~Search 30

Where I Found You

+++

Selina laid her head back in efforts to calm herself down. She felt miserable. It had taken up all of her energy to say those words to Chun without letting a tear out or letting her voice shake.

“Where to miss?” the taxi driver questioned.

Selina didn’t reply as she was too deep into her thoughts.

“Miss?” the taxi driver called again.

“Huh?” Selina replied turning toward the driver.

“Where to?” the taxi driver questioned.

“Just drive around for a bit,” Selina ordered then stared out at the streets they were passing.

She needed to let go. Chun was already moving forward. When he was forgetting her couldn’t she even try once to forget him too? Selina realized she was pathetic for letting herself fall again. How would she live the rest of her life in her own torment?

+++

Ella placed the bag containing the congee that Selina had made on the table in the kitchen and made her way towards the door. Before leaving she didn’t miss seeing the bedroom in which Deshi lay sleeping. Ella took her time heading for the room and toward the crib. Seeing Deshi so deeply asleep made her want to smile and cuddle him. Ella gently rubbed his fat cheeks with her forefinger and smiled when Deshi turned his head to the other side.

“Daddy didn’t fail in taking good care of you,” Ella said, “grow up to love him well. You’re going to be a sweet boy. I can tell you’re going to be very handsome when you grow up.”

Ella smiled as she gently leaned against the railings of the crib. Sad emotions flooded over her. She had missed so much in raising him and there was so much to regret about the things she’d done. Ella quickly pushed aside her feelings and smiled to herself in hopes of feeling better. Feeling sad would only throw her into torturing herself and she didn’t need that. Even if Chun would never say a thing to Deshi at least she would always know that he was her child, her son. Chun would raise him up well without her. Ella turned around ready to leave, but stopped surprised to see Chun standing by the doorway with a statue-like pose. His hands were by his side and his face held a mix of emotions. It took a second for Ella to be able to recollect herself.

“I…just wanted to see him once,” Ella told.

Chun didn’t budge.

“Did you plan on having Selina over?” Ella questioned. “Sorry because I didn’t know. You two could’ve had some time together.”

Why were they apologizing to him? It made him feel even worse.

“Lets be friends the next time we meet. Maybe things will work out and Selina will be alright. You’re going to need some time to pull yourself together before then and get better. I’ve put Selina’s food on the table for you. Before I leave I want to say Selina needs someone to lean on,” Ella said. “I think you’ll be a reliable person for her.”

With that Ella passed Chun and walked out with the door lightly closing behind her.

+++

Jiro was supposed to be relaxing his mind as he strolled through the city, but why was it that he was feeling more suffocated? Feeling suppressed Jiro stopped in a café to enjoy something to drink and rest for a bit. Bothered with thoughts about Deshi and Chun Jiro made his way toward Chun’s place.

Chun didn’t look happy or sad when he opened the door for Jiro.

“Are you feeling better?” Jiro questioned.

“Yea,” Chun replied then went to sit down on the couch where he’d placed a comforter.

“Did you eat? Do you want something to eat?” asked Jiro.

“I ate,” Chun said.

“Then are you thirsty?” Jiro continued with his questions.

“Is there something you want?” Chun asked.

Jiro shook his head. They were quiet. After having stayed for a bit and making sure Chun was feeling better Jiro made his way back to his apartment. As he walked toward the doors he met up with Selina by the elevators. They found themselves sitting on the benches near the flower fields out back a while later.

“There’s a saying that friends are able to tell each other anything,” Jiro started off as he stared ahead, “I feel disappointed in myself because I’m not able to do that.”

Selina remained silent.

“I’ve confessed to you before, but I don’t think it matters now. I believe that you’ll be able to find the strength somewhere within yourself to forgive both Chun and Ella.” Jiro told still not turning to look at Selina. “I’ve been feeling trapped these few nights and it’s not hard to come to the conclusion that I don’t belong in this picture.”

“Are you going somewhere?” asked Selina.

“No,” replied Jiro, “the people I care about most are here and I’m not going to run away from them. I’m just separating myself from you. Between you and me I want it to be that there was never anything between us both, but a special bond between a man and a woman as friends.” Jiro paused then continued, “You and Chun should start making up your minds now.”

With that Jiro got up and walked away without turning back. Selina watched as he disappeared into the building. An empty feeling resided in her.

+++

Finally after an hour of crying Deshi had finally fallen asleep on Chun’s bed. Chun sat on the ground staring at his son as he adjusted the blanket covering Deshi. It had made him feel sad to see Ella gently caressing Deshi’s face with her fingers. Would he be able to bring himself to tell Deshi who his real mother was when he would be old enough to understand? Chun figured he wouldn’t be able to keep anything a secret forever. Even the hidden identity of Deshi’s mother was found out. Would Chun be able to get over his leftover feelings for Ella? Would he be able to bring Selina back?

+++

Hebe got up early and walked out into the kitchen to find Ella cooking. When she noticed Hebe she turned around with a genuine smile.

“Good morning!” Ella greeted.

“Did something go well for you?” Hebe questioned.

Ella just smiled in reply then placed a dish in front of her.

“Is this a restaurant?” asked Hebe. “This looks like a dish from a restaurant.”

“Calvin taught me how to make this,” Ella told.

Hebe couldn’t help but arch her eyebrow, “Are you two back together?”

Ella just continued with her smile.

“Can you stop that?!” Hebe demanded. “Will you just answer me?”

“I can’t help it,” Ella shrugged, “I feel pumped up right now.”

“You do don’t you?” asked Hebe. “Ok so tell me why you aren’t moping this morning.”

Ella continued with her smile which Hebe had to turn away from.

“We’ll most likely end up seeing each other again,” Ella said, “I saw both Selina and Chun yesterday.”

“They’re back together?” Hebe asked almost excited.

“Selina ran out before I could fix the misunderstanding,” Ella told, “but I’ve said what I wanted and I even saw my baby.”

“Misunderstanding?” Hebe repeated.

“Chun was sick and she brought over congee,” Ella explained, “I had an argument with Chun, but who wouldn’t get angry with a person who had walked out on him? He’ll forgive me sooner or later.”

“You’re sure of that?” asked Hebe. “Then I wish you luck.”

“Eat quickly so tomorrow comes fast,” Ella told.

Hebe walked down the hall calmly slinging her purse over her shoulder then paused as she recognized Jay up ahead. A smile erupted on her face and she skipped up to him slapping his head as she went by. Jay let out a loud yelp.

“What was that for?” he asked.

“I’m in a good mood!” Hebe shouted as she ran out the doors.

+++

There was no Chun waiting for her at the store and Jiro hadn’t called her all day. Her manager had left the store on an errand and no customers had come in. Selina played with her fingers as she thought about Jiro’s words. So he wanted her to forgive Chun and Ella. It wasn’t as if she was holding a grudge against them it was just it didn’t feel right to look straight at them after all that had happened. Selina had seen them together yesterday and who knows whether they had gotten back together or not.

+++

Jiro had gotten off work early and headed over to Chun’s. He’d called Chun early in the morning to confirm that Chun hadn’t left. He had some things on his mind that he wanted to talk about.

“I see you’re finally taking my advice,” Jiro said. “You ought to be resting.”

Deshi was crawling all over the floor seemingly pleased with himself.

“I thought you were busy,” Chun told.

“There are some things that need to be said,” Jiro said. “I think this can be talked in front of the baby.”

Jiro turned to look Chun right in the eyes.

“I’ve been feeling sorry and guilty whenever I saw you,” Jiro started, “I’m sorry but I had no choice.”

Chun stared back at Jiro.

“I would have respected Selina’s decision when she asked me to keep quiet, but I feel you two are just tormenting yourselves and I don’t like to see either of you sad,” Jiro told. “I’m sorry I hid this from you.”

Chun just stood there silently.

“Selina has been staying in the apartment next to mine,” Jiro told. “It’s been a month and a half. You two should talk.”

Chun felt a wave of disappointment fly over him, but even so he wasn’t sure what he was feeling. He had something else on his mind that he desperately wanted to get rid of so he would be able to face his troubled feelings.

“Watch Deshi for me,” Chun randomly said and headed out.

+++

Ella had recently returned from work to her apartment. She was about to get some snacks to eat when the doorbell started ringing. Would Hebe be back? But why so early? When Ella opened the door she felt surprised to see Chun standing there. Chun stared at her so hard she thought she saw tears in his eyes. Before Ella could say anything Chun grasped her into his arms.  

“I missed you and I still love you,” Chun said as he held her for a moment then slowly let her go.

Ella stared back up at him then smiled slowly.

“I had continuous nightmares and I felt sorry sometimes,” Ella told. “But I couldn’t do the right things for you and you ended up doing it all by yourself. I already decided I can’t love you anymore. I’ve moved on and so have you.”

“I’ll tell him who his mother is,” Chun said, “and lets be friends. I think I’ll be able to stand being friends.”

“That’ll be nice, thank you,” Ella stared up at him.

+++

“You aren’t thinking about me are you?” asked Jay sitting across from Hebe. “You’ve been smiling all morning.”

“I’m happy because my friends will finally be rid of their problems soon,” Hebe told. “Lets go out.”

“Date?” Jay asked his eyes widening.

Hebe frowned at him, “No as in go out for food or something. Break is almost over and we’ve had nothing to eat.”

“Lets go out then!” Jay said getting up from his chair.

+++

Selina massaged the back of her neck as she climbed up the stairs. When she looked up from the ground she came to a pause. Was she seeing right? Or had she been thinking too much?

Chun paced back and forth in front of her door. It took a second for him to stop and realize that she was already there. Selina took a step back as Chun took a step forward. Noticing this Chun paused.

“Lets talk,” Chun said.

Selina stared at him unsure. Did she want to talk to him? Would she be alright talking to him? She stared at him for a minute then keeping her head down she walked pass him opening the door.

Chun glanced around as he walked in. It was very clean and everything seemed very organized.

“Why are you here?” Selina asked without looking at him.

“Lets go back,” Chun said.

Selina did not turn.

“It’s impossible to pretend that you’ve forgotten everything,” Chun told, “but it’s also impossible for us to deny that nothing ever happened.”

Selina pressed her lips together.

“I’ve tidied my feelings. I won’t keep Ella a secret anymore. When Deshi comes to the age where he can understand I’ll let him know who his real mother is,” Chun explained. “I waited for you to turn around, but you like being stubborn and didn’t.”

When Selina could make out the sounds of Chun’s footsteps coming near her Selina spun around.

“Aren’t you back with Ella?” Selina asked.

“I’ve already gotten over her,” Chun said. “I’m sorry I made rash decisions about not telling you anything. It’s been a month and a half I feel like I’m going to die if I don’t see you.”

Selina stared up at Chun with nothing to say. Chun moved forward to stand right in front of Selina and grabbed her arm. Before Chun could kiss her Selina pushed him away.

“You don’t have to love me because Deshi likes me,” Selina told. “You don’t have to show your feelings of gratitude with this.”

Chun smiled and pulled her closer.

“You’re not playing stupid are you?” he asked.

Selina’s blinked her eyelids rapidly as she felt his warm breath against her face.

“Lets get married,” Chun suggested before giving her a full kiss.

Selina gave both Hebe and Ella long hugs before letting them go.

“I’m going to miss you so much!” they all said together then laughed.

“Remember to write and send pictures,” Hebe said.

“Think of me often,” Ella smiled. “And take good care of Deshi.”

“I can hear that kid crying for you right now,” Hebe told.

“I’ll send you postcards too,” Selina told giving them a third hug then turned around to Chun who was shouting at her. “I gotta go now.”

They waved to each other before Selina turned around to enter the gates to the airplane. Hebe and Ella turned to each other then checked their watches.

“I’ve got a date with Calvin. I’ll see you later,” Ella told.

“I have to meet someone too. Wait for me! I need a ride!” Hebe shouted hurrying after Ella.

+++

Selina sat down on her seat and stared out the window.

“You’ve told your parents everything right?” asked Chun.

Selina nodded her head then turned to look out the window again then turned back to him.

She put her hand over his assuring, “They’re going to care more about the baby than you.”

In Hong Kong…

Chun stared at the large signs and buildings they passed by in the car.

“You grew up here?” Chun asked.

“Of course,” Selina told. “Just wait till you get to my house. It’s better than the streets.”

Chun eyed Selina then turned to look at Deshi who was silently sleeping in her arms silently smiling.

Chun was indeed surprised when they found themselves standing on the stairs of Selina’s huge mansion.

“It’s better than your apartment so lets just move here,” Selina joked.

Chun stared at her with his mouth dropped open.

“Selina! You’re here!” a loud voice shouted.

Chun watched as her family members hurried out of the house to crowd around them and Deshi. Chun seemed to have shook hands with 25 people. Looking at Selina he figured she was glad to have come home for a visit. He found himself running into a room with Selina holding his hand. The room was about the size of his whole apartment. There was a queen sized poster bed in the middle of the room with large drawers on both sides of the room with a large closet and mirror. Selina screamed and jumped onto the bed.

“This is paradise,” Selina mumbled to herself.

Chun walked over and laid down next to her.

“It feels nice,” he commented.

Selina turned to look at him then sat up so she was on her knees. Selina placed both her hands on his shoulders as if pinning him down and smiled like a tiger prowling on its prey.

“Shall we get a brother or sister for Deshi?” Selina asked.

Chun stared up at her blankly then rolled over pushing Selina underneath.

“Lets have a girl,” Chun told with a slick smile.

Selina felt happiness run over her as Chun kissed her. Selina pushed him over and laid against him.

“Shall we get married at the Day Care?” Selina asked.

“Why?”

“That’s where we first had our official conversation.”

“Official conversation? You mean it’s where I found you because of Deshi.”