~Search 16

Where I Found You

Selina followed Chun into his apartment.

“Put Deshi into his highchair,” Chun instructed.

Without complain Selina placed Deshi into his seat and turned around to see Chun searching through the fridge. Selina watched as Chun walked toward them with a small circular cake with a picture of Nemo on it.

“Happy birthday,” Chun told.

Deshi smiled back jumping up and down in his chair. Selina watched as Chun cut the cake and placed one on a plate in front of Deshi. Deshi poked the cake and giggled furiously.

“You dummy,” Chun mumbled and creamed Deshi’s face.

Deshi looked at him with an expression Selina couldn’t seem to interpret. The next thing she noticed was something cold against her cheek.

“Chun!” Selina screamed after realizing that Chun had creamed her.

Chun laughed loudly and started running as Selina grabbed a handful of the cake chasing after Chun. Selina continued chasing Chun until he turned around and she unintentionally bumped into him. Selina looked up at him and felt the chunk of cake fall onto the ground. Chun’s gaze seemed too intense for her and Selina’s mind went to a blank. Selina moved her hand that had the cake and smeared his face with the cream. Selina smiled broadly and turned around headed back into the living room. Selina sat on the couch wiping her fingers off on a piece of napkin she had grabbed. Chun came to sit next to her a moment later wiping his cheek with a napkin then turned to glance at her.

“I’ll help you wipe that off,” he offered.

Selina felt herself freeze slowly as Chun slowly dabbed at the cream on her cheek. He temperature was rising but refrained herself from becoming nervous. Selina turned slowly toward him and felt him stop at trying to wipe the cream off her cheek.

“It’s not Deshi’s birthday is it?” asked Selina.

Chun didn’t reply.

“He’s only fourteen months don’t you remember?” Selina asked. “And at least Jiro would be here to celebrate too.”

“Why are you bringing him up?” Chun questioned.

Selina felt herself gulp nervously as Chun inched toward her. She stared at his eyes that were nearly centimeters away from her trying not to raise her hopes that he would give her a kiss. Selina turned away and took a breath, but everything happened too fast. Chun grabbed her shoulders twisting her back and pressed his lips to hers. Selina could feel herself melt against him. She hoped it just wasn’t a dream and she’d wake up to hearing Hebe knocking on the door. Chun pulled back and stared at her.

He unmistakably said, “I like you.”

Selina felt more shocked as if she’d been hit by a car. The end of her lips curved into a smile and she gave him a quick peck. Chun smiled and gave her another kiss that she’d longed for. As another ten seconds passed by Deshi let out a loud squeal that threw them apart. The two turned back to see the cake on the edge of the table connected to the high chair. Deshi was reaching his arm out to grab it, but was unable to. Chucking Chun got up and pushed the cake toward Deshi.

“There you go kiddo,” Chun told.

Selina sat at a chair and started to eat the cake with her fingers.

“What do you think you’re doing?” Chun questioned.

“The cake’s ruined anyway,” Selina told. “You want some?”

“You’re cleaning the kitchen after you finish eating,” Chun ordered.

Selina bit her lip and threw a piece of the cake at him.

+++

Ella had been invited over to the Chen household to have dinner. They were sitting in the large dining room at the long table draped with white sheets. Dishes of various foods sat in front of them. Maids stood behind them waiting to be ordered around. Mrs. Chen spoke about how bad business was getting and asked Ella how the interior decorating business was going on. Calvin had cut in and asked to stop the talk about business since he just wanted to relax while having dinner.

“So have you two gone to look at rings for each other yet?” Mrs. Chen questioned.

“I forgot about it,” Calvin told.

“It slipped my mind too,” Ella told with no emotion whatsoever.

Did she really want to cancel the engagement? It was getting nearer and nearer.

“Rings are definitely important. It symbolizes possession. It wouldn’t be good if one of you two changed your mind right before the ceremony, so better to claim each other first,” Mrs. Chen told.

Ella felt her palms become cold and reached for her cup of water drinking it down quickly.  

“I know that mom,” Calvin said with a smile.

“I’m going to look at designs and flowers to decorate the hotel room would you like to accompany me Ella?” Mrs. Chen asked after sticking a thin piece of steak into .

“Oh…I’m not sure,” Ella replied. “When?”

“What about tomorrow? I’m going to be free tomorrow,” Mrs. Chen told.

“I trust that you’ll do a good job with the decorations,” Ella told. “I’ll be busy anyway.”

“Both of your tastes are the same so it should be fine,” Calvin commented.

Ella managed a small smile in reply. A few minutes later after eating dinner she was standing outside in the backyard staring at the sky. It was the first time in a while that she’d star gazed. Ella recalled she usually despised star gazing. At first she didn’t understand what was so good about it. Ella had always ended up rejecting Chun’s suggestion to go star gazing. Maybe it would have been romantic Ella finally thought.

“What’s the lady standing out in the cold for?” Calvin asked putting his jacket over her.

Ella looked at his big hand resting on her small shoulder. Calvin, also, didn’t understand what was so good about star gazing. Thinking back the two of them had a lot in common. That was what linked them together at first.

“Star gazing,” Ella replied.

“Stars huh?” Calvin said sounding bored.

Should she tell him now? Ella glanced at Calvin’s sharp face. He was so handsome always keeping his hair neatly trimmed and combed. His smile was one of a kind you’ll only find in the world.

“Calvin,” Ella began than stopped.

“What is it?” Calvin asked his voice soothing and soft.

Ella stared up at him. He had always been so kind toward her. They’d argued a few times and Calvin always ended up apologizing to her. He couldn’t bear the thought of losing her and she, at first, couldn’t bear the thought of losing him. He’d given her everything she needed. Could she really leave him now? Did it matter so much to be with Chun and Deshi again? Ella thought for a long time.

“Never mind,” Ella told then put her arms around Calvin leaning against his warm chest. “Never mind.”

Calvin took a deep breath and also put his arms around Ella.

“I can’t wait until we’re engaged. Then we’ll get married a few months after that and have children,” Calvin said slowly rocking her in his arms.

Children…that word seemed to haunt Ella as she squeezed her eyes shut. Calvin her hair as she pressed her head into his chest.

“We’re going to be together forever,” Calvin went on. “I love you more and you love me much, much more.” Calvin chuckled. “Remember we used to say that?”

And now only you love me more Ella thought. She wanted Deshi. She wanted her own child back in her arms. That was what she wanted.

+++

After eating dinner Selina and Chun watched a little bit of television then he started getting ready to go to work. Leaving Deshi with his toys Selina joyfully walked Chun to the door to send him off.

“Work hard,” Selina said with a smile.

“Yea, yea,” Chun replied.

He turned around pausing then turned back to face Selina.

“I forgot something,” he told.

Selina raised her eyebrow wondering what it was that he’d forgotten. Pulling Selina toward him he enveloped her in a tight hug. Selina’s face broke out into that of a shy smile.

“Watch Deshi,” Chun told, “I’ll be back.”

Selina nodded unable to form any words through . She closed the door after watching him walk down the hallway and let out a loud breath of happiness. She jumped up and down then ran over to Deshi.

+++

“I couldn’t do it,” Ella thought to herself, “but I want to do it.”

Ella stared up at the ceiling above her head and sighed.

+++

After bathing Deshi Selina had gotten him to sleep in his crib. She covered his small body with the blanket and walked out of his room to sit on the sofa. With happiness still burning in her she wasn’t able to sleep yet. Still full of energy Selina started to clean up the place a little. She searched through some books Chun had on a small bookshelf lined across the wall. Feeling bored Selina got up and stared into Chun’s room. Should she go in? Would it be like violating his privacy? But she was his girlfriend after all so maybe she possessed some rights to go in there.

Stepping into the room Selina glanced at the neatly made bed and switched on the light. There were two dressers at the foot of the bed and other drawers for files and such. Selina stepped over to the drawers wondering what Chun would keep in them. Maybe bills and Deshi’s medical stuff. Instead when Selina pulled out the drawer she saw a thick album that was ripped and had a bunch of scribbles on. Picking up the album and taking it out of the drawer Selina was able to observe more of the cover. Did someone try to burn it? What looked like had been rip were actually burn marks. Selina frowned and held it in her hands like a photo frame. Something slid out of it and landed on the ground. Selina bent down and picked up the photos that were paper clipped together. It was easy to recognize the only faces that were in the pictures. Ella and Chun. They seemed so happy and content like a young married couple, but as Ella had already clarified that they were just classmates Selina didn’t think much. As Deshi sent a wail Selina quickly stuffed the pictures back into the album and placed it back in the drawer and headed out turning off the light after her.

Falling asleep sometime after midnight Selina was awaked by Chun putting a blanket over her.

“You’re back?” Selina questioned.

“Just go to sleep,” Chun ushered.

Without retaliation Selina turned resting her head on her arm and fell asleep again. She woke up in the morning to the crying of Deshi. Rubbing her eyes and sitting up she could see Deshi refusing to be dressed by Chun. Lightly slapping her face Selina got up and pushed Chun aside taking Deshi’s clothes from him.

“Let the master show you how,” Selina told. “Come on Deshi.”

Still crying Selina patted his back then wiped his tears. Putting his pants on over his diaper Selina managed to also slip on his shirt over him.

“Like magic right?” Selina asked Deshi then turned to Chun. “You feed him.”

+++

Ella was already up and dressed. Yet, she sat still in front of the mirror staring back at herself. She was ready to go to work, but there was something she wanted to do beforehand. Realizing that even if it seemed like a hopeless idea and she’d get some bashing from Jiro she still wanted to do it.

+++

“You don’t need me to wait for you right?” asked Chun stopping in the parking lot of Selina’s apartment.

“You’re going to wait for me moron,” Selina told.

Chun smiled back and patted her head like a little kid.

“I was just joking,” Chun told.

Selina snorted and got out of the car. As expected Hebe and Ella had already left so the apartment was all hers. Selina took a quick shower and dressed putting some light make up on then left. Meeting Chun again in the parking lot they were off toward the Day Care.

+++

Genie kept her eyes glued on the door and a minute later it swung open letting the cool air in. She watched as Chun and Selina walked in together.

“Sorry for being late,” Selina apologized.

“Why’d you two come together?” Genie questioned. “You were late yesterday and the daddy was early. What is exactly with your schedules?”

“I’ll leave Deshi to you now,” Chun told giving Deshi to Selina.

Genie watched as Deshi settled in Selina’s arms silently and looked back at his father. Noticing Chun glance at her from the corner of his eyes with a quick smirk he moved in and gave Selina a quick kiss by her lips. Selina seemed startled, but Chun just smiled then waved, and walked out.

“What? Are you guys dating now?” asked Genie sarcastically.

Selina just smiled, “If you think so.”

“These people,” Genie muttered as Selina walked passed her. “When is it my turn to love?”

Jiro visited a little later that day. Hearing the good news from Selina he immediately congratulated her ignoring that beating pain in his heart. They talked for about 30 minutes when Jiro glanced at his watch.

“I have an appointment later I’ll have to hurry off now,” Jiro told.

“Already?” Selina questioned.

“I’ll come again tomorrow.” Jiro said then said with a smile. “You’ll be babysitting again tonight.”

Jiro could hear Selina laughing as he headed out. Before getting in his parking lot a figure standing nearby stopped him.

“Jiro,” Ella called.