~Search 19

Where I Found You

+++

Ella felt tired from searching all around town for furniture for a house she was taking care of. When she got back to the apartment she longed to be in she found Hebe standing by Selina’s bedroom door looking like she was trying to listen to a conversation.

“What are you doing?” Ella questioned.

Hebe turned around giving a shout then leaned back against Selina’s door, her hand against her heart.

“Oh God you scared me. I thought you were a robber or something,” Hebe told.

“Did you expect a ghost?” Ella asked. “What are you doing? Is Selina back?”

“Yes she is madam,” answered Hebe, “in fact I don’t know what’s wrong, but she’s crying her eyes out.”

Ella stared at the door wondering if she and Chun had an argument.

“Just leave her alone,” Ella advised, “maybe she doesn’t need anyone troubling her right now.”

“But I’m worried. She hasn’t showed any of these kinds of emotions for a while,” Hebe told. “Remember what happened to her back then?”

Ella stared at Hebe feeling the same kind of worry. They remembered watching Selina cry her eyes out and taking those pills daily. Maybe it didn’t bother Selina much but it was pain for them to watch her eat them. Ella turned away from the door.

“Selina will be fine,” Ella assured.

+++

Chun arrived at the Day Care on time thinking that maybe Selina would want to make up with him, but there was no sign of her there.

+++

Hebe opened Selina’s door to find that after she’d even dressed Selina had gone back to lie in bed.

“Are you sick Selina?” Hebe questioned.

Selina did not respond. Feeling a little afraid, but not letting it show yet Hebe walked in slowly to find that Selina was just sleeping. Figuring that Selina needed a little rest Hebe left for work leaving a note behind for Selina.

+++

“I think you should really get going Chun,” Genie told.

Chun glanced back at the door then to Deshi, “But…”

“You’re really going to be late for work, if you don’t want to get fired yet you should go. I’ll take care of Deshi and hand him to Selina later when she arrives,” Genie told.

Chun watched Deshi clamber into Genie’s arms and walked right out before hearing his echoing cry. Was Selina angry at him? What kind of feelings was she feeling? Even thinking about it all night he couldn’t understand why Selina wanted to know so much about Ella.

When he returned by the end of the day and hearing Deshi’s cries as he opened the door he realized Selina hadn’t come back. Rescuing Deshi from the other girls that worked there Chun settled him in his baby seat and got into the driver’s seat. Where was Selina? What was she thinking?

+++

When Ella got back she found that Hebe wasn’t home yet. She’d, however, found Selina’s shoes still there. Wondering where Selina was Ella looked around from room to room then opened the bedroom door. Selina wasn’t moving from the position she was in. Was something wrong with her? Panicking that maybe Selina had killed herself Ella ran toward her and started shaking her.

“Selina! Selina! Wake up! Selina!” Ella’s exasperated screams filled the air.

Selina’s eyes lazily opened.

“What?” she muttered.

“Oh my God!” Ella screamed and hugged Selina. “What are you doing? Why aren’t you at the Day Care?”

Selina sat up in bed looking tired, but was clearly fully awake. Ella noted that.  

“Oh right…” Selina muttered. “I couldn’t sleep last night so I took some sleeping pills. I got dressed this morning but fell back asleep. Hebe didn’t wake me up.”

“Selina you…” Ella couldn’t finish her sentence. “Don’t scare me like that!”

Selina yawned again, “Lets watch some TV.”

Even as Selina left the room Ella still felt bewildered shock. What was Selina doing to herself? Would she kill herself over Chun? Would she need to see the doctor again and eat antidepressant pills?

+++

When Jiro arrived no less than 20 minutes later Chun felt a little relief.

“Where’s Selina?” was the first thing Jiro asked.

It took Chun a moment before he was able to fully explain. Jiro listened intently with much attention as always.

“If it’s bothering her that much then it matters a lot to her,” Jiro told. “Chun you may not get a woman’s mind, but you should at least tell her something.”

“Am I supposed to tell her it’s Ella?” Chun sarcastically questioned.

“Well…no…” Jiro replied. “If you’re that worried I’m glad you’re showing you like her a lot.”

Chun stared at Jiro’s smile and felt himself grow even madder. Why had he invited Jiro over? Jiro wasn’t about to help him with anything.

“Well it’s your problem. I’m just here to babysit,” Jiro said then got up from the table and ran over to Deshi. “How’s my baby doing?”

Chun listened to Jiro’s wails and laughter. Maybe he didn’t understand Selina enough. She wasn’t like Ella she was different. He needed to face that.

Selina was at the Day Care the next day. Chun felt glad to see her smile, but wasn’t going to ask where she was yesterday. He watched as Deshi clung onto Selina.

“Don’t go anywhere before I come back,” Chun told Selina.

She just looked at him then grabbed Deshi’s small wrist and called, “Bye daddy.”

Just as Selina didn’t expect a visit from Jiro he didn’t come to visit that day. When Chun came back he grabbed her hand and led her out. After settling Deshi in his crib to sleep Selina walked out to find Chun trying to cook in the kitchen. It looked more of a mess than anything else.

“What are you doing?” Selina questioned.

“I can’t make you a candle lit dinner like a lot of girls want, but I can try to cook for you,” Chun told.

Selina smiled, “A candle lit dinner doesn’t matter. I’ll cook in case you make something poisonous instead.”

Chun stepped back and watched as Selina got the food ready. Through dinner they didn’t just eat silently, but talked. They avoided subjects such as their fight the other day and why Selina didn’t show up at the Day Care yesterday. They washed dishes together and watched a little TV together. By the time the TV show had ended Selina got up.

“I think you’ll have to call Jiro in tonight,” Selina told, “Hebe told me not to stay in tonight.”

“Wait…since when did you start listening to your friends?” Chun questioned.

“I overdosed on some pills last night so I think they’re worried,” Selina explained.

“You what?” Chun asked. “What kind of pills?”

“I’ll be at the Day Care tomorrow,” Selina replied. “Good night Chun.”

“Wait,” Chun called out and grabbed Selina’s wrist as she turned her back to him. “You’re just ignoring me.”

Selina turned around calmly and for a second nothing seemed wrong. Selina tip toed and gave Chun a peck on the lips.

“Good night,” she repeated.

Before Selina could step back Chun threw his arm around her waist holding her against him. Chun gave her a deep kiss which soon turned intense. Selina locked her arms around his neck and felt Chun dig his hand under her shirt. Within seconds Selina felt the wall against her back and his lips against her neck. As Chun kissed her face again flashbacks started to fly back into his mind. Was he going to be foolish again? Would he cause Selina to get pregnant? Would he have another child out of wedlock? Fear flew threw him and Chun stopped. It was then that he realized he’d walked Selina into his bedroom. Chun’s face became pain stricken as he removed his hands from her and turned around and ran out.

Selina could hear the door closed. She could only wonder if she was idiotic enough as to think that sleeping with him would make him hers forever. Was she that low? Selina felt hot tears enter her eyes and she walked out to make sure that Deshi was still asleep. She then grabbed a piece of paper, scribbled a note, and left.

+++

It was raining out now, but it didn’t seem to matter. Chun needed to wash those memories off of him. He needed to cool down before heading back into his apartment. What was he thinking? Chun felt almost ashamed and angry with himself.

+++

Selina stopped by the front doors and stuck her hand out to feel the cold rain pouring down. She decided she would walk back. Taking a cab and getting stuck in traffic would just make her feel worse.

+++

When Chun went back to the apartment he couldn’t find Selina anywhere. The only thing he could find was a note she’d scribbled on. Sorry were the only words he could find on there.

“I wanted to say sorry first,” Chun said aloud in the darkness.

+++

“I’m fine. It was just a five minute walk back, but I ran back most of the way,” Selina said ignoring Ella and Hebe’s worried talks.

Closing the door behind her Selina grabbed the phone and dialed Jiro’s number. Jiro answered on the first ring.

“It’s me Jiro,” Selina told.

“Oh! Hey Selina!” Jiro greeted sounding surprised. “Do you need something?”

“I just wanted to confirm that you’ll be my date this Saturday,” Selina said.

She could make out Jiro’s hesitant breathing before he replied, “When and what time is it?”

“At the Maple Hotel at 12. I’ll meet you over there,” Selina told.

“Sounds great,” Jiro said.

“Thanks,” Selina thanked and hung up.

+++

The following day and the next Selina did not come back to the Day Care. Deshi was left crying with Genie and Jiro had to babysit. Chun had questioned Jiro about Selina’s whereabouts, but Jiro couldn’t say anything because Selina had asked him not to.

+++

Dressed and ready to go the three girls set out to where Ella would be getting engaged. Selina and Hebe helped with the small matters such as arranging the flowers and helping to clean up areas that seemed messy. Guests started arriving around 10 and an orchestra was playing calming music. Hebe’s date, Jay, arrived by 11. They sat at a table, talked, and joked.

“Where’s your date Selina?” Hebe asked.

“He’ll be here shortly,” Selina replied.

“I wonder who he is,” Hebe said with a wink.

Selina just smiled and Ella wondered if she’d invited Chun to come. If Chun did arrive then it was the end of everything for Ella. Last minute doubts and thoughts flew into her mind. She didn’t know if she really wanted to be with Calvin. Should she say anything before it was too late? But nothing came to her, nothing at all.

Exactly 2 minutes before 12 Jiro made his way through the crowd after asking some people if they’ve seen Selina. He walked behind Selina and covered her eyes.

“Guess who?” Jiro asked.

“Jiro!” Selina shouted sounding a little unhappy.

Jiro finally took his hands off and took a seat next to here. They made short introductions to each other and drank a little wine. Jiro glanced around for any sign of Ella, but didn’t see her anywhere. As an old woman everyone took as Mrs. Chen headed up to the stage to make a short introduction everyone got off their chairs and hurried toward the front. Jiro lent his arm and Selina gratefully took hold of it. Jay and Hebe followed suit. Mrs. Chen gave her thank you speech and hoped everyone would bless Ella and Calvin into a good marriage. As a long applause was made a big cake was wheeled onto stage. Calvin and Ella climbed the stairs following the cake. Her arm entwined in his.

“I have to go to the bathroom. I’ll be back,” Jiro told.

Selina watched as Calvin and Ella gave their thanks to all those that had come. Her heart was pounding fast and she was having a feeling that something would go terribly wrong. Feeling choked up in the crowd of the people Selina made her way out into the reception room. Noticing that Selina was missing Hebe looked around and left Jay behind as she went to find Selina.