~Search 1

Where I Found You

Selina sat with her chin rested on the palm of her hand staring out at the sky. She was sitting in the apartment she shared with her friends Ella and Hebe. A month ago after graduating from university she’d departed from her parents with tears in her eyes. They were now living in Hong Kong while she was adapting to life in Taipei. It was a much different place than Hong Kong but she found herself to enjoy it.

Hebe worked at the nursing home nearby a Day Care center. She’d promised to take her to visit and see how she liked the place since Selina was planning on applying there.
Ella on the other hand, was the manager of a small interior decorating business. 5 months from now she would be getting engaged to Calvin Chen, the rich man who owned about 4 famous hotels.

The stars were out filling the sky that night. Giving out a yawn Selina got up from the ground pulling the curtains closed and turned off the light then got into bed.

+++

The baby was stirring in the next room and the noise he was making was waking Chun up. Chun had come to develop good hearing after the baby arrived and in a way the baby was his alarm clock. Whenever Deshi cried in the middle of the night Chun helplessly got up from bed and made a bottle for him. Sometimes he sat in the middle of then night with Deshi in his arms gently rocking him back and forth staring out of the long rectangular window wondering if mothers felt like he did. Tired of taking care of the children, but glad that they were there so that they had someone to take care of and not have to feel so lonely. Before he’d never imagined that having a baby would be so difficult, but after Deshi arrived he knew he was ready to be a responsible father and a responsible father he was.

Throwing off the covers Chun walked into the next room turning the light on. The light bounced off the baby blue walls with clusters of clouds decorated on them. The room used to be his favorite, but now it was just the room where the baby was.

Deshi’s eyes were opened and he was rolling and moving around in his crib. His big head seemed to be too heavy for him to move. Chun picked the helpless baby up and turned off the light going into the living room of his small apartment to sit.

His parents lived in Australia and were too far out of reach to come every so often to take care of Deshi, so therefore he held two jobs to support himself and his precious gem. He was an assistant clerk during the day and during the night he would help with the construction team that went around town. Though his parents had offered to help him with financial support he’d refused. He felt better and more responsible if he was able to do things by himself, this kind if independent feeling-pride-was what he held only. This was how he lived. In a small apartment with two small rooms, a couch, a TV, and a kitchen right next to it.  

“What are you still awake for huh?” Chun asked as he looked down at the baby who looked back at him, an amused look radiating in his eyes.

Chun shook the baby a little and before he realized it he’d drifted off into a slumber with the baby in his arms.

+++

“Selina hurry up will you?” Hebe called from the doorway with her boots already on and all set to go.

Selina was still in her room fumbling with what to bring with her and what to wear. As every other girl she’d known, style was the most important even if she were to wake up half an hour late for a meeting. After 10 more minutes she was out and ready to go. Ella, who had prepared breakfast for them had already left beforehand.

A while later Hebe stopped her car in front of the Day Care Center and Selina got out admiring its structure at once. It was a welcoming building made out of red and brown bricks with a sturdy playground outside to the left. Its roof was the color of maroon and the doors thick brown with a little window at the top.

“It’s cute!” Selina exclaimed.

“Isn’t it?” Hebe agreed. “My friend is inside. I’ll introduce you to her.”

The inside was carpeted with different colored squares as patterns. Blocks and a bunch of toys were already scattered around. Toddlers and babies were already crawling all over the place. Selina couldn’t help, but marvel at how playful and fun everything seemed.

“Genie!” Hebe waved to her.  

A woman dressed in a green overall walked over excitedly. She seemed to enjoy everyday of coming to the Day Care.

“She’s the boss,” Hebe whispered to Selina. “But very friendly.”

Genie smiled brightly extending a hand out to Selina, “You must be Selina. Hebe told me so much about you. You must be excited.”

Selina shook her hand, “I am.”

“Why don’t you stay here for today and you can come back starting tomorrow?” asked Genie.

“Really? I can start tomorrow?” Selina asked with wide eyes.

Genie laughed playfully, “Well if you can be patient with the kids. Wait till you see how horrible they can get.”

+++

Chun was running late again. Finding a quick outfit he’d undressed Deshi and dressed him. He had started a fit again that morning. Sometimes Chun wondered if he had been that bad of a child to his parents.

He stopped at the Day Care and dropped of Deshi hurrying off to work. Running through the doors he apologized for being late and ran over to his desk to see a pile of binders with information he needed to store into the computer. Taking off his jacket he started with work.

+++

“Oh no, not this kid again,” one of the girls whined.

Selina turned to look over to see a baby boy making a fit. His face was totally wet with tears and his loud cries echoed through the room.

“What’s the matter?” Genie asked walking over.

“This baby boy always cries,” the girl told, “I tried holding him and I checked his diaper. I guess he doesn’t like anyone here. Last week two of the other girls tried him, but he didn’t like them either.”

“Oh…Deshi, it’s ok,” Genie tried to coax the baby patting him on the back gently but he cried even more.

Selina turned back to the toddlers and patted their back comfortingly. She was glad that they weren’t making a fit over the baby who was crying.

“Selina, why don’t you try?” Genie asked.

Selina turned around surprised.

“Me? I don’t know…” came Selina’s unsure answer.

“Maybe he’ll like you,” Genie suggested.

Deciding to give it a try Selina got up and walked toward them.

“Should I try to pick him up first?” Selina questioned.

“Sure,” Genie replied.

Selina lifted the baby up and patted his back. Immediately he became silent as he clutched into her shirt with his small fists. He looked up at her with his big wet eyes and Selina quickly guessed he belonged to a very handsome father.

Genie and the girl looked at her shocked.

“No one’s been able to make him go quiet,” the girl gasped. “Are you sure you aren’t his mother?”

“What? No!” Selina protested. “I haven’t had a kid ever!”

Genie smiled, “He’s yours from now on.”

“What?” Selina questioned. “No way. Here take him.”

Both Genie and the girl backed away. Selina’s face filled with a helpless expression as Deshi leaned against her.

+++

Chun rushed down the streets in his car after Jiro had phoned that he wouldn’t be able to pick up Deshi from the Day Care. The Day Care would be closing any minute.

+++

Genie bit her lip as Selina stood by the doorway with Deshi in her arms.

“He’s always late,” Genie muttered then turned back to Selina. “Are you sure the baby isn’t yours?”

“No!” Selina said loudly. “I already said no! I’m still very pure!”

Genie smirked, “Why don’t you take the baby with you? I’ll leave a note for his father.”

“Why can’t you…” Selina started.

Was it right for Genie to just leave the baby with her? What if someone thought she was kidnapping the baby? What if the father assumed that she had kidnapped the baby? Momentous scenes of being dragged into the police station bombarded her small head.

“I have a very urgent appointment in a few minutes. Here give me your address,” Genie urged breaking her imagination.

In the end Selina gave up as she gave Genie her address. Hebe hadn’t come back either so she took a taxi back to the appointment. Strangely the baby held onto her tightly making her wonder who in the world gave birth to such a baby.

+++

Chun arrived in the empty parking lot stopping his car abruptly. He dashed out of his car and ran up to the door only to find a white piece of paper tucked neatly. Chun took the paper out and read the quick message. He sighed and turned back around. As always, Genie had left first.

+++

Selina closed the door to the apartment and settled the baby on the couch. He started crawling curiously as Selina hurried to the fridge to get a cup of water. She felt tired already. Babies were a lot of work she realized. While spacing out right on the spot, Deshi gave a loud shout making Selina jump around with a fright.

“Oh my god, you scared me,” Selina said as Deshi stuck a sock into his mouth. “Give me that you naughty boy.”

Selina took the sock from his mouth and threw it on the ground picking up Deshi. He was a heavy little boy.

“Your mommy and daddy must spoil you a lot for you to have gotten this big,” Selina said.

Deshi looked at her and laughed.

“Do I look funny?” Selina questioned.

Selina made noises as she nuzzled her face against his cheek. He laughed playfully, but they were interrupted by the non stop ringing of the doorbell. Selina turned around and walked toward the door. A tired looking man stood there.

“Who are you?” Selina questioned.

He gave her a quick look and grabbed Deshi from her arms.

“Thanks for taking care of the baby, but I’d appreciate it if you stay at the Day Care,” Chun told.

“You must be the father,” Selina told.

“Did you have a tiring day?” Chun asked the baby in a baby talk voice.

With that he turned around and walked off. Selina poked her head out to look into the hallway.

“Couldn’t even say bye or anything?” Selina asked then closed the door shut.

+++

Chun kicked the door shut and sat on the couch.

“Now what do I do with you?” he asked as Deshi sat in his lap looking up at him with wide innocent eyes. “I swear you’re going to be a heartbreaker.”

Deshi laughed. Chun smiled and shook his small wrist. Kissing him on the cheek Chun raised him up in the air.

“I guess daddy won’t go to work tonight,” Chun said.

Deshi opened his mouth wide and sneeze. Saliva flew all over Chun’s face.

“Naughty boy!” Chun scolded sitting Deshi onto the couch then wiped his face.

+++

“Selina are you sure you’re still a ?” Hebe asked as she walked over to the kitchen table where Selina was seated and Ella was setting the table.

Selina grabbed her spoon happily ready to eat Ella’s delicious food.

“Why do I have to be sure?” Selina questioned.

“I never knew you had a boyfriend Sel,” Ella told.

“I don’t,” Selina replied.

“Genie and I met up a few hours ago. That little baby boy that’s always crying…he’s yours, isn’t he?” Hebe asked with an accusing tone.

Ella gasped loudly playfully.

“No! He isn’t!” Selina tried to defend herself, but at the same time she wanted to laugh.

“Well, you never know. Maybe you got into an accident after having a baby and you had amnesia and now you’re here,” Ella joked.

“Guys!” Selina yelled.

Hebe laughed, “If you had a baby he’ll look like me.”

“What? Why would he look like you?” asked Selina.

“You’re my wife!” Hebe shouted.

Selina bursted laughing, “Oh you two.”

“Ok! The food is cold!” Ella said then pointed her fork at Hebe. “Stop talking and eat.”

“Ok Mrs. Chen Yi Ru,” Hebe mocked and dug into her food.

“How in the world did you meet him anyway,” Selina said open with half chewed food.

Ella made a face and pushed Selina’s face away.

“Please it’d be so embarrassing if they see you like this,” Ella told.

“I hope that’s a joke,” Selina said laughing as she wiped with a napkin.

“They met at the laundry mat,” Hebe said. “Ella dropped her underwears in front of him.”

“No way!” Ella denied. “I did not. That’s not how the story goes.”

“Then your bra!” Hebe laughed.

“Hebe, just shut up,” Ella remarked.

Hebe laughed, “I always had fun teasing you.”

“You dickhead,” Ella name called.