~Search 11

Where I Found You

“Deshi don’t kick it!” Selina shouted. “You just ruined it. Now we have to start over!”

Chun slowly sat up. As he tried to his head spun and he felt dizzier and dizzier. Ignoring it Chun walked toward the door.

“What are you up to?” Chun questioned.

Selina turned around with a jump then let out a laugh.

“You scared me,” Selina told. “Why are you up?”’

“You’re loud,” Chun said.

“Sorry,” Selina apologized then finally noticed that Chun must have not changed his clothes from last night. “What happened to your hand?”

Chun quickly hid it behind him, “Nothing. Did you make anything to eat? I’m hungry.”

“Well…not yet,” Selina replied. “You shouldn’t be up.”

As Chun sat down on the couch Selina watched as Chun made himself comfortable. He grabbed the blanket that had been left on the couch and laid down pulling it over him. Selina turned around and kissed Deshi on the cheek then got up. Chun heard Selina rustling about in the kitchen and for a short moment he actually felt married to her. He laughed quietly realizing what a foolish thought that was. He found Deshi staring at him as he held onto one of the game pieces.

Chun frowned at Deshi, “What? Don’t tell me you can read my mind.”

Deshi dropped the game piece and laughed.

“I can’t read your mind,” Selina answered.

“I was talking to Deshi,” Chun told.

“Oh,” Selina said feeling embarrassed.

They were silent for a minute then Chun asked, “Why did you come?”

“I didn’t see Deshi today and Genie thought one of you could be sick so I just wanted to check on you guys,” Selina told. “By the way the door was unlocked this morning that’s how I got in.”

“Thanks,” Chun thanked.

After Selina finished making the porridge she let it cool down before putting it in a bowl and bringing it over to Chun. Selina watched as Chun sat up and handed him the bowl. He took it easy at first, but then he could feel the pain on his hand ache more and more. Selina who had already gone back to sit with Deshi didn’t notice. Chun set the bowl down on his lap and shook his hand. With his uninjured hand he picked up the spoon and started to eat the porridge quietly.

“Done,” Chun announced a minute later.

Selina turned around and got up without complaint. She took the bowl from him and dropped it in the sink washing it. After doing so she walked back and looked out the window. It was getting dark and finally realized she’d practically spent the whole day at his house. Would Genie tell Hebe? Was it bad for her to be staying at a man’s house?  

Selina picked Deshi up from the ground, “It’s time for us to eat now.”

Deshi smiled and hit Selina’s face playfully. Selina gasped in response.

“You wanna play rough now don’t you?” Selina asked.

Selina leaned forward so that it seemed as if Deshi was falling toward the ground and Chun feared for a moment that Selina might drop him. To his surprise Selina was stronger than he’d thought. Her hands gripped Deshi tightly and pulled him back up pressing her face against his. Deshi laughed.

“You’re so cute baby,” Selina told kissing his cheek. “Give me a kiss, kiss too.”

Selina held Deshi’s face toward her check and pressed his lips against her. Selina pulled him away and looked at him.

She exclaimed loudly with a smile, “Awww! I think I can be your girlfriend now!”

Selina hugged him and feeling Chun’s eyes on her she turned to look at him. He smiled at her and Selina found herself feeling slightly embarrassed.

“You should lay down and get some rest,” Selina suggested. “You’ve been looking really tired. Anybody would think you’re a walking panda with those bags of yours.”

“Then are you a panda that lost weight?” Chun asked in a teasing manner.

Selina’s face twisted up, but she ignored him and just smiled in reply. With that she turned around and sat Deshi in his high chair. Chun watched as she began to take out a pan. He laid down and dozed off quickly.

Chun woke a while later to find that it was dark outside. Immediately remembering that Selina had been over he glanced around like crazy for her. He began to sit up and noticed something leaning against the couch. Selina was sitting at the end of the couch with her knees up to her chest and her head leaning against her knees. As Chun got a closer look he realized Selina had fallen asleep. He figured that since she didn’t have Deshi with her she must have put him to sleep in his crib. He got off the couch slowly making sure he wouldn’t wake Selina up. Taking the blanket off him he sat by Selina and put the blanket around her. Chun found himself taking a chance to observe her closely. Her skin was so white and seemed so soft. He stared at her for a while before Selina begin moving. Selina rose her head up sleepily, yet her eyes were open wondering where she was. Selina rubbed her forehead and turned to look at Chun. She stared at him for a moment then looked around finally recalling where she was. She glanced at the blanket around her and turned back to Chun’s gaze.

“I forgot…sorry I fell asleep,” Selina apologized then laughed crazily.

However, her smile faded when Selina noticed that Chun wasn’t taking in the atmosphere she was trying to create. He slipped his arm around her cautiously moving nearer and nearer to her. Their lips barely touched when the doorbell rang. Chun quickly turned away withdrawing his arm. With his heart beating fast and his mind running in circles wondering why he was doing what he was doing as he opened the door. Jiro smiled back about to say something, but noticed Selina with a blanket wrapped around her.

“Oh sorry I…” Jiro began.

“Come in,” Chun invited interrupting Jiro.

Jiro looked at him and at Selina then entered. Selina got up taking the blanket off her and smiled. Jiro felt his heart throb and laughed lightly.

“Hey,” Jiro greeted.

“Hi,” Selina greeted.

They stood in silence for a moment. Selina found herself wondering if Jiro was thinking that she’d been doing something with Chun. She quickly arranged her clothes making sure that they didn’t look strange in any way.

Chun felt a bit of disappointment rush through him. He’d forgotten all about Jiro. He watched as Selina greeted Jiro with a slight smile and arrange her wrinkled shirt. Without much thinking he jumped to the conclusion that Selina also liked Jiro.    

“Who made the food?” Jiro questioned smelling the air.

“They’re just leftovers. I didn’t know you’d be coming if I knew I would have made some more,” Selina told.

“You made the food? Gosh it seems delicious!” Jiro exclaimed.

Selina smiled, “It’s not that great.”

“I’m sure you’re a good cook,” Jiro assured.

Chun could feel something tugging inside of him to separate them, but dismissed the silent nagging.

“Selina’s food is pretty good,” Chun agreed, “you’ll be lucky to have her someday.”

Selina turned toward Chun wondering what he’d meant by that. Knowing what he’d meant Jiro laughed to clear up the air.

“So you’ve eaten with Selina before?” Jiro asked. “I’m not picking a fight over her food. I was second in line to meet her anyway.”

Jiro nudged Chun, but Chun didn’t seem to be in the mood to enjoy his jokes.

“Then I guess I better go,” Selina told. “Bye.”

“Bye! I’ll see you again,” Jiro told.

Selina smiled and took one last glance at Chun who didn’t return her glance. Feeling a little down Selina turned to leave. Hearing the door close after her Jiro turned to Chun.

“What’s with the cold attitude man?” Jiro questioned.

“Nothing,” Chun sighed.

“You aren’t angry because I’m late to babysit Deshi are you?” Jiro asked.

“I’m sick so I’m not leaving anyway,” Chun told as he sat down on the couch pulling the blanket over him.

Jiro stared at him and smiled.

“Go eat and get rid of that food,” Chun ordered.

Watching the glum look on Chun’s face Jiro guessed he didn’t get the hint. By saying he was second to meet Selina Jiro meant he’d lay back on Selina. He didn’t want to fight over a girl with Chun. Besides Jiro figured that with what Chun had gone through he would need someone to give him comfort and help take care of Deshi and especially do the things he couldn’t do.

Chun sat on the couch reminiscing over his disappointment. He decided it would be better for Selina if she and Jiro dated. Being with a guy who already had a child would be bad for her. Besides who would want their daughter to date a guy with a child? A parent’s ideal man for their daughter would be someone who was elegant, single, and had pretty much everything. That was what Jiro was. Judging from that Chun decided he’d come up with something to hook Jiro and Selina up.

+++

Hebe and Ella were already in their rooms that night. Selina took a quick shower and climbed into her bed. She didn’t feel tired at all, but kept thinking back to when she’d been over at Chun’s. She smiled to herself when she recalled Chun locking his eyes with hers. All she could think of was how handsome he looked. Then she asked herself if he did really put his arm around her. Selina began to squirm, but heard her door open and turned to see Ella tip toe in.

“Selina?” Ella asked.

Selina leaned on her elbow looking up.

“Ella? What are you doing?” Selina questioned.

“Selina, can I talk with you?” Ella asked.

“Oh yea…come in,” Selina invited.

Ella walked in through the dark and made her way over to Selina’s bed. She took a seat at the end of the bed and sat in silence for a minute.

“Why are you asleep?” Selina asked.

“Did…did you give him the toy I bought?” Ella asked with a nervous tone attached to her voice.

“No. I forgot,” Selina replied.

“Then…could I come to the day care tomorrow?” Ella asked.

“Sure you can,” Selina answered half wondering why Ella seemed to be acting strange. “Are you ok? You’ve been strange lately.”

“No I’m fine.” Ella told. “Do…what time does Chun drop him off?”

“A little after 8.” Selina replied. “Why are you asking?”

“Nothing…I want to see the baby that’s all,” Ella replied. “I’ll come a little after 9 ok?”

“That’s fine,” Selina told.

“That…that’s all. Good night,” Ella told and got up to leave.

Selina watched as Ella stopped halfway.

“You…by the way…have you and Chun gotten close yet?” Ella asked.

Selina decided that Ella sounded uncomfortable about something.

“Well I…” Selina began.

Ella started toward her slowly.

“Have you been staying with him these nights?” Ella asked.

Selina wasn’t sure how she should respond.

“Ella why…” Selina began again.

“You have,” Ella told sinking back into the darkness. “Can you be honest with me? Do you like him?”

“Ella…” Selina started.

She didn’t want to reply. She wasn’t sure.

“My heart beats fast…and I always think about it…” Selina finally said fearing that Ella might be sad with her if she didn’t reply.

“I see,” Ella told. “Sorry…good night.”

Selina could tell that she sounded kind of hurt in a way.

Selina watched as the door closed. She couldn’t understand Ella. Did she want to say something else to her?

Selina combed her hair letting it fall loose around her shoulders the next morning. She’d gotten up quite early and got ready before Hebe. Selina found herself anticipating what would be coming that day.