Part Sixteen

China Doll

The light shines brightest in the dark.

 

 

 

 

 

A small spark of light could be seen in the darkness as Youngjae sat on the loveseat, looking towards the door. His eyes remained trained on the door as he swallowed the lump in his throat that meant he was still waiting nervously for someone to come in and decide his fate.

The door opened slowly, and Youngjae could make out the shadow of a man standing in the doorway looking at him through the darkness.

The stranger slowly walked towards Youngjae before taking a seat next to him.

Youngjae could barely make out the pink hair that the stranger possessed.

“The darkness seems to like you.” The stranger spoke in a melodic voice that carried through the room.

“I think it likes you more, though,” Youngjae whispered as he tried to make out the stranger’s features but failed.

“Darkness always clings to those who live in fear.” The stranger replied softly.

“Then what do you fear?” Youngjae questioned in the softest of voices.

“Losing the one I love.” The stranger answered before he blew out the candle beside him that provided the only light in the otherwise darkened room.

Youngjae should have been afraid of what could or would happen next, but as soon as the light went out, he felt nothing but peace.

“What do I have to do?” Youngjae whispered.

“Make a deal with me.” The stranger whispered in response.

“What will it cost me?”

“Your life.” The stranger whispered so softly that it was barely heard.

“Okay.”

Youngjae felt nothing but peace as he briefly closed his eyes, and at that moment, a bright light flickered in the room.

 

 

 

 

 

Jiyong flicked the top of his lighter up and down as he sat in his chair with his legs crossed, waiting for Youngjae to walk in.

The Collector had never been one for patience as he continued to flick his lighter shut while listening to the sound of the metal pieces snapping together in harmony.

His expression never faltered as he watched Youngjae and his other guest walk silently into the room.

“It is done, Jiyong. I’ll be staying here with you both until the job is done and I collect my dues.” The stranger spoke calmly.

Jiyong’s eyes flickered to Youngjae, who was busy staring at the hardwood floor with his hands clasped together behind his back.

“Thank you, Luhan. Take any room that you want. You know where to find me.” Jiyong replied as he dismissed the pink-haired male.

Luhan bowed slightly to Jiyong before he took his leave from them and closed the door behind him.

“Youngjae, are you okay?” Jiyong asked in a concerned tone as he set his lighter down on the table.

“I’m fine. I made a deal with him, and I’m scared.” Youngjae whispered as his lips began to tremble slightly.

Youngjae quickly dropped to his knees and cried out in agony as he pounded his fists on the floor. With each hit, the sounds echoed through the room, and Youngjae’s cries grew louder.

Jiyong stood up quickly and rushed to Youngjae’s side, pulling the younger into a hug as he cried out with puffy eyes and quivering lips.

“Is this the price you have to pay to save someone you love?” Youngjae sobbed as he rested his head on the elder’s shoulder.

“What did you do, Youngjae?” Jiyong questioned as he soothingly rubbed the younger’s back.

The crying soon turned into quiet, choked sobs as Youngjae spoke quietly, “to save him, I have to give up my life and never see Daehyun again.”

“Why would you agree to something extreme like that?” Jiyong questioned as he pulled away from the younger and looked at him curiously.

“A life for a life is the price you pay. That’s how it works in their world.” Youngjae stated mindlessly as if he was in a trance.

“I had no idea. I wouldn’t have called Luhan if I had known this. I’m sorry, Youngjae. Please forgive me.” Jiyong said sincerely as he dropped to the floor in front of the younger’s feet and begged for forgiveness.

“What’s done is done. I had no choice. We all have to make sacrifices, and I understand that now. I wasn’t joking when I said I would do anything for Daehyun.” Youngjae shook his head slowly before he helped Jiyong to his feet.

“This is crazy, though. Do you honestly think that Daehyun would agree to this if he knew what would happen?” Jiyong mumbled as he shook his head.

“He’s not going to find out,” Youngjae stated as he glared at the elder before leaving the room.

 

 

 

 

 

The room was dark as Jiyong quietly slipped behind the door. He knew that Luhan had a certain fondness for the darkness in the world.

“That boy is going to die. Nothing you can say to me will change that.” Luhan spoke in a hushed tone as he crossed his legs in the armchair.

Jiyong flipped on the light switch as Luhan hissed slightly at the light. The demon kept his eyes trained on the human as he watched him take a seat on the coffee table in front of him.

“Why? Why Youngjae though, Lu?” Jiyong questioned in a curious tone.

“There have been rumors spreading like fire by my kind about him. With Youngjae out of the way, Daehyun will go insane over his loss and turn to our kind for help. He is under the control of the most powerful female demon in existence. She has probably formed a deal with him based on lies, no doubt. When the time comes, she will force Daehyun to kill Youngjae, and when that happens, she will then have full control over the most powerful man in the country. Can you imagine what will happen if her plan actually works?” Luhan asked as he smirked slightly at Jiyong.

“With Daehyun at her disposal, she could destroy hundreds, even thousands, of lives in an instant. We have to stop her, Lu.” Jiyong pleaded.

“I agree with you. I have already made a deal with Youngjae. Hopefully, this will all be over soon.” Luhan stated as he pressed his fingertips together in thought.

“I have a good idea about what deal you’ve made with him, and I want you to cancel it. Take me in his place.” Jiyong firmly stated as he placed his hand over his heart.

“Why would you want to give up your life in place of his?” Luhan questioned as he arched his brow.

“I was hired to be his protector. If I failed to reunite him with his brother Youngwon, I promised to protect him for as long as I could. He is too young to be involved in our affairs, brother. Take me in his place. Please.” Jiyong pleaded with the demon.

A sigh escaped the demon’s lips as he glanced over at the other, “it’s been a long time since you called me that. Demons making deals with other demons is highly rare, as you already know. If you truly want to save Youngjae, then I accept, but you must agree to my terms first.”

“What are your terms, little brother?”

“I will protect Youngjae from harm, but you must take his place. You must die instead of him. Two siblings of our kind cannot exist. One of us has to die. We bring nothing but bad luck with us existing like this. I’m sorry, Ji.” Luhan spoke quietly as he looked at the elder through apologetic eyes.

“No. It’s fine. I know the risks. I will gladly die in Youngjae’s place. I feel I’ve worn out my welcome here anyway.”

I am so sorry, Jiyong. I’m so very sorry.


A/N: PLOT TWIST!! Jiyong and Luhan are demon brothers. More on their backstory later on in the story, though. Something tells me that this story won't have a happy ending. I wanted to post this update sooner, but life got in the way. My apologies. I hope everyone had a good new year, though. Comments and subscribers are very welcome here. Thanks to those of you that have been commenting, subscribing, and voting up this story. I appreciate the support, and I don't think I'll ever be able to thank you all enough. ^_^