Part Twenty-Three

China Doll

Hate is such a strong word.

 

 

 

 

 

Daehyun sat in his leather chair with a glass of clear liquid in his hands. The liquid swirled around like the waves of the ocean with every flick of the male’s wrist.

Drinking away, his problems seemed like the easiest way to go. He was not one to drink often, but a man could only take so much before he eventually succumbed to the liquid salvation that would temporarily cure his problems.

A soft knock on his door had him heaving out a long sigh as he set his glass down and casually adjusted his shirt. With a soft ‘come in’ on his part, the male watched as Youngjae strolled in restlessly with a tormented look on his face.

Youngjae’s eyes looked over at the glass that sat on the table and a slight frown formed on his face.

“You’re drinking again,” Youngjae stated in a quiet voice as his eyes met Daehyun’s.

“I know,” Daehyun whispered into the stale air.

“I thought you wouldn’t drink again.” Youngjae trailed off in quiet thoughts.

“Jae, things change. People change. I’m no longer the best friend you once knew. I’m afraid he’s gone for good. I don’t know how to be that good person anymore.” Daehyun whispered as he hung his head in shame.

There it was. Daehyun’s weak moment was there on display right in front of Youngjae. His guard had finally been let down for once, and Youngjae could certainly use that to his advantage. Youngjae could use it, but he didn’t.

Instead, Youngjae walked over to Daehyun and held his hands while he spoke in the softest voice that could melt even the coldest of hearts, “he’s still there. My best friend is still in there. I know he is.”

Daehyun bit his lip slowly as a single tear rolled down his cheek.

“It’s my fault that you’re in here. All of this is my fault.” Daehyun choked out as he stared into the younger’s eyes.

“No. It’s not. You were just concerned about me, and you had every right to be.” Youngjae stated as he shook his head.

Daehyun pressed his forehead against Youngjae’s and stared into those forgiving eyes. How could someone forgive the other for destroying their chances of having a normal life? A happy life?

The elder cleared his throat as he pulled away from the younger. Youngjae pulled his hands back and glanced curiously at Daehyun.

“Can you be my friend again, just for a little while longer?” Daehyun asked so quietly that the younger had barely heard it.

“I’ll always be your friend, Daehyunnie.” Youngjae smiled softly.

Daehyun smiled at the familiar nickname the younger had given him all those years ago. Everything seemed so much easier when they were just children. Could it still be this easy, though?

“Do you ever wonder what our lives would have been like if you hadn’t been admitted here?” Daehyun questioned as he stared at the liquid salvation on his desk in pure need.

“I do. I would have been with you instead of Minsu.” Youngjae stated in thought.

“It could still be me, though, Jae. I can take you away from here. I can help you get better. We can stay at my holiday home where it’s safe, and we can both be happy again.” Daehyun stated in excitement as a spark of hope shined in his eyes.

“It can’t be you, Daehyun. Minsu needs me right now. He needs me to be there for him, and I promised him I would be.” Youngjae replied as he shook his head.

“Why him?”

“Because I love him. You would do the same for someone you love, wouldn’t you?” Youngjae questioned as he tilted his head to the side.

“Always. I am even now.” Daehyun replied instantly.

Youngjae’s eyes seemed to draw the elder in. His voice left him captivated, hypnotized, as he felt himself being pulled in to the younger like a current. Lips were met slowly and carefully as they began to move in a synchronized fashion. This was wrong, so very wrong, and yet it felt so right.

Yoo Youngjae, can you tame the monster within?

Daehyun was the first to pull away as he stared at the younger’s dreamy haze. His thumb swiped along Youngjae’s lower lip as he felt those pair of desirable lips press gently onto the pad of his thumb.

“This would be much easier for both of us if you hated me,” Daehyun whispered as he stared into the younger’s eyes.

“I already hate you. I hate you so much that it makes me love you. We just can’t, though, Dae. We can’t do this. We can’t do us.” Youngjae replied as he ran his hand up and down the elder’s arm.

“Then let me be selfish for just a few moments more,” Daehyun whispered as he captured the younger’s lips again.

Youngjae’s hands tangled through the starlight as the kiss grew deeper and yet remained slow. Both were wanting so much more, but they knew that wouldn’t be possible. Life could be so cruel.

The younger was the first to pull away as his vision grew slightly blurry. He bit his lip as he stared at the elder with a slightly tormented look on his face.

“I hate you,” Youngjae whispered as he looked away from the elder.

“I know you do. I hate you too.” Daehyun sighed as he snatched up his liquid salvation and stared at it.

“I’ll keep on hating you.”

“I’ll make sure you do. You can leave me now.” Daehyun replied as he stared into the glass and listened for his door to close.

It was easier if Youngjae hated him. He would do everything he could to make sure he would hate him. Even if it meant taking away the one thing Youngjae loved the most.

“I hate you too, Yoo Youngjae. I'll hate you till the day I die.”

It’s easier to hate than it is to love.


A/N: Short chapter here. I wanted to post it on Valentine's Day, but work got in the way. Daehyun and Youngjae are childhood friends. Something happened, though, in their childhood that caused them to be pushed away from each other. More on that later, though. DaeJae doesn't actually hate each other, but it's far easier if they did. More on that later as well. Daehyun is a very tormented soul, so don't hate him too much here, guys. Two questions now come to mind....which of the two are actually crazy, or is it both of them? What's going to happen to Minsu now? The next chapter will more than likely be a flashback of DaeJae's childhood so we can all see what exactly happened to cause them to be pulled apart. It's pretty sad, actually. Comments and subscribers are at home here. Thanks to those of you that have commented, subscribed, and voted up this story. I love you all. ^_^