The Lucky New Year Festival

Lovely Complex

IU scribbled away as sunlight began to shine through the windows and into her room. Finally, writing her last note onto the musical sheet, she collapsed onto the floor. Lying down among the papers scattered across the floor, she bit her lip to stop her from tearing up in happiness. "Assa! Fourty-eight hours of studying and composing music... Finished!!"

Standing on the rooftop, she brushed her hair away from her face and looked at the shining sun. She stepped on the railing and extended her arms out into the air, as she shouted at the vast view ahead of her, "I can do this! I'll be able to debut one day, Wooyoung-oppa! Fighting! Omo?" Her eyes widened, as she began to lose her balance and lean forward. "AHHHHHHHH!!" Thankfully, she landed on a really thick bush which softened her landing. Placing a hand over her chest as if 10 years of her life have been shaved off, she stayed on the bush for a while in shock. "Aigoo... Didn't think I would fall off the roof. I probably can't walk properly after studying 48 hours straight." She suddenly felt a moist wad land on her forehead. "Omo?" Touching her forehead, she reeled in disgust as she realized what it was. "Blegh... Bird droppings?"

~*~

"Aigoo!" Wiping her forehead clean with a handkerchief, she walked back into the dorm. "What luck! And during New Years too..."

"IU, what are you doing early in the morning?"

"Huh..." Hearing a voice, IU turned to who was talking. Her eyes widened from the sight. "Omo!"

"Happy New Year!" Jun.K and Taecyeon greeted her happily, both wearing hanboks.

Junho, wearing a hanbok as well, stood in-between the two but, unlike the two, he just stared at her. "Sure, whatever."

"Uwahh!" IU beamed at the handsome flower-boys that stood before her. "Traditional hanboks?"

"Nichkhun loves traditional stuff since he's a foreigner, so we wear it every year," Jun.K explained.

Taecyeon added, "I like it, too~"

"Come, Chansungie! Don't be embarrassed!" Nichkhun chided Chansung, as he began to drag him.

Chansung's cheeks turned red, as he looked down, unable to look at her. "Happy New Year."

"Wow..." IU's face turned pink as well, flustered by his appearance. Bowing 90 degrees, she replied, "Err... I should be the one that says Happy New Year..."

Chansung shook his head. "Ani... I should..."

Biting her lower lip, she happily took in the sight. "You look handsome in a hanbok!"

His face instantly turned red. "G- Gomawo..."

Ruffling her hair, Nichkhun asked, "Hey, IU! Want to go to the shrine?"

"Going to the shrine?" She tilted her head. "Doesn't look like praying will get me to debut faster. Maybe I should stay home and compose more..."

"Studying on New Year won't do you any good. And besides..." Getting lower to her height, Nichkhun added softly, "Wooyoung's going too."

She tilted her head in confusion. "Hmm?"

"Yah! It's Wooyoungie!" Taecyeon flailed his arms frantically. "Happy New Year~~"

Turning her head quickly, she bit her lower lip in anticipation. W- Wooyoung-oppa in a hanbok?

"Happy New Year," Wooyoung quickly greeted her in sweats and a hoodie.

IU stumbled from the difference from expectation to reality. Regaining her posture, she stomped her foot in frustration. "It's New Year! Why the heck are you dressed like that?"

"I'm just going to say my prayers quickly and come back to work." He scoffed, as he muttered softly to himself, "And you're not dressed up also..."

~*~

IU's eyes widened as she took in the view of the shrine. "Daebak... It's pretty crowded." As she approached the place where people make prayers, she sighed, "I don't really believe in this sort of thing."

Chuckling, Nichkhun pushed her from behind. "Don't say that!"

Once she rung the gong, she clapped both her hands and shut her eyes tight. "Jebal, jebal, jebal, jebal, jebal... Please let me debut soon!"

Jun.K and Nichkhun stumbled from shock. Jun.K yelled, "I thought you're a non-believer!"

"And succeed... and let my true love remember..." IU continued to pray.

"Let's go get our fortune told," Jun.K sighed, dragging her away.

She struggled to break free. "Yah! I'm only half-way through!"

~*~

"Where'd you guys go?" Junho asked as the Jun.K, Nichkhun and IU walked towards the rest of the group.

Nichkhun flashed an apologetic smile. "Sorry Junho, it's a long story."

"Woo-hoo! Lucky!" Jun.K shouted as he looked at a slip of paper he just received.

Taecyeon waved his in the air, and swung an arm around Jun.K's shoulders. "Yay! I got a really good one too!"

Looking at his paper, Wooyoung's face lightened up a little. "Medium luck!"

Chansung pouted a little. "A little bit of luck..."

Wanting to join the others, IU reached for a slip of paper as well. "Hmm... I guess I'll-" Her eyes widened when she felt someone grab her wrist.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Junho asked in concern.

She tilted her head in confusion. "Hmm? Why not?"

"The fortune telling talisman here is really accurate. If you get an unlucky one-"

"Hahaha!" She cut him off with a giggle, and grabbed a talisman anyways. "It's just a talisman! I'm not afraid of these tricks!" Her eyes instantly widened when she read her paper: Ultra Bad Luck.

"What'd you get, IU?" Nichkhun asked in curiosity.

She quickly hid the slip behind her back. "Aniyo! It's just..." Not knowing how to continue, she dashed away as she tried to convince herself. It's just a talisman. It can't be real. It's just a talisman. It can't be... She couldn't help but continue reading the words on the paper. Beware of high altitude, especially the roof of the dorm. Beware of animal droppings, like birds and dogs. Her eyes widened. "Bwo?!" She began to sweat in anxiety. This must be a coincidence... She continued to read, "Beware of water."

Suddenly, she got gouged with water as an elderly man was throwing dirty water out his temple. Realizing what he had done, he bowed towards her. "Sorry, kid."

"Beware of falling objects."

As if on cue, a flower pot landed on her head. "Sorry! My flower pot fell!" A woman from the second floor yelled in concern. "Gwenchanayo?!"

IU just stood in shock. It is accurate! She continued to read until the end. Continuous disaster with men. At this rate, might fail again. Better to be alone. Stay away from the opposite . Might bring misfortune to both. She raised an eyebrow. "Bwo..." Sighing, she began to feel troubled. Telling me to stay away from boys, but... I'm here with a whole bunch of guys...

"What did the talisman say, IU?" Chansung peeked over her shoulder, giving her a mini heart-attack.

"Omo! S- Stay away from me!" She quickly backed away from him.

"... Oh... I didn't mean any harm..."

Realizing what she had done, she began to feel guilty. "Bwo... Aniyo..."

"M- Mian, I..." Chansung's lower lip began to quiver as his eyes were full of pain. "If I stay, I'll only cause trouble. Mian, IU!"

As he ran away, IU chased after him. "Bwo? Aniyo! Chansung-ssi! Wait! Don't go! Omo!" Tripping over a rock, she slid on the floor. "Ouch!" Aish! I made Chansung-ssi sad again. Sitting up, she bit her lower lip in concern. Just like it says on the talisman, if I even just get near guys, bad things happen... Ani... This is unreal!

~*~

"Bwo?" Junho turned to look at IU. "The talisman is worrying you? So it was an unlucky one." He nodded his head as if he was expecting it, then flicked her forehead. "Pabo. Haven't you heard that tying the talisman onto a tree can ward off the bad luck?"

Ignoring the throbbing pain from her forehead, IU fervently nodded her head. "Oh yeah!"

[A/N: I heard that tying the talisman to a tree will cause problems for the shrine, so please don't do it!]

"These trees are pretty tall." IU looked up once the two moved to the forest near the trees.

"Hmm..." Rubbing the back of his neck, Junho sighed, but his cheeks turned a little pink. "Aish... I guess I'll help you. Hop on."

Sitting on his shoulders, IU reached up to a branch and began tying her talisman. She smiled with gratitude. "Gomawoyo, Junho-ssi."

Looking at the ground, he mumbled in response, "This is easy."

In the midst of tying, she bit her lower lip. Wow... In between my legs is Junho's head. Bwo?! Her eyes shot open. Wait! This must be considered 'getting near boys.' Oh no! If this continues, something will happen!

Because of her thoughts, she began to squirm, making Junho lose his balance. "Yah, IU! Bwo?"

"Ahhhhh!" The two screamed and landed hard on the floor.

Coughing, IU sat up in pain and shock from a cold glare she felt. Junho slowly stood up, shaking with anger. "I- IU! And here I was helping you... Is this how you repay me? That was your plan from the start, right?" Junho took out his wooden kendo sword.

"Aniyaaa~aaa!"

"You're dead!" He screamed while chasing her.

She screamed for dear life, "Wahhhh~"

"So there you are, IU!" Taecyeon jumped out of nowhere.

"Wah! Another one!"

Running at full speed, Taecyeon tried to catch up to her. "Why are you running away from me?!"

"Stand still!" Junho commanded.

With tears b in her eyes, she ran at full speed. Honestly, I can never handle Taecyeon's hugs!

With a small smile, Wooyoung reached for a talisman. "I guess a talisman for a good debut wouldn't hurt." Suddenly, the three ran past him, pushing him down. "Ouch! What the-?" Looking up at the three screaming and running, he knew that no explanation was needed.

~*~

After hours of running, IU lay on the floor. She was exhausted and didn't care who was looking at her. Desperately trying to catch her breath, she stared at the bad luck talisman in her hand. All the predictions are coming true. Aish! At this rate, debuting will be... Pali! I have to tie this talisman onto a tree branch! Feeling driven, she stood up and began to venture off. "Bwo?" It didn't last too long since something caught her eye. "Omo! Why is there a hanbok-wearing guy on the ground?"

"Ahh..." the guy mumbled on the floor.

Oh no... Something bad is about to happen... Crouching next to the guy, she meekly poked him. "Are you alright?"

Looking up, Jun.K hiccuped and his face was all flushed. "Hmm~? What's up IU. Forcing me to the ground. What do you want?"

Her cheeks instantly turned bright pink. "Bwo?"

"Byuntae~" He playfully pushed her.

"Aniyo!" Her nose twitched and a sweat drop formed on her forehead. "Jun.K-ssi, are you drunk?"

He laughed. "Just a bit of soju (around 20 shots or so)." Getting close to her face, he waved his index finger. "Anyway, when you try to do it with a guy, remember that both of you agree first~"

She clenched her teeth. "What the heck are you talking about?!"

His smile slowly turned into a smirk. "Don't worry. If you want to, I really don't mind."

"Bwoyo?" Her cheeks turned bright pink, as he picked up her hand and placed it on the opening of the torso of his handbok.

"Let oppa teach you..." Using her hand, he began to slowly slip the cloth down.

She held her breath and bit her lower lip. Not sure why... but this is turning pretty good...

"You pabo..." Wooyoung cracked his knuckles, as the rest of 2PM stood behind him.

"Hahaha," Jun.K chuckled at IU's freaked out expression.

"What the hell do you think you're doing on New Year?" Wooyoung yelled as he stretched her cheeks. Taecyeon hugged her which always turns into a headlock, and Junho whacked her head with his sword. Nichkhun, Jun.K, and Chansung just stood at the side, watching everything happen.

~*~

Back at the dorm, IU sat in her room with her head lying on the table. "Aigoo... The worst New Year ever..." Looking at the talisman, she pouted. "This talisman is really accurate... I'm failing for sure."

"Pabo."

Getting the talisman taken away from her, she looked up to see who it was. "Bwo?"

"I heard about it." Wooyoung read the fortune, as he was all dressed up in his traditional hanbok. "Let's go tie this thing onto the tree."

Shocked by his sudden appearance, she couldn't say much. "Wooyoung-ssi..."

"Watching everyone wearing a hanbok made me want to try it as well." He smirked at her. "How is it?"

"Daebak..." She bit her lower lip and a smile slowly grew on her face. "It suits you. It's really nice."

Walking out the dorm with Wooyoung, she couldn't stop giving small glances at his direction. At least I got to see Wooyoung-oppa in a hanbok. Not such a bad year after all.