~Search 6

Where I Found You

+++

Chun opened the door to his apartment after returning home from the construction site. He had almost forgotten that Jiro was there. Closing the door he found Jiro asleep on the couch with the blanket he’d put around Selina yesterday night. Had he expected to see her there with Deshi sleeping in her arms? Chun wasn’t sure as he walked passed Jiro and walked into his room.

+++

Ella slept in bed. Little beads of sweat formed on her forehead. Nervousness and a little bit of sadness filled her. She was walking away a crying baby being held in the arms of a strong man. A man she remembered as Chun. Turning back once more she turned around and started running. Her feet moved so slowly that it felt as if she was going nowhere. Suddenly approaching a black tunnel Ella’s eyes flew open.

The room was dark as she reached for the lamp beside her bed. As the room half filled with light relief flung over her realizing it was just a dream. It was the first time in a long time that she’d had that dream again. Ella pulled the blanket over her a little more and glanced at the ring that clung onto her finger. She convinced herself she would forget that terrible life forever and move on.

She woke early hours later after realizing she wouldn’t be able to sleep anymore. She walked toward the fridge opening it and glancing at its contents inside. Before, her cooking skills had never been strong, but after Selina and Hebe had moved in she’d learned cooking from Selina. Now she even enjoyed cooking the simplest meals she would have always burnt in the past.

Hebe’s bedroom door opened and she walked out with a yawn.

“Are you making pancakes?” Hebe questioned.

“Why? Do you want some?” asked Ella.

“I’d be delighted to have some,” Hebe said then turned around and walked into her room.

+++

Chun woke up to Deshi’s cries and rushed into the baby’s room. Chun picked him up from the crib and patted his back. Figuring he was hungry Chun hurried into the kitchen and prepared a bottle. After feeding Deshi he searched through Deshi’s clothes and dressed him. He hurried over to the couch to find that Jiro had already gone home. Sighing he hurried into his own room and changed. Sometimes he wished waking up would be easier. Shortly he recalled Selina taking Deshi from him and dressing him. If Deshi had a mother Chun’s burdens wouldn’t be so heavy.

As Chun arrived at the clinic he found Selina inside already playing with other toddlers. Selina smiled as she noticed him come in and Chun felt himself smile back.

“Did you have a good sleep last night?” Selina questioned in baby tone to Deshi.

“He’s had a bad morning,” Chun told.

“Couldn’t dress him?” Selina teased.

“I’ll see you later,” Chun said and left.

The day was the usual. Sitting with Deshi and playing with him.

“Being good with your girlfriend aren’t you?” Jiro asked sitting down next to Selina.

“Oh hi,” Selina greeted turning to look at him.

“I wanted to see Deshi before I have to go back to see my grandma,” Jiro told.

“Is something wrong with her?” Selina asked.

“The person taking care of her had to leave for urgent business so I have to go back,” Jiro explained.

“Sorry to hear,” Selina sympathized.

“Would you do me a favor?” Jiro asked.

“What is it?” Selina asked.

“When I come back would you go eat dinner with me?” Jiro asked confidently.

Selina’s mind went blank, “That’s not a favor.”

“Well then count it as I’m asking you out on a date,” Jiro told.

“I…” Selina began.

“Just once,” Jiro tried to convince her, “you’re the first girl that’s caught my attention after a girl I used to like a long time ago.”

Selina could remember her words of wanting to find love quickly. She guessed she could give him a shot.

“Ok,” Selina agreed.

Jiro smiled brightly, “That’s great! I’ll see you then!”

Jiro picked up Deshi and kissed him then got up waving. Selina watched as he left and turned to Deshi.

“I’ve got a date,” Selina said.

Deshi gave a small shout as he dropped the block onto the ground.

+++

Chun rustled through the papers on his desk. There was too much for him to be able to be finished on time. He wondered how he would be able to pick up Deshi, but remembering that Jiro was in town he felt relief.

+++

Selina stood outside for a while. The Day Care had closed and Chun was no where to be seen.

“Doesn’t your daddy know that you need a ride home?” Selina asked.

Hebe was waiting in the car with patience until an hour later.

“Selina lets just go,” Hebe told. “Leave a note behind or something.”

Selina turned back to the door not sure of what to do. She recalled Chun asking her to stay and wait if the next time he was late, but then he knew where she lived. Thinking for another thirty minutes Selina gave up and reluctantly got into Hebe’s car.

+++

Chun took his time going back to the apartment. It was only after opening the door and not finding Jiro inside he rushed from room to room. No Deshi either. Thoughts of the worst ran through his mind. He raced back to the Day Care, but found that it was closed. He turned around and paused and looked back to see a piece of paper stuck in between the door and its frame. It was from Selina.

+++

Hebe opened the door and Selina followed her in taking off her shoes. Ella was sitting on the couch surprisingly home early.

“You guys are back,” Ella said getting up then paused.

“His father was late and didn’t come pick him up so I brought him back with me,” Selina told. “He’s cute isn’t he?”

Ella’s eyes never moved an inch from Deshi’s face. She was able to recognize every little detail. Everything about him haunted her and stuck to her mind. He’d inherited Chun’s eyes, nose, shape of his lips, and even the way he slept. Ella’s mouth trembled and she fell back onto the couch without even realizing it.

She and Chun were introduced to each other through her cousin. Through her they developed a close relationship which soon revealed to be puppy love. By the end of her senior year in college she’d gotten pregnant and had Deshi that summer after graduation. That was the only reason to how she kept her pregnancy a secret from her family and friends. She was ashamed, but Chun wasn’t. He was a proud man full of pride that was never easy to step on. She thought she was able to accept the way he lived his life, but a month after living with him she couldn’t take it anymore. She wanted more out of life and out of marriage. She knew she was wrong, but she was greedy for money and wanted to be able to have anything she needed. Chun wasn’t able to do that. He always talked about being glad for what he had and that was as far as he went.  

Ella felt her head become light. After walking away from them she thought he was have moved back to live with his parents. She hadn’t wanted to see them again.

“Oh my god Ella!” Hebe shouted as Ella suddenly out.

When Ella woke up again Selina was sitting across her with Deshi in her arms. He wasn’t crying like always, but silent. Ella remembered in the past when she’d held him he never quieted, but was always crying.

“Ella what’s wrong?” Hebe questioned.

Ella reached her hand up to touch her cheeks to find that they were stained with tears.

“Did something happen? You out all of a sudden,” Hebe told.

Ella glanced at Selina as if frightened and sat up on the couch.

“No. I’m just not feeling well,” Ella told. “I feel like eating something.”

“I’ll cook,” Selina suggested.

“Just hold the baby or else he’ll cry,” Hebe told. “I’ll do it.”

Ella gulped as she drew her eyes away from Selina, “I’m fine. Really.”

Selina and Hebe watched Ella walked into the kitchen and started taking out pots and pans.

+++

Chun felt his heart beating fast. Strangely a bad feeling had been occurring to him. He hurried as he turned the street and immediately recognized the building where Selina lived.

+++

Hebe rushed over into the kitchen and took the knife from Ella’s quivering hands.

“I’ll cut it for you,” Hebe offered.

Selina watched still. She had never seen Ella in such a state before. Why was it that the way she had stared at Deshi made her feel scared inside? Then suddenly the door bell rang non-stop. Selina began to get up, but Hebe rushed toward the door and unlocked it. Before she could open the door the person on the outside had already pushed it open. Chun came running in and stopped as his eyes landed on Selina. She got up from the couch and something at the corner of his eyes made him turn. There, Ella stood. She seemed as frozen as he did.

The one person he’d poured his love onto. The one person who used to never touch pots and pans. He felt himself tremble with anger.

Hebe glanced from Chun to Ella wondering why their eyes were so forcefully locked. The look he was giving her and Ella’s frail now pale face made her look like she would faint any minute. Even Selina who was watching couldn’t make herself move. Chun turned away angrily and walked toward Selina ing his hands around her arm. Selina gave a shout as Chun dragged her out.