Part Two

China Doll

In the span of three years, can a person’s personality completely change? Can a person truly change and be better than they were before? Can they walk away from their past with a smile on their face?

 

 

 

The twenty-one-year-old Daehyun sat on the floor of his bedroom, clutching his China doll tightly in his hands. Time for him seemed non-existent now, and he forgot how long he had been sitting in that same spot staring at that same doll.

Had it been days, weeks, months, or even years now? Daehyun had lost track of time as he sat in his room day after day staring at his China doll that reminded him so much of his younger brother. A tear rolled down his face as he clutched the doll tightly to his chest.

This China doll was all he had left of Youngjae. Daehyun was a complete mess ever since he found out about his brother’s death. He blamed himself for what had happened to the younger. Daehyun would never be able to forgive himself for destroying the only thing he ever cared about or even loved.

Love. Daehyun had been in love with Youngjae ever since he first stepped into their home. Day after day, he found himself falling deeper in love with the younger until he felt like his heart would explode.

Daehyun remembered when they were just small children and built a blanket fort in his room and pretended to hide from their parents. Youngjae had curled up next to the elder and wound their fingers together in an innocent manner that made Daehyun’s heart flutter.

Youngjae just looked at Daehyun with those dark doe eyes and a smile on his face as he gently squeezed their hands together. The flashlight in the blanket fort illuminated their bodies, and it made Youngjae’s fair skin glow. Daehyun thought that his brother was the most beautiful person in the world.

As they both got older, the feelings only became stronger. Youngjae was growing up quickly and becoming more attractive each day. All loved Youngjae, and he could easily sway a crowd if he desired to. Daehyun would find himself growing jealous when he saw his brother talking and laughing with someone in school.

Daehyun hated how people would dote on his younger brother. He always kept a straight face and never let his feelings for his brother show. How disturbing would it be if he confessed that he was in love with his brother?

 

 

That fateful night when Daehyun’s feelings grew too strong to handle, he went into the kitchen and grabbed an unopened bottle of alcohol from the pantry. He never had drunk alcohol before in his life, but he had to make his feelings for his brother go away somehow. He popped open the bottle and drank from it, not really caring if he used glass or not.

The poison burned his throat as he chugged the warm liquid. By the time he set the bottle down, it was half-empty, and his walking became swayed a little. Youngjae was the only thought on his mind at that point.

He walked to the younger’s room and stood in awe as the moonlight shone down on Youngjae, making him look far more radiant than he had ever been. Daehyun clutched his chest as his heart threatened to beat out of his chest.

Daehyun never laid a hand on Youngjae in any kind of way. He always protected the younger and looked out for him like any brother would. So when Daehyun’s hand met Youngjae’s chubby cheek, only then did he realize what he had just done. He wanted to apologize, but Youngjae had fled the scene faster than the speed of light.

The Busan boy yelled out to the bodyguards ordering them to chase after Youngjae and bring him back. He raced after them in his own car and tried to tail his brother’s car. Youngjae swerved through traffic, trying to avoid them at all costs.

Youngjae proved to be faster than them and quickly lost his pursuers. Daehyun wouldn’t give up until he found Youngjae and apologized for what he had done.

After driving aimlessly for the past five hours, Daehyun saw something he never wanted to see.

He saw his brother’s car shooting up in flames at the bottom of the cliff. Daehyun hopped out of his car and ran to the edge of the cliff before his bodyguards grabbed him and pulled him back.

“No, Daehyun. He’s gone.” One of the bodyguards whispered in sadness.

Daehyun became enraged as he tried to fight his way out of the bodyguards’ strong grip. He tried shouting and screaming out as sirens could be heard in the near distance. Tears rolled down his face, and that was the very first time he had ever cried in his life.

Nobody noticed Youngjae hiding in the near distance watching the scene before him with blurry eyes and a tight heart. He couldn’t go back. He could never go back.

 

 

 

 

 

The warm summer breeze blew through Youngjae’s dark cherry red hair as he skated down the sidewalk on his skateboard. His two younger friends Jongup and Junhong were skating in front of him, laughing the entire time.

“Come on, Jae! My grandma can skate faster than you!” Junhong teased as he weaved around the pedestrians on the sidewalk.

“Hey! It’s my first time. Cut me some slack here.” Youngjae stated as he playfully shook his fist at the younger.

All three males reached their destination as Youngjae breathed heavily before he opened the door to the place he had lived at for the past three years.

Yongguk sat on the couch, typing away on his laptop as usual, while Himchan was humming while making food in the kitchen.

“I’m home,” Youngjae stated as he closed the door behind him.

Himchan turned his head around and smiled brightly, “well, it’s about time you showed up. Dinner is almost ready, and I see you brought friends.”

“Yeah. Sorry about that. I would have let you know, but I didn’t want to interrupt your alone time.” Youngjae chuckled as he winked at Himchan.

“Hey! No talking about that in front of children.” Himchan warned as he waved his spatula in the air.

“Oh, come on. It’s not like they don’t know what is.” Youngjae stated.

“Jae! Gross! We don’t want to picture those two going at it like rabbits.” Junhong mumbled as he flashed his tongue in disgust.

“Who’s going at it like rabbits?” Yongguk questioned as he poked his head up from his laptop.

“Nobody!” Himchan shouted as his entire face turned red from embarrassment.

Yongguk shot Himchan a questioning look before he spoke calmly, “I feel like I just missed something, but I’m afraid to ask.”

“You should be afraid, Yongguk. Be very afraid.” Youngjae cackled.

“See, this is why people think you’re weird, Jae. I honestly don’t know how I became friends with someone as weird as you.” Junhong teased.

“Psshh. Lies. You’re the weird one around here. I don’t think I’ve met anyone with your unique choice of hair colors.” Youngjae pointed out as he stared at the overly tall blueberry haired teen.

“Okay, everyone! Time for dinner. Get your butts at the table now or no food for you.” Himchan sang out as he placed food on each plate at the table.

Idle chatter and laughter surrounded the table as everyone ate the delicious food that Himchan had prepared.

“So, do you guys have any plans for tomorrow?” Yongguk questioned as he shoved a bite of chicken into his mouth.

“We’re all going to the mall to go shopping tomorrow. Youngjae needs a new wardrobe.” Junhong snickered.

“Yah! My clothes are fine, you brat.” Youngjae pouted like a child.

“Yeah, if you’re a grandpa. You’re attractive, Jae. Might as well show off your flawless body and those broad shoulders of yours.” Junhong stated as a small blush crept up on Youngjae’s face.

These past three years had been quite kind to Youngjae indeed. He went through multiple natural looking hair colors, and he bought a pair of light brown contact lenses that he always wore to make his eyes look even more doe-like. Youngjae had lost all of his chubbiness except for his signature cheeks. His once round face had now been replaced by slight angles giving him a manlier look, yet he still attained his feminine looking features. His dark lashes thickened, and his pouty pink lips were now fuller than before. The only thing that didn’t change was his cute little button nose that made girls coo at his adorable looks.

“Aww, Jae is blushing. So cute.” Himchan cooed.

“Stop. I’m not.” Youngjae huffed as he crossed his arms across his chest like a child earning laughs from everyone in the room.

 

 

 

 

 

Daehyun remained seated on the floor with the China doll clutched tightly in his hands. His thumb ran over the crack on her hand as he let out a quiet sigh.

“Daehyun, it’s time to leave now. The maids packed up all your stuff.” His mother stated in a sad voice.

His parents were sending him away to live with his aunt in Seoul. They figured he could start fresh there and finally be able to move on. Everyone grieves in different ways.

Daehyun just nodded his head slightly as he ran his fingers over the doll that reminded him so much of Youngjae. The dreaded what-ifs began to plague his mind as he squeezed the doll in his hands.

What if he hadn’t kissed Youngjae that night? What if he hadn’t drunk the poison and let it affect him? What if he hadn’t slapped Youngjae that night? What if he hadn’t fallen in love with Youngjae when he first laid eyes on him?

Daehyun gritted his teeth as he felt sharp pricks in his hands. He glanced down to find the China doll had been shattered into pieces as blood seeped out of his hands. Little shards of glass were embedded in his hands as his mother quickly rushed to his side and yelled for help.

The Busan boy stared at his bloodied hands and the now broken China doll.

His precious China doll was broken….just like he was.


A/N: So this was supposed to be a two-part one-shot, but apparently, this story decided it didn't like that idea, so now this will be a full-blown story. If anyone is confused about anything so far, please feel free to ask, and I will do my best to explain as for Daehyun and Youngjae's "new" personalities...they kind of switched personalities in a way. Daehyun is now reclusive and doesn't speak much like Youngjae did when they first met, and Youngjae is a sassy and outspoken person, similar to how Daehyun used to be. As for the most famous question...will Daehyun and Youngjae meet again? The answer is...yes! They will definitely meet again. Youngjae is living in Seoul, and Daehyun is going to live with his aunt in Seoul....see where this is going? I'm very excited about this story now, and I hope all of you will continue to enjoy it. Comments and subscribers are welcome here. Thanks to you all that have already commented, subscribed, and even voted up this story. Only two chapters in, and you guys are awesome! Thank you! ^_^