The Funeral

Twist Of Destiny

The black veil danced with the wind as the people walked in. All dressed in black, hidden faces behind black hats and black little nets around their faces. The sobs were loud in the silent halls as the crowd moved softly towards the center of the chapel. Her eyes never met anyone’s as she made her way through the mass of mourning people. She couldn’t ditch that day, couldn’t avoid the reality of saying her last farewell to the man that, after all, had raised her and taught her all she knew.

A person stood in front of the coffin, black suit all nice and tight, hair a shade of silver blonde, eyes as intense as her own, with a thin yet dark eyeliner accentuating the Asian heritage. She looked up, suddenly interested in the person in front of her father’s final bed. “My sincerest condolences for the respected Lee family, we have lost an invaluable person today.” He spoke, his voice was like velvet, sweet, yet sensual. She took a seat in the front row, along with everyone else, who were as charmed as her with that man in front of the black and silver coffin.

“It is one of those days one can never forget, for the world has lost an incredible man. A father, a friend, a son, a brother. I, Kim Jonghyun, share your pain, your suffering. Farewell, dear Kijin, we will see each other in the next life.” He continued. Chaerin narrowed her eyes at him. Who was he in the life of her father? Now, sitting there, watching her father resting in a coffin with a fair amount of strange faces gave her the most bizarre feeling of all, she didn’t knew her father at all. Kim Jonghyun bowed at her father, then walked up to her and her family, her mother her uncle and her cousins, and bowed. He stopped in front of her, almost without looking at her and bowed his head lightly. “I will not forget about this, and I swear to you, we will get revenge.” He murmured, then walked towards the next row of seats, where another man was looking at them. She crooked her head slightly as Kim Jonghyun touched his shoulder, then sat next to him. They looked similar, only that Jonghyun was a lot broader, while the other man was skinnier. While Kim Jonghyun looked masculine and rough, the other man looked elegant and delicate.

She found herself staring, and quickly looked to the front, where her father’s body was resting. Another man walked up to the dais, looking as depressed as the man before. “I am here, with a deep burden inside of my heart. I have shared so many memories through my whole life, and now, watching him like this, bring tears to my eyes.” He said. Chaerin crossed her legs as she tried to contain her discomfort. It was as if she was crashing someone else’s funeral, not her father’s. She could feel her knuckles numb as she so hardly held onto the fabric of her black, simple dress. “If I could turn back time, I would most definitely be there, watching the man that gave end to my friend. I would have killed him with my bare hands if I could–”

“It is enough, come.” Another man got up and held him by his arm. Chaerin continued watching as the man that was talking shook his head, he was clearly drunk.

“No Joon, people have to listen to what I have to say!” The drunk man said as Joon tried to walk him back to the seats.

“I think they have heard enough father, now come.”

“We are cousins, Kijin and I! And I will kill the man who ended the life of my best friend, my cousin!” The man said as Joon finally managed to sit him near Kim Jonghyun, who moved to give him a glass of water. Chaerin shook her head as someone tapped on her knee. She quickly turned around, only to see Taemin bending over her.

“That’s a cousin of ours, Lee Changsun, also known as Lee Joon,” Taemin whispered in her ear. “And that drunk man is his father and our father’s cousin, Lee Sukgun.”

“Oh.” Chaerin muttered as she looked back at her newly found family. It was strange, even odd, but she stared at them. Joon tended his own father with such love she felt envious. She felt envious that she would never get the opportunity to do that, envious that they all knew her father more than herself. Kim Jonghyun touched Lee Joon’s shoulder and Joon nodded, sitting down next to him. “Taemin, who are those?” Chaerin said, signaling with her face Kim Jonghyun and the man next to him.

“Those are the Kims, our new alliance. Kim Jonghyun is the eldest son of the late Kim Woochoon, while Kim Kibum is the youngest.” Taemin explained. “They also have a sister, but she’s like you, hidden from this world. Their mother’s also unknown to everyone, only the closest to the Kims know them.”

“Do we know them?” Chaerin said and Taemin smirked.

“She’s hot, that much I can tell you.” He said and Chaerin shook her head smiling.

“ert.”

“Rumor has it Kim Kibum’s being getting himself involved in nasty jobs, we have to look that up.” Kikwang said, approaching them both. Chaerin looked at him without emotion while Taemin nodded, looking at the said man.

“And about the alliance?” Taemin said and Kikwang shrugged.

“We are still talking about it. For now, just gaze upon the most wanted bachelors in town.” Kikwang said and stood up, walking up to the dais. Chaerin raised an eyebrow and looked back at the Kims. They were looking at her, and she gulped when both of them bowed their heads. Chaerin did too, and looked to the front, back at Kikwang.

“Hate him or love him, he’s such a for being so perfect.” Taemin said in a sing-a-song tone. Chaerin scoffed and nodded.

“Let us love him until we hate him.” She said as Kikwang stood in front of the coffin, one hand on it as the other continued to be hidden in his pocket.

“My uncle,” He started, then took a deep breath. “My uncle was my father, a great man who took me into his house, raised me like his own after my own father died. They were twins, sharing the same love for the same things and the same people. They treasured their family very much, and the safety of us was their main priority. I will never be able to forget his words, always encouraging me to keep on going, to protect the family.” Finally, Chaerin felt a burning tear at the rim of her eye as she remembered the times when she was young and reckless, causing misfits all around the house along with Kikwang. Her father never complained, never punished them or told them nothing, only laughed at their own little messes.

“He never said no to us, never punished us or told us anything whenever we misbehave. He would always say it was child’s play and that we had to clean after ourselves. That was a lesson itself.” Chaerin couldn’t hold it in anymore, and she had to put a hand over to contain a sob. “He was simply amazing in everything he did, and in being a father,” He stopped and looked at Chaerin, who nodded at him, crooking her head as tears continued to fall. “He was the best of them all. Today, I’ve lost two fathers, I’ve tasted what lost is, but this has not weakened me, it has made me stronger. Made us stronger. For my father and my uncle, I stay strong, we stay strong. This is a mere ‘see you later’, not a ‘goodbye’, I know I will see them both, sooner or later, we will be together. Farewell, father.”

Chaerin quickly cleaned her tears as Kikwang walked back to his seat. She had been silently sobbing the whole time, though they felt so strange to her. She was mourning a father she didn’t really knew, though, she had known him all along. She stood up as another man did, but the man bowed his head and sat back down, allowing her to walk up. She saw the nervous movement of her family, yet she ignored it and continued walking until she reached her father’s coffin. She finally took a good look at him, and her heart constricted within her chest. Even if the embalmer did an impressive job, she could still see the burning marks of the bullet at the center of his forehead. She quickly put a hand on her chest and nodded, silently telling him she loved him and that she will miss him dearly.

“My father,” She started saying as she looked at him, peacefully resting inside of the coffin. “He was someone I looked up to, a person that not only taught me everything I know, but that loved me beyond everything, as I loved him. I don’t have pretty words to express all that I am feeling, and neither can I say how much revenge I want or not, so I will simply say, farewell my father, I will surely see you in the next life.” She bowed at her father, praying that, whenever he will be, she will be able to see him and that he would be ok. She straightened up, and a loud noise was heard at the back. She quickly turned around, only to see a few men running out of the chapel. She saw a lot of men running to the back, gun in hand, while a few others, including her cousins and family, ran towards her, crowding around her as they pushed her to the back.

“Get them out! We have an intruder!” A man yelled as someone grabbed Chaerin’s arm and pulled her back.

“Stop! STOP!” She screamed as she fought with the man that was pulling her. “Can’t we at least give my father a proper funeral?!”

“Chaerin, we are on high alert, the rumor has been spread that uncle’s funeral was today, and our enemies were spotted in the area. We have to flee.” Kikwang explained.

“This is unbelievable!” She screamed as the man pulled her again. “Let me go! I can walk!” She fought and the man nodded, letting her go as her cousins made way towards the back. She followed them, completely blinded by anger as she looked to the back, at the now empty chapel. She hissed and exited the place, swearing revenge yet again, but now, it was tainted with her anger, with her hatred. Whoever that is, I will rip their heart out and make them watch as I step on it.

The guns were ready, the knifes and daggers placed carefully on a belt hidden under a leathered jacket. Jiyong grunted as he finished gearing up, with a final knife hidden in his boot, where his injury still throbbed. “Ready?” Youngbae said as he hid another gun on his belt, hiding it with a simple yet stylish black jacket. Jiyong nodded, lacing the boot tighter so he could endure the pain and have complete motility of his leg.

“Always.” He said. He looked at Seungri, who was hiding a few knifes on a bag. “Don’t forget to keep me informed of Chaerin’s whereabouts. We need to keep her safe.”

“Yes, I know. She’s your liability and weakness.” Seungri said, and Jiyong glared at him.

“I’m being serious little , do your job and probably, you will get some more action.” Jiyong said and Seungri raised an eyebrow.

“The only action I could get is if she actually has a gun and is the enemy.” He said, and Jiyong rolled his eyes, yet he failed to see Youngbae’s warning stare. He saw Seungri scowling a bit before he walked towards Daesung, getting his receiver.

“Stop talking bull and move.” Youngbae hissed, and Jiyong nodded, standing up and grabbing his own. Seungri moved away, and Jiyong saw by the corner of his eye how Youngbae mouthed some curses at him.

“Is something wrong?” Jiyong asked, looking at the receiver. He put it on his ear and turned to look at Youngbae, who was looking at him with a peculiar expression.

“Nothing.” He said. Jiyong frowned and looked at Seungri, who was looking at the door, his back facing him.

“Great, because we can’t have any distractions. This is a one shot, once they find out we’re after the target, the stakes will be higher and the chances will deduct.” Jiyong informed. Everyone nodded and walked towards the doors. He took one last look at his apartment, something he always did before going to fulfill a job, and walked out.

Once in the car, everyone remained silent. Some of them praying, some others stretching the fingers while Jiyong simply looked through the window. Now the pain was replaced with adrenaline as he saw Seungri’s car speeding after them. She was going to be safe while he ended the life of another human. Thinking it now, it had a sense of sickness to it. A killer wanting to protect one life, wishing with all his might for that person to always be safe, hoping no one would take her apart when he had taken so much life, so many people. Had separated and ruined so many families, yet he couldn’t fathom to suffer the same suffering he had inflicted in them. Twisted, even macabre, yet he couldn’t care less.

“We’re here.” Seunghyun muttered as he pulled to a stop in a deserted street. “The chapel is two streets away.”

“Then off we go.” Jiyong said as he grabbed his Dragon mask and stepped out. Wearing dark shades, he quickly put a hat over his head and buried his hands deep in his jacket. After him, Youngbae got out, cracking his neck as he put on his jacket, looking at his surroundings.

“It’s cold.” Daesung muttered as they walked through the streets. Jiyong was trying to keep up with them, his leg throbbing hard as he pressed firmly the ground. Weakness was equal to death, so he wouldn’t let that take the best of him, even if it was making him fall behind the rest.

“Ji,” Youngbae muttered, and Jiyong shook his head, balling his hands into fists as he took deep breaths. He noticed Youngbae raised an eyebrow, then looked to the front, stopping harshly. Jiyong almost bumped on him as all of them stopped.

“What?” Jiyong muttered, and Youngbae shook his head.

“It’s there.” He muttered. All of them nodded.

“Everyone, in position. Daesung, clear view of the entrance. TOP, I want you ready at the back door. The place could be packed with the Lee’s mobs.” Jiyong explained. Everyone nodded and took off, leaving only Youngbae and him to look at their backs. “Bae, you and I will be inside.”

“Always.” Youngbae muttered and Jiyong nodded. They walked together to the chapel, both guarding each other’s back as they finally reached the main entrance. Jiyong smirked at Youngbae and opened the door, but Youngbae stopped him, holding his hand. 

“What is it?” Jiyong murmured and Youngbae smiled.

“We could finally meet the Lee Heirs, are you prepared for that?” Youngbae said and Jiyong scoffed.

“I’m dying to end this mission. The sooner the better.” Jiyong muttered and Youngbae nodded, letting go of his hand.

“Go on then, I’ll be right behind you.” Youngbae said and Jiyong nodded, entering the chapel. He moved smoothly until he hid himself behind a pillar, a gun tightly in his hand as he rested his head on the concrete. The leg started to throb, so agonizingly strong he felt the skin had been torn from it.

After him, Youngbae got in, positioning himself at another pillar, not too far from him. Jiyong made a signal for both of them to move closer to the dais, where he could take a better look of who was in there. The people were so immerse in the speeches that no one noticed their intrusion. Youngbae shook his head, gesturing him to get towards where he was hiding. It was behind a set of roses, arranged in a way that gave a perfect hiding spot for them. Jiyong smirked and moved, as silent as the shadows, to stand besides Youngbae.

“We’re in.” Youngbae muttered on his receiver. Jiyong heard the interference, then Daesung spoke.

“Perfect, I have a map of the place. Fortunately, there’s only two doors and TOP’s already checking the back one.”

“Great.” Jiyong whispered. Youngbae moved to the side, looking at the dais as someone was talking. Jiyong smiled and took out a knife, holding it on his left hand while the right one held the gun. “What do you see?” He said, but Youngbae didn’t answered. Jiyong frowned and moved, looking at the front, but Youngbae stopped him.

“I see the target, Kim Kibum.” Youngbae muttered. Jiyong narrowed his eyes as he saw Youngbae’s pale face. His body reacted to his expression, and instinctively, he put a hand over his face.

“Are you feeling alright?” He asked, and Youngbae quickly nodded. Jiyong narrowed his eyes again and concentrated on the person who was talking.

“He was the best of them all. Today, I’ve lost two fathers, I’ve tasted what lost is, but this has not weakened me, it has made me stronger. Made us stronger. For my father and my uncle, I stay strong, we stay strong. This is a mere ‘see you later’, not a ‘goodbye’, I know I will see them both, sooner or later, we will be together. Farewell, father.”

“Well, that’s lovely.” Jiyong muttered. Youngbae nodded. Jiyong moved to take another look, but Youngbae stopped him. Jiyong glared at him, it was getting on his nerves the way he was acting. “Just what the is going on with you? Are you trying to ruin this mission?”

“No, Ji. Just, let me handle this. You’re bleeding.” Youngbae said. Jiyong narrowed his eyes and looked down to see, in fact, his jean filled with blood.

“Well, .” He muttered. Youngbae nodded and looked to the dais again, then turned to look at Jiyong with wide eyes.

“I think you should just go, it’s dangerous for you to bleed like that.” Youngbae said and Jiyong scoffed.

“Oh please, I’ve bled worst. Now move, I have to see the target.” Jiyong said and tried to move Youngbae, only to be fought back.

“No Ji, just listen to me, it’s dangerous.”

“Bae, just move the out of my way or you’ll be having it. I’ll leave this bullet on someone’s head, just don’t get in my way, or it’ll be yours.” Jiyong hissed, and Youngbae shook his head. Jiyong rolled his eyes as he growled, desperately trying to get a look over at the dais.

“Just think, what good could it be if you’re dead? Move out now!” Youngbae whispered a bit louder, and Jiyong glared.

“Move I said!” Jiyong said and pushed Youngbae out of the way. Youngbae grunted as Jiyong moved to look, but froze instantly as he heard the voice of a woman speaking.

“My father,” She said and his heart stopped completely. He looked at Youngbae, who was shaking his head no as he moved to sit up. “He was someone I looked up to, a person that not only taught me everything I know, but that loved me beyond everything, as I loved him.” He put a hand over his mouth as he heard the unmistakably voice of Lee Chaerin speaking. His Chaerin speaking.

In that moment, he feared moving, he feared taking a look at the person and realizing what he was so oblivious to notice before. “I tried to protect you…” Youngbae muttered as Chaerin continued talking about how great her father, Lee Kijin, was. Jiyong, with his mouth hanging open, finally moved to take a look at the dais.

His face fell in horror as he saw her, dressed in black with one hand holding the coffin as she spoke to the people inside of the chapel. His breathing stopped and a tear fell from his face as he moved back, still looking at her talking. She looked incredibly vulnerable, completely exposed as she stood there, as tears fell from her eyes, yet, she also looked so menacing. “Abort.” Jiyong muttered as he moved back. Youngbae tried to hold him, but he continued retreating as he lowered his gun, tears falling from his eyes. “Abort the mission now.” He said.

“Jiyong.”

“I said abort!” He said louder, and his back hit a glass vase filled with water. It fell on the floor, crashing into million pieces as Jiyong widened his eyes.

“Abort!” Youngbae said and grabbed Jiyong, running out of the place. 

 


Gily's Notes: So, long chapters now!

OMG! Ji finally saw Chae as the daughter of Lee Kijin... as one of the Heirs of the Lee!! 

So, expect the intensity of his fury! lol!

Happy Reading ~

Gily ♥