Mysteries

Twist Of Destiny

The wind blew softly, warmly touching her skin as she turned around and around. The flowers were blossomed, the aroma filling the air as she laughed out hard, feeling the freshness of freedom within her grasp. The warm rays of sun touched her skin, almost feeling like a hug, a warm hug embracing her completely, making her feel safe.

“I love you.” A whisper on her ear made her stop turning, only to find herself in the arms of her father. She gasped as he caressed her face, smiling at her as he always used to do. “My daughter.”

“Father.” She gasped as he continued to smile at her, touching her hair softly, playing with it in his hands.

“How much have you grown, my daughter?” He said as he slowly kissed her forehead. A tear escaped her eye as he pulled away, still smiling at her.

“Father, how can I go on?” She said and he crooked his head, as if he wasn’t sure what she was saying. “How can I take on this task?”

“What task?” He asked and she let out a sigh as tears continued to fall from her eyes.

“I need to avenge you father, I will kill whoever killed you.” She said and he frowned.

“Why, Chaerin?”

“Because it wasn’t fair! It was terrible!” She whined like a little girl. Her father smiled and shook his head slowly.

“Why are you so sure it was unfair?”

“Because you’re my father! You’re a great man and that person ripped you away from me! Father! Tell me what to do?!” She begged as her knees gave in. Her father kept on standing, looking at her from above.

“What are you going to do when you realize you had fallen on your own hole?” His father said. She looked up at him with narrow, confused eyes. “What are you going to do when you realize you cannot do what you desire the most? What are you going to do when you realize you cannot escape that hole you have dug?”

“What do you mean father? This is not what I desire, this is what I must do. I have been going in circles, not knowing what to do.”

“You are afraid, my child, you are too afraid. And you should be.” She looked up as his voice got distant.

“Father?!” She screamed as she tried to run after him, but he only got more and more distant, until only his voice was heard.

“I pray for you to find a way out of that hole, because you will end up just like me.” He said, and that was the last thing she heard from him.

Chaerin let herself fall on her knees as she cried, rivers of golden blood flowed around her as a dragon danced through it. She gasped as she fell back, the dragon dancing graciously, covered in golden blood as it looked at her, inviting her to join it. She felt lured by its charms, slowly getting closer to it.

“Oh Chaerin…” He murmured, it was a man. The dragon extended a hand and gestured her to follow it. She tried, but as she tried to move further, hands started to pull her away.

“Let me go!” She screamed as she tried to follow the dragon that was beckoning for her to go towards it but the hands continued to drag her away. “Let me go!”

“Chaerin…” Someone called her name. She shook her head abruptly as she continued to fight the hands all over her. “Chaerin!” Another hand touched her face, and she screamed while she punched it away from her face, suddenly bolting upright, realizing she had been dreaming.

Panting, she looked to the side, where a whimpering Kikwang was standing up from the floor, caressing his face. “That hurts.” He muttered as he tried to move his jaw around, trying to ease the pain.

“Kikwang?” She panted as she looked at him, still gasping.

“In the flesh… barely.” He muttered as he sat next to her on bed. She looked at him while she tried to recover her breath.

“What are you doing here?” She asked. Kikwang smiled and patted her hand that was supporting her weight. She looked down at their hands, then at his face. He looked tired, dark circles decorating his under eyes as his cheeks started to look hollow.

“I came to talk to you. You have been ignoring my calls these few days.” He said and she bit her lip, nodding.

“I know, I’m sorry.” She said, feeling guilty of his deteriorated state.

“It’s alright.” He said and smiled at her. She nodded as she hugged her knees. “How are you?”

“Broken, apparently.” She said and Kikwang crooked his head.

“Broken?” He echoed and she nodded.

“I’ve been thinking about it, and I think that’ the most suitable word for how I’m feeling.” She said as she straightened up, looking at him directly. She noticed he narrowed his eyes as he looked at her, and before she could do anything, he was holding her jaw in place as he examined her eye.

“Who the did this to you?” He hissed as he saw what she remembered was her swollen, black eye. She slapped his hand away and tried to hide her face behind her hair.

“No one.” She said and got out of bed, hurrying towards her bathroom. Kikwang held her arm and spin her around, holding her in place as he took a look at her face.

“That’s a ing fist on your face? Who the dared to touch your face? Was it that Kwon guy?!” Kikwang yelled as Chaerin tried to free herself from his grasp.

“What? No! Let go!” She screamed as she finally managed to free herself. “Have you gone mad?!” She screamed again as she stormed into her bathroom.

Chaerin locked her door and rested her back on it. Kikwang knocked on it hard, pushing her to the front whenever he hit the door. “Lee Chaerin, I will kill him if he hurt you! You hear me?!”

“What do you know about any Kwon guy anyways?! What the do you care?!” She screamed back. She heard silence, then another punch on the door and a few angry footsteps walking out of her room. She let out a sigh and looked at the mirror. She saw her black eye popping out of her milky white skin, way to visible for it to go unnoticed. She let out a sigh and washed her face, then and walked out of the bathroom. Kikwang wasn’t in her room anymore, so she walked out, and found him sitting on the sofa, his legs crossed and his face firm. The muscles on his jaw were popping, and the veins on his hands were throbbing under his skin.

“Chaerin, please tell me, who did this to you?” He said, now in a calmer voice. Chaerin nodded slightly as she sat in a chair in front of him.

“It was an accident Ki, no one did this to me.” She said. “Well, no one I know.”

“Please explain, I am losing my mind here.” Kikwang said as he traced his fingers through his hair. Chaerin let out a sigh and nodded. Her hands where tightly put over her knees as she sat straight in the chair, looking at Kikwang.

“I will tell you, but don’t freak out and don’t interrupt me.”

“Ok, tell me.” He said, clearly losing his patience. Chaerin let out a sigh and nodded, quickly telling him the story of how she ended up watching a murder scene. Of course, she avoided the dirty details, she didn’t told him how the masked man cut the man’s finger or how he seemed to enjoy doing it. Kikwang was listening to her intently, not interrupting her at all.

“So, I tried to stop him, and had him down, but somehow, he manage to get up and finally punched me, knocking me down.” She said.

“He knocked you down?”

“It was a pretty hard punch.” She told him. Kikwang started to rub his hands together as he looked down.

“Why I wasn’t informed?” He said. Chaerin narrowed her eyes at him.

“Why would you?”

“Hyunseung was there, wasn’t he? Why didn’t he told me?” Kikwang said. Chaerin let out a confused chuckle as she shrugged.

“Why would he?”

“He well knows how important you are, I think I need to speak to him.” Kikwang said and stood up, walking towards the kitchen. Chaerin stayed sitting, looking at him as he held his phone out and dialed someone. She continued to look at him as he started talking, too low for her to hear. For some reasons, she got suspicious, he was acting extremely weird.

“Kikwang…” She called out to him. He looked at her and gestured her to wait. She stood up and walked towards him, glaring at him. “Kikwang, I need to talk to you.”

“You were told you had to keep an eye on her, how come I get here and I find her with a swollen eye? Can you explain?” Kikwang said and looked at her, signaling her to give him a minute.

“End the call.” Chaerin said.

“No, this is unforgivable and I will take part on this. I will not forgive her being hurt.” Kikwang said. Chaerin felt anger rising through her veins, and before she knew it, she snapped the phone out of Kikwang’s hand and ended the call, throwing the phone away. “What the are you doing?!”

“You will listen to me right now, Lee Kikwang!” She screamed, pointing at him. “One, what the do you know about the ‘Kwon Guy’ and two, what the do you have to do with Jang Hyunseung?” Kikwang looked at her blankly.

“I don’t know anything about any Kwon guy, you just mentioned him once and I thought-”

“Don’t ing lie to me!” She screamed and he stopped talking. “I have never spoken to you about ANY Kwon guy.”

“But I have talked to Hyunseung, so there’s that.” Kikwang said, clearly looking nervous.

“You have made a mistake Lee Kikwang, and I demand of you to explain now what do you know.” Her phone started to ring as she stared into Kikwang’s eyes. He looked to the side first, at her vibrating phone on top of a crystal table. She then looked, rolling her eyes as she walked towards it. Jiyong’s name was on the screen, and she looked back at Kikwang before answering the call.

“Ji, this is not a good time-”

“Chaerin, I need you here now. The lyrics are all gone, I can’t find them anywhere!” Jiyong screamed on the phone. Chaerin narrowed her eyes as she turned to face the wall, giving her back to Kikwang.

“What do you mean they are gone? Did you search on the desk’s drawers? I left them on there.”

“I checked and they’re not there. Did Hyunsuk said he would get them?”

“No, I haven’t talked to him.”

“Please come, I’m going crazy. We can’t lose that work, it was too perfect.”

“Jiyong, I can’t right now…”

“Please, I’m begging you, please. I’m going crazy, this is not good, please.” He said in desperation before ending the call.

“Hello? Jiyong? Hello?” She said before looking at the phone’s screen. She scratched her head and stormed towards her room. Worry was creeping through her like spider webs, it wasn't normal for Jiyong to be all desperate over something so silly. “I need to go to work, but I will come back, and I want answers.” She hissed at Kikwang before locking herself on her room, getting ready in a haste.

After half an hour, she was already running down the street towards the YG Building with her phone tightly held on her hand. It was still morning, but the traffic was already too heavy, so she decided to make a run for it. She was nearing the building, she could finally see it, and as she smiled inwardly, a man stepped in front of her, making her fall on her . “!” She hissed as she stood up, holding her phone tight on her hand. The man was smirking at her as she dusted her clothes, and she bowed slightly at him, feeling awkward. “I apologize, I was in a hurry, I didn’t see you.”

“It’s ok, it’s most fortunate.” The man said as he neared her. “I was looking for you.” Chaerin narrowed her eyes as she took a step back. The man smirked again and put a hand into his jacket. She widened her eyes and started to run again, not even stopping to check what he was holding on his hand. She ran as fast as she could until she reached the YG Building’s gates, where the guard was looking at her with wide eyes.

“Miss Lee, what’s wrong?”

“Please Mr. Choi, open up!” She said slightly hitting the gates. She looked back and saw the man running towards her direction, and her desperation grew as the gates slowly opened. She started to jump on spot until she managed to sneak into the gates. “Close it! Close it!” She screamed, and the guard did as told, just in time before the man hit the gates, being left out.

“Miss Lee!” The guard said as he hurried towards her. She jumped when he touched her, then calmed down as he hurried her into the building. 

“I will find you! I will find you!” The man screamed from outside the gates as she was hurried inside. Some other security guards went out, taking care of the man as she got into the building. Her hands were trembling unconsciously as Mr. Choi sat her down in one of the lounge chairs on the lobby.

“Breath Miss Lee, breath.” He said as he caressed her head. She nodded as she gulped, trying to control her shivers.

“I am alright.” She said as she nodded, touching Mr. Choi’s hand. “I’m alright.”

“What happened?! Where is she?!” She heard a ruckus on the main stairs, hurried footsteps making their way towards her as she stood up, looking through the crowd of security guards and people. From the center of the crowd, Jiyong emerged, looking as pissed and fierce as always. He was looking at her with fierce eyes as he got near. She gulped and took a step back, feeling fret all over again. “Chaerin, what happened?!” He said as he reached her, holding her shoulders.

“Jiyong…” She let out a breath as he shook her slightly.

“What was that all about? Who was that man? What did he wanted?!” Jiyong said as he shook her. Chaerin gulped and shook her head as she looked down, gathering the courage to slap his hands away from her. And she did, earning a wide stare from Jiyong.

“You’re hurting me.” She said as she rubbed her shoulders. “I don’t know him, I don’t know who he is.” She said. Jiyong narrowed his eyes and nodded, turning around to face the little crowd around the lobby.

“Double the security, we might be having a stalker on our heels!” Jiyong said and everyone nodded, scattering quickly out of the lobby. Chaerin noticed the strange behavior, but shrugged it off, remembering the man’s face and stare.

“Jiyong…” She spoke, but he was too busy speaking with Youngbae and Hyunsuk. She gulped and looked at Mr. Choi, who smiled at her and nodded slightly.

“Everything will be alright now, don’t fret.”

“I’m alright Mr. Choi, thanks so much.” She said. Mr. Choi smiled and nodded, hugging her slightly. He was the type of man that one could find cute and lovable, and old, fat man with a handsome face and good manners. He reminded her of Santa Claus, of the happiness of Christmas, the innocence of it. He always made her feel warm whenever he talked to her or simply smiled at her.

“Whatever you need, you know where to find me.” He said as he patted her shoulders. Chaerin smiled and nodded.

“I know, thank you Mr. Choi.” She said and he smiled, walking out of the lobby. She turned to look at Jiyong again, who was walking towards her with a rather more calm face.

“How are you?” He asked as he stopped in front of her. She gulped and nodded at him.

“I’m alright.” She said. He nodded again and put a hand over her shoulder.

“The security has been doubled, you will be safe here.” He said and she nodded again.

“Thank you.”

“No need, but do tell me, you don’t know who he is?” He asked and she shook her head.

“No, I haven’t seen him in my whole life.” She said and Jiyong nodded.

“Good, come, you must be hungry.” He said and she raised an eyebrow. “I said dinner, we can change it for breakfast, or we can just add it, whatever you like.” She smiled and nodded, following him into the cafeteria. Her heart had calmed down, her breathing gotten to normal, and she, feeling relaxed and protected, decided to ignore all the suspicious behavior at the building, even if they were hard to ignore, she did.