The Happy but Embarrassing First Date

Lovely Complex

Wooyoung hummed as he styled his hair. After spritzing a light layer of cologne on himself, he smiled at his reflection. “Ok! Not bad if I say so myself! I should dress up more often.”

 

Flashback…

“A movie? With you?” Wooyoung looked at the flustered IU.

Her cheeks went bright pink, as she laughed nervously. “Well, I happened to come across some free tickets from Jinyoung. And we both haven’t properly apologized for what happened at the beach, and-“

He let out a small chuckle. “Ok, ok, i’ll go.”

 

Remembering the thought, he chuckled to himself. “Asking me to a movie is so childish.”

“What’s the occasion?” Nichkhun popped up from behind Wooyoung.

“Don’t sneak up on me like that, hyung!” Scared and flustered, Wooyoung hid behind his standing mirror .

Nichkhun’s eyebrow raised. “You’re putting on cologne? Ohhh, I see…” Smiling, he crossed his arms and nodded his head. “You’re going on a date with her.”

“It’s not like that! We’re just going to watch a movie!” Wooyoung vehemently denied.

Nichkhun tilted his head. “That’s what people generally refer to as a ‘date,’ right? So you two are finally together,” he said, as he wiped an imaginary tear out of his eye.

Wooyoung’s cheeks turned bright pink. “It’s not like that.”

Ignoring Wooyoung, Nichkhun continued, “Congratulations, Wooyoungie.” As he walked out the room, he turned back to face Wooyoung. "But beware of one thing, IU is a girl after all….” Nichkhun winked. “Even if she forces you, you can’t let her have it easily!”

“Yah! How can that kind of thing happen?” 

Nichkhun waved farewell. “But if you two reach that stage, be sure to tell me!”

Once Nichkhun was out of sight, Wooyoung crossed his arms as his cheeks slowly turned pink. “Aish… Seriously……..” Smelling his wrist, he began to feel nervous from what Nichkhun said. “Is the cologne too much? Is it like I’m seducing her on purpose?” He jumped as he glanced at the clock. “Wa! It’s this late already?! Wha- What to do… Where’s my hat… That pabo must’ve started waiting an hour ago…” he grumbled while scrambling to finish getting ready.


“Aigoo… Wooyoung is so slow…” IU glanced around as she stood by a fountain in the middle of a plaza. “But why did I come here 3 hours early?” She giggled to herself as her cheeks turned pink. It’s really like a dream to be having a date with Woo-oppa. “Omo?” She noticed all the girls' attention focused somewhere so she looked at what they were staring at.

“Mian, IU. Did you wait?” Wooyoung ran to her. He stopped in front of her and smiled apologetically.

“Woo… Wooyoung…” A sweat drop formed on her forehead as she forced a smile once she saw his appearance. On this bright and sunny day, he was wearing a jacket with a blanket scarf, a hat, a pair of sunglasses, and a mask to hide his identity.

The girls around them whispered, “What’s with his appearance? Is she going to get kidnapped? Should we call the police?”

IU grabbed Wooyoung’s wrist as she ran away at full speed, dragging him with her. “You didn't have to be this extreme!”


“Aigoo~” IU removed all the extra accessories on Wooyoung and placed them in her bag. Giggling, she placed the hat back on him. “There. This is all you need and no one’s going to recognize you, especially if you’re going out with a girl that looks like me.” She pulled out her thick glasses that cover half her face, and smiled.

“Cute,” Wooyoung said under his breath as he stared at her appearance.

“Omo…?” Her face turned bright pink, and his face matched in color.

His eyes widened, shocked that he actually said it aloud. “I- I- I was talking about that bingsoo that cafe is selling!” Flustered, he pointed at the cafe next to them and began to walk towards that direction. “Let’s go try it.”

Woo-oppa is so cute! Feeling like her heart’s going to burst, she giggled as she followed him. “Ne!”


The two sat down as they shared a bingsoo, and the topping had an ice cream and other things to make it look like a bear. “Omo~ It really is cute!” IU happily took the first bite. Wooyoung ate with her in silence, but all she could think about is that they’re sharing the same dessert. She stared down at the sweet, as her thoughts went wild. I can’t believe Woo-oppa and I are sharing the same dessert! Isn’t this an indirect kiss of some sort? I mean, the same spoon that’s touching his lips is being used to eat from the same bingsoo I’m eating from! Omo! We’re kissing aren’t we? We’re kissing?!

“Yah, there’s some red bean on your cheek.” He broke her out of her reverie, as he swiped the food off her face with his index finger and it.

“Omo!” Caught off guard by his action, she turned bright pink. “Uhh… Mian,” she quickly apologized and began to stuff her face with more bingsoo.

He tilted his head from her reaction. She’s blushing… It’s kind of cute… Interesting… I should a bit by acting like I’m trying to feed her but end up feeding myself at the end. He smirked as he scooped a spoonful. “Yah, open wide.”

“B- Bwo?” Her eyes widened as her whole face turned red.

“Here.” He rested his chin on his hand, as he directed the spoon towards . Gulping, she closed her eyes as she opened . He chuckled softly, but then his eyes widened from shock at the two figures standing next to them.

“He said open wide! They’re on a date!” Taecyeon cheered as he slung an arm around Junho’s shoulders. Junho looked away with his arms crossed.

“AH! Junho and Taec-hyung!” Wooyoung dropped his spoon while IU’s eyes opened and saw the two guys.

Junho glanced at Wooyoung, looked away, and sighed. “I never thought you’d be the kind of person to… And it’s IU.”

Wooyoung quickly stood up, as he laughed nervously. “It’s not what you’re thinking! Right, IU?!” He quickly turned to her for backup.

She stood up as well. “Ne, it’s not like that. I just had two tickets and decided to ask him to spend a day together alone-“

“You’re not helping at all! We have to run!!” Pinching her cheek, he began to ran.

“Oww!” She ran after him as she tried to tug away the hand that was pulling her cheek.

“What lovers!” Taecyeon yelled after them.

“Yah! Wait!” Junho yelled at them, but just sighed as he watched them go out of sight.


Panting, IU looked behind her. “Phew… We escaped! We should be ok here…”

Wooyoung had his back turned against her as he panicked. I can’t believe they spotted us like that!! Especially when Taec-hyung saw it… This isn’t good! If they tell the others what they saw, I wouldn’t be able to go back to the dorm! They’ll just keep teasing me!!

“Omo, this is it…” She pointed at the movie theater beside them.

Snapping out of it, he looked at the movie title. “It’s an action movie?”

“Ne, it’s supposed to be really good.”


As they entered the theater, IU was leading the way to their seats as Wooyoung followed. He crossed his arms. I was expected her to bring me to a romantic film or even a horror film to try to get some cheap skin-ship with me.

Sitting down, she patted the seat next to her as she smiled up at him. “I’m sure you’ll like it.” Feeling a bit grumpy, he plopped down on the seat. She tilted her head. “You don’t like it?”

He pouted, as he snapped back, “It’s nothing.”


Once the movie started, IU glanced at Wooyoung and he was still in his pouting, arm-crossed position, but as soon as something interesting happened, he placed one hand on the arm rest. Seeing an opportunity, she gulped as she clenched her hand. Go! Go! She mentally cheered as she slowly reached for his hand.

“Ah!” Getting hooked and hyped from the action scenes, he got excited and pinched her cheek. “Wow!” he exclaimed as the scenes started to get more action-packed and he began to stretch her cheek out more.

She cried while trying to escape his grasp. Why did it turn out like this?!!


“Whaa, that was a great movie!” Wooyoung said as he walked out the theater.

IU dragged her feet as she followed him out. She mumbled, “It was, until you started hitting me.”

“Huh?” He turned to her, looking completely clueless.

She sighed. “Nevermind, gwenchana.”

Smirking, he pinched her cheeks lightly. “What’s with that face?”

“Uwaaa please don’t pinch any harder!” she cried.

Letting go, he chuckled. I think I wouldn’t mind hanging out with her again. It’s interesting.

“Well… Onto the next location!” She marched onward, enthusiastically.

Surprised, he followed after her. “We’re not going back yet?”

“If it’s alright with you, I’d like to take you to one more place.” She pointed at a location nearby. She muttered to herself, "And hopefully another place after."

He looked at where she was pointing. “The aquarium?”

She looked up at him with a sparkle in her eye. “Ne!” It’s such a rare chance to be alone with Woo-oppa like this! I can’t just let him go now!!


“Omo!” IU happily looked at the fish surrounding her. “So pretty!”

Wooyoung followed behind her, as he had a small smile on his face. It’s like we’re on a date…

“Omo!” She knelt next to a crying kid on the floor. “Gwenchana?” The kid wouldn’t stop crying, and she felt helpless until she remembered something and started rummaging through her bag. Pulling out a little candy, she handed it to the kid. “I bet this will make things all better.”

Halting the kid’s cry to a whimper, the kid grabbed the candy and mumbled. “Gomawoyo…”

I didn’t know she liked children. Wooyoung smiled. How cute.

“Aigoo,” the mom came after the kid and the kid hugged the mom. “Gwenchana?” She hugged him back and looked at the two. “I hope he didn’t cause too much trouble.”

Standing up, IU stood next to Wooyoung as she smiled. “Aniyo, not at all.”

“What a sweet couple,” the mother complimented after getting a good look of the two.

“Eh?!” the two exclaimed, as their cheeks turned bright pink

“You think so?!” IU asked bashfully.

Wooyoung vehemently denied the claim, “We’re not- It’s not like that!”

“Well I’m sorry, I just assumed.” The mom apologized with a smile and walked away with the child in hand. “We’ll be going now and thank you again!”

IU waved at them as she giggled. “Hahaha she thought we were-“

“Don’t- Don’t get all excited over that.” Wooyoung turned away as his cheeks warmed up.

“Ne, maja…” Walking in a daze, she recalled the mother’s words. “A sweet couple? You and I? Omo… Ow!” Too much in a daze, she bumped into the glass window.

“Ah… Gwenchana?” Catching her, he held her close until she was stable.

She looked up at him, her cheeks getting pink as she noticed the closeness between them. “Wooyoung…”

Noticing it too, he pulled her closer as he stared back into her eyes. “IU…”

“Yah, IU and Wooyoung, what are you two doing here?” Seok-hyeon asked staring up at the two.

“What a coincidence to meet you two here!” Tiffany walked towards them as she spritzed with breath spray.

Wooyoung quickly pushed IU away, and faced the two that just appeared all of a sudden. What am I going to do? They saw us almost kissing. He began to feel flustered. “I- It’s not anything like a date! It’s just that we came out to have some fun and-“

“Ok,” Tiffany responded with a giggle.

Seok-hyeon smirked. “You two don’t look too bad together.”

“Right?” Tiffany nodded in agreement. “Kind of like lovers that are destined to be together.”

“BWO?!” Wooyoung exclaimed, his jaw dropped.

IU squealed happily at Tiffany. “Aigoo, stop Tiffany-ssi.” Tiffany giggled at her.

Wooyoung was just in shock. Destined lovers? That’s basically like being married! This isn’t good!! Even Tiffany-noona thinks we’re a good match… We almost kissed too! I really have to watch out…

“I’ll see you two later,” Tiffany and Seok-hyeon waved then walked away. IU waved back.

“Huh? Bwo?” Wooyoung finally snapped out of it as he watched Tiffany walk away. He took off his cap and began to ruffle his hair. Anyway, I don’t like this atmosphere. I have to do something! “Eh?” His eyes shot open as she grabbed both his wrists and pulled them down to stop his frantic gesture.

She looked up at him, her cheeks pink. “Umm… There’s something I want to tell you…”

His cheeks turned pink as well. Bwo?! What’s she going to say? I can’t be swayed so easily by her!

“There’s a place I want to go with you today!” She enthusiastically pulled his wrist and headed out somewhere.

He followed after her. “Ne! What is it? Where?”

She smiled back at him. “This way! Over here!”

He glanced up and his eyes widened as he saw a hotel sign. Remembering Nickhun’s words earlier, he began to panic as his cheeks turned bright pink. This can’t be! No kiss? No “I love you”? Just straight to bed?!

“Here, inside here!” She pushed him to a room, and he’s been so deep in thought, he wasn’t really sure where he was especially since it was dark. Feeling her body close to his, she said softly, “Ok, here we go. Ready?”

“Wait!” He yelled out, as a flash lit the dark room. “… Huh…? Wha?”

“Yay, I got it!” She cheered as she stepped out and retrieved the printed sticker photos. He stepped out in a daze, and she jumped. “Omo! I’m sorry! Were you not ready to take the picture since you yelled out wait?”

He just looked at the picture in shock. “S- Sticker photos?”

She looked up at him with a sparkle in her eyes. “Ne! I wanted to get a picture together. Look at the date!” She flashed her instax photo book at him.

He looked at the instax photo they took together when they first met and the date she recorded, then he looked at the sticker photo and the date printed on it. “The date we took the pictures are exactly the same…” After a moment of silence, he let out a laugh. “Hahaha, so this is your plan all along? Are you a pabo?”

“Yah! Don’t laugh at me!” She flailed her arms at him. “To me, this is important! It was really hard to find a sticker booth especially since they don’t make too many nowadays!”

“You really are a picture maniac,” he continued to laugh.

She let out a small giggle. “It’s been exactly one year since I met you.” She smiled at him. “Thank you for keeping me company today.”

He smiled back at her. “One year huh… We’ve been through a lot, haven’t we?”

“Ne.”

“It’s been a fun day.” He began to walk.

“Ne!” She agreed, as she followed.

Sticker photos… He sighed as a sweat drop formed on his forehead. She’s more innocent that I thought… And I though she was taking me to a hotel…

She tilted her head as she looked at his face. “Is anything wrong? You’re all red…”

“Wha…?” He stared back at her and pinched her cheeks. “Shut up, it’s your fault!”

She yelped, as she tried to get away. “My fault?! What did I do?”

“Nothing…” He pinched harder. “But it’s your fault anyway!”

“Bwo?!"