Restart

China Doll

When one door closes, a window is opened.

 

 

 

 

 

The same question was asked every single day, and he was beginning to grow sick of it.

“How are you today, Youngjae?” Luhan would ask each time the younger would come downstairs for breakfast.

“I’m okay.” Youngjae would reply in the same monotone voice as he slid silently into his chair.

Youngjae was far from okay. He had escaped the institution and lived in constant fear for the past seven months, looking over his shoulder in fear that they would find him and drag him back.

The younger ran as far as he could from the institution until he ended up on Luhan’s doorstep cold and soaking wet with tears streaming down his face. Luhan remained silent as he pulled the younger into a hug, not caring if he would get soaked in the process.

For the past seven months, Luhan had kept Youngjae safely hidden in the privacy of his small home and made sure to cover the younger’s tracks so nobody would find him.

Luhan would go to the institution to visit his brother almost every day, and he would pass Daehyun in the halls sometimes with a tormented look on his face. He was well aware of the situation between the two, and a frown always formed on his face when he passed by the Busan native.

Today things were different in an unexpected way. Luhan was not sitting at the table to greet Youngjae like he did every day.

Youngjae glanced around the room until he heard the sound of the opening and revealing a panicked Luhan.

“Are you okay, Lu?” Youngjae asked softly as he watched the elder shrug out of his jacket and placed it on the coat rack.

“Shouldn’t I be asking you that?” Luhan chuckled before he frowned slightly.

“True. So what’s wrong?” Youngjae questioned in curiosity.

“This isn’t easy for me to say, but Daehyun quit working at the institution last night. It took all of the staff members by surprise, and now the institution will be shutting down. Apparently, Daehyun’s family bought out the institution not long after you were admitted. I’m not sure if that’s even allowed, but it probably just adds to the list of illegal things his parents have done. Nobody knows where Daehyun has run off to. Not even his parents know where he is. Rumors are going around that Daehyun is doing some shady work and looking into where you are. It’s possible that you may not be safe here for much longer.” Luhan explained.

“Let him come for me then. I’m so tired, Luhan. I’m so tired of running away. I want him to be the hero for once.” Youngjae spoke softly before he made his way outside into the cool early afternoon air.

The air cut through the younger like a knife as he sat down in the grass and looked towards the deserted dirt road.

“Daehyun, I’ll wait for you for however long it takes.”


A/N: I'm back!!! My apologies for being away for so long. I've been super busy, and my life got really crazy there for a while. This chapter is basically a reboot for the story. From this chapter and so on, we'll be getting more of Daehyun's views on everything. We'll see how everything has changed for these past seven months and how everyone copes with things. Consider the rest of this story as a sequel of sorts. I hope I'll be able to update more often now since I have things somewhat together now. I'm also working on a really long one-shot that should be up here soon if any of you would like to read that. Please be patient with me. Thank you all for the continuing support. ^_^