Renew

China Doll

Money talks.

 

 

 

 

 

Jung Daehyun is filthy rich.

 

 

 

Black eyes stared at the journal that remained clutched tightly in long fingers. A constant reminder of what had happened through-out the years and maybe a glimpse of what the future might hold.

A simple sentence scrawled on the last page gave out a glimmer of hope. A beacon of light in this constant darkness held so much and yet so little.

Find me.

The simplest of sentences often hold the most secrets. With this simple sentence, the owner was reaching out for someone or anyone who would listen.

The door's closing had the pair of black eyes glance up from the haunting past that lay within his tight grip.

“I want to come with you, Daehyun. We all do.” Jiyong spoke softly as he made his way closer towards the younger.

“I don’t know if that’s the best thing for you, Jiyong. You all won’t be able to have your medications if you leave with me.” Daehyun replied as he searched the elder’s eyes.

Jiyong let out a hearty laugh before he spoke, “do you honestly think that all of us in here have mental problems? Besides, since when do you care about any of us in here?”

“Then enlighten me so I can make my decision. All of you are friends with Youngjae, so I’m obligated to be concerned with each one of you.” Daehyun sighed as he let his fingertips brush over the worn-out journal.

“Your parents are the head of illegal slave trade. They have been buying people and putting them in this institution for many years. Your parents haven’t been caught yet, but it’s only a matter of time before they will. All those people claiming they are being relocated to a new facility are actually being sold to the wealthy for who knows what. Your secretary acts as the Head when your parents are not around. She oversees the affairs of this illegal business and gets paid to make sure you stay happy and don’t find out what your parents are up to.”

Daehyun sat there with a blank expression on his face.

The younger’s eyes remained focused on Jiyong before he spoke in the quietest of voices, “I’ll burn the files of everyone that resides here. I will leave tonight and make sure my resignation is lying on my desk after the files have been destroyed. In exactly two days, I’ll be back for all of you, so only pack up the things you need. If all of you aren’t waiting for me in the courtyard by one in the morning, then you’ll get left behind.”

“Okay. Thank you, Daehyun. We’ll find him. We will.” Jiyong stated as he turned his back on the younger and walked out, making sure to close the door behind him.

 

 

 

Daehyun pulled the black hood over his head as he slipped through the bushes and entered the courtyard. His eyes glanced over six figures with bags in their hands and huddled tightly together like caged animals.

“Is this everyone?” Daehyun whispered to Jiyong as he approached the group.

“All the ones that would come. The others volunteered to stay behind and deal with the punishment.” Jiyong whispered back.

“What punishment?”

“Death,” Jiyong mumbled as he stared at the ground along with the others.

“Shouldn’t we go save them?” The tallest in the group questioned.

“No, Zelo. It’s too late for that. We can’t turn back now. This is the choice we all made.” A husky sounding voice stated.

“We need to move now. I have a vehicle parked just outside the gate. Be quick about it, all of you.” Daehyun commanded as he grabbed them by the arms and pushed them forward.

Five figures ran swiftly through the darkness, but one stayed behind.

Daehyun walked up to the lone figure as he watched flames appear in the window.

Smoke erupted from the roof as piercing screams could be heard. Shouting could be heard as glass shattered faster than the blink of an eye. The lone figure remained motionless as he watched the scene play out before him.

“I didn’t have a choice. They were going to die anyway. Better this way than being tortured to death.” The lone figure spoke as he adjusted his hood over his face.

“We all have a choice,” Daehyun whispered as he watched the institution slowly go up in flames.

“No. That’s where you’re wrong. Choices are a luxury that some of us can’t afford.” The lone figure replied.

“Who are you?” Daehyun questioned as he glanced over at the hidden figure.

“I’m the only one around here who has actually seen the wrong in this world and didn’t do a thing to help. I’m the one who can get things done. I’m what is wrong and right in this world, but Daehyun, I’m your salvation.”

I carry the weight of the world on my shoulder.


A/N: I Thought I would post this short chapter up on my birthday since I've had it finished for a few days now. This chapter is basically just a flashback on what happened from Daehyun's point of view. Can anyone guess who the mysterious hooded figure is at the end of this chapter? A new character, perhaps? Yes, a new character is what he is. I'm warning you now; this guy is a major pyro with a ton of problems. Comments and subscribers are welcome here. Thanks to those of you that have commented, subscribed, and voted up this story. I can't tell you how much I love and appreciate the support. ^_^

p.s. I just got a tablet, so I might start writing from there. I apologize in advance if the font or just the chapters in general start to look weird. ^_^