’t you do me a favor tonight?”

“Huh?” Selina asked.

“Babysit Deshi for me while I go to work,” Chun told.

“But didn’t you just come back from work?” asked Selina.

“You don’t have a curfew do you?” questioned Chun. “You live with your parents?”

“Not exactly…” Selina began.

“It’ll just be a few hours,” Chun told.

Before Selina could say anything Chun already turned away and went into his room to change into rusty jeans and a t-shirt.

“You’ve to be kidding right? My friends will kill me,” Selina told.

“They’re not your parents,” Chun told. “I’m sure you’re an adult. I’ll be back in a few hours.”

Chun grabbed his jacket and left through the door. Selina felt helpless. Why in the first place did she agree to come to his place anyway? What was she doing there? She wasn’t anybody to him. Hebe and Ella would kill her if they knew she was at a stranger’s place. Selina turned to look at Deshi and pointed to him accusingly.

“It’s all your fault,” Selina said.

Deshi looked back at her seemingly confused. He jumped up and down in his chair and laughed.

Selina sighed again.

+++

Chun stepped into his car and started the engine. He looked up to the window that should be his apartment. He needed to find someone to babysit Deshi and he found just the right person. Just looking at Selina he knew she would never leave Deshi alone for even a minute. She just seemed like that kind of a person though he felt sorry for being a little rough on her, but figured she would be able to live with it. He found himself thinking how bizarre of an idea it was that he’d left a complete stranger alone in his apartment. Yet, he knew Selina had her morals and she wouldn’t do anything bad. That was how he wanted Ella to be.