First Call

Love between Dreams
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

First Call

Chapter 1

 

Jessica put her bag down and sat on the edge of the bed. It had been a long time since the last time she was here. More than two years ago. She rested her palms on the bed to lean back herself.

A knock on door was heard not long after which she immediately answered, “Come in.” The door was opened and revealed a man with two luggages. He put it next to the dressing table.

“Is there anything else I can do, Miss Jung?”

“No, thank you,” said the brown haired woman with a subtle smile before she was left alone again in the room. She huffed and looked around the room.

The room was still the same like when she left it. Every furniture were exactly on where they were. And all the little stuffs she had. The husky dog doll and the white bear doll were sitting peacefully side by side on her bed, like they used to. She could see the photos she left on the nightstand. Nothing was changed. Even, the post-it notes she put next to her mirror were safely hung there.

She smiled inwardly.

Jessica loved being there. It had witnessed every states she had been: happy, sad, angry, embarrassed, playful, being in love, breaking down. It could give consolation by its solemnity and coziness.

She missed her room. Yet, it didn’t feel right to be back again now. Not when her heart was forced to do something it didn’t want.

Jessica heaved a sigh and lay herself down on the spacious bed. It had been a rough night for her and any kind of heart-consuming thinking at the late night was not really good for herself, neither physically nor emotionally. It didn’t take long before she finally fell asleep. She decided to not over think about it anymore and went to sleep instead.

The morning after, she was woken up by knocking from one of the housemaid, telling her that the breakfast was ready. She groaned and lazily searched for her phone with only one eyes halfly opened. It only showed 7.30.

Jessica wasn’t a morning person and moreover it was Saturday. She deserved a longer rest on the weekend. So instead of waking up, she stirred on her bed, hugged the bolster and tried to sleep again.

Just when she was about to enter the sleeping state again, another knock was heard.

“Miss Jung, the breakfast is ready.”

Jessica groaned again and covered her ears with the pillow while hoping the housemaid would go soon.

“Are you up already, Miss?”

She pulled the pillow closer, trying to ignore it.

Another knock. “I’m sorry to bother you, Miss, but Mr. Jung is waiting to have a breakfast with you downstair.”

Hearing the mention of the old man, her brain immediately went into full awake mode. She put her pillow aside and looked at her phone again. It was only 7.40.

“I need to make sure that you’re awake and and will go down this time, Miss.”

Jessica rolled her eyes before reluctantly going up from her bed. “Okay, okay. I’m awake now. I’ll go down in a few minutes. You can go now,” she told.

“Okay, Miss. Thank you.”

It was one of the reason why she wasn’t exactly happy going back to her home. She hated it how he could be so controlling and force things that he wanted or thought was the best. Just like this one. When she could have a little more peaceful time in her bed but was forced to go up and have a breakfast. Just because he wanted her to do so.

Although unwillingly, Jessica finally went downstair to have a breakfast with her father. When she entered the dining room, the emotionless face of the old man greeted her with all the food that had been prepared. She hesitantly took the chair next to him and had her breakfast there quietly.

The rest of the breakfast was done in silence. There were no words exchanged, nor any glances. It made her felt irk. She couldn’t understand why he was so persistent about having breakfast with her if there wasn’t any interactions between them. It was like wasting time, especially wasting her precious sleeping time.

There was one thing that bothered her the most from that breakfast time. It was the subtle smile on the old man’s face when he walked out from the room. Jessica was sure it was a smile because she knew the old man’s smile so well. But she wasn’t sure why he would smile like that after having a deadly-silence-filled breakfast. She couldn’t understand it at all.

***

The man had done packing all the stuff and put the last bag on the floor. He was now checking the room whether there was something left when the door opened.

"Kwon Yul."

"Yes?" He turned his head and smiled when he looked at the person. Nurse Lee waited for him at the door. She was dressed in white uniform and had her black hair placed in a tidy bun. He had met the nurse so many times as she was very often being responsible to take care of his mom.

"We need you to sign some papers for us before you guys can leave. It won't take long."

"Alright," the man replied as he made his way to Nurse Lee, “where should I start?”

“You can start by heading to the central desk on the main floor. Our staff members will help you with the forms there.”

"I'll come in a minute." The middle-aged woman nodded before leaving Yul alone. He turned around and walked towards the bed.

"I have to go for a while." He tapped the shoulder gently.

"Where are you going?" the brunette asked.

"I need to sign some papers before we go." The man turned to face his mother. "Umma, wait here with Sica for a while, okay?"

"Yes. Don't worry Yul," the older woman answered. After Yul had left the room, she shifted as she tried to get up. Seeing the other woman was struggling, Jessica immediately helped her to sit on the edge of the bed. "Thanks dear," she smiled as she gestured the younger woman to sit next to her.

"Well, we're finally leaving," Mrs. Kwon stated as she side-hugged the young woman.

"I'm so happy you've been better now, Umma," Jessica answered with a smile plastered on her face.

She was more than happy to be able to take care of her boyfriend's mother. The mother was so kind and already felt like her own mother. There was nothing else she hoped rather than seeing her be healthy again. And after a month being hospitalized, finally Yul's mother was getting better. They were so happy when the doctor told them they could leave soon, especially for the patient.

"Thank you, Sica. For all the time," she hugged the young woman once again.

“My pleasure, Umma,” Jessica returned the hug and then continued chatting with the older woman as they were waiting for Yul.

Yul actually had been there for a few minutes but just watching them talking happily to each other without noticing his presence. He smiled at the sight. For him, his mother was really precious. She raised him alone after his father died and poured him with a lot of love. And to realize that his beloved one, his girlfriend, getting along pretty well with his mother was really a joy for him. To have two people he really treasured together was a blissful blessing that he could not wish for anything else.

"You're back," his mother's voice snapped him back to reality.

The tanned guy reached them. "Are you ready?" Mrs. Kwon nodded. They finally left the room and headed to Yul's house.

***

The sound from TV could be heard around the room, as it was the only source of the noise. It showed the newest drama that caught off a lot of viewers. And yet, the figure didn't give any attention to it. She was leaning on the sofa and had closed her eyes for minutes.

She startled when a gentle voice called her. "Sica?" Her eyes met a smile as opened. She just smiled back and gestured him to sit next to her. "How is umma?"

"She is already asleep." He paused. "Is anything wrong?" The man looked at her.

"Hmm?" She raised her eyebrows.

"What are you thinking?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter