Forgiveness

Twist Of Destiny

The sun slowly hit the mountains as it slowly hid behind them. The day was turning to night, the twilight was already all over the skies. The people were returning to their homes, minding their own business in their own little worlds. People oblivious to their surroundings, to the people around them.

In a dark alley, just behind a convenience store where people were getting in and out, buying their own things to continue with their daily routine, a man was on his knees, trembling as he looked at the person in front of him, holding a golden gun. A person whose hand didn’t tremble the least bit.

“I can tell you all you need, just please, please, I have a baby that needs me.” The kneeled man pleaded.

“You will tell me everything I need anyways.” Jiyong said. A smirk was plastered on his face as he heard the man pleading for his dear life.

“But please, please don’t kill me.”

“You will be surprised how much I have heard that sentence.” Jiyong said as he walked closer to the man. He scrunched his face as Jiyong’s gun touched his forehead. “But tell me, who are the heirs to the Lees.”

“T-That I don’t know. No one in the Lees companies know who they are, or what they do.” The man said. Jiyong rolled his eyes and cracked his neck.

“Is that so? And you still dare to ask for mercy when you won’t cooperate?” Jiyong said.

“I-I can give you information you might find useful.” The man said.

“Pray tell, Taecyeon.”

“I-I h-have codes, codes to the Lees bank accounts. They have been washing a lot of money lately. Rumor has it they are expecting a little old feud to explode again, and they have been taking the necessary preparations.”

“Preparations huh? Interesting…” Jiyong muttered.

“Yes, now that the twins are dead, only one of the Lees is left. They said he doubled the protection on the heirs, so probably it will be impossible to find them.”

“The twins are dead?” Jiyong asked. Taecyeon nodded eagerly.

“Lee Kihyun and Lee Kijin both had been killed. Late Kihyun had been dead for more than 10 years, but recently, Kijin was found dead somewhere on Seoul, their eldest brother, Sooman, had doubled the security on the remaining Lees, that includes the heirs.”

“And do they have any idea on who killed Kijin?” Jiyong asked but the man shook his head.

“As far as I know, they don’t. But I’d say they know, otherwise, why would they prepare for a feud war?” Taecyeon said and Jiyong widened his eyes. His mind started to work fast as he realized the points he had been missing. “Now please sir, let me live.” Taecyeon said. Jiyong looked down and chuckled.

“Sweet dreams, my dear Taecyeon.” He said and pulled the trigger. He quickly took his phone out and walked out of the alley, hiding his gun behind his jacket as he waited until it cooled down.

The phone rang a few times, until a voice answered. Jiyong took a deep breath and stopped walking, looking down at the pavement.

“Is everything alright?”

“Father, I need to speak with you.”

“Come home tonight, we will speak.” His father answered. Jiyong bit his lip and nodded.

“I am on my way.”

“Good. Take care my son.” His father said and ended the call. Jiyong continued to look down as he put the phone back on his pocket. Taking a deep breath, he walked towards his car and drove away.

The mansion was as he always remembered it, huge, spotless and terrifying. He rolled the windows down as he neared the gates, where a guard walked towards his car. It always bothered him how they had to check him whenever he came, that’s why he never came back. The guard looked at him and nodded as he walked away and the gates opened slowly. Jiyong drove inside, trying to avoid looking at the Gardenias and Tulips his mother has ordered to plant when they recently moved there. They were still beautiful, all bloomed and dancing happily to the wind.

The house had recently been painted to a sand color, the doors and windows were painted in a dark mahogany color, but, aside from that, everything was still the same. From the marble stairs to the flowers all around it. A normal Villa in the outside of the city. Whoever saw it, would think of home, of a family and happiness, but Jiyong saw something else. Treason, pain, broken family and broken dreams.

Parking his car, Jiyong took deep breaths before getting out, putting his guns on his belt but not bothering in hiding them. He walked through the big Mahogany Doors, taking out his jacket and shoes, the guns hanging on each side of his belt as he hanged the jacket on the wall and walked in. The entrance was the same, empty, only one statue in the middle of the room and a big portrait of the Kwon family, his parents and himself, hanging in the back. With a frown he looked at the picture, at the false smiles and caresses, then walked through the door to the left, one that led to one of the main living rooms in the villa.

White sofa on top of white carpets and beige walls where everything in that room. In the farthest back of the living room, stood his mother, eyeing a portrait in her hands. Jiyong cleared his throat and his mother turned around, smiling widely as she saw her only son standing at the door. “Jiyong, what a surprise.” She said and put the portrait back on the table and walked towards him. He nodded and bowed his head at her.

“Mother, I have come.” He said and she nodded, standing in front of him with her hands extended.

“Can I hug my son?” She asked and Jiyong straightened up, thinking about her request, but then shrugged. She smiled and held his face between her hands, looking at him. “How handsome have you gotten Jiyong? So handsome, my boy.” She said and finally, hugged him. Jiyong hugged her slightly, while she hugged him with all her strength. She slowly let go, her hands touching his guns. “Oh dear, you know I hate those in the house.”

“Where is my father?” Jiyong said, no emotion in his voice. She frowned and took a deep breath, resting her weight on one leg.

“I should have known. He must be in his office, I don’t know.” She said and walked towards a door on the back of the living room, one Jiyong remembered, led towards the gardens.

“Thank you.” He said and walked towards the stairs that were at the back of the living room, next to the door that led to the garden. The stairs were surrounded by a wall made of glass. Jiyong walked up to the second floor, where his father’s office was.

Knocking the door, he slowly turned the doorknob, careful not to disturb his father. “Come in.” He said. Jiyong gulped and opened the door completely. His father, as usual, was looking at some papers on his desk. “Jiyong, glad you came.”

“Father.” Jiyong said as he bowed. His father nodded and rested his back on the chair, looking at Jiyong.

“So, what brings you here all of a sudden?”

“You invited me, remember?” Jiyong said as he sat in a black leather chair in front of the desk. For all his life, he had always sat on the chair whenever he wanted to talk to his father.

“On your request, what can I help you with?” Younghwan asked. Jiyong fidgeted with his fingers, then looked at his father and let out a sigh.

“I want to ask something.” Jiyong said.

“And what is it?”

“What is the importance of the Lees’ Heirs for the companies?” Jiyong asked. Younghwan widened his eyes slightly, then relaxed and moved to the front, putting his elbows on the desk.

“Have you found them?” Younghwan asked but Jiyong shook his head.

“Not yet, but my team is on it.”

“The importance, you want to know…” Younghwan said and let out a sigh. “They are the most important thing for all companies at the moment Jiyong.”

“Why?”

“Oh my son, why wouldn’t they? Right now, the Lees own almost the entire peninsula, even the government, the own.”

“It still doesn’t explains the importance of the heirs.” Jiyong asked and his father smiled.

“Each heir has a code, and each code is a key to their main account, which holds all the keys to all the companies they own. Let us just say each heir is one key that, once you unite them, unlocks a bigger bolt.” Younghwan said.

“If that’s so, why would you want them dead? Aren’t they most useful alive?” Jiyong said and Younghwan smirked.

“That would be if the code was given by word.”

“By word?” Jiyong asked and Younghwan nodded.

“All we know is that that code could be anywhere, a necklace, a bracelet, one gun, a knife, anywhere and anything, that’s why we need them dead, so we can have access to their houses and find the key.”

“Is that so?”

“And also, to stop the war that’s raising as we speak. The Lees, like us, have their alliances, the Kims are allied to them, also the Chois, and you well know how powerful those families are. We can’t take our chances.” Younghwan said.

“Father, killing the heirs will only give them another reason to war.” Jiyong said. Younghwan smirked and shook his head.

“No my son, killing the heirs will weaken the Lees, only Sooman will be left, and it’s not that he’s not a threat, but without his heirs, people will start putting a price over his head, and it will be less hard to take that family down.” Younghwan explained. Jiyong nodded and rested his back on his chair.

“That’s why they took so much bother in hiding them.” Jiyong said and Younghwan nodded.

“That’s their insurance, keeping them in hiding means a better chance to keep them alive, and once the old Lees dies, they can take over, even without letting themselves be known.”

“But you have me.” Jiyong said and Younghwan nodded.

“I have you, my son. The best soldier one could have, and the best spy. I couldn’t be more proud.”

“But what if I’m killed? With my life, I could be killed any moment, what then?” Jiyong asked and Younghwan got serious, his face stern and firm. Jiyong gulped and slightly lowered his face, feeling afraid he might have angered his father.

“You think you’re not protected?” Younghwan asked and Jiyong shook his head quickly.

“That’s not what I meant father.” Jiyong said.

“You think I enjoy sending you on those missions? I have my heart tore in two whenever we don’t know about you for more than two hours! Jiyong, we care about you more than what you think. You’re too valuable for us, for me.”

“Yes father.”

“The Yang brothers have done wonders to protect you, and I am more than grateful for their help. Hyunsuk had sworn to me your protection, why would you doubt it?”

“I never doubted it, father. I am sorry.” Jiyong said, now looking down at his hands. “The Yang brothers, they had done well.”

“I know you don’t like them Jiyong, I know it, but you have to understand they are the most suited to take charge, for now. Once you have matured, you know that company you love so much will be yours, after all, you were the one who worked to get it on top, I am not blind.”

“Yes, father.” Jiyong said and finally looked up at his father.

“My son, if that’s all, I would like for you to leave, I have too much work on my hands.” Younghwan said and Jiyong nodded, standing up.

“Thank you for your time, father.” Jiyong said and bowed. His father nodded and gestured him to get out. Jiyong turned around quickly and left, closing the door softly and hurrying down the stairs. He quickly grabbed his jacket and shoes and walked out.

“Jiyong.” His mother called him as he opened the door to his car. Jiyong looked back at her and took a deep breath, controlling his impulses.

“Yes, mother?” He said as his mother walked towards him. She put a hand on his cheek and smiled.

“I would like to ask for a favor.” She said. Jiyong gulped but nodded.

“What do you need, mother?” He said and she looked down. She bit her lip and looked back at him.

“Your forgiveness.”