Part Twenty-Five

China Doll

Take the road less traveled.

 

 

 

 

 

Youngjae’s long fingers lingered on the pale cheek far longer than he had anticipated. He wanted to engrave this person’s face into his mind for all of eternity.

The young male wept silently to himself, making sure not to disturb the sleeping boy beneath him. How could someone as wonderful as this male go through so much pain?

A soft moan escaped the sleeping male’s mouth as his eyes slowly opened and stared into Youngjae’s softly. His hand delicately wrapped its way around Youngjae’s own hand before it threaded their fingers together.

“I’m sorry, Minsu. Did I wake you?” Youngjae whispered as he placed a soft kiss on the back of the other’s hand.

“No. You didn’t. I honestly didn’t want to sleep because I want to spend as much time with you as possible.” Minsu croaked out as he reached for the glass of water on his bedside table.

Youngjae moved over and grabbed the glass of water and helped Minsu sit up before he pressed the glass up to slightly parted lips. Minsu took slow and careful sips of the water before he gently pushed away from the glass along with Youngjae’s hand.

“I know you want to, but you need your rest to get better.” Youngjae sighed as he placed the glass back on the table.

“We both know I’m not going to get better,” Minsu replied as he pushed himself further up the bed with slightly shaky hands.

“Don’t say that. You’re going to make it. I know you are.”

“Jae, I wish that were true. I know Daehyun is the one paying for all of my treatment.” Minsu replied as he stared at Youngjae.

“What? How do you know that?” Youngjae questioned in a shocked voice.

“It wasn’t that hard to figure out. I know how much he loves you, and I know how much you love him.” Minsu quickly replied.

“I don’t love him. I love you.” Youngjae stated as he gave the other’s hand a reassuring squeeze.

“Jae, you can lie to yourself, but please don’t lie to me. I’ve seen the way you two look at each other. I’m okay with it. I really am. All I want is for you to be happy.”

“I am happy. I’m happy with you. I love you, Minsu. I promise to love you forever.” Youngjae stated as he nodded his head.

“Are you sure you want to be with me?” Minsu whispered as he had his head lowered.

“Yes. You’re such an idiot sometimes.” Youngjae chuckled before he cupped the other’s face and pressed their lips together in a gentle kiss.

Youngjae smiled into the kiss before he slowly broke away, staring at a smiling Minsu as they cuddled under the blankets together. The youngest had his head resting on the other’s chest where he could listen to Minsu’s heart beating in perfect sync with his. Minsu wrapped his arms around the other and pressed his lips into his hair.

“When I leave this world, my only wish is that you find someone who will make you happy. Find someone who will treat you as if you’re the most precious thing in the world. Find someone who will make you fall in love with them over and over again. If that person happens to be Daehyun, then I’ll be happy because I know he’ll take good care of you. Can you promise me that you’ll move on and be happy when I leave this world?” Minsu whispered into Youngjae’s hair before he planted a gentle kiss.

“I promise,” Youngjae whispered as tears fell from his eyes and landed on Minsu’s loose shirt.

 

 

 

 

 

He knew it was going to happen, but that didn’t make the pain any less bearable.

Youngjae ran down the familiar halls ignoring all of the shouts of his name from behind him. He ran as fast as he could until his chest began to tighten, and it became hard for him to breathe.

The male ran outside the building and into the pouring down rain. His feet were planted firmly into the sloshy ground as he fell to his knees and screamed as loud as he possibly could. Tears were running freely down his face as his entire body became soaking wet from the rain. He dug his fingers into the soil as he continuously hit the ground with his fist.

Youngjae in a large breath as he screamed out once again. He lifted his head and looked to the dark sky as he began to curse its very existence mentally.

The sound of hurried running could be heard behind Youngjae, along with a continuing shout of his name. He didn’t dare look behind him as he lowered his head and began to cry so hard that his shoulders starting shaking.

“Youngjae. Please.” Daehyun begged softly as he slowly reached out to touch the younger.

Youngjae looked around with pure hate in his eyes as he slowly stood up and balled up his fists. The younger took a swing at the elder and smiled in victory as his fist connected with Daehyun’s face.

Daehyun stumbled backward a bit as Youngjae took another swing at his face. The elder could feel his heart speed up as he continued to take hit after hit. He didn’t try to stop the younger as he continued to take all of the punches that Youngjae had to offer.

“Why?! Why didn’t you save him?!” Youngjae shouted out as he took another successful swing at Daehyun’s face.

“I’m sorry,” Daehyun mumbled sadly as he felt a blow across his face.

“You could have saved him!” Youngjae shouted as he punched the elder just below his eye.

“I’m sorry,” Daehyun whispered.

“Why did you let him die?!” Youngjae shouted in anger as he took his final swing at the elder.

Youngjae felt weak as he dropped to his knees in front of Daehyun and began to cry. The rain remained as it quickly wiped away the crimson that marked the elder’s face. The younger had his head hanging low as he continued to cry out and dig his nails into the soft soil.

Daehyun just stood in front of the younger, watching over him as he tried to reach out for him again.

“Youngjae,” Daehyun said softly.

Youngjae heard his name being called, and he slowly looked up only to lock eyes with Daehyun. The elder held out his hand, and the younger slowly took it with shaky hands as he was helped to his feet.

No words were spoken as Daehyun pulled Youngjae into an embracing hug. He wrapped his arms tightly around Youngjae’s back and heard soft sobs coming from the younger.

“Why?” Youngjae questioned in a muffled voice.

“We all grieve in different ways, Youngjae. If me being your punching bag helps you in some way, then I’ll gladly be it for as long as you need me to be.” Daehyun answered as he closed his eyes and rubbed the younger’s back soothingly.

“Does it get easier?”

“No. It doesn’t get easier, but it does become bearable.”

“Thank you, Daehyun,” Youngjae whispered.

“For what?” Daehyun asked in a curious tone.

“For giving me a chance to say goodbye.”

“You know why I did it,” Daehyun murmured.

“Yes. I do. Can you give me a moment alone?” Youngjae asked as he slowly pulled away from the elder’s embrace.

“Out here in the pouring rain?” Daehyun questioned in surprise.

“Yeah. I’ve always loved the rain because that’s how you and I first met.” Youngjae replied softly as he turned his back to the elder and stared out at the open road.

“Okay. I’m giving you two minutes. I couldn’t live with myself if you got sick out here.” Daehyun stated as he turned around and headed back into the building.

Youngjae continued to stare at the open space, and soon enough, his feet began to move on their own until he found himself running down that paved road.

He was running from the life he once lived and into a new one that held a new future for him.

Forgive me, Daehyun.


A/N: So Minsu has now passed away, and in his grief, Youngjae has run away from the mental institution. This opens up for DaeJae now, but it probably won't be for quite some time. I thought about ending this story in this chapter, but that would be a bit rude. I mean, DaeJae still needs to get together, and other problems need to be solved. The good news is that a former character will now be making an appearance again. *cough* Luhan. *cough* I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a happy ending to this story, but I'm not entirely sure if it will have one. Comments and subscribers are welcome here. Thanks to those that comment, subscribe, and vote up this story. Many thanks to those of you that stick with me through all of my stories. I appreciate you all. ^_^