~Search 26

Where I Found You

+++

Selina had gotten up later than usual and was rushing off to work. She came to a slow stop when she saw Chun waiting in front of the store. She let out an unbelievable laugh that he had come again.

“Don’t you have work?” Selina asked.

“I called in sick,” Chun told turning to look at her.

Selina ignored the sight of seeing the dark bags under his tired eyes. Again she wondered what he was thinking to come there again. Ignoring him Selina made her way into the store.

“Is he trying to drive me nuts?” Selina asked herself in a low whisper.

She laughed trying not to believe it as she turned to look out the window.

“You’re here,” her manager said.

Selina swung around quickly.

“Uh…yea. I sort of woke up late today,” Selina told.

+++

“Are you crazy?” Ella asked. “Calvin you have to be stupid to be thinking that. What would your mother say?” Ella bit her bottom lip then wiped away her tear. “Haven’t you thought about anything? What about my feelings in this matter?”

“Whatever I’m going to try to do now you’re going to ignore me anyway. My mom isn’t that mean Ella. I’m going to talk to her,” Calvin told standing up from his chair.

Feeling panicked and lost about the possibility of what may happen Ella ran in front of Calvin stopping him.

“No!” Ella shouted.

“What do you mean no? Just because of a mistake you shouldn’t have to hold it against yourself!” Calvin told. “If you want your son back I can try to be a good father to him too! I can treat him as my own!”

“I’m not talking about that!” Ella told. “You being his father doesn’t have anything to do with this!”

“Then what is it?” Calvin asked. “Are you going to try to run away?”

“What? No!” Ella exclaimed.

Ella turned away and took her hands off Calvin’s arm.

Ella took a breath, “Give it up. I’m not going to try to start this relationship again. Everything’s too late for an apology.”

“What are you talking about?” Calvin asked. “It’s never too late.”

“If I say it is then it is!” Ella bursted out in a scream.

Calvin looked at her half shocked.

“We’re both going to be late for work. Lets leave it here. I’ll come back later,” Calvin said slipping his shoes on and walked out.

As Ella heard the door close she sunk to the ground with her hands against her face. Loud sobs came out of her. What would Chun say? Would she ever get Selina back? Why did the situation had to get worse? Why did Calvin have to appear in front of her again? Why did he have to make everything so hard? Why was Calvin so reluctant to let things stay the way they were? Ella felt so frustrated with all the many possibilities.

+++

It was lunch time and Selina was eating a snack by the counter. She glanced out of the window to see Chun still standing outside. Did he have anything to eat?

“Why do you even worry? It’s his fault for being here,” Selina told herself.

A second later her hand phone rung.

“Are you busy?” it was Jiro.

“No, why?” Selina asked.

“Then I’m on my way to pick you up,” Jiro told.

“What?!” Selina exclaimed as she stood up from her stool. “Where are you?”

“I’m halfway there,” Jiro said.

Selina felt drop open.

“Wait, wait, wait, wait.” Selina said panicked then bit her bottom lip. “I lied…I guess we are a little busy today.”

“But you said you weren’t,” Jiro stated.

“There’s a customer coming in. I’ll talk to you later,” Selina told.

Selina closed her phone and took a breath of relief. What would she do if Jiro had met Chun outside? It didn’t matter much to her if they met, but what if Chun had found out Jiro knew where Selina was staying and they were meeting up? Chun would be furious obviously. Selina jumped as her phone rang again.

“Lets go for lunch anyway.” Jiro said. “I don’t feel like eating alone. If you’re busy why don’t you just meet me at the café?”

“Meet you?” Selina repeated.

“Be there in 45 minutes,” Jiro told then hung up.

“But…” Selina began.

She made a face and moaned then closed her phone. Why did he want to have lunch together so bad? What was so bad about eating lunch alone?

“I’m going out for lunch I’ll be back,” Selina called to her manager then grabbed her purse and opened the door.

Chun quickly turned to look at her as she walked passed. Again Selina avoided him.  

“Where are you going?” Chun asked following her.

“Lunch,” Selina replied then stopped. “Don’t follow me.”

“Why?” Chun asked. “If you’re going then we might as well eat together.”

“No!” Selina shouted turning around. “I don’t want to eat with you. Just go wherever you have to. I’m sick of you following me!”

Selina shot Chun a glare then turned back disappearing around the corner. Selina stopped halfway and turned back to make sure Chun hadn’t followed her.

“Is she going to meet someone?” Chun asked himself.

+++
 
Jay walked down the hallway with his hands stuck in his pockets and his tongue sticking out between his lips. He stopped halfway down the hallway and walked backwards then stopped. He glanced inside the room that had the door wide open. Hebe was standing inside staring out of the window with an unfolded bed sheet lying still in her hands. Wondering what was up with her Jay walked into the room.

“Hey,” Jay called knocking on the door.

Hebe turned around startled.

Immediately she frowned at him, “What’s your problem?”

“What’s my problem? What is yours?” Hebe asked as she began to fold the bed sheet.

“I see you’re day dreaming of someone aren’t you?” asked Jay.

Hebe didn’t answer, but rushed to finish folding the bed sheet. With Calvin suddenly appearing that morning she was worried about how Ella had taken the situation. Did they argue? Did Calvin come to demand Ella to pay half the bill for the damaged engagement? Hebe was beginning to feel stressed. Slowly she had been feeling worn down.

“I’m done with my work,” Hebe said and walked pass.

“Is she sick or something? She might as well be like a dead person,” Jay said to himself.

+++

Chun ran around the corner of the block as Selina entered the café. Chun quickly glanced around to make sure one more time that he hadn’t missed her. Taking a tired breath he continued down the sidewalk.

+++

Selina looked around for any sign of Jiro as she entered the café. Finally recognizing Jiro’s spunky hair Selina made her way over to his table.

“What made you want to eat out so bad today?” asked Selina taking a seat.

“I felt choked up inside the office,” Jiro said taking a sip of his beverage. “Sorry for taking you out on your manager. It must have been really busy today.”

“Huh? Oh…yea,” Selina said as the waiter placed a cup of water in front of her.

“I already ordered for both of us if that’s ok,” Jiro told.

“It’s fine,” Selina replied and couldn’t help, but glance out of the window.

Was Chun walking around looking for her?  

“Something wrong?” asked Jiro leaning across the table toward her.

“What?” asked Selina turning to look at Jiro.

He laughed and tapped her head, “You’ve been staring out the window for five minutes now.”

“Oh really? You’ve been keeping track of the time?” Selina asked.

“I was just kidding,” Jiro said.

“Oh…” Selina said giving Jiro a small smile.

What was wrong with her now? Why was her mind flying off?

As their sandwiches arrived Jiro said, “Lets enjoy our lunch.”

After lunch Jiro had given Selina a lift back to the store. Jiro turned to Selina in the middle of his sentence. Selina was staring out of the window and looked as if she hadn’t heard a thing he had said.

“Selina,” Jiro called again.

Selina still didn’t turn.

“Selina,” Jiro tried again then lightly tapped her shoulder.

Selina turned to him as if she had just been hypnotized.

“We’re here,” Jiro told.

“Oh…thanks Jiro,” Selina thanked. “Sorry. I’ve been out of it today.”

Jiro smiled in reply, “Try to come back earlier ok?”

Selina smiled and got out of the car. Selina waved as Jiro’s car went down the street and put her arm down as his car disappeared. She quickly looked around wondering if Chun had seen her with him, but Chun wasn’t anywhere to be seen. Pressing her lips together hoping she wasn’t feeling disappointment Selina went into the store silently.