~Search 4

Where I Found You

+++

“Oh my god!” Hebe said looking at the clock. “Selina’s got to be crazy for staying out this long.”

“Maybe she’s having another baby,” Ella joked.

“Don’t say that!” Hebe told. “Selina’s never out this late. What if something happened to her?”

“Like she was kidnapped?” asked Ella.

“Yes!” Hebe said jumping around the room.

“Oh please. Don’t worry she’s a grown up now,” Ella told. “She’ll be back by morning…possibly.”

+++

Chun got back at 2 in the morning. The light to the living room was still on and just as he thought Selina was still there. She was curled up on the couch asleep with Deshi in her arms reminding him of the night he’d fallen asleep there with Deshi. Chun gently took Deshi from her arms. Selina stirred a little, but returned to her slumber. After tucking Deshi into his crib Chun went to the closet to grab the blanket Jiro always used when he slept over and covered Selina with it.

The screaming wails, and crying that were coming from Deshi woke Selina up. Everything seemed unfamiliar to her then she suddenly remembered Chun asking her to stay and watch over Deshi. She jumped up from the couch and ran to see Chun struggling to clothe Deshi who had only a diaper on. He was standing on Chun’s bed tears running down his cheeks that seemed to be drooping. Chun looked frustrated and Selina felt messed up. She hadn’t taken a shower and hadn’t changed clothes. She really wanted to go home, but she also felt she couldn’t leave Chun with Deshi like that.

“Give me that,” Selina said taking the overall and shirt from Chun. “It’s ok.” Selina picked up Deshi and started to shake him.

Chun watched her wondering how she was able to quiet Deshi up so quickly and easily. He’d tried picking him up dozens of times and rocking him, but Deshi just kept on crying. Chun then figured it must be a girl thing.

Selina walked passed Chun and sat on the couch leaning her head back.

“I figure I’m never going to have a child ever,” Selina told. “He’ll probably be as bad as Deshi.”

Chun grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge.

“Deshi’s not that bad,” Chun told. “I think he’s attracted to woman already.”

“Wipe that smirk off your face,” Selina warned. “The other children aren’t this bad. I wonder what hidden traits you gave him.”

Deshi sat on her lap quietly and Selina began to dress him.

“There. That’s a good boy now,” Selina told patting his back gently. “It wasn’t so hard was it? I knew you were a good boy.”

Selina pinched his cheek and kissed him. Chun watched thinking that if only Deshi’s real mother was as affectionate toward him as Selina was.

A while later Chun stopped his car in front of the Selina’s apartment building.

“You sure you don’t need a ride?” questioned Chun.

“I’ll just meet you over there,” Selina told and got out of the car.

+++

To Selina’s relief Ella and Hebe were already gone for work. She went into the bathroom and took a long hot shower then blow dried her hair. Feeling better she changed into new clothes and did her make up. She recalled overhearing someone say, “A girl must always look good because she’ll never know when she’ll meet her Mr. Right.” Selina hoped that day would come soon. She was eager to fall in love and get married.

Selina grabbed a cab and headed for work. Inside she found Chun carrying Deshi having a conversation with Genie.

“Well looks like the sitter is here,” Genie announced.

Chun turned around to watch Selina approach them. Deshi gave a short cry of delight and reached his arms out as Selina stopped by them.

“I know you prefer me than your daddy,” Selina told. “He can’t even dress you in the morning.”

“You’ve been to Chun’s house?” Genie questioned.

Selina caught herself, “Uh…no! Chun told me about it.”

Selina laughed.

“Well…I’ll get going now,” Chun told.

Selina watched as Chun left then turned to see Genie eyeing her.

“It’s not what you think,” Selina said.

“Well of course I know you went to his house the other day,” Genie told, “you stayed all night? How was it? I wonder how a single father lives. Was his house clean?”

“Like any other house and it was amazingly clean,” Selina told then shook her head, “whatever.”

Genie smirked at Selina as she started to walk away.

A little after lunch the front doors of the Day Care opened and a tall man with nicely combed hair walked in. He was wearing a casual t-shirt with jeans and tennis shoes. Selina who had been sitting on the ground with Deshi beside her hadn’t noticed.

Genie entered the room and paused with surprise. Her crush since high school was standing right in front of her. How long had it been since she’d seen him? Just two days ago.

“Jiro!” Genie exclaimed.

Jiro turned with that handsome smile of his that made Genie want more. He waved and waited while she made her way over.

“Where’s Deshi?” asked Jiro. “Surprised I don’t hear anyone crying.”

“That’s because he found himself a girlfriend,” Genie told nodding toward Selina who was handing Deshi a block.

As Jiro’s eyes landed on her he observed her closely and decided he liked her immediately. He couldn’t deny the fact that she was overly attractive. Though he was known to be flirtatious he hadn’t bothered with any women after Ella.

“Girlfriend?” asked Jiro turning back to look at Genie.

Genie nodded, “Selina, Hebe’s friend. She moved here from Hong Kong not too long ago.”

“Genie there’s a phone call for you,” one of the other woman said.

Feeling disappointed Genie turned to Jiro and excused herself. After Genie left Jiro made his way toward Deshi and picked him up from behind. He didn’t make any noise but dropped the block Selina had handed him before. She turned to look at Jiro as he sat by her, Deshi on his lap comfortingly. Their eyes met for a split second then Selina looked away making Jiro wished she had not done so.

Selina glanced at Deshi first, “Wow, good boy you’re not crying.”

Selina reached for the block at the same time as Jiro and their hands touched. Surprised Selina pulled her hand back. Jiro gave her a small smile and handed the toy to Deshi. Selina watched as he baby talked to him and felt amazed that Deshi wasn’t crying. After spinning the block curiously around with his fingers Deshi dropped it again onto the ground.

“You want to play with your girlfriend again?” questioned Jiro lifting Deshi out of his lap.

Selina looked at him.

“Jiro,” Jiro told. “How long have you been here Selina? I haven’t seen you the other times I’ve been here.”

“You know my name?” asked Selina.

“Genie told me Deshi doesn’t cry anymore cause he’s found a girlfriend,” Jiro told.

Selina couldn’t help, but smile, “A few days ago I started. Do you work here too?”

“Maybe,” Jiro told.

“Maybe…” Selina repeated.

“Well…I work at a firm, but my grandma’s been sick so my uncle’s been running the firm for me. Since there’s nothing to do I come watch my friend’s baby,” Jiro clarified.

“Your friend?” Selina questioned then thought quickly. “Chun?”

Jiro’s eyebrows flew up, “So you know him.”

“Well…you could say something like that,” Selina said keeping her eye on Deshi who was crawling across the floor.

She also noticed how Jiro’s eyes flew back to her every few seconds.

“I never thought he’d have such an adorable little kid,” Jiro said, “he was always talking about traveling before starting a family, but I guess things took a turn for him.”

“I have a question to ask if it’s alright,” Selina told.

“What kind of question?” Jiro asked.

“Um…well…Chun said his wife left him a while ago…well…why?” Selina questioned.

“Oh that,” Jiro said then straightened up keeping his eyes locked with hers. “I’m not sure why…maybe she was frustrated. She regretted having the baby after a month or so.”

“How could a mother leave her child?” Selina asked turning to look at Deshi fumbling with the block.

“Don’t think too much of it. Personally if you talk to Chun about it he gets pretty angry,” Jiro told. “So try not to say anything about it.”

Selina nodded her head. She felt sad and sorry for Chun. She felt even sadder for Deshi. He would have no mother to grow up with. This world was cruel and Selina thought of how hurt he’d be to learn that his mother didn’t want him. Then Selina thought of how un-human his mother was to care only about herself. What about her child’s well being? Did she not care at all? How coldblooded it was to leave your baby behind! Did she not even regret leaving at all? She could have at least tried to stay in contact with the father and the baby!

The day went seemingly fast. The door opened and closed. Chun had already come to pick up Deshi, but his gave a shout of joy as he saw Jiro sitting there.

“I thought you weren’t coming back for a while,” Chun told.

“Well things changed,” Jiro told. “They told me to come back.”

Chun glanced at Selina then turned to Jiro, “Deshi didn’t cry did he?”

Selina thought Chun wanted to ask her a question but had quickly changed his mind.

They were standing outside under the warm sun fifteen minutes later. Selina waved to Deshi who sat obediently in his baby seat as Chun buckled him up. Chun closed the door and turned to Selina and Jiro.

“Do you have a ride?” Chun questioned.

Selina glanced around, “Yea, but I’m not sure if she’s coming.”

“I can give you a ride,” Jiro quickly suggested.

Selina and Chun turned to look at Jiro then Chun turned to look at Selina. As Selina returned Chun’s glance he quickly turned away.