Part Five

China Doll

Time had passed by and healed the physical wounds that stained Daehyun’s once flawless body. A single pale scar just above his left eye was all that remained on his restored body.

Daehyun held his newly fixed China doll in his hands as he stared at her face. She had a tiny crack just above her left eye, and the sparkle in her eyes had been restored. The doll never muttered a word to Daehyun throughout the years, but the silence weighed heavily on him.

“I’m sorry,” Daehyun whispered to the China doll.

She made no reply as she continued to stare back at him with that blank look in her eyes and her pursed red lips. Why would a doll have anything to say? What would a doll be able to say?

Daehyun felt like this China doll was more of a curse than a blessing. Ever since she came into his life, nothing but trouble followed her. The only good thing she brought to him was his brother Youngjae but even he wanted no part of him anymore.

“I’m sorry, but I have no use for dolls that bring nothing but trouble with them,” Daehyun whispered as he tossed the doll in the trash and walked away without looking back.

The beautiful doll lay on top of the garbage as if she was a useless piece of trash like them. Her fair fragile hands remained at her sides as her red dress blew in the gentle breeze. Her red stained lips remained pursed, but the sparkle she held in her eyes had disappeared as if it had never been there, to begin with.

 

 

 

 

 

Youngjae stared at the starry night sky as he sat on the porch swinging his legs back and forth like a child. Quiet footsteps could be heard as he turned his head slowly to find Junhong scooting next to him.

“The stars seem brighter tonight. Maybe that’s a sign that something good will happen soon.” Junhong commented quietly as he stared up at the night sky.

“I hope so,” Youngjae whispered.

“Do you think Daehyun will come back for you? I mean, it’s already been two months now, and there’s been no sign of him.” Junhong stated softly as he pulled his legs up and placed his chin on his knees to look at the elder.

“I don’t know. I thought he would come running to me as soon as he left the hospital, but I was wrong. For the first time in my life, I was wrong. What should I do? What if I made a mistake, Zelo? What if he doesn’t come back to me? What do I do then?” Youngjae asked quietly as fear started to build up inside of him.

Junhong turned his gaze away from the elder and balled up his fists as he spoke quietly in frustration, “he doesn’t deserve you. Daehyun is an idiot, and you shouldn’t waste your time on him. You can do so much better.”

“I know, but I don’t want better. I just want Daehyun. Who else would I be with if not him?” Youngjae asked as he turned to look into Zelo’s eyes.

“You could be with me. I have always liked you, Jae, and I know I could treat you better than him. Instead of Daehyun, can it be me, please?” Zelo pleaded in the quietest of whispers.

“Don’t like me, Zelo. It would be best if you didn’t like me. I’ll never be able to give you the things that you need. I’ll never be able to give you my love or my heart because those were taken from me a long time ago, and they were never given back. I’ll never be able to tell you how much I love you each day or tell you how beautiful you look. You deserve someone better than me that’s not broken or has a complicated past. You deserve to be with someone that can make you happy all the time and will love you unconditionally.” Youngjae stated as he reached for Zelo’s hand and gave it a light squeeze.

“And where would I find this person? There’s nobody out there that loves me like that.” Zelo replied as he lowered his head.

“There is Junhong. You just haven’t been paying attention.” Youngjae said he looked up to find Jongup walking through the back door with his signature smile on his face.

Youngjae just nodded to Zelo and smiled a little before he watched Zelo’s eyes widen in realization. The cheesiest of smiles formed on Zelo’s face as he quickly stood up and stared at Jongup.

“Jongup, would you like to go out with me tomorrow?” Zelo asked shyly as his cheeks turned pink, and he bit his bottom lip in nervousness.

“Sure.” Jongup nodded as Zelo linked their fingers together and led them back into the house.

Himchan held the door open for the two as he walked outside and sat down next to Youngjae.

“It’s about time those two make a move. Did you have something to do with it?” Himchan questioned as he arched his brow.

“A little. Junhong confessed to me, so I had to point him in the right direction. He did bring up a good point, though.” Youngjae stated.

“Which would be?” Himchan asked.

“What if Daehyun doesn’t come back to me, Himchan? It’s already been two months, and there have been no signs of him since he left the hospital.” Youngjae mumbled as he rested his cheek on his knee.

“You know, for someone so smart, you sure can be dumb sometimes. If he doesn’t come after you, then you go after him. It’s as simple as that.” Himchan replied.

“Do you think he would even want me after what I said to him?” Youngjae whimpered as he recalled his words at the hospital when he last saw Daehyun.

“And the idiocy keeps piling up with you. Daehyun is in love with you, Youngjae. Of course, he will still want you. You two are more similar than you seem to realize.” Himchan grumbled.

“How so?” Youngjae asked curiously.

“Well, you’re both stubborn as hell and won’t stop until you both get what you want. Plus, both of you are complete idiots, it seems.” Himchan informed him.

“You’re right. If I want something, I should go after it myself.” Youngjae nodded.

“At last, he has seen the light! It’s a miracle!” Himchan yelled out as he threw his hands up in an overly dramatic fashion.

Youngjae just laughed at how the elder was behaving. Himchan was right, though. Youngjae could no longer sit around and wait for Daehyun to make his move as if they were pawns on a chessboard.

Their lives were very much like the pawns on a chessboard, though. Each move they made held a purpose. Sometimes others made decisions for them, and sometimes those decisions were for the worst. There were even times in their lives where every move they made was a bad one.

There is someone who wins and someone who losses in chess, but there are times when a draw serves a far better purpose than a loss.


A/N: Phew! This story keeps having so much to say, and it refuses to let me work on my other ones. So needy. Haha! Does anyone have any ideas on what could happen next? Do you think Youngjae will actually go after Daehyun or just let him be? Comments and subscribers are welcome here. Thanks always to those of you that have already commented, subscribed, and voted up this story. Thanks!! ^_^