A Mess

Twist Of Destiny

Morning came terribly quick, and the rays of the sun hit his face constantly, interrupting his deep slumber. Jiyong stirred in bed, covering his face with his arm as he searched around, touching the empty spot on bed next to him. He frowned and sat up, his body was feeling less sore at the moment, and he could easily move without paying the price. “Chaerin?” He called as he looked around his room, his face swollen and his eyes slightly closed.

As if on cue, the door opened, and Chaerin walked in, carrying a tray of food in her hands. She looked at him and smiled brightly, her eyes, bloodshot and hollow, with black half-moons decorating them, widened at him. “You’re awake, that’s good.” She said as she put the tray next to him. He continued to look at her with narrow eyes as she put a little table on bed, right next to him. As she finished putting the food in the table, he grabbed her wrist, and she looked at him with a confused expression. “Is something the matter?”

“You didn’t slept.” He said, and she crooked her head, raising an eyebrow.

“Of course I did.” She said, freeing her wrist from his grasp. He narrowed his eyes and crossed his arms, still looking at her.

“And you were crying, what’s wrong?” He said, his voice groggy, but still fierce and firm. She smiled at him and rolled her eyes while shaking her head no.

“You’re imagining things. Go on, eat so you can take your pills.” She said and he raised an eyebrow.

“I am not hungry.” He told her. She quickly frowned and threw a spoon in the little table and let out an annoyed sigh, glaring at him.

“Don’t make this hard, just eat the damned food and take your ing pills.” She said and stood. He smirked and nodded, looking at the little table.

“Moody and stressed, you clearly didn’t slept last night. What happened?”

“Well for one, you were screaming and whimpering and even hitting things. You sure have a terrible sleep.” She said, now looking at him with her arms crossed. “Also, you were having a fever, and I was afraid something might have happened to you if I dozed, so I stayed awake.”

“You shouldn’t do that, it’s not healthy.” He said, now slicing his pancakes and eating a piece.

“You would have done the same for me.” She mumbled as she sat at the foot of the bed.

“But I am used to not sleeping, you’re not.”

“I was a DJ and a waitress, I am used to the lack of sleep.” She said and he nodded, smiling at her.

“I almost forgot you worked at Eliu. I’m sorry.” He said and drank from the juice. “It seems it was eons ago, but in reality it was just a few weeks.”

“Yeah,” She mumbled as she looked at the floor. “Everything has changed so drastically.”

“For you that is, for me it’s still the same.” He said, then smiled at her, a bright, genuine smile that took her off-guard. “Of course, aside of you. You have been the best thing that have ever changed in my life.” She blushed and nodded, smiling slightly. He set the juice back on the table, still smiling at her as his phone rang. Chaerin jumped slightly, looking at the table where his phone was vibrating. Jiyong frowned and held it, slightly looking annoyed. He answered the call, his voice dramatically changing from sweet to menacing.

“What?” He hissed as he moved to the side, letting his legs hang at the edge of his bed. Chaerin held a breath as she saw his injured leg moving casually.

“Jiyong…” She started saying, but he lifted a hand, putting one finger over his lips, telling her to stay quiet.

“I am injured,” Jiyong said, now scowling at the air as he nodded. “Right, I know, I’m on it.” He said and ended the call, taking deep breaths before looking at her.

“Is something the matter?” She asked and he shook his head, setting the table aside as he stood up. Chaerin stood up too, extending her arms towards him but he just dismissed her as he limply walked towards the door.

“I have something to do Chaerin, I will be out.” He said and continued walking out while limping. She nodded and let out a sigh as she looked at her phone. She was completely lost in time, so lost she hadn’t realize it was Thursday already. Her heart skipped a beat as she heard Jiyong calling for Youngbae, his tone serious.

Taking cautious steps, Chaerin walked out, her hand holding her steady at the door frame as she looked at Jiyong, shirtless, only wearing his underwear as he stood in front of Youngbae. He also was shirtless, though he was wearing shorts. “You can’t do it.” Chaerin managed to hear Youngbae talking. Jiyong crossed his arms as he scowled at Youngbae.

“I have to, you know how this works.” Jiyong said and Youngbae shook his head.

“It’s impossible, you’re still recovering.”

“I can manage, let’s go.” Jiyong said and walked back towards his room. Chaerin widened her eyes as Jiyong’s eyes met hers, suddenly feeling scared of his next movement. He, however, just smiled at her slightly and walked into the room, still limping. She walked into the room, her fingers moving anxiously against each other as she looked at him putting on a pair of skinny jeans. He flinched as he managed to get his injured leg into the pants, but he was clearly having a hard time.

“Can I help you?” She said as she knelt in front of him, helping him put on his pants. Jiyong chuckled and looked at her as she slid them up, then buttoned it.

“I am a ing mess, aren’t I?” He murmured as she handed him a black shirt that was lying in bed, the same one he was wearing the night before.

“It depends.” She said and he chuckled, putting on his shirt.

“I can’t even get properly dressed, I’m all ed up.”

“Yes, you are,” She said as she took the boots that were next to the bed. “Which makes me wonder, where are you going?”

“To the company.” He simply said as she put the boot on his injured leg, then laced them. “I have a job.”

“A job?” She asked and he shrugged as she put the other boot. She looked at him into his eyes and slightly shook her head. “You can’t go.”

“I have to, and it’s not like it’s a hard job. One bullet will do.” He said, and she widened her eyes as she stood up, turning around, facing the mirror. She still wasn’t used to him talking like that, she had a terrible time talking about murder, considering her father was murdered by someone like Jiyong. She heard him standing up, and he hugged her back, kissing her neck softly. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s ok.” She murmured, touching his hands as he embraced her.

“Will you be here when I get back?” He asked and she took a deep breath, turning around in his arms, now facing him, slowly snaking her arms around his neck.

“I have to go back to my apartment. There are a few things I have to fix.” She said. Jiyong let out a sigh and nodded, slowly letting go of her.

“I will see you tomorrow then.” He said. She opened to talk, then bit her lips and nodded. Friday.

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” She lied. He smiled and kissed her lips, then grabbed his gun and slowly walked out of the room. She let out another breath and grabbed her jacket, walking out after Jiyong. She heard him talking to Youngbae as they both exited the apartment.

Resting her back on the wall, she tried to breath, looking at the door which Jiyong had just walked out. Clutching onto her phone, she dialed her cousin’s phone number, pressing it onto her face as she waited for him to answer.

“Chaerin? Where are you? We are waiting for you!” Kikwang said, his voice cheerful and full of happiness. Chaerin bit her lip and breathed.

“Hi! I’m sorry I’m late, and I’m sorry to bother you Ki but I think I need you to pick me up.” She said. She heard the music fading, then he spoke.

“Is everything alright?” He asked and she nodded.

“Yes, everything’s alright. I overslept.” She lied. “I’ll text you the address so you come and pick me up.”

“Alright then. Bye.”

“Bye.” She said and ended the call, quickly texting him Jiyong’s direction. She let out a breath as she grabbed her purse and exited the apartment, locking the door after her.

Not long after she stood in front of Jiyong’s building, Kikwang’s car stopped in front of her, the windows slowly rolling down as she got closer. Kikwang was wearing a pair of sunglasses, sitting in the passenger’s seat as he looked forwards, his jaw clenched. “Chaerin.” He said and she nodded, taking a look at his side. Taemin was driving, his face also tightened, but none the less, he looked at her and smiled softly.

“Taemin!” She said and he nodded, gesturing her to get in.

“Planning to stay there? Get in.” He said and she nodded, getting in the backseat. She quickly went over Taemin and hugged him, so tight he whimpered in her arms.

“I’m sorry, I’m just so happy to see you.” She said and he nodded, coughing a slight bit.

“I am too babe, I am too.” He said, then looked at Kikwang, who was slightly tapping his fingers on the door. Chaerin narrowed her eyes, and just then, Kikwang cleared his throat as he rolled up the windows.

“So this is the Kwon’s apartment.” He murmured, and Chaerin nodded slightly. “You’re like, dating him now?”

“We’re sort of together, yes.” She answered honestly. Kikwang humorlessly chuckled and nodded.

“Fine then, that’s great.” He said and sat straight, tensing his jaw muscles. Chaerin narrowed her eyes, crossing her legs as she slumped in the back seat. Her hands played on her lap as she looked at Kikwang taking out something from his pocket. “Get us back Tae.”

Without any other word spoken, they drove into the street. Chaerin continued looking at her phone, hoping for Jiyong to call her, but nothing came. Her mind would play tricks on her, imagining him all covered in blood again, but this time, being his own blood. She knew she couldn’t stand him getting injured, not after what she had to see. Maybe that was the life she had chosen, maybe that was her own path, living with someone who could walk out of the door and never coming back. Her fate could be linked to loss, losing everything she loved, being drained of that warm feeling of being surrounded by people she loved and treasured. She couldn’t get over it, couldn’t get through losing again, not now when she had found something to hang on to, something she could hope for and gain from it.

The company was partially empty, it was a day of audition, and everyone was at the old building, checking the aspiring singers. Jiyong was supposed to be there, he was supposed to be a judge and selecting who would start training at the company, his company, but he wasn’t. Limping towards the elevator, Jiyong looked at the crystal doors that led to the old building and frowned, no one could see him in that state.

“Ji, if you want, you can wait for me at the cafeteria while I retrieve the information.” Youngbae said as he helped Jiyong walk towards the elevator.

“No, I want him to see me like this, I want him to understand I am not some punk that just wants to slack off.” Jiyong whimpered as he took a deep breath. His body was starting to ache all over, his head was pulsating as he continued to make an enormous effort to not hurt his leg.

“Want me to call someone else? What if that target is too much, some big bastard from some rival company?” Youngbae said and Jiyong chuckled, finally reaching the elevator.

“I can do it.” Jiyong said as he tried to stand straight in front of the doors. Youngbae narrowed his eyes as he looked at him, but Jiyong simply raised an eyebrow at him.

“You barely made it here, and you can take on a target?”

“, I couldn’t get rid of this, I didn’t chose it.” Jiyong hissed, then crooked his head. “Now press that damned button so we can continue with our lives.”

“Alright!” Youngbae said as he hit the button, looking at Jiyong with a pissed expression. “But if you bleed to death, you have got to write a letter to Chaerin, because I am not telling her.” Jiyong rolled his eyes as he entered the elevator, Youngbae following him.

The bell to the third floor rang, and the doors opened. Jiyong walked out, supported by Youngbae, who was still glaring at every unanimated object in their way. They entered the small office at the end of the hallway, one that was hidden from view. Jiyong scrunched his nose as he saw the walls, filled with blood, and a few bits of flesh were scattered around the floor. “Messy es.” He muttered.

“I guess someone was here for interrogation.” Youngbae said as he walked towards the table, grabbing an enveloped that was lying on it. “Mail.” He handed it to Jiyong who quickly opened it, taking out the single sheet in it. He looked at it, his eyebrows furrowing as he lifted his face and looked at Youngbae.

“Are they scheming a war?” He said and handed Youngbae the profile. Youngbae looked at it and narrowed his eyes.

“Kim Kibum,” He said and looked at Jiyong. “Youngest of the Kims?”

“Our deal friend Jonghyun is his older brother.” Jiyong said and stood beside Youngbae, looking at the profile. “It’s either this little boy did something he shouldn’t, or these bastards are planning another war.”

“I’d vote for the second one.” Youngbae said and handed Jiyong the profile. “Still up for this?”

“Do I get another choice?” Jiyong said and Youngbae shook his head as he took out his cellphone.

“I’ll just call the boys and see where we could find this bastard. Better end this quick.” Youngbae said as he pressed the phone to his cheek. Jiyong nodded and looked at the paper again, nibbling his lower lip as he looked at the picture of Kibum.

“Let’s just do this…” He muttered as he grabbed his lighter and lit up the paper. He watched it burn, the fire slowly consuming it as he looked at it, almost in a trance in the dance of flames, smelling the nice and familiar aroma of burnt paper. Youngbae kept talking at the back as the paper finally consumed itself completely, only leaving a thin piece of black, burnt paper. Jiyong looked at Youngbae and let a sigh, watching him put his phone back into his pocket.

“Alright, he’s going to be at Kijin’s funeral tomorrow.” Youngbae said as he took out a cigarette and lighted it up, inhaling it, then letting out the smoke dance out of his lips. “Apparently, the Kims and the Lees are planning an alliance, probably making some youngsters get married. We have to go there and watch them, watch Kibum’s movements so we can know his weak spot.”

“Tomorrow?” Jiyong said as he looked at his watch. “Well, it’s almost 7pm, should we just stay here or get back?”

“I’d say we go and get ourselves ready. Seungri and Seunghyun are on their way.”

“Why did you told them to come?” Jiyong asked and Youngbae shrugged.

“I didn’t, they just invited themselves.”

“Great, now I have squadron jackass on my back…” Jiyong muttered, and Youngbae simply laughed, nodding as he walked out of the room. Jiyong walked after him, limping his way back to the studio, his beloved studio. A place where he could be and simply be. His only little space in earth that gave him peace, gave him freedom. No, he had found another place like that, he had found peace and freedom somewhere else, and to that, he smiled wholeheartedly, knowing he finally had found something to come back to, someone to look after, someone to long for.


Gily's Notes: OH MAI GASH! I'm sooo sorry.

Ok, I am sick of apologizing for my lack of time AND inspiration. I just... I just don't see how to end this story without making another mess...

I think I have lost my touch, honestly...

Anyways, hope you enjoy it,

Happy Reading ~

Gily ♥