Chapter 43: Goodbyes are not the end

Maknae! Dorm

Jaera's POV

"Nuguseyo?" The voice I've been longing to hear said as tears fell down from my eyes.

 

As if my body has a mind of it's own, I quickly ran to Minwoo's side and wrapped him in my arms. I've yearned for this for so long... Minwoo's finally back.

 

"Minwoo! I missed you so much! Don't you know how long I've waited for this day to come--" I squealed but was interrupted by Minwoo pulling away from my grasp.

 

"Excuse me but... who are you?" Minwoo said as a million questions suddenly infiltrated my mind.

 

"What are you saying Minwoo? This is your noona Jaera..." I said sarcastically, taking his question as a joke but Minwoo only looked at me.

 

"But... I don't have a noona."

 

XXXXX

 

"Jaera! Is it true that Minwoo's finally awake?!" Soyu unni yelled barging in through the door together with appa and the rest of the dorm members.

 

"Oh Soyu noona!" Minwoo said smiling.

 

After Sulli got back from taking hot water, upon seeing Minwoo wide awake, she immediately called everyone and began apologizing to Minwoo. I don't know if Minwoo's just dizzy or what but he says that he doesn't know Sulli too.

 

"Oh god it's so good to see you finally awake! How are you feeling? Do you want to eat, drink or--" soyu unni said but Minwoo just chuckled.

 

“I'm fine noona." Minwoo said but quickly looked away from unni upon seeing appa.

 

"Minwoo..." appa said as I stood everyone turned silent waiting for Minwoo to shout at him but the opposite happened.

 

"Oh Jonghyun ahjussi, what are you doing here? Is aunty Mira here too?" Minwoo said with a bright smile, confusing everyone in the room.

 

"Minwoo, what are you saying?" Taemin asked as Minwoo looked at him weirdly.

 

"Who are you?" Minwoo replied.

 

"Who are all of you? Are you all Soyu noona and Jonghyun ahjussi's friends?" Minwoo said as I walked towards him.

 

"Stop Joking Minwoo, it's not funny." I said irritably. If Minwoo's joking then it's definitely not funny.

 

"Jaera..." appa said as I furrowed my eyebrows.

 

"Minwoo said he doesn't know me neither for Sulli. I already told him to stop kidding around but he just doesn't listen--"

 

"But it's true! I really don't know who you guys are! Well except for Soyu noona and Jonghyun ahjussi..." Minwoo defended.

 

This is really getting strange.

 

XXXXX

 

After a week of testing, Minwoo was finally discharged from the hospital but in turn a grave news was brought by the doctor.

 

"According to the results of the tests, it seems that the patient is suffering from a retrograde amnesia where the person still retains long term memories, but recent ones from the past years are hazy or nonexistent. His childhood memories are probably the only memories still intact because they have stronger attachment to the patient. This type of amnesia can be obtained by a strong impact on the head or severe damage to the nervous system. But when we checked the patient for serious injuries or damages, there were none. His brain and nervous system were perfectly fine."

 

Until now it remains a mystery on how Minwoo got an amnesia. The doctor advised Minwoo to come back every other week so that they can run more tests on him. We were also advised to give ample time and attention to Minwoo and if possible, do activities which can help him recover some of his memories.

 

And today, we were supposed to be at school but I want to take this chance to make Minwoo remember. The time when we went to lotte world, when we met the old granny and when he confessed in public. I'll do it all fpr him today.

 

"Uhm... Jaera noona..."  Minwoo said as he stopped walking. We just finished all the rides in lotte world.

 

Come to think of it, It's been months since I last heard him saying my name...

 

"I told you, just call me Jaera. We're not real siblings."

 

"...And I'm your girlfriend..."  I said taking hold of his right hand.

 

Minwoo then turned to look at me with an uneasy expression.

 

"But... I really can't remember you... I don't even know why Soyu noona allowed me to go here with you... a stranger."

 

A Stranger. Those words echoed in my head as my heart slowly began to break.

 

I swallowed my sadness and gave out a small smile.

 

"Even if you can't remember me, I hope that you wouldn't treat me as a stranger."

 

"Even if you lose your memories in the darkness, I will share mine. If you still can't remember, then I'll enlighten you. If I have to wait for eternity then I will." I said taking out Minwoo's couple ring from my pocket. (See chapter 36)

 

Minwoo then stared at me as I slowly placed the ring on his finger with a small kiss.

 

"for today, for tomorrow, for the days that may never return... always remember the three words that will always linger in our hearts... I love you."

 

XXXXX

 

Evening came as Minwoo and I were walking home. I know that Minwoo was feeling bad and tired already so I brought him home.

 

Everyone ate dinner together and Minwoo would be sitted beside me and appa. Minwoo already made friends with everybody so we were happy. The twins would crack jokes and Minwoo would sometimes laugh. It's so fulfilling to see Minwoo laughing normally. Even if it breaks my heart to pieces seeing him at that state, I'm not falling into despair. Even if he can't remember me, I still believe that Minwoo will be by my side again.

 

Minwoo's POV

"So what happened to Umma and Appa?" I asked, watching the stars twinkle brightly in the sky.

 

"They're dead now Minwoo..." my eyes widened as I heard Soyu noona's faint voice.

 

"T-they're... dead?"

 

"Jaera's real mother, Jessica, killed your parents Minwoo. She was kyuhyun oppa's ex-girlfriend." My heart sank as Soyu noona continued.

 

"They were very much in love with each other but Jessica got pregnant with Jonghyun being the father. Jessica then went into hiding without even messaging oppa even once. And with that, kyu oppa and seohyun unni got married and you came. Your real name was Minhyun but Jonghyun oppa and Mira unni changed it to Minwoo."

 

I stared at the sky as noona's words slowly sank in my mind. Lots of things were going on in my head. I don't know if I'm angry, sad, desperate or hurt. But one thing was for sure, I wasn't crying. Rather, I can't cry. If anyone would be in my situation then the most normal reaction would be crying but my mind is telling me to do otherwise.

 

"Do you hate Jaera?" Noona asked as I shook my head.

 

"I don't have any reason to." I said. Noona then stayed beside me and placed her hand on my shoulder.

 

"You know, Jaera loved you very much. Even before everything was revealed, the two of you were inseperable. During your stay at the hospital, she went to visit you everyday. The hospital already became her second home."

 

I closed my eyes and a voice echoed in my head.

 

"Take care of my daughter Jaera... continue the love story that Kyuhyun and I weren't able to end... love her like how I did for your father..."

 

But I don't want her to get hurt...

 

I looked at Soyu noona and heaved in a big amount of courage.

 

"I want to study abroad."

 

NOBODY'S POV

The next day, everyone went to school but after dismissal, they eventually went to their part time works. Jaera, on the other hand, immediately went home to spend time with Minwoo.

 

"I'm home--appa?" Jaera was about to go inside the living room when she saw Jonghyun talking to Soyu and Minwoo.

 

Jaera slowly walked over and stood by the living room door.

 

"Jong oppa, Minwoo and I have decided to stay at America." Soyu said as Jaera's eyes widened.

 

"What?! W-why?" Jonghyun asked, obviously dumbfounded by Soyu and Minwoo's decision.

 

"I think it's much better to start a new life there. And I don't have a family here anymore since Soyu noona is going with me." Minwoo said as he stood up to object.

 

"But we are your family--"

 

"It's okay Jong-ahjussi. We can still see each other soon."

 

"can you forgive me Minwoo?" Jonghyun suddenly asked as Minwoo smiled.

 

"Already forgiven."

 

Jonghyun nodded making Minwoo turn to give him a hug.

 

Unknown to the three that not far from their place was Jaera, crying while running to her room.

 

She only had a brief chance to spend time with Minwoo and now he's gonna stay for good in America. Her beloved will leave without even having any memories of her. Knowing this thing, Jaera just wanted to die but somewhere inside her, there is someone telling her to not lose hope.

 

XXXXX

 

The night before their flight, Minwoo and Soyu told their decision to everyone. Obviously, the dorm members were shocked, but what could they do? It's out of their hands.

 

Upon knowing Minwoo's decision, Youngmin was furious. When everyone was already inside their rooms, Youngmin called Minwoo and grabbed him by the collar, startling the younger one.

 

"I thought it was already clear to you, but what are you doing?! I gave Jaera to you so you can take good care of her, giving her all the love she needs! Not just to leave her here crying her heart out! Don't you know how much pain she'd been through?!" Youngmin yelled as Minwoo just stared at him.

 

Hearing them from next door, Taemin immediately ran to the room and pulled Youngmin away from Minwoo.

 

"Youngmin stop--"

 

"That's why I'm doing this because I don't want her to hurt anymore than she does now. Seeing me at this state would only bring her more pain." Minwoo said nonchalantly as Youngmin continued to glare at him before letting go.

 

"Do what you want." Youngmin then turned to his back and went to his own room.

 

Taemin who was still inside Minwoo's room, heaved a sigh and looked at his hoobae.

 

"Are you sure about your decision?"

 

Minwoo nodded and bowed to Taemin.

 

"Hyung, Please take care of Jaera noona in my place. I trust you."

 

Taemin just smiled and hugged Minwoo.

 

"Good luck and take care."

 

XXXXX

 

"I'm gonna miss you Jaera... are you sure you're not going to come with us at the airport?" Soyu pouted as Jaera clapped her hands together and bowed.

 

"I'm really sorry unni, but I have to do something."

 

The day of Minwoo and Soyu's flight has arrived. Everyone including Sulli and Jian are gonna bring them to the airport except for a single dorm member, Jaera.

 

Knowing the fact that she can't stop Minwoo from going, already hurted her so much. What more if she is to see him off.

 

"What's that thing that is more important than us?" Soyu asked suspiciously as Jaera just held her hand.

 

"Unni, please." Jaera looked at her with sadness in her eyes.

 

Soyu smiled and hugged her again.

 

"Take care Jaera."

 

Everyone quickly went inside the van. Soyu and Minwoo were the only ones outside. Jaera who was standing by the door, waved goodbye to Soyu as she went inside.

 

Minwoo looked at Jaera who was smiling at him from afar. He nodded and was about to go inside the van when a pair of arms suddenly surrounded his body. Minwoo turned around and saw Jaera pulling away.

 

"So I guess this is goodbye." Minwoo said as Jaera just nodded.

 

Without notice, Jaera then pulled Minwoo for another hug and went close to his face.

 

"Yeongwonhi saranghae nae namdongsaeng..."

 

Jaera then pulled out of the hug and ran inside the house leaving Minwoo who was smiling faintly, outside.

 

Upon closing the front door, Jaera suddenly fell on her knees and cried loudly.

 

"Goodbye... Minwoo..."


THANK YOU FOR READING CHAPTER 43!

A/N: If you are an observant reader, then you will see that something is not quite right with someone. MEHEHEHE.

AND THAT IS THE LAST CHAPTER OF MAKNAE! DORM! 

AWWW WHAT A TRAGEDY T...T

JUST KIDDING LOL. STAY TUNED FOR THE LAST CHAPTER! (TO BE POSTED WITHIN THIS WEEK!)

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE SUPPORT THAT THIS FANFIC RECEIVED! I PROMISE TO MAKE BETTER FANFICS IN THE NEAR FUTURE! 

SARANGHAE! <3