Decision

Love between Dreams
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Decision

Chapter 23

 

“Congratulations, Mr. Kim.”

Taeng shook the person’s hand and smiled. “Thank you very much, Mr. Choi. I’m asking for your help.”

The older man laughed. “Of course, Mr. Kim. You don’t have to ask. My heart lies within Jeguk Corp.”

“We’re so blessed then. You’re a really valuable individual in this company.”

Mr. Choi laughed again. “I will always make myself valuable for this company and support you, Mr. Kim.”

“Thank you again, Mr. Choi.”

“You’re welcome, Mr. Kim.”

Taeng smiled and he continued to chat with another company partner and workers.

That night, Jeguk Corp. was holding a party for their newly appointed CEO, Kim Taeng. Before the party, the board had given Mr. Jung’s position officially to his son-in-law and since then Taeng would legally lead one of the largest multinational company in South Korea.

Taeng himself could hardly believe it. He actually could make this far. Looking back at his past, he would never dare to dream being in this position. Sure, he was on top of his career right now, but no one could believe what he had been through to be what he was right now. And looking at his present, it was like an irony. While his work life striving like a shooting star, his love life sinking deep like Titanic ship drowned into the Pacific Ocean.

But even so, for him, love was unconditional.

It was true that there was time that Taeng hoped Sica would accept his love and maybe love him back. But it didn’t really matter. That wasn’t the important thing in the first place.

This love was not so much an active emotion as a state of being. It wasn’t 'I love you' for this or that reason, not 'I love you if you love me.' It was love for no reason, love without an object. It also didn’t wither although the feeling was unreciprocated because who enrich it was the love itself as where there was love there was life. Because love never stopped.

When one truly loved someone, he didn’t expect being loved in return. Instead, those who truly glorified love would be happy for the person they love, though that person’s happiness lies in being with another. It hurt. Yes. Really hurt. Hurt like hell. But love was when the other person’s happiness was more important than his own. For love itself meant to give happiness. If the person he loved was happy, it was already enough. Fool? Yeah. But he was willing to be a fool if he could make the person he loved happy.

Taeng had given a thought about it several times. For the happiness of the person he loved, what was the best to do? He was not sure. So now, he was going to seek the answer. To the man who started it all.

“Hello, Sir---umm I mean Dad.” Taeng immediately corrected his speaking after seeing the older man’s glare on him.

The called man smiled. “Hi, Taeng. Come in.”

Taeng nodded and approached his father-in-law before taking a seat on the chair next to his bed.

Mr. Jung was still hospitalized because of his disease. He looked quite awful, not like the strong man he was used to be. Now he looked weak and fragile, lying on his bed helplessly. But feeling the presence of Taeng, could bring a bit of smile on the older man’s face.

“How is your condition, Dad?”

“Same old,” he answered.

“Has Sica known about this?” Concern look was apparent on his face.

“No. And she doesn’t need to know,” the older man said flatly.

“Why, Dad? She is your daughter.”

Mr. Jung closed his eyes. “You’ve promised me, son.”

Understanding that his father-in-law didn’t want to discuss about it anymore, Taeng could only heaved a silent sigh.

“Anyway,” the older man opened his eyes again. “Congratulations for your new position. I’m sorry I couldn’t do it by myself.” He patted Taeng’s arm weakly.

Taeng smiled in return. “It’s okay, Dad. I understand. I hope I can do the best for you.”

“I know you can.”

“Thank you Dad for trusting me.”

Mr. Jung nodded weakly. “So what brings you here, son?”

“I want to apologize to you, Dad.”

“Why?”

“I can’t make your daughter happy. I’m sorry.”

“Is that so?”

“I’m not a good husband. I can only hurt her. I’m really sorry, Dad.”

“Okay if you said so. Now you’re forgiven,” the sick man said lightly. “Anything else?”

“Dad?” Taeng looked in confusion at his former boss.

“You’re apologizing, aren’t you? I forgive you.”

“But, Dad, I-“

“Stop blaming yourself, son,” he interjected. “It’s not your fault if she wasn’t happy with you. It’s my daughter’s fault for ignoring your love.”

“It’s not her fault, Dad.”

Mr. Jung closed his eyes and let out a sigh. “I know you’re a good man, son. But you don’t have to defend my daughter in front of me. I know how she behaves towards you. I’m deeply sorry for that.”

Taeng looked down, didn’t know what to say.

“Hear me, son. Maybe it’s true that you can’t make my daughter happy until now. But I have faith in you. I believe your sincere love can thaw her frozen heart. I know in the end you can make my daughter happy. After all, I have trusted her to you.”

“Dad, I...” Taeng heaved a sigh.

“Son,” the older man looked at his son-in-law. “I understand you have faced a lot of hardships because of my daughter. I’m really sorry for dragging you into this mess. But, there is a reason why I chose you to be my son-in-law. I know what kind of person you are, Kim Taeng.” He paused awhile to catch a breath before continuing again. “There is something only you possess that can beatify her and make her realize how much this life means.”

“What do you mean, Dad?”

“You will figure it out yourself.”                 

“Why are you so sure about me, Dad? I’m not a perfect one.”

His father-in-law smiled at him. “Exactly. Because

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter