~Search 5

Where I Found You

“Well…” Selina began then noticed Hebe’s car not too far away. “Nevermind. Guess my ride is showing up.”

“Oh…” Jiro said showing a disappointed smile, “then I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Selina smiled in return and turned to Chun. He didn’t say anything except walk toward his car and enter the driver’s seat. As Hebe’s car drove up to her Chun and Jiro were already out of sight. What was it? Something about Chun’s attitude then made her think she’d done something wrong.

“Are you getting in or not?” Hebe asked a minute later.

Selina turned away from the direction in which Jiro and Chun’s car had gone then opened the door and got in.

“Where were you last night?” questioned Hebe. “I stayed up for you until dawn.”

“Why’d you do that?” Selina asked buckling her seat belt as Hebe began to back out of the parking lot.

“Because of you. You always told me you were afraid coming back to find that no one was around so I stayed up so you wouldn’t be scared,” Hebe told.

“Oh right. Sorry,” Selina quickly apologized, but Hebe could tell from her tone she didn’t mean it.

“What’s on your mind?” Hebe asked. “You certainly aren’t paying attention to me.”

“Nothing,” Selina lied. “I was babysitting last night and fell asleep.”

“Babysitting? For the whole night?” Hebe questioned.

“Well…yea.” Selina told.

“You spent the night with a man?” Hebe asked loudly.

“No!” Selina shouted. “It was just me and the baby. I was babysitting. So only me and the baby.”

“Oh,” Hebe said taking a breath of relief, “I almost panicked thinking what your parents would say to Ella and I if you did something naughty.”

“I’m not a baby anymore,” Selina remarked then recalled Chun’s words of her being an adult then smiled.

Of course, she wasn’t living under her parents’ roof anymore she would be able to do what she wanted. Hebe and Ella weren’t her parents, but her friends in who she would be able to confide in if she needed help. There was no such thing as a curfew that existed for her anymore.

“Selina!” Hebe shouted.

“What?” Selina asked turning to Hebe.

“I said we’re home,” Hebe told.

Selina turned to see that they were in the apartment parking lot.

“You’re day dreaming too hard,” Hebe pointed out, “or is it Genie making you work too hard? I have to talk to her about it.”

Selina watched as Hebe slipped out of her seat first then Selina followed suit.

+++

Jiro walked up the stairs after Chun who had Deshi in his arms. Chun stopped at his door and unlocked it slowly then opened the door.

“You’re always so clean,” Jiro commented, “you take after me.”

“Hey jerk make a bottle for me,” Chun told sitting down with Deshi.

Jiro obediently went over to the fridge by the counter and started to make one. He walked over to Chun shaking the bottle so the formula would get mixed up with the water. Chun grabbed the bottle from him and Jiro sat a little restless as he glanced around the room.

“What’s up?” Chun questioned. “You’re sitting like a girl with a secret she can’t keep.”

Chun turned to look at Jiro who smiled back.

“So you noticed,” Jiro told.

“I notice every little detail that goes on,” Chun said.

“You’re smart but still stuck at that small company and doing construction at night,” Jiro commented.

“What choice do I have,” Chun told, “stop switching the subject.”

Jiro gave a little chuckle, “I’m not switching the subject.”

“Are you going to talk or not?” questioned Chun.

“Alright,” Jiro told. “Well…”

He paused for a long time.

“You know Selina?” Jiro asked.

Chun paused, but didn’t turn to Jiro. He suddenly felt like he didn’t want to talk with him anymore. Chun already half knew where Jiro was going and he didn’t feel like hearing it.

“She’s nice isn’t she?” Jiro questioned. “I heard Deshi likes her.”

“I know that,” Chun replied.

“Well then you know her too?” Jiro asked.

Chun pressed his lips together, “Of course I know anyone who looks after Deshi.”

“But you don’t know her that well right?” asked Jiro.

Chun felt his jaws tighten. Did he know Selina? Not much. She was just a sitter for Deshi. He hadn’t planned on getting to know her more, but something inside him was pushing him to lie to Jiro.

“She stayed here the whole night babysitting,” Chun suddenly told.

Somehow something in Jiro’s face changed. Something like a point of disappointment swimming inside his eyes.

“Oh,” Jiro remarked. “I’m feeling hungry I’m going to go buy something to eat. Do you want anything?”

Chun shook his head no. As the door closed Chun felt a rush of relief, but also felt guilty. Selina was attractive he agreed. He liked it how she was so good with Deshi. Maybe if only he’d met her before everything happened. Deshi looked up at him wide eyed as he on the bottle.

“Would you be happier if you did have a mother?” Chun asked. “It’s good you’re being a good boy today.”

Chun sighed. He was sure Jiro was going to say he liked Selina. Chun wondered why he didn’t want to hear those words come from Jiro’s mouth.

+++

Selina sneezed again. She shook her head and rubbed her nose.

“What the heck?” Selina questioned.

“I think someone’s talking about you,” Hebe commented.

“I hate sneezing,” Selina commented as she cleared and walked across the room to sit on the couch.

Selina grabbed a gossip magazine and sat down relaxing herself. As she read through the articles of celebrities having babies she thought about Deshi. How was he right now? Was he throwing a fit? Was he eating? Sleeping? Selina shook her head. What was there to worry about? Chun was a good father. Besides he’d been taking care of Deshi for such a long time by himself. Recalling that Deshi was such a chubby baby Selina was sure Chun was certainly feeding him at that moment.

“What are you day dreaming again?” Hebe questioned.

Selina made a face at her then asked, “What would you think of liking a man who already has a child?”

“What!” Hebe exclaimed loudly. “That is all in capital letters a no! It is not acceptable. He has already slept with another woman and you still want him. I don’t think that’s right.”

“Oh…well I don’t really think it matters,” Selina said.

Hebe gasped and took Selina by her shoulders, “Have you by chance fallen in love with the father of a baby?!”

Selina laughed and pushed Hebe off of her, “No way girl. I mean he’s all good looking and that, but definitely not my type.”

“Good,” Hebe said, “don’t be an angel that’s fallen from heaven.”

“You’re absurd,” Selina told.

“Just looking out for you.” Hebe said.

Before going on the door flung open and Ella came in screaming holding out her hand.

“I’m getting engaged!!” Ella screamed. “He wants to marry me! Oh my god!”

“Really?!” Hebe and Selina asked.

Selina and Hebe rushed toward their friend.

“Let me see the ring!” Hebe said.

“That’s so beautiful,” Selina complimented on the diamond ring.

“How did it happen?” Hebe asked.

“We were at the zoo,” Ella began.

“The zoo?” Hebe asked as Selina laughed. “That’s so…unromantic. Being at the zoo would certainly kill any feelings of romance.”

“Shut up,” Ella told, “anyway we were at the zoo riding the carousal when it suddenly stopped. Calvin got off the horse beside me and took the ring out of his pocket. It’s so sweet!”

Hebe blinked blankly at her friend, “Are you blind?”

“Hebe!” Selina snapped.

“Alright sorry,” Hebe apologized.

“No wonder you can’t ever find a boyfriend,” Ella said.

Selina stared at Ella’s ring in awe.  It made her want to find that man of her life faster. She had so wanted to fall in love after all those 8 years of being alone after that painful breakup with Alan. It was only that school and work had kept her from doing so, but now that she was in Taipei she was hoping things would be different. She was more motivated than ever to get married and quickly have children before she turned 28.