An Eye for an Eye

Twist Of Destiny

His head hung on the edge of the bed, his legs were touching the wall, lifting them up to avoid the pain that was creeping to him. He knew he had hurt his leg pretty bad, but now, everything seemed so trivial. He was trapped in his former house, a place he had grown to hate the most. Now, looking at the walls, reminded him of all the pains and sufferings he had to endure while growing up, tormenting his soul, threatening to drive him to the edge of insanity. He needed to get out, he needed air to breath. He needed freedom, and being inside of those walls brought him back to his prison-like childhood, where even opening a window was a bad behavior.

Jiyong stood up abruptly, ignoring the pain on his leg as he stood in front of the door, touching it slightly as he begged for someone to walk in. In the past, whenever his father used to ground him inside of that room, his mother would come at his aid, hugging him tight and telling him everything was ok, that she’ll talk to his father. He begged for that to happen now, yet, she hadn’t come in.

Youngbae stood next to him, touching his shoulder slightly as both of them let out a sigh. “She’s not coming.”

“I know.” Jiyong muttered, slowly dragging his body down, until he sat on the floor with his legs crossed. “She doesn’t cares anymore.”

“No.” Youngbae said, walking back to the window. “She doesn’t.” Jiyong nodded, looking at the little gap between the floor and the door. He had hopes, he had a hope that could move mountains, but nothing seemed to respond him. He was locked and away from all exterior communications. And what was worst, it was a race against time. Chaerin was in danger, and with the passing hours of him being locked, it was getting worst. She could be dead by now, and he wouldn’t be able to do nothing but to wait until his father decided to let him out.

Patience was a virtue, one he did not possessed. His heart was racing fast as he continued to look at the gap. Something on it caught his attention, and he felt his heart jumping. A shadow, too thin to be a man, was standing, or sitting, on the other side of the door. He quickly crawled over the door, touching it softly as he held in a breath. “Mother?” He muttered. He pressed his ear on the door, clearly hearing a sigh, followed by a sob.

“I’m so sorry.” Someone muttered. Jiyong bit his lip as he nodded, it was his mother. “For everything I have done to you my boy, I’m so sorry.”

“Mother, let us out. Please.” Jiyong said, scratching the door as he begged. He could feel his nails hurting, but he didn’t cared, he wanted to go out so badly he wouldn’t mind injuring himself on the way.

“I wanted to talk to you son, wanted to tell you so many things. Bu you would never listen.” She muttered. Jiyong bit his lip harder, scratching the door also harder.

“Mother, we could talk, I can talk, but please, please let me out.”

“If I do, how am I going to be certain you will talk to me?” She said, and Jiyong looked down, ignoring the trails of blood on the white door.

“I can’t promise anything right now mother.” He muttered. Silence was his response, and he quickly bent down, checking if she was still there. She was. “But I can promise you I will try.”

“Your father…” She started saying, then stopped. Jiyong looked up, almost imagining her standing on the other side of the door, looking down at him. “He’s not a bad man, but he’s not a good man either.”

“Mother, please. It’s important I get out of here. People are in danger.” Jiyong begged. His mother didn’t spoke anymore, and he hit the floor with his bloody hand, stressed on how much time he had lost there.

After a few seconds, maybe minutes, Jiyong heard a faint click on the door, and his eyes lightened up. He moved back, watching the door slowly opening. His mother peeked inside, looking down at him as she opened the door. “Jiyong, I’m going to get in so much trouble for this.” She said softly. Jiyong nodded, standing up as he looked at her.

“I know, and I can’t thank you enough.” He said, going towards her. He took her hands into his and looked at her with sorry eyes. “But the woman I love is out there, in terrible danger. I need to protect her.” His mother looked up at him and smiled, her eyes glistening in tears as she nodded.

“I’ll make a distraction so you can get out.” She said and Jiyong smiled when she caressed his cheek. “Just don’t forget about me, please.”

“I won’t mother.” He said and she nodded, slightly caressing his shoulder as she looked at his back, towards Youngbae.

“I trust you will keep him safe.” She said. Jiyong looked back at Youngbae, who nodded at her respectfully.

“As always, ma’am.” He said and she smiled while nodding. She let go of Jiyong and walked towards Youngbae. He took a step back, but she got closer to him nevertheless. Jiyong notice how much Youngbae repelled his mother, he thought it was out of respect, but now, it seemed strange that he did such things. She hadn’t done anything wrong to him, as far as Jiyong knew.

“I am so sorry Youngbae, for everything.” She said as she held his hands, bowing in front of him. Jiyong widened his eyes, and Youngbae too, touching her shoulders as he tried to straighten her up.

“Please ma’am, don’t.” Youngbae said nervously.

“If I could change time, I would be a mother to you. I am so sorry for everything.” She said and bowed again, then again, making it three times. Jiyong opened his mouth slightly, then closed it as Youngbae bit his lower lip, repressing tears from falling.

“I know. Please don’t do this now.” Youngbae whispered. Jiyong’s mother straightened up, cleaning her tears as she pulled Youngbae to a hug. He hugged her, and Jiyong noticed she was whispering something on his ear, because Youngbae nodded understandingly.

“I’ll see you off now. Be safe.” She said as she pushed him slightly towards Jiyong. “Go now, Younghwan’s busy at his office.” She said and Jiyong nodded, exchanging a look with Youngbae before storming out of the room.

No pain, no injury or wound would stop him now. He ran as fast as he could down the stairs, well aware of his surrounding as he ran down. There was no one in the main living room, and Jiyong thank God inside as he burst the doors open. He looked around, it was almost nighttime. “Think we’ll make it?” Youngbae said as he looked around the place. Jiyong shrugged and looked at Youngbae's car.

“You don’t happen to have the keys, do you?” Jiyong said and Youngbae smirked.

“They took everything.” He said as he bent down. Jiyong cursed loudly as he looked back into the mansion. No one was there. “But I always bring a copy.” Youngbae said as he lifted a key. Jiyong looked at him and smiled wide.

“Great.” He said and both of them ran towards the car. Youngbae went into the driver’s side as Jiyong got into the passenger’s seat. He quickly checked the gloves compartment for his gun. It was still there.  “There must be some guns in the back seat.” Youngbae nodded as he drove out of the place. His face was stern as he looked at the road. The gates were closed, and Youngbae cursed, parking the car.

“What do we do?” Youngbae said as Jiyong looked straight at the gates.

“Throw them down.” Jiyong said without taking his eyes out of the gates. Youngbae didn’t asked anymore questions as he started to accelerate the car, holding the emergency brake.

“Ready?” Youngbae said and Jiyong nodded, holding onto the handle of the car. Youngbae let go of the emergency brake, screaming loudly as the car screeched forward. Jiyong held in his breath as the car approached the gates.

“!” He screamed as the car hit the gates, breaking them and throwing them down. “ YEAH!” Jiyong screamed and Youngbae cheered, not stopping to look while Jiyong looked back. The guards were looking at the car, talking on the receivers as they speeded away.

“We made it!” Youngbae said and Jiyong nodded, patting Youngbae’s shoulder.

“Now the clock started to tick, father knows we got out.” Jiyong muttered, looking back at the house. They were gaining distance fast, but Jiyong could still see the guards walking towards the street.

“We will make it.” Youngbae said as he expertly avoided the cars on the street. Jiyong nodded, letting out a sigh as he sat straight on his seat.

“I don’t know where she’s at.” Jiyong said. Youngbae nodded, making a turn. Jiyong’s body hit the door as Youngbae hastily straightened the car, making the tires screech.

“Let’s take a look at the Lee’s mansion.” Youngbae said and Jiyong widened his eyes.

“Are you mad?! They’ll kill me on sight!” Jiyong said and Youngbae shrugged.

“It’s a place to start.” He said, making Jiyong roll his eyes.

“Alright then, let’s go there.”

Her body trembled as she embraced herself on the cold concrete. Without realizing it, the night had fell upon her, and Chaerin still mourned the love she had lost. Her heart ached every time she breathed, every time she moved. The people passing by looked at her as if she was a beggar, quickly running away whenever she looked at them.

With a scoff, Chaerin stood up, walking numbly towards her apartment. She knew it was a long walk, but she needed it. She needed the time to think, needed the moment of solitude for her to find herself again. Every step numbed her, every breathed made her feel like the dead. Walking without a trace, breathing without a reason.

Her heels made dragging noises as she dragged her feet back to her building. It seemed enormous now to her, almost monstrous as she recalled everything her life had become in those weeks. She scoffed as she walked inside, almost feeling evil as she thought over and over how miserable she had come to be in such a short time.

But, who was he to her? Just a murderer, someone she barely knew yet he had taken so much from her. She needed to stop him. After all, how can she love someone so deeply in such a short time? It was mental, something insane. Maybe it was the lust of the moment, maybe it was his handsome face or his lovable voice. “Yes.” She muttered to herself as she walked out of the elevator. “It must be that.”

As Chaerin took out her keys, she noticed her hands were trembling. Taking a deep breath, she held the key firmly and insert it into the keyhole. Her eyes widened as she noticed the door was unlocked, and her breath got caught in . With another breath, she opened the door softly and walked in quietly, looking around in the dark. There was nothing more than the deafening noise of silence, of loneliness. She let out a sigh and turned the lights on, setting her keys on a table.

She walked into the living room, taking her jacket off and throwing it on her sofa. As she moved her hair back, she heard a grunt, and her heart started beating fast. She quickly jumped, looking around the living room. She moved to turn the lights on, letting out a gasp as she saw Jiyong lying on her sofa, his lip and eye bleeding, his arm was injured, also bleeding, staining her sofa. She glared at him and quickly grabbed a knife as he sat up, grunting again.

“What the are you doing here?” She hissed, pointing the knife at him. He looked pained, his eyes looked dark, but she couldn’t see the menace in them. And her heart ache when he nodded, cleaning the blood from his face with the back of his hand.

“Trying to find you.” He muttered. Chaerin nodded, her hand trembling as she saw the injuries on his body.

“To kill me?” She said. He scoffed and shook his head, looking into his hands.

“To see if you were ok.” He said softly. She nodded, trying to continue glaring at him.

“I am, now you may leave.” She told him, regretting every word spoken.

“I went by your family’s house.” He said.

“You did?”

“They’re not very welcoming.” He said, now looking at her. She gulped as she saw the bleeding cheek, almost wishing to hug him, but she was afraid. Afraid of what he could do to her, or do with her.

“I know.” She said.

“As you are not now.” Jiyong stood up softly, and Chaerin held the knife tighter in her hand.

“Don’t move.”

“I’m not going to hurt you.” He said. His voice sounded pained, almost strained as he turned to look at her.

“You already did.” She said, her voice breaking as tears fell from her eyes. “You already did.”

“I’m sorry.” He muttered. Chaerin shook her head, her hand still trembling as she pointed the knife firmly at him.

“You knew all along, didn’t you?” She said. “You knew, this was just the way you found to kill me, slowly and painfully.”

“No, no.”

“This is a game to you, isn’t it? Just a way to seize your pray.”

“Chaerin, no.” He said, his voice also breaking, slowly killing her. “I wanted nothing more than to protect you. I didn’t know.”

“How to believe you?” She said, slowly shaking her head no. “How to believe the man that killed my father merciless? Did you… did you killed that other man too? And hurt me?” He bit his lower lip and nodded slowly, not taking his eyes off her.

“I did.” He admitted. She put a hand over as she gasped, suppressing a sob.

“Why?” She cried. “Why did you hurt me Jiyong?”

“Chaerin, I swear I never meant to. If I knew, I would never love you. I swear.”

“Love me? Do you love me?” She said, and he nodded eagerly.

“With all my life, I love you.” He said, taking one step closer. Chaerin didn’t moved, just continued to look at him as he got closer to her, so close the tip of the knife touched his chest. He was badly beaten, she could tell by the bruises and scratches all over his arms and face. “If I could turn back time, I would.” He whispered. Chaerin shook her head as she cried, letting the knife fall from her hands. Jiyong widened his eyes and got closer to her.

Without another thought, he grabbed her neck and pulled her to a hug. She embraced him as she buried her face into his chest, crying her heart out as he held her close. Softly kissing her head, he hugged her tighter. “What are we going to do now?” She sobbed as he kissed her head. He pulled her back and held her cheeks between his hands, looking straight into her eyes.

“You will do nothing.” He said firmly. “You will only do as I say, until everything’s clear.” She held his hand and pulled it away from her face, not forgetting to kiss it.

“You have broken me completely, taking everything from me. You took my love, and now I am yours.” She said softly as she touched his own face. “I don’t know how I’m doing this, but I am talking to you. Jiyong, you took my father from me, don’t let others take you from me too.” He looked at her, his eyes full of regret and pain, yet she could see a flash of happiness in them.

“I can’t bear the thought of something happening to you Chaerin.” He said softly, and she shrugged, trying to smile at him.

“What else could happen to me?” She said, but Jiyong shook his head at her. “My father was murdered by the man I love. Is there something else that could be worse than that?”

“You being killed. That would be worst.” He said and she nodded.

“Yes, for you.” She said and moved to grab her knife.

“That is more than enough for me to keep you away from all of this.” He said as she straightened up, looking at him straight into his eyes.

“I swore to myself I would kill the man that killed my father.” She muttered, now with a tinge of anger. “And now I find myself being unable to do that.”

“Kill me then, but after I’m done with the people that mean you harm.” He said sincerely.

“And who is that?” She asked, and Jiyong looked at the knife held in her hand.

“The same man that ordered your father to be killed.” He muttered. Chaerin raised an eyebrow at him. Her body was feeling empty, as if her organs had been pulled out, as if she was drained from feelings. He looked at her, lifting his hand towards her, taking the knife from her hands. “My father.”

“An eye for an eye.” She muttered as she remembered Kikwang’s words the day his own father was murdered. It was as vivid as if she was hearing them now. She looked at Jiyong as another tear fell from her eyes. It was the perfect offer, an eye for an eye, it would fulfill her desire of killing the man who killed her father. And she pondered on it, she even embraced the idea as her own, imagining herself killing a man with her beloved’s face.

“That’s how my world deals with things.” He said. His voice was low and husky as she set the knife aside. Chaerin lifted her head, looking straight into his eyes. That was the first time she saw the killer in him, and it was the first time she loved it, she felt secure and protected with him.

“I’ll do it myself.”

 


Gily's Notes: Oh well...

I find myself in a position where updates will be mooooorreee late. I started a new job, thank you, and it requires a fair time of my life. (in a Hospital)

I beg your understanding and that you bear with this. Please upvote and coment, I love coments!

Happy Reading ~

Gily ♥